The Home Depot Director Reviews | Glassdoor

Craig Menear

"Cut throat environment"

Current Employee - Director IT in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Generally offer great pay and total compensation package There is plenty of interesting work as the company continues to evolve There are a lot of good people here They are in the process of changing their approach to how things get done. Starbucks on site in the SSC

Cons

The health benefits package sucks It is a very cutthroat and competitive environment Some management does not live by the company's core values. The company survives on PowerPoint

Advice to Management

Make sure that all levels of management in the SSC adhere to the core values. The IT department has some serious issues in the VP ranks as do some other areas. Many VP level people are hostile in their interactions with others

The Home Depot2017-02-16
  2. "Great company, great culture"

Current Employee - Director of Learning in Smyrna, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's a real concentration on taking care of people embedded into the culture of Home Depot.

Cons

Like many large companies, groups can get silo'ed and sometimes it's hard to get things done.

Advice to Management

For headquarters: be more open to newer ways of working (remote employees, flex time, workshare).

The Home Depot2016-03-19
  3. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Regional Director Merchandising Execution in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Terrific Company to work for. Benefits are better than any other Company. If you work hard advancement is easily obtained.

Cons

Promotions are very politically driven, all about who you know. If you are politically savvy you will be extremely successful, if you are not you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding associates for their performance based on metrics and leadership. Never change the bonus or success sharing structure, it allows you to stand apart from other Company's.

The Home Depot2015-11-17

"IT Director"

Former Employee - IT Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good salary Great Brand Cutting edge technology, large scale, excellent business direction. CIO strong technology and strong retail. Excellent talent level - I worked with some of the best in the industry. CEO when I left was Frank Blake, CIO was Matt Carey

Cons

Impossible work life balance; you're paid well and they get every penny out of you. Think "Corporate Forced Selection". Work them till they drop, we can always hire more. VP's stay out of touch so they have time to fawn over CIO. CIO has one style of leadership, fear and intimidation.

Advice to Management

You will have to change culture or leave Atlanta, everyone in North GA knows THD is a sweat shop.

The Home Depot2015-10-18

"Corporate Office (SSC)"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great culture. Lots of smart motivated people. Challenging, meaningful work. Onsite gym and daycare. Significant stock compensation through grants and ESPP.

Cons

Little flexibility for work from home, or part time opportunities. Intense with lots of customer focus, so some positions are very reactive and hours intensive. Male dominated in many departments, although improving. Conservative vacation policy.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the great culture, customer focus and doing the right thing! We have great leadership. Consider a more progressive vacation policy and improve flexibility in hours/ work from home.

The Home Depot2015-05-14

June 9, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Keep up the great work!

"Worry over office politics limited ability to support business"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay Good benefits People you work with

Cons

Long hours No work life balance

Advice to Management

Focus on the voice of the customer

The Home Depot2015-01-07

January 9, 2015Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer service.

"Work at corporate office - Not store based review"

Former Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

High pay, if you can make it long enough to qualify for bonus and equity awards Ability to gain global experience in the right areas of business

Cons

Dominated by internal politics of who you know versus what you are qualified to do - Beware if you are female has your career growth will be limited unless you can find sponsorship and good luck with finding that needle in a hay stack Technology used in day to day work is very archaic although there are efforts to improve this, don't go here looking for latest technology Areas of the business require 6+ days per... week - So bad work/life balance

Advice to Management

96% of decisions around homes are made by females - Start embracing them in your upper/senior management and stop the good old boys network decisions, you'll find companies that do have higher performance statistics

The Home Depot2014-07-05

July 9, 2014Client Partner

"Corporate IT Sr. Management Style"

Former Employee - Director IT in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays well, good stock and incentive plans for Corporate Support Center (headquarters) employees

Cons

Management style is authoritarian and cares little about employees, hostile management styles are rewarded, long hours with little appreciation.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the little guy that is working hard to make you successful. Develop collaborative interdepartmental relationships. Bring enough the IT workforce back home from overseas to regain control of your projects.

The Home Depot2014-04-16

April 25, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. IT associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s IT network. We appreciate your feedback.

9. "Good company if you are willing to shift work-life balance to work side and appreciates what field goes thro."

Former Employee - Director Operations in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

HD is a very customer focused company that is led by a strong management team.

Cons

Frank Blake is after all from GE and thus 10% of the corporate workforce will turn every 12 -18 months. This is not the place for the faint of heart. However professionals who can support the field and make sure their support is noticed will thrive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

The Home Depot2012-12-16
  10. "It is a great company in the midst of a tremendous turnaround, but can be a very difficult place to grow a career."

Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

-Business is well positioned in the HI industry -THD has outstanding senior management team -The company is finally making the necessary investments in the business (e.g., supply chain, IT) to position it well for the future -Strong culture of customer service

Cons

-The culture is one of "churn and burn" with very poor work-life balance and high level of turnover -Limited career advancement opportunities given the maturity of the business -Very limited training and investment in career development

Advice to Management

The company is finally focusing on a simple strategy and making the necessary investments in the business (e.g., Supply Chain, IT) to it well for the future. The relentless push has had a large negative impact on the culture and employees, taking a huge toll on its goal of being an employer of choice. Voluntary turnover will begin to increase greatly as the job market recovers.

The Home Depot2011-02-01