The Home Depot Reviews in Scottsdale, AZ | Glassdoor

Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Need more hours"

Current Employee - Cashier in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment availability for future advancement. Potential for health benefit and stock options. The company provides flexible work hours

Cons

Not enough hours to support myself needed to wait for full time position and needs to wait for benefits. Had to work all odd shifts to get to full time

2. "Department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than a year)

Pros

This is great job security, ability to move up, and you can make a significant impact on each individual store.

Cons

Pay is awful, hours are worse, and your experience good or bad is tied heavily to your manager. Oh and if you want to move up, expect years of work in between positions and a lot of brown on your nose.

Advice to Management

Follow SOP and take personal accountability

3. "LOVE MY JOB"

Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate - Flooring and Walls in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working for the home depot. They really care about there associates. The other associates at my store have been so friendly and approachable since day one. I really enjoy the products because I am so into doing home projects myself. So many growth opportunities if you're willing to work for it. Full benefits and good wages from the start.

Cons

The online training can take a while, especially when all of the computers in back are being used or the system is running slowly.

Advice to Management

There should be a better system of keeping track of back stock that is in the upper shelves. Just like how detailed it is set up to find purchasable merchandise; there should be a set up for the excess to make it simpler to find pallets for customers needing products like tile.

4. "Hardware CSR."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

fun place to work team work

Cons

low pay .. hard off hours

5. "It's a good starting point"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Educational, good networking, good retail experience, great benefits. They also provide in-house leadership training for those looking to get promoted, and don't care about education levels for internal promotions, even at the ASM and Store Manager Positions.

Cons

Long, stupid retail hours. Also very political at times, and with that many people working in the store it can get very middle school drama-ish at times. Full-time full-flex, wouldn't even work with my school schedule.

Advice to Management

Take more care of the associates, many times I would see stores not meet sales and the district manager would make the ASM's work 6 days a week, 12 hour shifts, and that's not good for anyone, nor does it make sales improve.

"Cashier or Credit Pusher?"

Current Employee - Cashier in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is long but comprehensive. Most managers and fellow staff are friendly and helpful. Respected the fact I had another job and didn't schedule me for conflicting hours.

Cons

Cashiers are read the riot act if they don't deliver new credit card sales daily/weekly. That is never emphasized in training or orientation. Lead cashiers & managers get a "cut" of CC sales, the cashier gets NOTHING but reprimanded if they don't ask/sell. Cashiers should focus on selling home improvement AND NOT selling credit cards to customers. Duh! But that's to please managers and stockholders. Transaction expected to fit an ideal "2-minute" time frame. Many customers have lots of little items, questions, get interrupted by cellphone calls, have no or invalid sku's ... out of the cashier's hands. Raises: one associate told me his one-year review gave him .27 cents raise. 27 cents! And you start at 9.00/hr. And they keep us all under 25-30 hours so they don't have to pay insurance or benefits. Promotions are hard, so many trying for so few positions in other depts. They start most off as cashiers and then move from there but it could take a year or more, and tons of required PK videos to watch and test.

Very afraid of, and negative about, the Unions getting in, BTW. It's interesting how much HD's training videos pound the Unions and portray them as evil. No wonder, this company is no way like the founder's original business, that disappeared after they sold HD to capitalists and went public. LOL working here.

Advice to Management

Cashiers are hired to be courteous, accurate and show up as scheduled. To ring customers up and answer questions or call for service help (key cutting) if asked. Cashiers focus on selling home improvement AND NOT selling credit cards to customers. And every transaction cannot make the ideal "2-minute" time frame. Many customers have lots of little items, questions, get interrupted by cellphone calls, have no or invalid sku's ... out of the cashier's hands. Get real and stop going by idealistic metrics set by number-crunchers, marketing teams and all to boost shareholder profits. Get back to your core business: hardware and home-improvement. It's you business ... stupid!

The Home Depot Response

Jul 3, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly... More

7. "Cashier pushed to sell to sell credit cards and protection plans."

Former Employee - Cashier in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Work with a good bunch of people. Some customers become you regulars that you get to know well.

Cons

Management is nothing but a bunch of backstabbing, walk all over top of everyone they can to further themselves in their position! Never tell you of policy changes till you violate one then they give you a point! 10 points later you are fired!

Advice to Management

Remember where you started out and don't lie to make yourself look good. Because to me and others you are just a wanna be!

8. "Hard work for little pay"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly busy, never really a dull moment. The hours are flexible and they are good about working around your school schedule.

Cons

The pay is not good compared to the work that has to be put in on the job.

Advice to Management

Management for the most part is good. The structure of management could use some improvement but overall a good team.

9. "Alright Company, Crappy Store Management"

Former Employee - Morning Packdown in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Morning Packdown in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was fun Working With Fun People, And you learned alot from the Contractors that came in

Cons

Not so great benefits if you're part time,almost paying $100 for benefits on only 20hrs a week.

Showing 9 of 15,638 reviews