The Home Depot Reviews in Willow Grove, PA | Glassdoor

4.7
The Home Depot President & CEO Craig Menear
Craig Menear

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Learn a lot about finishing material" (in 209 reviews)

• "Benefits for part-time employees" (in 772 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be hard to find" (in 484 reviews)

• "Hard to get into a full time job" (in 879 reviews)

1. "I've been an overnight freight associate. I've been there 7 years and have obtained multiple awards for my performance a"

Current Employee - Overnight Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Overnight Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very successful company. When I moved from Los Angeles to Pennsylvania, one of the first companies I applied to was Home Depot. Very nice management and a company that continues to grow.

Cons

Low pay increases. Low pay raises. Low entry level salaries. I've had to work two jobs just to maintain a basic life.

Advice to Management

You need to establish better working and personal relationships with the employees who work overnight.

2. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.
    A good feeling of helping people.
    Great benefits
    Stock purchasing discount plan.
    Great place to work if you are part time.

Cons

Customers...yes a select few will ruin your day.
    Horrible horrible work schedules that will leave little time for family and friends. There is no rhyme or reason to it either. Open one day closing the next or worse yet the dreaded clopen where you close then open the next day.
    Pay...new employees are hired with Walmart wages. This used to be a company that has hired at higher wages up until a few years ago yet the share holders are making money hand over fist.

Advice to Management

The home depot corporation needs to address the problem with with scheduling. Have your fulltime people work steady hours. Hire part timers to fill out shifts. It's simple and other retailers have been doing it successfully for decades.

3. "It started off well..."

Former Employee - Cashier in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits for part-time and full-time associates
    Friendly customers
    It's a big store so there isn't a lot of downtime and there is plenty to do

Cons

Little to no weekends off
    No clear direction from Supervisors/Head Cashiers
    Under appreciated and no recognition
    No leniency in regards to changing schedule
    No work/school/personal life balance
    Horrible pay
    Head cashiers do not stay on top of break/lunch schedules (ex. having to wait an hour or two after you are scheduled for lunch/break while other associates are free to take their lunch and break as they please)
    Understaffed at times; mostly during closing shift.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to listen to your employees and to appreciate them a lot more for their hard work. Managers frequently walk around the store but rarely do you get to know them or speak with them on a personal level unless you come to them directly or if they are giving you some sort of warning, rewarding you for performance, or terminating your employment. As a cashier, I definitely think that Head Cashiers need to be trained on leading cashiers and having better communication with cashiers.

4. "It's a job"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good business development potential if you apply yourself, good health insurance for full time associates, opportunity to network and gain meaningful customer relationships.

Cons

Inconsistent hours, skeleton staffing, heavy work load, difficult to move up as spots are hard to come by, customers can be difficult (borderline irrational).

Advice to Management

Don't over work the good people and under work the slackers!

"They're a lawsuit waiting to happen"

Former Employee - Pro Loader in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Pro Loader in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly saw no pros aside from 9 dollars an hour. This company was full of crap all the time.

Cons

I hurt my back being a pro loader- had a doctor's note and it said I couldn't lift for 2 weeks. They kept making me lift things. I told them it was against my doctor and the law and they told me "too bad." I went to HR and they did nothing. I felt like I was being taken advantage of. This company doesn't give a crap about their employees and I was not risking being disabled my whole life because they needed thing lifted. And they needed to hire more people for my job but refused because they didn't want to pay someone else. So I was forced to do 3 jobs in one which wasn't even in my description. And we aren't allowed to take tips. the managers will let us accept them from customers and then take them for themselves. Customers even has gotten mad that their tips are going to the managers who do nothing all day.

Advice to Management

When you guys get a lawsuit I'm going to laugh.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 29, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We wish you had been happier with your employment at The Home Depot. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our... More

6. "Good first job"

Former Employee - Computer Room Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Room Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fairly easy to learn and not challenging

Cons

Low pay, set hours can't build a career.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 11, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We wish you had been happier in your employment with The Home Depot.

"Expediter"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Willow Grove, PA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They pay you every two weeks. Decent health insurance benefits, stock and 401K programs. Working level associates are usually very nice people and quite easy to work with.

Cons

Managers are rude, ignorant, stupid and treat employees like Crap. Things tend to be done rather inefficiently. Too many items are out of stock. Not enough employees are scheduled to work at a particular time to service customers adequately. Bonuses are very stingy. Way too much favoritism. Managers often stand in your way of success.

Advice to Management

Get some morals and character. Put concern on the emotional well being of your employees.

Showing 7 of 17,809 reviews