The Home Depot Reviews in Topeka, KS | Glassdoor

2.4
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great also learn a lot (in 201 reviews)

• Part time employees schedules will be worked with (in 736 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance is usually unbalanced (in 469 reviews)

• Hard to get into a full time job (in 853 reviews)

1. "D24 Supervisor"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Topeka, KS

Pros

Amazing opportunities for growth.
    Never ending experience and knowledge to be gained from not only peers and management, but customers as well.
    Great benefits
    My store had fantastic salaried leadership, and our district team was amazing as well.
    Home Depot was an experience i would not trade for the world.

Cons

- Faulty logic.

-- Never enough hours to take care of customers and keep the store worthy of customers. We equated it to putting a gallon in a quart jar, every day. We were never able to hire the people we needed to give an amazing experience and run the store to its potential. We weren't hiring early enough in the season due to lack of available hours or an asinine directive from above.

-- HD would never allow us to pay the right people enough to retain them past when they found better compensation elsewhere.

-- In store services like MET were able to cherry pick our best associates to support an entity that DOES NOT DIRECTLY DEAL WITH THE CORE BUSINESS... HELPING CUSTOMERS!!!

-- In Home Depots quest to become walmart with top notch execution and minimal variation in customer experience they have lost site and began to step on their own toes.

I could go on and on, its a real shame.

Advice to Management

Quit focusing on short term gains. You have diminished the potential durability of your revenue base by losing site of important objectives and allowing small win to amalgamate into hubris that bolsters your faulty--circular logic. Prepare your stores (the people, which matter more than anything) to be ready to beat the pants off the competition when our economy gains momentum. As it stands i would much rather be the blue box with a solid logistics operation and focus on square footage growth-- than be in the opposite situation -- you know, if its all the same.

2. "The ship is slowly sinking, and it's also on fire"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite the issues on a local level at the distribution center, THD company culture and values are top notch. If you're easily assimilated into the "Good Ol' Boys" club, you will do well here.

Cons

4 years ago, this was a fantastic place to work. As soon as senior management changed that year, it began its slow decent. Most of the initial turmoil was contained at the management level. Intimidation and harassment paired with a "Good Ol' Boys" club is a recipe for disaster for anyone that wasn't in said club and this impacted both women and men in management. In 2015 and 2016 management turnover doubled to what it has been in prior years. It didn't matter if you were a horrible leader, if you got the numbers, you were promoted. When it became apparent that the dissatisfaction began to permeate at the hourly employee level, upper management put together a presentation for the hourly employees to illustrate why it was so great to work at that facility. If someone has to tell you why it's so great because you're not feeling it, then it's not a great place to work. Talk has less weight than action. There is no professionalism at the middle and senior management level and they don't seem to care that they are stepping over the line when it comes to employment law infractions. There is a constant corporate presence in the building for a reason, and it's not just an issue of operational performance, it's lack of true leadership skills and integrity that they are digging into.
    Work Life Balance - there is none for salaried employees. 10 days off a year until you've been with the company for 5 years, then it goes up to 15 days. Considering you're expected to work holidays that they are open (you're only off on Thanksgiving day and Christmas day), and 10 hour days are the norm during non-peak season, it's a slap in the face when senior management expects you to work 3 four-hour Saturday shifts to earn 1 extra day off (8 hour day, mind you).

Advice to Management

I'm not convinced senior management can correct its course on what is appropriate to say to employees when behind closed doors. Despite feedback and training, nothing had changed during my time with the company. This facility went from being the best in the company to the worst performing building in the network and it didn't happen overnight. A well oiled machine will run smoothly until you quit maintaining it. From what I'm told, corporate continues to be involved in the DC's business because of the overall decline. I would have given Culture and Values a 5 star rating, but at a local level they aren't living the values, which is sad.

3. "HR Generalist"

Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Human Resources Advisor in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture, value-driven, pay, benefits, leadership

Cons

lack of growth opportunities, lack of work/life balance

Advice to Management

Slow down to reflect

Dec 27, 2017 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

4. "Great Company, bad hours"

Current Employee - ICQA Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - ICQA Supervisor in Topeka, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment and strongly cultured. Lot's of opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Rough hours, not a fan of working in the evenings. Work nearly 45-50 hours plus a week. Rarely get to see my family.

