The Home Depot Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance needs improvement (in 445 reviews)

• Part time hours need full time job (in 798 reviews)

"Learned a lot, hated the experience."

Former Employee - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An opportunity to learn if you're willing to be pro-active, and you can learn from everyone: other employees, contractors, suppliers, and customers. You get many, many points of view to make helpful comparisons.

Cons

Basically, the company has no respect for its employees or its customers. It is focused entirely on making money for its senior management, board of directors, and major stockholders (many of whom are ... guess who ... senior management and the board of directors). Under its founders, it was a good place to work. Since they left, it's become "The Walmart of Hardware". Forewarned is forearmed.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your employees. Don't treat them like naughty, retarded children, or worse. Don't make yourselves rich while keeping them in the "working poor" class.

2. "Not too shabby"

Former Employee - Floor Associate in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Associate in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Home depot. Eight years ago I graduated from high school and decided to look for a part-time job to help fund my college/party expenses. As an eighteen year old with no experience I applied for HD and soon enough found myself employed as a flooring specialist at $11 an hour. Pretty nifty! Not only is the starting wage, at least back then and in CA, good but you are also given the opportunity to work autonomously. In other words, you are given the liberty to do what you feel needs to be done whether it be in your department, mostly, or in other sectors of the store. So when it comes to retail this ability to walk around an area of at least 3000 square feet, in contrast with being stuck in a small confined area, is very comforting. I liked to so much that I worked there for over two and a half years.

Oh yes. And while it is unprofessional I must admit that playing jokes with fellow associates via the intercom was quite hilarious. "Hello?..... Helloooooooo?!"

Cons

The customers! Uggh! Not all of them mind you. Not even the majority for that matter but its those few, entitled-laden, arrogant individuals that can really screw up your day. I once witnessed two grown men fight over a cart in my department. From what I gathered man (A) brought in a flat cart (the kind that looks like a bed with wheels) from the outside, left in one aisle as he went around to the next one. While man (B) walked in, saw the empty cart, and claimed it for himself. (A) comes back and wants the cart back. (B) says that it his fair and square. As they bickered like children I ended up angrily walking outside and grabbing a cart of one of them. I left them sort out who the lucky winner of the new cart was.

In short, you'll need to develop a tolerance for these situations seeing as how young adult can exhibit more maturity than a middle-aged father.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible in scheduling employee.

Showing 2 of 15,925 reviews