The Home Depot Reviews in Tempe, AZ | Glassdoor

2.3
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 210 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 776 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 488 reviews)

• "I can not have a full time shift yet" (in 883 reviews)

1. "The Home Depot Online Contact Center Tempe Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing, all of the supervisors and managers only wanted what was best for their teams. There was a genuine sense of care and pride in working for the company.

Cons

As with all big companies there are happenstances where sometimes information is not passed down in a timely manner to be effective for associates.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work,

2. "Not what they make it seem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting wages for the .com side of business.

Cons

They say they provide culture but it's not quite there anymore. It used to be a fun environment but it's now become a redundant daily place of employment.

Advice to Management

Focus on your philosophy of the inverted triangle because as a front line associate, I feel like profits (which are already high) are becoming the weight that shifts that balance. Keep to what the founders wanted.

"Online Contact Center"

Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits package looked OK. I only enrolled in dental and eye care, was not interested in the medical coverage as I already have coverage elsewhere.

Cons

I left the call center my first week on the floor (after 4 weeks of training) because of my supervisor. I realized my second day on the floor this was not going to work out. Apparently I took one too many potty breaks inbetween scheduled breaks, and this was a no-no. My supervisor tried telling me that they understand that sometimes people can't hold it that long but to try to minimize getting up between those scheduled breaks. This is illegal, btw. You can't stop anyone from using the bathroom. Also, adherence. Don't tell me to adhere to my schedule, ding me because I was stuck on a call that caused me to go on break late, and then be hypocritical and not adhere to your own schedule. On my second full day, before I decided that I was just going to quit, I kept looking at my adherence and customer survey scores. Yeah, no thanks. I also disliked the fact if you were in "after call work" for more than a minute your name was blasted on a list that is shown on all screens throughout the center. A place, I was told, you didn't want to end up.

4. "Run don’t walk from the Tempe location."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very few supervisors are willing to do what it takes to help you and the customers and try to make it easier. Not many pros at all to speak of.

Cons

Most supervisors/managers are awful and unwilling to help. The systems are terrible and you can expect most calls to be customers yelling at you. If you are going to work here expect awful hours, terrible supervisors/managers and expect everything to be your fault. Turn over is HUGE!!

Advice to Management

Get supervisors/managers that really care and make it where reps are responsible for what they do and not for what HD does, vendors and carriers do or if customers are coming back to HD to shop. Also find a fairer way of sharing the responsibilities of the weekend shifts and don’t keep the same people working every weekend. Make the new people being hired on have weekend hours and get the others off the weekend shifts to unless they really want to work them. This would bring better morale.

5. "Met team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

good shift
    3 days off
    good amount of breaks

Cons

terrible pay
    mileage compensation is very slow and terrible

"No Core Values"

Former Employee - Contact Center Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Contact Center Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the work that is being done, Home Depot paid extremely well.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. Poorly thought out scorecards and KPI's. Constant system issues. Did not take action based on customer or associate feedback. Worst of all, they pretend to live by their core values, but they do not and they will find an excuse to fire if they decide they don't like you.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and pretending that everything is fantastic and amazing. Spend less time organizing site fun events and fake recognition programs and actually listen to the operations supervisors, you will learn a lot about how to improve your organization.

The Home Depot Response

Jan 17, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

7. "customer service rep"

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

seems like it could be a friendly place to work if you make it out of training.

Cons

the training staff blows threw the lessons way to quick. They give you an attitude when you ask a question.

Advice to Management

extend the training time to 6 weeks. A couple weeks of training isnt long enough. Several co-workers including myself quit because we didn't understand how to do our jobs

"Cashier"

Current Employee - Cashier in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits even for part time

Cons

Pressure to get credit cards

Advice to Management

More full time positions could cut down the turnover

"NA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Pay, peer group are good folks.

Cons

All they concern themselves is about how they make money. Sr. Mgt talks about how they care about people, but they are so conceited and self absorbed it's freightening. It's a joke. They are not there to support the people just themselves. There are so many leadership folks ready to leave because of this. Shame of it, they just don't see it because they are so self absorbed. HR is a joke as well. They worry how they look toward corporate and not towards the people.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. See what the site is doing and find out how they feel without giving them repercussions for their honesty.

"Good co-workers, bad management"

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Everyone is helpful
    Fun things to do at the story and learn
    Some really cool customers who get to know you on a personal level

Cons

Management just sees you as a number
    Expected to pick up the slack if other departments are missing people
    Almost required to be cross-trained in areas you aren't assigned without a pay raise

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like actual employees, don't act like everyone is replaceable right away. If anything you are rushing out the actual good employees who care and are somehow keeping the employees that slide by.

The Home Depot Response