The Honest Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Honest Company CEO Nick Vlahos
Nick Vlahos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "low pay, a bit unorganized as far as the management goes" (in 12 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth, though the interview process promises otherwise" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to learn, grow and make an impact"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

1. The Mission - Everyone who works at Honest, starting with Jessica and Christopher, truly believe in our mission to help families live healthy, happy lives. It is refreshing and powerful and motivates me every day.

2. The People - I have never worked with so many highly intelligent, professional, yet humble people. The new senior leadership team comes with a wealth of experience and best practices. As you will read in other reviews, this has been an uncomfortable change for employees who have been with the company for some time and may have never worked in a more structured, professional environment. However, the new management team and the processes they bring are what is needed to take the company from its start-up phase to a strong, long-term player in our industry. If you want to truly learn from seasoned, smart and successful people, this is the place to be. If you are a self-started who is willing to work hard, this is the place to take your skills to the next level.

3. Involvement - Employees have many opportunities to get involved. From participating in an intimate Q&A with Maria Shriver, to volunteering for projects in our community, to becoming a mentor to women trying to get back on their feet, the company offers many ways for you to learn, to help and to get involved.

4. Diversity and tolerance - Come as you are, be who you are and work for a company that supports and celebrates our differences.

Cons

Lots of change, which can be hard for some people. In order for the company to move to the next level, systems, processes and operations need to change. That has understandably been uncomfortable for some longer-term employees. Things are bound to be a bit bumpy as the company moves from a start-up, high growth strategy to one of profitable, sustainable growth. For those who thrive in a changing environment, it is a great place to be. You will have a direct impact on helping drive those changes that will make the company successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "Impactful work, smart people!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Ability to have a personal footprint on the company's processes and best practices as it evolves into a global CPG brand- it's exciting to be a part of the growth
    - Strong brand and mission that you can truly get behind- Honest makes efforts to ensure all employees are engaged with the mission
    - The leadership team all come from impressive backgrounds and are skilled in their craft- you have an opportunity to learn from the best
    - Beautiful office with a homey feel, 360 roof deck, great benefits and wellness perks, and team building events

Cons

It's been a year of change and change can be hard- everyone feels and reacts to it differently. But change is critical to get Honest to the next stage of business. There's a lot of hard work to get to, and you know the work and your role is making a difference for the broader business as it scales.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on bringing the company and individual teams together.

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, mission, and values really make it easy to come to work every day. It is inspiring to learn and grow from the people around you. There are amazing perks such as kombucha on tap, snacks, company-wide events, and volunteer events.

Cons

There is a lot of change which can be hard for employees.

Advice to Management

More communication and being more transparent with everyone

"Fantastic company w/wonderful people to grow a career & make a difference."

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

I love coming to work here everyday. Having worked the last 10 years in a variety of non-profits, big corporations, and tech start-ups -- THIS is the place I am most grateful to have landed -- it is the best of all worlds. Large enough to have resources to create and innovate, and small enough that each person can make an impact and really get to know each other and connect across teams.

-- My co-workers are all such wonderfully positive people -- I'm continually impressed by how talented, motivated and professional everyone is.
    -- The mission drives everything -- from our products and doing right by our customers, to opportunities employees get to volunteer and give back to the community, to how transparent leadership is about the future of the company and where we each play a role. It's really inspiring to be around such talented, driven people who want to do good in the world.
    -- There is a real focus on driving efforts to make sure Honest is a leader in diversity and inclusion. As a woman-led company, we are lucky to have wonderful resource group meetings onsite led by employees to engage in dialogues around supporting women and minorities in the workforce and how to ensure we continue to pave the way in this space.
    -- Honest is building total transparency around each individual's career trajectory, and it feels great to know I'm supported in my career growth and can have open conversations with management and HR about opportunities in my future here.
    -- Honest takes time to celebrate our teams and our work with occasional happy hours, lunches, and fun pop-up events onsite for everyone.
    -- Gorgeous office space (w/ rooftop deck!) and awesome benefits -- full health insurance, 401K, vacation time, wellness (free onsite gym/yoga/meditation), donation matching and product discounts!

Cons

In my 10 months here I've seen a lot of change as Honest evolves from a smaller tech start-up to a bigger omni-channel brand. To me, right now feels like a very exciting time at Honest. Change is understandably hard, but it makes sense as the company builds long-term sustainability. Management really makes an effort to be open and transparent about changes from the top down, and they share the incredible big picture plans on the horizon. Honest truly cares about its people and I've seen firsthand how they want to do right by employees and take care of them as the business shifts.

