The Honest Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Honest Company CEO Nick Vlahos
Nick Vlahos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay, a bit unorganized as far as the management goes (in 11 reviews)

• Not much room for growth, though the interview process promises otherwise (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company Mission, Great People!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

-The company is a 'feel-good' place to work. It's mission focuses on the human well-being. They incorporate giving back to world as part of every day life at work.
    -The company is focused on bringing in the industry's best leaders and contributors. Working with talented people that are goal oriented, innovative, respectful is everything. When you spend the majority of your time at work, this matters.
    -Although the expectation is high performance, the work environment is not stressful, and overly political
    -Young and eager company
    -Beautiful office and location

Cons

-Needs more focus on staff education and training both internal and external
    -Some critical roles are not appropriately positioned in the company for optimal executive visibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your are doing. It has been a great place to work. Maintain transparency and communication.

Nov 1, 2017

Thanks for your review! You're right about the passion and talent that exists at Honest as we excel as a company, and we're thankful for our team. Our leadership team comes with a wealth of knowledge... More

"Great employer to work for!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Low cost health, dental, & vision insurance. Free lunch daily.

Cons

Company relocated to Las Vegas, NV.

"Sunken ship execution continues- anyone considering working here should reconsider"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers
    Healthy snacks
    Nice benefits
    Top notch office: beautiful
    Many people who care deeply

Cons

New ceo in over his head
    Feels like Mgr trying to recreate a smaller, So Calif version of Clorox- it’s all they know
    Limited tools to grow the business
    Less than Honest communication and sharing
    Way too much focus on outside image vs KPI’s

Advice to Management

Go back to what was working in 2014-2016. Morale terrible. Reputation with retailers is dismal. Trust is a real issue and not getting better

Get to know your people. Listen. Many great ideas are begging discussed and shared but no one listening at executive level

Jan 22, 2018

We’re sorry to hear about your experience. We hope to hear from you in person, and encourage you to surface this feedback to your leader or HR business partner directly so it can be addressed.

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A smart, ambitious and fun team. Honest is filled with talented people that are driven and focused on moving the business forward. It is extremely refreshing that work is a place of passion rather than a place where people are simply collecting a paycheck.

Cons

Putting the cart before the horse. We move very quickly on new initiatives - sometimes too fast. Most major projects/initiatives have very stressful executions due to not allowing enough time (or not involving the right people along the way) for project completion.

Advice to Management

Figure out what to attack as a group, execute that attack as a group.

Dec 5, 2017

Thanks for your note! We agree that it's the passion for our brand that brings us all together each and every day. Our People strategy is one that supports collaborative and cross-functional team... More

"Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture is family friendly
    - Health benefits are great

Cons

- Not a lot of room for growth for my position

"It has become Clorox 2"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

-Have worked with some of the best people ( below VP level)
    -Unlimited PTO (although rumor was flying around that they are discouraging people from taking so much time off from the new leadership)

Cons

It was such an amazing company to work for before the new management team took over. The new CEO has brought in all of his old buddies and has turned it into Clorox 2. They pushed out the existing VPs and C-levels that were doing their job well in order to bring in their friends from Clorox. There is so much politics that if you aren't friends with the upper level, you can be let go at any moment. They say they care about their employees but it's sadly not true anymore. There is a reason why people who helped make this company what it is today are jumping ship left and right. If you visit the office, it’s empty for a reason. Do not work here unless you are prepared to play some serious office politics.

"From Contractor to Full Time Employee"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work atmosphere and ethics are so ideal for me. I get along with my co-workers really great and I enjoy being a part of a company where you can leave your stamp . Whether you helped improve the current work flow, documented the some job duties and implemented better processes. This company is all for improving work flow and processes to complete the goals and objectives of the company.

Cons

My only downside to working for this company is my morning commute.

Advice to Management

I feel personally the employees are so skilled in other areas outside of their current job duties and I feel more cross training and opening up training in other areas to employees will allow the promotion with-in to be higher.