Advice to Management

Create a third schedule for weekends so hours are at 40 hours a week and not so late in the morning.

5. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Flooring Sales Specialist in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Set work hours. Excellent training. Great people. Our store was very active in employee perks: free shirts, free food, Homer Fund that employees contributed to if they wanted and could get grants from if they had a traumatic event such as an illness, fire, accident.

Cons

Very physical work in some departments.

Advice to Management

Make sure longer employed associates are updated when new policies go into effect.

6. "Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Set work hours. Excellent training. Great people. Our store was very active in employee perks...free shirts, free food, Homer Fund that employees contributed to if they wanted and could get grants from if they had a traumatic event such as an illness, fire, or accident.

Cons

Very physical work in some departments.

Advice to Management

"Rapid Deployment Center Woes"

Former Employee - Rapid Deployment Center Area Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Rapid Deployment Center Area Supervisor in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We have truly developed a culture of trust, caring, and building strong relationships. Fair benefits and salary. The company is doing well with great leadership with no concern for downsizing.

Cons

Much has been rolled out on development and promoting individuals from within the organization, but little effort is invested in true individual development. The norm at our facility is to hire from outside the organization below the individuals skill level and if they show they are under employed then they are promoted at about a year. If you are ambitious and hit your second year without a promotion, then get out! After a few mistakes in my first year I realize I my opportunities are past and I need to leave.

Additionally, the company is doing very well and forecasts continue to be low. Which in turn means that supervisors and managers working 70 hour weeks are more common than uncommon.

Furthermore, a misstep has been growing where operations managers are delegating all management tasks down to the supervisors, in the name of "I'm showing leadership". This overtasks supervisors and creates a high stress environment where mistakes are more common. Very few operations managers work hard at all parts of their job. Perception is that they show up three times a shift to critic any flaw in the workings of the business then they are off to socialize and conspire in the back office again. Bullying of area supervisors is common.

Spreadsheets, spreadsheets, spreadsheets! A better or new spreadsheet every few weeks. Some are suppose to replace others, but none die. Filling out these spreadsheets takes away from time to engage with associates or extend ones daily hours, but they are expected and required.

Second shift is a curse. If you are placed on second shift chances are that you will be their for years. Your ability to move is at the pleasure of management and they would rather keep a few people on second shift unhappy than make more unhappy. This is a great shift if you have no need to every interact with anyone outside of work during daylight hours.

Bonuses are well below the industry for low level management.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your operations managers are putting in the work you pay them for and that the supervisors are not so overtasked so that they can engage the associates. Add a shift or swing management so the hours can be reduced as they have lives as well. At a minimum provide a significant pay differential to managers and supervisors on second shift. Managers should attend meetings with prepared information to distribute and fill out all the extra spreadsheet tracking data with the time they spend in the office. Operations manager should look for ways to remove task from their supervisors. Production planners should plan the work for the shifts so the area supervisors do not need to spend extra hours making and presenting a plan that gets changed. Bullying should not be tolerated. Operation managers should not be leaving before the supervisors.

8. "Overall great experience"

Current Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Topeka, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and incentives. Overall a great company to work for. Pay is reasonable.

Cons

Non climate controlled environment working in the warehouse.

Jul 30, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you are having a positive experience in your time at The Home Depot.

"I enjoyed, and learned a lot of myself, and my abilities working for Home Depot RDC. I enjoyed the people, and support."

Former Employee - DC Systems Coordinator in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - DC Systems Coordinator in Topeka, KS

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Values the community

Cons

Inexperienced Management, Lack of IT knowledge, processes, restrictions. Forced to work off the clock.

Advice to Management

Become familiar with IT knowledge and Labor Laws.

10. "I have enjoyed working and growing here, but current leadership changes have severely impacted productivity."

Current Employee - General Warehouse Associate in Topeka, KS

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime is almost always an option, pay is decently competitive, if you have a good attitude they will reward it.

Cons

good luck switching departments, shifts, pay grades, etc. little promotion from within in the same location.

Advice to Management

choose your OM's and AGM's more carefully. current leaders in RDC #5024 lead by word only, not deed

May 8, 2015 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to not only customer service, but to our associates. Because taking... More

Showing 11 of 16,966 reviews