The Honest Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Honest Company CEO Nick Vlahos
Nick Vlahos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay, a bit unorganized as far as the management goes (in 11 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, though the interview process promises otherwise (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to learn, grow and make an impact"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

1. The Mission - Everyone who works at Honest, starting with Jessica and Christopher, truly believe in our mission to help families live healthy, happy lives. It is refreshing and powerful and motivates me every day.

2. The People - I have never worked with so many highly intelligent, professional, yet humble people. The new senior leadership team comes with a wealth of experience and best practices. As you will read in other reviews, this has been an uncomfortable change for employees who have been with the company for some time and may have never worked in a more structured, professional environment. However, the new management team and the processes they bring are what is needed to take the company from its start-up phase to a strong, long-term player in our industry. If you want to truly learn from seasoned, smart and successful people, this is the place to be. If you are a self-started who is willing to work hard, this is the place to take your skills to the next level.

3. Involvement - Employees have many opportunities to get involved. From participating in an intimate Q&A with Maria Shriver, to volunteering for projects in our community, to becoming a mentor to women trying to get back on their feet, the company offers many ways for you to learn, to help and to get involved.

4. Diversity and tolerance - Come as you are, be who you are and work for a company that supports and celebrates our differences.

Cons

Lots of change, which can be hard for some people. In order for the company to move to the next level, systems, processes and operations need to change. That has understandably been uncomfortable for some longer-term employees. Things are bound to be a bit bumpy as the company moves from a start-up, high growth strategy to one of profitable, sustainable growth. For those who thrive in a changing environment, it is a great place to be. You will have a direct impact on helping drive those changes that will make the company successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "I love Honest!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Such a positive work environment

Cons

Can't think of any!

"Falling apart"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Generous insurance and 401(k) benefits
    Unlimited PTO
    Beautiful office with lots of work space

Cons

Honest is undergoing a major morale crisis that only seems to get worse by the day. Employee turnover is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. People are hired and stick around for a few months before abandoning ship; seasoned leaders are leaving left and right, and because there isn’t any kind of internal infrastructure to speak of, there are considerable knowledge gaps in every department that not only hurt the performance of current employees but are so widespread and deeply ingrained that it’s actually costing the company money. Mid- and upper-level leadership is a total nightmare. More than a few duplicitous people are calling the shots, and they’re quick to point the finger and blame others for their poor choices/leadership. Others are simply unqualified for their roles and have been thrust into positions they aren’t equipped to handle. People quit so often that the company can’t keep up, so rather than backfill the roles, they just reshuffle the decks. Management made massive layoffs in the creative and digital departments, leaving both organizations drastically understaffed and stuck with tools/resources that are deeply flawed, to say the VERY least. (If you ever meet someone who works at Honest, don’t ask them about their backend, unless you’re trying to ruin their weekend...) No real plans to fix those issues or any of the issues currently eating this previously promising company from the inside, despite constant reassurance from management. They talk a lot, but there’s no action.

Advice to Management

It’s all been said.

"Operations - Do Not Recommend, Other Reviews are very accurate"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Unlimited" PTO - though you'll have to work through any time off
    Free Snacks
    Kombucha on tap
    Low cost high quality medical benefits
    4% 401k Match
    Gorgeous office
    Coworkers (non-upper management) are great, talented, passionate people

Cons

Turnover has been extremely high especially since new CEO came on board. So many people have left, from VPs, Directors, old-timers, all the people that made the company so great are slowly leaving. Morale is extremely low, it's really hard to go in to work when we are short-staffed and the level of expectation is still the same. We are expected to deliver on impossible timelines without clear guidance or direction. There is a lack of processes, most teams do not know who is accountable for what/there is so much double work or the right people get involved too late in the game, leaving them to scramble at the last minute when everyone is already swamped. New projects come out of nowhere when we are already working on so many things - and improperly due to lack of time/bandwidth. I really do not recommend this company to anyone, and feel guilty and awful when talented new people join and they are not made aware of the situation until afterwards.

Advice to Management

Please address the high turnover, address the need to roll things back/slow down because employees are burnt out and crashing. More people will continue to leave if things stay the same. The company events are great... but it also feels like we're being asked to feel joy when we're miserable/it completely side-steps the reality of the current situation.

"Terrible work environment"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office and unlimited vacation

Cons

The culture and environment here is absolutely terrible. The failing business state is causing terrible behaviors and decisions with no real strategy in place. There is no trust amongst anyone in the building. The leadership team does not seem to understand what it really takes to run a business, and many of them lack the humility or people skills to recognize the terrible culture that exists or how to develop a team to change that.
    It really is sad as it is a brand that should be very successful, but is not being treated well.

"Lacking in more ways than one."

Former Employee - NA- in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - NA- in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty office, free snacks, fit bucks, Jessica is pretty, Founder Dude seems genuine.

Cons

This company is lacking. They will celebrate every/any holiday- they make a month long celebration of Christmas, full mariachi band for Cinco De Mayo, Valentines day, any random "national [fill in the blank] day, and so much more yet barely even acknowledged black history month. Sending an email to "recognize" black history month on the LAST DAY of the month is a sad attempt to be inclusive. African Americans do not deserve to be an after thought. You were better off not sending anything. Do better, Honest.

There are no words on the lack of payment compensation and technical issues with their website/back end site as a whole.

Very gossipy environment - CEO blatantly blamed people for leaving by the herd on not being able to hang at corporate All Hands meeting.

Advice to Management

More diversity, better pay, and listen to people who are writing honest reviews and talk to you about how to do/be better.

Co-Founders - please read these and try to find ways to do better. You all have such great potential to excel within the company that will help exceed sales expectations.

Less name dropping

Good luck!

"Director"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty office. Healthy snacks and kombucha on tap. Loved working with founder Christopher Gavigan, he is heart and soul of Honest.

Cons

Worked at The Honest Company for years. Such a toxic environment, complete revolving door, no strategic direction whatsoever, the new Clorox CEO is such a horrible leader. Don't waste your time working there. Horrible culture and horrible product. Went through numerous product recalls.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty and provide a clear career path.

"Great employer to work for!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Low cost health, dental, & vision insurance. Free lunch daily.

Cons

Company relocated to Las Vegas, NV.

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A smart, ambitious and fun team. Honest is filled with talented people that are driven and focused on moving the business forward. It is extremely refreshing that work is a place of passion rather than a place where people are simply collecting a paycheck.

Cons

Putting the cart before the horse. We move very quickly on new initiatives - sometimes too fast. Most major projects/initiatives have very stressful executions due to not allowing enough time (or not involving the right people along the way) for project completion.

Advice to Management

Figure out what to attack as a group, execute that attack as a group.

The Honest Company Response

Dec 5, 2017

Thanks for your note! We agree that it's the passion for our brand that brings us all together each and every day. Our People strategy is one that supports collaborative and cross-functional team... More

"It has become Clorox 2"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

-Have worked with some of the best people ( below VP level)
    -Unlimited PTO (although rumor was flying around that they are discouraging people from taking so much time off from the new leadership)

Cons

It was such an amazing company to work for before the new management team took over. The new CEO has brought in all of his old buddies and has turned it into Clorox 2. They pushed out the existing VPs and C-levels that were doing their job well in order to bring in their friends from Clorox. There is so much politics that if you aren't friends with the upper level, you can be let go at any moment. They say they care about their employees but it's sadly not true anymore. There is a reason why people who helped make this company what it is today are jumping ship left and right. If you visit the office, it’s empty for a reason. Do not work here unless you are prepared to play some serious office politics.