The Home Depot Reviews in Sterling, VA | Glassdoor

Craig Menear
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 450 reviews)

• I wish my position was full time (in 811 reviews)

"MET Associate"

Former Employee - MET Associate in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - MET Associate in Sterling, VA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great schedule, M-F Daytime in a retail location

Cons

Pay too low to live off of.

"Retail Sucks"

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Sterling, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. 401k, stock purchase program, tuition reimbursement, small but twice-a-year bonuses, paid holidays, above average medical and dental plans. (if you choose to pay for them)
    They've implemented set schedules in the stores that I work in. If you're a hard worker and a butt-kisser you can climb the ladder pretty quickly.

Cons

The pay sucks at the entry level. One does NOT work at HD for the pay unless you're management material. I started at $10.65 an hour four years ago with 30 years of experience in the trades and am STILL not even making $12 an hour. Small, but annual raises. The store closest to me has a new Lowes in town and is starting associates with zero experience in retail or construction at a minimum of $12 an hour. Real fair. Be prepared to work with some VERY lazy co-workers.

Advice to Management

An example of the type of hypocrisy that exists at HD: My manager came to check on the project that I was involved in last night and asked how things were going. I replied that it was going well and that I was waiting for a piece of machinery to become available so that I could drop more product. He proceeded to encourage me to not let the lack of a reach-truck interfere with my productivity in spite of the fact that when he approached me I had plenty to do and was working hard. Needless to say I was miffed but I've become used to this sort of stupidity and ignored him. The kicker? One of the associates that he was supposed to be supervising in another part of the store was sleeping in the break room less than 50 feet away and had been sleeping for almost two hours. Oblivious.

3. "My Experience at The Home Depot"

Former Employee - Bagger in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Bagger in Sterling, VA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great pay.
    -Interesting inventory.
    -A lot of nice people (customers and coworkers)

Cons

-Not knowing everything and customers asking questions which I do not know the answer to.
    -Some mean angry customers
    -Being mistreated by coworkers and customers sometimes.

Advice to Management

N/A

The Home Depot Response

Sep 29, 2016 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected.

Showing 3 of 16,246 reviews