The Honest Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Nick Vlahos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • low pay, a bit unorganized as far as the management goes (in 9 reviews)

• No room for growth, pay, management (in 5 reviews)

"Customer Service Rep"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Beautiful office & motivated employees. Everyone is very smart and passionate about the mission.

Cons

Going through some growing pains that come with a fast paced start up environment.

Advice to Management

Align on the go-forward strategy, and start working on executing!

"Think twice before even applying"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made a ton of friends while working at Honest and that really made my transition to the west coast easier. The food and small perks are also great but can only go so far.

Cons

Lack of any type of process. People leaving in mass amounts of a daily. I still talk to people at Honest and it is NOT getting better. They bring on senior leaders who do absolutely no work and also no guidance. My bosses boss could not even OPEN A ZIP FILE OR ADD A ROW IN EXCEL. I was at Honest when the CMO, CFO, President and almost every C-Level manager "left". It's so sad because I had such high hopes this would be akin I could exceed in except I was working 12 hour days with no reward. It is a toxic environment. Even with all the constant recalls I try to support Honest products but even my trust with the company is getting low.

Advice to Management

Restructure. Figure out process. Hire real leaders.

Sep 19, 2017 – People Team

Thanks for your review. We understand times of change can be challenging, and we’re dedicated to continuously improving our organizational strategy that supports collaborative team work and employee... More

"Don't Buy the Hype"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Built on a great Mission and Ideal.

Cons

Awful pay. New leadership has destroyed the culture and will destroy the mission. They only know commodity business and driving Honest down to that level where it has no chance to compete with the big boys.

Advice to Management

They didn't listen when we were there, why would they listen now?

"employee"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

beautiful office and great team.

Cons

inefficient process for projects from start to finish.

"Proceed with caution if you're thinking of working here. Read all the reviews."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brand consumers love
    Office that looks like a movie set - beautiful
    Many passionate, caring employees - Director level and below
    Great deck
    Free Snacks
    Jessica is as pretty as you'd expect

Cons

Weak leadership. We were all hoping new CEO would bring in talent with street smarts & previous small company experience but seems he is doing the opposite. Instead, he's bringing in many VP's to direct & delegate but few people to do the actual work. Losing valuable employees daily. We lost count at the total as we were losing talented, hard working, smart employees every week. On my last day with Honest, there were over 6 of us leaving the same week.

Advice to Management

Fix your product quality - earn back your consumer's trust. Too many recalls & lawsuits in past few years for a brand that is still new & emerging

Listen to your employees. It is obvious leadership does not value anyone's opinion below VP level but important to start listening, caring & taking action. Look around the office - your Honest employees are desperate for leadership: sharing of the vision that will turn this special company around. Communicate. Act like you care when you lose talent vs shrug your shoulders and act like it does not matter. It does. Or it should. Your competition is benefiting from the chaos and it is devastating to see the decline in company morale and engagement since new CEO started.

Sep 19, 2017 – People Team

We appreciate your feedback. We acknowledge we are times of change, and our executive team has begun hosting listening sessions and leadership sessions in order to share the vision for the future and... More

"Awful company leadership - beware!"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Strong belief in mission of the company
    Products have strong customer love
    Director level and below employees are/were great

Cons

Previous leadership lacked the skill or expertise at running a mid-sized company, which resulted in a company culture of gossip, politics, and trash talking. Enter new CEO. Everyone's hope was that he would clean it up, but instead, he continues this culture. It's been 6 months since he arrived and there is STILL no coherent strategy for the company. He has a c-level reporting into another c-level, reporting into a c-level. A big company guy with no experience running a smaller company.

Advice to Management

Good people are leaving everyday and you boast that they "didn't reach the new bar" when that is clearly not true. Look around and take stock - your employees are miserable and that won't change until you change the culture at the top.

Sep 19, 2017 – People Team

Thanks for your review- we are sorry to hear about your experience. We take employee feedback seriously and are committed to continuing to push Honest forward as a desirable and rewarding place to... More

"Caveat Emptor: Buyer Beware!"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very strong brand that has been able to overcome multiple recalls (including one on wipes) and several lawsuits.

Cons

In theory, THC could be a great place to work. In practice, the company has been saddled by poor planning, weak quality control, extremely weak leadership and lack of ability to live up to its mission. Would advise top tier talent to hold off for 18-24 months before coming on board (if company still exists)

- Lack of vision
    - Extremely high departure rate of employees across all levels
    - Weak financial position
    - Finger-pointing culture

Advice to Management

Good luck!

"Manager"

Pros

In the beginning, the comp package was nice and competitive and bonuses were an exciting perk. Many co workers were positive and excited to work for a company that gives back.

Cons

Bonuses are delayed or just don't come. Micromanagement became so bad that I saw people lose their hair and stress became unbearable. No communication. There is a mass exodus of employees that's been happening for months. Top level managers are leaving in droves. They hired a new CEO and no one knows what's happening to the roles. Bad press rules the day and the company.

Advice to Management

Review with your leaders and check their work consistently to see is your teams feel micromanaged. If they do PLEASE hold these leaders accountable. Communicate. If there is a period of transition happening COMMUNICATE. TOP LEVEL leaders communicate! Pay your bonuses and don't make promises you can't keep.

Sep 19, 2017 – People Team

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you didn't get the level of support or communication that you needed during your time here. Our leadership team is... More

"Great people!"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

The people and mission are what make me excited to come to work every day. I learn so much from my colleagues each and every day.

Cons

A lot of change that makes the future a bit unknown.

Advice to Management

Employees are a company's biggest asset. Ensure you continue to invest in their career and development.

Sep 19, 2017 – People Team

Thanks for your note. We agree that we wouldn't be where we are today without our amazing team! Our executive team is prioritizing employee development, employee experience, and rewards and... More

10. "Administrative"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

The has a Great Culture. They do a lot of things for the associates

Cons

Disconnect in communication.