The Home Depot Reviews in San Luis Obispo, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 212 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 776 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 489 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 886 reviews)

1. "BOPIS"

Current Employee - Online Deliveries, Will Call in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Online Deliveries, Will Call in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

Great Place Great People Great place to work.

Cons

There are not any that I have had with this Great Company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work you are all awesome.

2. "Ok if you are looking for some part time work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy Work, they actually treat their employees alright, decent pay for what a joke of a job this is, they do at least promote from within so that's nice.

Cons

Too many layers of management, a cashier reports to multiple cahiers who report to a front end supervisor who reports to an ASM, who reports to a Store Manager, etc.

About a thousand other little things.

Advice to Management

Honestly there needs to be less layers of management, also hire people you think will do a decent job, not just anybody who applies.

3. "Assistant Store Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Arroyo Grande, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Arroyo Grande, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefit and bonus package. Very busy work environment. No two days are the same.

Cons

Varied work schedule. Split days off mostly. Difficult to get weekends off. It is retail.

4. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Paso Robles, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning the systems of an effective business, and driving the P&L and responsibility of the same of a $30-100 MM operation is hugely beneficial in all future endeavors!
    Ability to work with and lead over 150 GREAT employees!

Cons

Retail work schedule, Work life balance was not pushed when I worked there.

5. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts extend beyond the store.
    Friendly Co-workers

Cons

Pushes you to sign people up for their credit card or membership.
    Pushes you to request people to review your performance.

"Home Depot, what it's like."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sometimes managers don't talk to you for days. You don't have to wear expensive clothes. You can meet some very nice people.

Cons

No training, no consistency in tasking versus customer service, supervisors who do not know what you do, nor will they be trained to know what you do. Customers yelling at you when there is no help because they have cut labor hours and there is no one to help customers. Incredibly horrible, almost purposely inconsistent scheduling which keeps you exhausted.

Advice to Management

Train and be careful who you give the job of supervision and delegation. Many, many times these individuals are horribly unqualified for their jobs.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 9, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all... More

7. "Typical Corporate Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It depends on your coworkers and who you report to but generally it's a fairly easy entry level retail job, can be fun if there are good people in your department, decent starting pay.

Cons

Poor training, not great if you want an actual career, employees are just seen as interchangeable. I was a full-time college student when I was hired (as were the majority of the other employees in this particular store) and management was well aware of that, so they were good about letting us trade shifts as long as we kept our hours and kept the floor staffed. But after several months when the school semester ended, my class schedule changed and they would not let me alter my regular schedule to fit around my classes, but others who had been there longer were allowed do to so. I was reliable and a hard worker, and both my coworkers and the customers really valued me, I had never had any complaints or issues with my performance at all. So when they put me in that position, it just seemed silly and petty given that we had more than enough employees in our department to keep the floor staffed at all times. I didn't want to leave because I liked my coworkers and the pay was decent for entry level retail, but I figured if they were going to be that unreasonable about this there wouldn't be much flexibility if /when other important issues arose in the future. Even when I approached my manager's manager to see if there was any way we could resolve the issue, he said I could either quit or change my class schedule, but he would not budge an inch or offer any resolution to try to keep me on board. Then he told me my education was more important than this job and advised that I just leave. That to me communicated that I was just another disposable employee and that they'd rather hire on someone new than give an inch to keep a valuable employee.

As for the training... I was trained by sitting alone in the break room watching hours and hours of videos on a computer and taking multiple choice tests until I had "learned" enough about my department to be placed out on the floor. It really didn't actually prepare me too well and I ended up relying a lot on my coworkers in the beginning to help me learn about the department and how to answer customer questions, etc. I learned much more from my coworkers than I ever did from the computer training.

All in all it was a fun experience until the issue with my class schedule, but it's not somewhere you want to work long term if you have other options. Many of my coworkers were there for along time with no real opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Not sure what advice will be taken in such a large corporation but I'd say improve training and if you want loyal employees that perform well and keep turnover to a minimum, then do more to keep them engaged and wanting to stay.

8. "A decent place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Order Specialist in Atascadero, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Order Specialist in Atascadero, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There always seems to be opportunity here, if you work hard you can go far.

Cons

Sometimes the multitasking gets pretty intense. Depending on your experience you can be called to work anywhere in the store.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 25, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative... More

9. "Better Place to Work Than McDonalds"

Former Employee - Cashier in Atascadero, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Atascadero, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extensive training; Decent benefits; Transfer oppportunities

Cons

Construction industry in a slump; Sales are down

10. "It's tough to please everybody"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair compensation and shared rewards when you meet 95% of projected sales.

Cons

The hurdles can be raised in insurmountable ways. If your department does little maintenece throughout the day and you close, it is your neck on the line. The customer is first but frieght and instocks are simultaneously demanding. It is verboten to task for 8 hours a day, during which time you are expected to engage with customers. On days with few customers the same standards apply. This inhibits any thing from being accomplished in the store and stokes mansagements frustration. Your job is conficting in regards to what you need to do and what you should do. Injuries are also unavoidable.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to serve customers with a clean, replete store. The customers money should not always outway the earnest intentions of your employees.

Showing 11 of 18,288 reviews