The Home Depot Reviews in San Rafael, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

"Competence not required. Just show up on time!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Paid training. Great co-workers. Never a dull moment in a busy store.

Cons

Understaffed. Lack of support from Corporate. Inexperienced, under-educated managers. Raises are very low. Employees treated like they are disposable. Easy to get fired for stupid reasons.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees; take their suggestions seriously. Financially reward people for competence and excellence.

2. "Don't take care of their people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Rafael, CA

Pros

Not that difficult to get hired there, especially on graveyard shift.

Cons

Low pay, don't have any respect for the night crew.
    Ridiculous firing criteria. Three times you're late, even by one minute, and you are fired, no questions.

Advice to Management

Clue int the fact that mutual respect will get you better results from your workers.

3. "dept mgr"

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Rafael, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

none i can think of. this is not a good company to work for they treat all of their employees badly from top to bottom.there is a constant turnover and no one lasts very long.

Cons

they have scheduling arrangements which are essentially harassment the schedule is not posted until a few days before it occurs and can be anything, consequently there is no planning for your life. this is especially true for single parents who must arrange child care it is way too hard to deal with their method of schedules

"Great work environment, lousy communication"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Associates primarily work in their designated department and trained in all areas of the store, making us knowledgeable in surprising areas. The pay is really good too.

Cons

They hired me and were happy with me, and then one day people in my department got laid off, including me. It seems we were seasonal employees and not informed of it till we were let go.

Advice to Management

Make sure the employees are told when they're hired that they will be terminated in 3 months. It's only fair.

"San Rafael, Home Depot Should Be Tip Top and It Is Not!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

High income zip code. High Volume Store. Customers are great.

Cons

This store could be the best of the best in the US. Why isn't it? Turn Over, turn over, turn over. Seems like everyone in management with the exception of one or two is waiting to transfer. The place is a nightmare. Starting with the people doing the hiring! These "HR" people could not find their way out of a paper bag. And they complain they can't keep people? They hire only Part Time people and pay a wage that is Not livable in Marin County. They are then hiring from Richmond, even the store manager commutes for over an hour each day! The entire store is in disarray. The offices, training room and break room are horrifying! The place is demeaning. If you want good employees you have to know how to hire them and treat them with Respect. The bay area is a very competitive place. This Home Depot should be the highest grossing with customers like George Lucas coming in! The stores in San Francisco have learned you have to have a high end service base to make money with the high end customers. There is trash and filth every where. Even the manager's offices look like a homeless camp. None of the computers work. Customers complain that they can never get through to anyone the phones and try calling for weeks. The whole atmosphere is so negative and demeaning. When anyone knows you work at Home Depot--they come up with a horror story of working there, knowing someone that worked there or a problem. The store has a terrible reputation. The manager pretends to care and it is very obvious he does not have the ability to do anything but bide his time. Sad situation. This store should be the crown jewel!

Advice to Management

Have stronger leadership and management in this store. More experienced and mature leadership. Treat people with respect. Engage in a real way with employees. Have a nice atmosphere starting with the break room. An outside sitting area would be nice without smokers, flies, garbage etc. Get some fortitude. Hire good people. To hire these people you must bring them on with better pay and full time. Who can survive on part time pay? The hours burn people out. Be Civil about it all around. The management seems burned out too. Work/Life Balance? Respect. Get some computers that work. Make sure customers get helped on the phone. There are tons of disgruntled people out there in Marin County! You could make so much more money if you had a good reputation!

6. "Low Pay--Low Morale"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mostly steady work at all hours of the day and night, depending on when they choose to schedule you.

Cons

This company goes through workers like tissue paper--and they view its workforce like it! They grind through people because Home Depot is a company that does nor care for nor value its employees.

7. "Home Depot will treat you poorly"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Rafael, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They claim customers come first. The company even empowers sales associates to be bale to discount items as mush as $49.99 without a manager's approval.

Cons

Once a customer receives a discount on an itmem, Home Depot management personnel will counsel you, telling you how much the discount hurts the bottom line. Managers in all departments behave like glorified kings and queens of their roosts. The culture is very petty, combined with extremely low pay. Low morale is common.

Advice to Management

Get a life and stop treating workers like doormats.

8. "solid, but draining."

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great full/part time benefits of medical, dental, 401k (an other plans- great company match), health programs, day care assistance, vacation/sick time.
    Profit sharing potential twice a year for hourly dependent on top-line sales; salaried gets up to 50% bonus dependent on bottom line figures.
    Solid company - no concerns with employee retention (you have to be an idiot to get fired, and even then, it's hard).
    Can transfer to different locations all over the States.
    Easy work
    Can work multiple departments to pick up hours.
    Open door policy with strong Human Resources.
    Sense of pride with set programs to give back to the communities.
    Decent starting pay for retail.
    As far as retail is concerned, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better company.
    The current CEO/Pres really has done wonders for the company - he's a good leader and has a great team at the upper level, including Marvin Ellison and Carol Tome.

Cons

No employee discount.
    The schedule is all over the map - HD does not understand the term "circadian rhythm."
    If you're salaried, you're working a minimum 50-hr week, with rotating schedules, with starting pay only being about $48k.
    If you're part time and/or going to school, you can get plugged with 40 hours anyway, or shafted down to 8 in a week.
    Needs of the business can outweigh the needs of your personal life - you're an expendable slave.
    Little to no overtime allowed.
    How your department, or even your whole store runs, is up to who's in management at the time. There is little to no consistency with managerial expectations of style.
    They're trying to automate their inventory ordering, so if you're running a department, you will have a difficult time with inventory management.
    Raises are once a year, but they are typically $0.25-$0.50. I had a manager tell me once I owed him for my $0.52 raise.

Advice to Management

There is little to no work/life balance with salaried positions. I can't tell you how many burnt out Assistant Managers I've seen in my years with the company - it's why I refuse to be considered for promotion, and why there's a lack of a qualified pool for promotion. I've even seen a manager put a cot back in the office because of how much he was being slave-driven. Dangling the potential monetary bonus carrot can only last 2-3 years before the store's leadership looks like the walking dead.

Showing 8 of 16,254 reviews