The Home Depot Reviews in San Ramon, CA | Glassdoor

2.2
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 210 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 776 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 488 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 883 reviews)

1. "Garden associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

coworkers were easy to get along with.
    I learned a lot about plants which will be use for my own use.
    Customers were nice.

Cons

Managers often in times do not know how to encourage you.
    Sometime you might feel like you do not have any one from management on the floor.

Advice to Management

They really need to show more support and care towards their employees. The store changes managers as often as customers come and go from the store.

2. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-working with customers
    -great working relationship with most fellow sales associates

Cons

- bad local management
    -never listens to input from sales associates
    -people with poor skills are being promoted and protected
    -very physical job with lots of walking on concrete floor

Advice to Management

- Listen better to sales associates
    - communicate better with staff

"Great company moving the right direction with strong UPPER management."

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in San Ramon, CA

Pros

#1 in the industry, great stock options for long term employees, Work hard, do your job and you will get promoted.

Cons

Retail..... Standing all day on concrete and wearing an orange bib. Good old boy network, seems like unless you have the whatever it takes attitude, you have to put in your YEARS to move up.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in new talent from the outside to run your stores. Stay focused on 10 things instead of 100 things. Be great at 10 or below avg at 100. They are a great stock to own as well.

4. "It is what you make it"

Former Employee - Electrical & Lighting in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical & Lighting in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Community building is great as you get to help people who are local that genuinely need help. Great potential to learn about many aspects of life, from people and their projects.

Cons

Chatty tendencies. The facility I was at felt like rival cliques were formed between departments. The older employees didn't feed into this BS so I remained friends to them no matter what happened (also it was their career, so they cared more).

Advice to Management

Reward those who work hard and don't use people as tools.

Aug 18, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing. An important part of The Home Depot is giving of our time, talent, energy and resources to our community and society.

5. "This store is not only big in size, but also big when it comes to customer satisfaction!"

Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service/Cashier in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will find practically any tool, lumbar, plant you might need to help develop your work or household projects in life. In the end, as long as they are patient, the customer is usually 8/10 ALWAYS satisfied. There is always something to do.

Cons

Only the benefits for part time workers is terrible due to the Obama Plan. Salary also needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Work on improving salary increase, benefit improvement, and more security options for exits and entrances. Don't let prior lawsuits get in the way of your current customers and employees safety.

Mar 31, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to customer service. Keep up the great work!

"I was so wrong to think this company would be a great place to work for..."

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can't think of any at this time...

Cons

Training. Not consistent, (they don't have a "certified trainer" that trains you per company's policies, so you're taught different practices and told "don't do this when management is around).

-Pay. I came to THE Home Depot with 15+ years of customer service, cash handling, management, yet was only offered $9.50/hr to start.

-Misleading Interview. When interviewed, they lead me to believe that I could/would get a raise soon after I began working there and showing my great customer service skills, etc... This is not "that kind of place."

-Employee Discount (in store). There isn't one!

I could go on...

Advice to Management

Start speaking up for your "subordinates" (you know we need more pay and better training!). It's only a matter of time when you might need assistance, and if you haven't been there for us - you can count on us turning the other way on you.

Jan 14, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are... More

"Thanks for ruining YardBird's!!!"

Former Employee - Cashier, Instead of What I WAS DOING!!! in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Instead of What I WAS DOING!!! in San Ramon, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. I guess there were a few people that I enjoyed working along side.

Cons

Where do I start?
                 Let's see, many of you outside of California are probably not familiar with YardBird's Electric and Plumbing. It was one of the last great FAMILY OWNED hardware stores. Their first store opened in Petaluma, CA. They had about 18 stores throughout California, mainly in the Bay Area. I worked at the Clayton location and I loved it! I started as a cashier and expressed my interest in the garden center. I was promoted with three months to nursery personnel. I received THREE raises with one year. Of course, this was 2003 when the economy was doing well. They always stressed the importance of family values and that people, even though we worked in retail, had a personal life. I loved my coworkers, we were definitely a family. Anyway, Mr. Headly decided to sell due to his ailing health. Unfortunately, Home Depot were able to con him into signing over the company. Mind you, Mr. Headly made it a point to keep Home Depot out of Petaluma for many years. So they came in with their 'fancy' HR terds and put a veil over our eyes and told us whatever store we wanted to move to, they would make it happen.
                The Home Depot ended up keeping YardBird's store open with the exception that they took out building materials (concrete, lumber, etc.) In turn, they bought a bunch of overpriced, fancy sinks, toilets, and unnecessary crap a homeowner didn't want nor need. In the end, all of the stores went belly up and they were all closed, leaving those who worked for YardBird's stranded.
                 After moving to my store in San Ramon, CA, I became so depressed as I became more familiar with their practices. And the fact that I wasn't placed in the garden center as my original position, instead they stuck me at a CASH REGISTER. Real good their promises turned out to be. The staff were lazy, rude, and thought of it as just a job. Funny how Home Depot's focus is on customer service, yet the employees run the other way if a poor customer, god forbid, has a question or needs direction.
                I was there two years too long and I'm glad I'm gone now. That's The Home Depot for ya in a nutshell.

Advice to Management

This is really directed to the corporate staff, whoever you may be. Respect those who line your pockets with green and do all of the hard work; there are some out there. Focus more on training those in all departments so that they are confident in helping customers. Take the time to LISTEN to your staff and your customers.

Showing 7 of 18,243 reviews