Honest is a place where you have to be confident enough to thrive in a shifting environment, be resourceful to dig in at all levels, and with that you'll have every opportunity to innovate and make an impact quickly -- and be supported every step of the way.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work -- you have our support.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

A lot of opportunity to learn. Really smart and talented employees. Fast paced.

Cons

No clear decision making from leadership, too much changing of strategy/direction without communicating to those grinding away trying to make things happen.

Advice to Management

Be better

"Company going down hill, cant survive on the pay."

Former Employee - Client Service Representative
    Former Employee - Client Service Representative

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Snacks, Discounts on products, very nice coworkers

Cons

short lunches, very low pay compared to other Customer service roles, stressful days with difficult members, lack of advancements, constant product recalls/ discontinued products. First if you are not motivated in working in Client Services and making commission dont work here. The pay is very low, that I am not sure how people survive in California. The is so much that has to be fixed internally in the company as well thus making it harder on Client Services reps. If a product is discontinued ( which happens very frequently) let remove it from the site rather than it being on their for half a year. If we a no longer offering a free bundle after cancelling a bundle, why is that option still offered online. There are so many tech issues with the app and website, that it is completely understandable when there are high wait times that Client Services get the brunt of. Industry standard the pay is really low for the amount of work done. I just challenge Honest to work harder on fixing these internal issues so the members can be helped quickly and the workers can feel valued.

"I love Honest!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Such a positive work environment

Cons

Can't think of any!

"Customer Service"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Great culture and people to work with

Cons

Terrible job and pay and benefits

Advice to Management

Be better

"Falling apart"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Generous insurance and 401(k) benefits
    Unlimited PTO
    Beautiful office with lots of work space

Cons

Honest is undergoing a major morale crisis that only seems to get worse by the day. Employee turnover is probably the worst I’ve ever seen. People are hired and stick around for a few months before abandoning ship; seasoned leaders are leaving left and right, and because there isn’t any kind of internal infrastructure to speak of, there are considerable knowledge gaps in every department that not only hurt the performance of current employees but are so widespread and deeply ingrained that it’s actually costing the company money. Mid- and upper-level leadership is a total nightmare. More than a few duplicitous people are calling the shots, and they’re quick to point the finger and blame others for their poor choices/leadership. Others are simply unqualified for their roles and have been thrust into positions they aren’t equipped to handle. People quit so often that the company can’t keep up, so rather than backfill the roles, they just reshuffle the decks. Management made massive layoffs in the creative and digital departments, leaving both organizations drastically understaffed and stuck with tools/resources that are deeply flawed, to say the VERY least. (If you ever meet someone who works at Honest, don’t ask them about their backend, unless you’re trying to ruin their weekend...) No real plans to fix those issues or any of the issues currently eating this previously promising company from the inside, despite constant reassurance from management. They talk a lot, but there’s no action.

Advice to Management

It’s all been said.

"Operations - Do Not Recommend, Other Reviews are very accurate"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"Unlimited" PTO - though you'll have to work through any time off
    Free Snacks
    Kombucha on tap
    Low cost high quality medical benefits
    4% 401k Match
    Gorgeous office
    Coworkers (non-upper management) are great, talented, passionate people

Cons

Turnover has been extremely high especially since new CEO came on board. So many people have left, from VPs, Directors, old-timers, all the people that made the company so great are slowly leaving. Morale is extremely low, it's really hard to go in to work when we are short-staffed and the level of expectation is still the same. We are expected to deliver on impossible timelines without clear guidance or direction. There is a lack of processes, most teams do not know who is accountable for what/there is so much double work or the right people get involved too late in the game, leaving them to scramble at the last minute when everyone is already swamped. New projects come out of nowhere when we are already working on so many things - and improperly due to lack of time/bandwidth. I really do not recommend this company to anyone, and feel guilty and awful when talented new people join and they are not made aware of the situation until afterwards.

Advice to Management

Please address the high turnover, address the need to roll things back/slow down because employees are burnt out and crashing. More people will continue to leave if things stay the same. The company events are great... but it also feels like we're being asked to feel joy when we're miserable/it completely side-steps the reality of the current situation.