The Home Depot Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "zero work/life balance as a salaried manager" (in 524 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 919 reviews)

1. "kitchen & bath design"

Former Employee - Unemployed in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Unemployed in Watsonville, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very professional, clean, courteous and organized.

Cons

I think some of the displays could be displayed better.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed working for home depot and I use their services regularly.

Jan 17, 2019 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

"They don’t care about you"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had to pause and think for a minute... you can purchase Home Depot stock at a 15% discount and sell it back to them later if you like, so there’s that.

Cons

Little room for advancement. Pay isn’t commensurate with the work. Raises are laughable and barely keep up with inflation, if they do at all. Attempts to unionize result in mass firings. Imagine how awful customers coming to a home improvement store can be. Drug test if you get hurt or break something worth more than $200. Assistant managers are often useless.

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage and treat employees with more respect.

"customer service associates"

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Soquel, CA
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Soquel, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

co-workers were nice to work with the pay was pretty good

Cons

the early morning and late hours customers were difficult upper management mediocre

Advice to Management

there just not enough help most of the time. I didn't buy the excuse they had to save money

"Freight Associate"

Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Soquel, CA
    Former Employee - Freight Team Associate in Soquel, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with. You are left alone to focus on your work.

Cons

Pay falls short. Boss only offers full time to people he likes. Even if they don't come to work. Hard work does not pay off here.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the employees that actually work.

5. "Fun!"

Former Employee - Cashier in Capitola, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Capitola, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the store I worked at the support from all the employees was great. The departments were very cohesive. They give incentives which is great and helped me to work harder and helped me to reach my goals faster. It also made working fun.

Cons

Knowing all the products in the store. When I took the job I was not knowledgeable in home improvement. But you are able to call around to the other departments for help which is great but sometimes they are busy helping other customers.

Advice to Management

Management was great and they are about their employees!

"dissapointing"

Former Employee - "Specialist" in Soquel, CA
    Former Employee - "Specialist" in Soquel, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

almost always hiring, its a job, fairly low expectations

Cons

false promises of advancement, bad dept. management, sloppy rule structure, wasteful resource practices, LOW PAY, stock holder run philosophy, disregard for employee experience, quality employees and basic human needs of those who do the day to day work for which any good business stands strong.

Advice to Management

respect your people, you are not doing it alone

Oct 19, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they have... More

"Sell your soul for unpaid overtime"

Former Employee - Special Services Supervisor in Soquel, CA
    Former Employee - Special Services Supervisor in Soquel, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management experience, ability to move up within company and lots of opportunities in that regard. Benefits are great, health insurance even for part-time.

Cons

Last minute schedule changes, unrealistic expectations from management. Constant short staffing, pawning off of customer problems to lower level management. Expectation of working overtime unpaid.

Advice to Management

Set good examples. Don't pretend to understand somebody's job if you do not. Don't make people work as coverage for 3 departments at once. Allow department supervisors to have coverage in their departments.

Jun 19, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

8. "Part timers limited to 29 hours per week - new hire wage increased"

Current Employee - Flooring Associate in Capitola, CA
    Current Employee - Flooring Associate in Capitola, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowing ahead of time the hours allotted are beneficial to the employee, scheduler and supervisors. In my opinion, a major benefit of this program should alleviate the corporate liability of those 'part-timers' that had been working 30 to 40 hours a week. Based on 32+ hours a week or more, at what point in time is a 'part-timer' considered full time and entitled to full time benefits? Also in my opinion, the new hire wage increases may be there to offset the potential ObamaCare directive. If/when implemented, ALL part-time employees would be required to have health care coverage. As an example the $200 per month insurance costs would be partially offset by the new wage, keeping Home Depot's wage competitive and able to draw part-timers to work.

Cons

A perfect example of the flip side to the 29 hour rule - I was called by another associate to cover his shift. I had to decline, since I already have my 29 hours for the week. This leaves my department shorthanded on a retail Sunday. Also, I am not able to attend the profit sharing Sunday meeting in March - again, I am already at my 29 hours.
    A major con on the wage increase is that it is NOT across the board. In other words, there is already dissension among the ranks when a one, two, three year associate is required to train someone with less skills, yet that new person is making more than them.

Advice to Management

First and foremost - kudos for an exceptional job turning the company around since 2007!! It's been a tough economy and although there are signs that things are turning, I don't believe we are out of the woods. Wages will always be a tough issue. There must be some formula for maintaining fairness so that current employees don't feel as though they are being unfairly taken advantage of by the rates of the new hires.
    My suggestion still stands from three years ago - implement a bonus for those associates that take the time to learn other departments. Not the one time $100 - how about a $.25 to $.50 per hour increase.

"Very disappointing as a career opportunity. The company has no regard for the future of its employees."

Former Employee - Department Manager in Watsonville, CA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Watsonville, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I had a chance to work with were always very courteous and realistic people. It is rewarding to help customers with their home, but only if you have the correct training.

Cons

Hours and schedules are extremely erratic and do not allow for a normal lifestyle. The corporate structure is very political and each person is only willing to make decisions based on their own well-being. The company has a ridiculously high turnover rate at higher levels of management which leads to a tumultuous experience for any employee attempting to establish a reputation and move up quickly.

Advice to Management

Recognize your talent while you still have it. No company can truly succeed without establishing a proper system for taking advantage of the skills and abilities of its employees.

"Overall, have been very happy there."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

Pros

I like the people i work with there.

Cons

The money isn't great for what I do and my experience level.

Showing 11 of 19,812 reviews