The Home Depot Reviews in Tempe, AZ | Glassdoor

The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "zero work/life balance as a salaried manager" (in 524 reviews)

• "It is very hard to get full time" (in 919 reviews)

1. "The Home Depot Online Contact Center Tempe Review"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing, all of the supervisors and managers only wanted what was best for their teams. There was a genuine sense of care and pride in working for the company.

Cons

As with all big companies there are happenstances where sometimes information is not passed down in a timely manner to be effective for associates.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work,

2. "Great!"

Former Employee - Resolution Expeditor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Resolution Expeditor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career development. Fun environment. Bonus twice a year.

Cons

Expected to know the ins and outs of all lines of business without proper training.

3. "It's about who know not what you know"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workers taking calls are usually the best bunch of people to work with.

Cons

Advancement only happens when you know someone not how much skill or experience you have. Lots of friends hiring friends, if they do not like you consider your opportunity a waste of time.

Advice to Management

Hire real professionals with experience in the industry of Call Centers, not kids out of high school or people from fast food restaurants, this is a business and customers hate the way this company treats them, I should know, for over 3 years I heard them, that is why a lot of good talent left to down the street hiring at $18.00 hourly and bilinguals make $2.00 per hour more. They know about hiring real pros.

"The pay is good... Don't trust ANYONE!"

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

The pay is good and it's honestly why people stay.

Cons

This review is regarding the conditions at the Tempe, AZ Contact Center ONLY. HR & Senior Management is corrupt. There is targeting, discrimination, unfair hiring practices, and retaliation. There is nowhere to report this information as the Associate Awareness Line sends complaints directly to the local HR office. Pest control is a major issue as there are bed bug infestations almost monthly. It would be appreciated if leadership notified associates of these infestations so that they may take precautions. If they find out who I am I will surely be fired.

Advice to Management

Live your values. I know nothing will be done to correct any of these issues but your attrition will continue to increase. Why are all of your tenured associates leaving? Why are you unable to keep supervisors in the building? Why do you have a revolving door of individuals taking LOA's? The center looks good on LinkedIn though, and that's all that matters. Your associates are not happy. Grow them(and treat them fairly) or watch them go.

5. "Not what they make it seem"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starting wages for the .com side of business.

Cons

They say they provide culture but it's not quite there anymore. It used to be a fun environment but it's now become a redundant daily place of employment.

Advice to Management

Focus on your philosophy of the inverted triangle because as a front line associate, I feel like profits (which are already high) are becoming the weight that shifts that balance. Keep to what the founders wanted.

"Online Contact Center"

Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits package looked OK. I only enrolled in dental and eye care, was not interested in the medical coverage as I already have coverage elsewhere.

Cons

I left the call center my first week on the floor (after 4 weeks of training) because of my supervisor. I realized my second day on the floor this was not going to work out. Apparently I took one too many potty breaks inbetween scheduled breaks, and this was a no-no. My supervisor tried telling me that they understand that sometimes people can't hold it that long but to try to minimize getting up between those scheduled breaks. This is illegal, btw. You can't stop anyone from using the bathroom. Also, adherence. Don't tell me to adhere to my schedule, ding me because I was stuck on a call that caused me to go on break late, and then be hypocritical and not adhere to your own schedule. On my second full day, before I decided that I was just going to quit, I kept looking at my adherence and customer survey scores. Yeah, no thanks. I also disliked the fact if you were in "after call work" for more than a minute your name was blasted on a list that is shown on all screens throughout the center. A place, I was told, you didn't want to end up.

7. "Run don’t walk from the Tempe location."

Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very few supervisors are willing to do what it takes to help you and the customers and try to make it easier. Not many pros at all to speak of.

Cons

Most supervisors/managers are awful and unwilling to help. The systems are terrible and you can expect most calls to be customers yelling at you. If you are going to work here expect awful hours, terrible supervisors/managers and expect everything to be your fault. Turn over is HUGE!!

Advice to Management

Get supervisors/managers that really care and make it where reps are responsible for what they do and not for what HD does, vendors and carriers do or if customers are coming back to HD to shop. Also find a fairer way of sharing the responsibilities of the weekend shifts and don’t keep the same people working every weekend. Make the new people being hired on have weekend hours and get the others off the weekend shifts to unless they really want to work them. This would bring better morale.

8. "Met team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot (Less than a year)

Pros

good shift
    3 days off
    good amount of breaks

Cons

terrible pay
    mileage compensation is very slow and terrible

"No Core Values"

Former Employee - Contact Center Supervisor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Contact Center Supervisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the work that is being done, Home Depot paid extremely well.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. Poorly thought out scorecards and KPI's. Constant system issues. Did not take action based on customer or associate feedback. Worst of all, they pretend to live by their core values, but they do not and they will find an excuse to fire if they decide they don't like you.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and pretending that everything is fantastic and amazing. Spend less time organizing site fun events and fake recognition programs and actually listen to the operations supervisors, you will learn a lot about how to improve your organization.

The Home Depot Response

Jan 17, 2018 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and... More

"customer service rep"

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

seems like it could be a friendly place to work if you make it out of training.

Cons

the training staff blows threw the lessons way to quick. They give you an attitude when you ask a question.

Advice to Management

extend the training time to 6 weeks. A couple weeks of training isnt long enough. Several co-workers including myself quit because we didn't understand how to do our jobs

Showing 25 of 19,542 reviews