Nov 21, 2017

Thanks for your review! We're so excited that you've made lasting friendships with your coworkers since joining our team! We're also glad to hear that we are holding true to our end of the bargain... More

"Not the best... at all"

Former Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Client Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good culture, great co-workers, free snacks, "hip" vibe

Cons

Low pay, they treat you like a robot, they monitor your every move

Advice to Management

Please listen to your employees when they are clearly very unhappy.

"Things are NOT getting better. Positive reviews are fake or newbies who don’t know the misery yet. Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Manager in Playa Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Snacks
    - Some people below management are great, passionate, hardworking
    - Nice office
    - flexible PTO (but if you take it, be prepared to still work through it)
    - fitness stipend

Cons

Don’t even know where to start! Honest used to be a place where you would feel like part of a family, and you knew the leadership cared about you. In turn, even if you worked yourself to death, you did it because you believed in the mission, the values, the management.

Now, the old Honest culture is almost gone. The new leadership doesn’t care about people. They might say they do and say they are putting together a people strategy. I have yet to see any real people strategy that actually resonates with employees. Ask anyone under the management level and they will tell you this.

Our leaders don’t take the time to get to know the people on their teams, or even know the extent at which they contribute on a day to day level (which is a lot). They also have tunnel vision when it comes to priorities and planning, and do not communicate downstream when key decisions are made, leaving people to scramble to get things done with impossible timelines. What’s more, they assume their experiences at other companies directly translate to Honest - but really, you can’t just assume that what worked for Burt’s Bees, bleach, cat litter, Method, etc, will work for us. We are not those companies or products. We are unique—or at least, we used to be.

Our leaders’ expectations remain the same despite lack of resources. There is a breaking point for everyone, and I’m afraid most of us have reached it. All the people who have been around longer than 8 months, those who would have bled for Honest, are getting out and rightly so.

True leaders not only have a strategy for battle, but are able to build an army of dedicated people willing to fight that battle with them.

I think those days are done at Honest.

Advice to Management

C-suite and VPs:
    If you really care about your people, talk to them. Ask them what you can do for THEM, not what they can do for YOU.

"Too Many Kinks to Work Out"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Gym Stipend
    - Beautiful Office
    - Hardworking, nice colleagues

Cons

- Long hours, late nights, weekends, early mornings - expect to be on call on your vacation if someone needs anything as small as a file from you
    - Constantly shifting priorities so that projects are often never completed
    - Project timelines constantly shifting up and down, you rush to complete a ton of work and find out the project had been postponed by weeks or months, then you find out they want it done by next week and back again
    - Unclear direction/goals
    - People constantly leaving, no system for storing their work, often further leaving projects on unfinished or to be reworked entirely
    - Minimal onboarding, lack of structure
    - Overall lack of knowledge sharing/storage
    - No clear method for upward mobility, you get promoted if you've been there over a couple of years without any rhyme or reason
    - Lot of Peter Principle occurring leaving loyalists to the company in positions they're not properly trained to perform
    - Rumors of layoffs swirl overhead for 6+ months, constant sense of dread and as a result rumors swirl, despite frequent requests to leadership for clarity albeit good or bad (turned out to be true, more than once)
    - Infighting between leadership, secret projects being hidden between different department managers in order to gain favoritism from C-level management, makes it very awkward for their direct reports
    - Claims to be a mission based company, but is really only concerned with the bottom line
    - Multiple stakeholders on projects with conflicting expectations, long-winded review process

Advice to Management

- Increase transparency, bad news is better than no news, so people can plan their lives accordingly
    - Appreciate your direct reports more and consider the effect the frequent project changes have on their personal time
    - Respect business hours and vacation time to reduce burn out

Oct 31, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We recognize that we are in times of change, but we couldn't be more excited about where we're headed! We've developed a strong strategy that includes... More