The Home Depot Specialty Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 510 reviews)

• "The hourly pay for full time employees" (in 910 reviews)

"Specialty Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Geneva, IL
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Geneva, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many great benefits to full time associates. Great work enviroment. Gaining of great experience through amazing training, both theoretical as well as hands on.

Cons

None that would be considered a con to me.

Advice to Management

I believe they should be well versed in the systems of all specialty departments. Many things change, and poeple consistently change departments. I think managers should do a better job of accounting for that. Particularly Flooring, Millwork, and K&B design. Appliances really sell themselves and tends to be the only ones they are versed in.

"You are completely replaceable to them, even after a year and a half of hard work."

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people there are awesome and care a lot about coworkers and customers. There are okay benefits even for part timers. You can easily move around in the company.

Cons

The management is a mess. The pay is what you would expect for retail. You can give this place everything you have and you will get overlooked. People will get promotions around you who do half the work you do. Don’t give it your 100% because if you do you won’t get noticed, they’ll always just expect it.

Advice to Management

If you have an employee who wants to move up in the company and give this place 120% effort, when they ask why they weren’t put in the classes to move up, don’t tear them down. Don’t tell them they aren’t good enough despite the 120% they already give, all the extra tasks they take on that they don’t have to. Don’t rip them apart saying that they don’t delegate well when they just want to do some of the work themselves. This happened to me and it killed all passion I had for this company. I left a couple months after because I hated the place ever since.

3. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Hollywood, CA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am very knowledgeable about tools , in general. I have very good customer service skills. I worked in a non- commissioned sales position , but they did track our sales. My sales were always in the top 10%..

Cons

It was our job to make sure the customer walked out of the store with something close to what they came into buy.

4. "Working at the home depot"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Bronx, NY

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits! Good salary for being retail.

Cons

Hard job. They want to make u work harder than what are u supossed to work

Advice to Management

Management it is good. But some supervisors are not.

"It's OK"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Cockeysville, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They train you very well to help you prepare for your position. They seem like a friendly and fun place to work. They place a high emphasis on customer service and strive to make sure all of their employees know this as well. After some time you can get close to your fellow associates and it can feel like family.

Cons

I feel like I'm getting worked to death. Some days I'm forced to skip my lunch because of lack of coverage in the store, or stay after I'm supposed to be off. They don't pay overtime so if you go over your hours you have to trim them later in the week. Working in some of the stores I've seen some crazy things, both by customers and by associates. Keeping the occurrences for 6 months is a bit much.

Advice to Management

Keep the occurrences from 6 months down to 3. Stop working us to death. It's not hard to make a schedule and have every department covered. Take care of the associates better. You always say that we're the backbone of the company then start treating us as such.

6. "Specialty Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Newburgh, NY

Pros

Benefits as a full time associate are second to none in retail. The new Set shift schedule as opposed to set days is great so you can work around your work schedule.

Cons

A ton of training upon being hired but depending on what department you are in it varies and is very much needed.

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Pomona, CA

Pros

It can be fun if you like dealing with the public

Cons

A lot of petty politics, favoritism. Management seems to favoritism over ability and productivity

Advice to Management

Hire more outside managers. Store level assistant managers seem to only pro.ote idiots like themselves.

8. "Best place to work as a student"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot (More than 5 years)

Pros

going to school one of the best places to work as a part-time associate

Cons

No Cons only the upside as a support to go farther than a career at Homedepot

Advice to Management

Should have kept EXPO Design Center. I know and order the better products you sell not in the stores shelves.

"A place to find refuge from the financial meltdown of '08, '09. Nothing more."

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Uhhhhhh . . . I'll need to get back to you on that one. But the pay, though skimpy, is steady. How's that for an endorsement?

Cons

The fear of thought. The duplicity. The cronyism. The pervasive climate of fear in general. The lack of positive reinforcement. The "reviews". A dinosaur of a retailer, run by the least creative and unaware people I have ever encountered.

Advice to Management

If your entire career has been with the Depot, then you can not possibly be aware of the fact that the world has moved on to a more progressive approach to capitalism. The future is going to be bumpy.

"department worker"

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Newnan, GA
    Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Newnan, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Low pay, unrealistic sales expectations, work most weekends, split days off, backstabbing and poor management

Advice to Management

Get organized and realize a good worker when you have one. Try to help make their life somewhat normal with some kind of schedule that is not all over the place. Changing management a lot causes promises and goals set up for career opportunities to go away