The Home Depot Reviews in Sandy, UT | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 879 reviews)

"department head. Key carrier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun fast and friendly environment, I was able to move up the ladder very fast, I was a department manager within 6 months!

Cons

A lot of stress and work, with a random schedule and not great pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to all the employees about all their concerns.

"Needs better pay"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Sandy, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits for part-timers. Offers tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Not a great pay scale. Did not receive a differential when I was working nights.

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Part Time Cashier in Sandy, UT

Pros

Consistent steady hours I can count on. Part-time can work up to 29 hours a week and I consistently year round get 29 per week, even in the off seasons, sometimes a bit more hours when they need it. I average $1073.00 per month gross. Great people to work with. Lots of opportunities to expand to other positions if that's what you want. Me, I like being a cashier. Benefits include sick time, seems like 2 hours per month. Right now I have 20 hours sick time. Also 20 hours vacation first year, 40 hours vacation the 2nd year and 80 hours the 3rd year. If you want to be a head cashier you make .75 cents more per hour and can get 40 hours per week. There are a few full time cashiers, but they have been there awhile.

Cons

It's tough when other people quit with or without notice throughout the store, which is often, so get used to always being short handed. It's hard to give excellent service when the team is covering so many missing people.

Advice to Management

Scheduling extra people would be so nice, so we could all actually do our own jobs and you wouldn't have to run around putting out so many fires.

The Home Depot Response

Jul 13, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We will share this information with others. We appreciate your hard work.

4. "Specialty Mgr."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

Pros

Pay was good. Worked in Jeans.

Cons

Lack of Leadership. Lack of Hr leadership

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Associate in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Associate in Sandy, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and if you're the type of person that wants to learn you can pick up various skills.

Cons

They used to start out the new hires at $12.00, now it's $9.75. I'm presented with a new quandary every day; do the job right and have my supervisor scold me, or do a mediocre job, then get criticized. It seems that you just cannot please them.

Advice to Management

My observation thus far is that Home Depot's management model is fear. When they know the higher-ups are coming for an inspection, they scurry around like paranoid mice to make the store presentable in the fashion they believe the higher-ups want to see.

You can't talk the talk and leave it at that. If you don't build a solid foundation of content employees, all the corporate lies you spew are empty words. And, it's an outright insult to the associates.

For the few upper management folks I've met, your listening skills are in need of improvement, and stop trying to second guess what we're thinking. Also, keep your egos in check. Only the suck-ups pretend to be impressed.

Treat your great employees like royalty and fire the one that are there just to collect a paycheck.

The Home Depot Response

Mar 5, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

Showing 5 of 18,043 reviews