The Honest Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Honest Company CEO Nick Vlahos
Nick Vlahos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Extremely low pay compared to market" (in 12 reviews)

• "Not much room for growth, though the interview process promises otherwise" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Bright future ahead for growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good people -many new employees who unders
    tand how business works and how to be resilient to change in order to be profitable.
    Finally company is growing again and is profitable
    good outlook for next chapter of this company

Cons

we need more people at levels in the company that will execute on the work
    some areas of the business still need right people to do the job

Advice to Management

keep moving the company along, many people are on board
    communication has been good and opportunity to connect with Leadership is better so please keep it up.
     don't listen to negative comments, some people are just not happy anywhere.

"So much potential, but falls short..."

Former Employee - Brand in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Brand in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lovely people (majority)
    -Unlimited vacation
    -Exposure to clean markets (if you come from traditional CPG this is a learning curve with a whole new set of rules, self-imposed may I add)
    - Diverse workplace and people
    - Jessica Alba is inspirational

Cons

-Top heavy corporation - about 10 C-suite execs
    - Lack of bottom tier resourcing - there are not enough people to physically do the work (outsourcing becomes SOP )
    -Lots of decisions are made "on the whim" without examining business implications (time, cost)
    -The saying goes that 80% of the work is done by 20% of the employees, but at Honest its about 95% of the work being done by 5% of the employees.
    - Highest turnover youll ever come across - I had 5 bosses in 12 months
    -Strategy shifts every few weeks and with every new boss
    - ZERO CPG STRUCTURE (none, nada, negative) - fend for yourself, chase your timelines, deliverables and margin as far as you can ALONE... because youll soon find out that no one cares about delivering goods to market

Advice to Management

-Hire more people who can execute
    -Hire people who come from a CPG or brand background (too many people in the building come from these obscure backgrounds that dont bring executional value to the company)
    -Stop giving away promotions like candy on halloween - it devalues them greatly.... Ive never met so many "directors" and "senior directors" at one company EVER.
    -Put processes in place (GATE, Development and a PLM). This is key for a company that has ambitious goals such as Honest. This will cause less frustration and streamline inefficiencies for all facets of the business.
    -FACT: Good employees will leave without process. The longer Honest lacks process the further it is away from its financial goals.

"High turnover"

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people to work with but high turn over.

Cons

Poorly managed if managed at all

"If you have any other options, do not work here. No."

Former Employee - Manager in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

You learn a lot - here's why:
    - Everyone who actually does work covers 3 jobs that have little to do with their original job description. This is mainly due to the embarrassingly high turnover (at times, 3-4 people were leaving every week) and the company will take advantage of your enthusiasm as long as they can
    - Leadership is lazy. I have seen directors and managers watch sports on their laptops for hours, every day. You will have to spoon feed them and essentially do their jobs.
    - Decisions are made on emotions instead of data. This means you will have a lot of practice and do everything at least twice: the first time wrong with their direction, and then the second time, correcting it.

In short, nothing of real value. Aside from a few amazing people (who actually do work).

Cons

Honest attracts a lot of good hearted people with their golden mission. However, that mission is now hollow and the company has become a chaotic and toxic sham of what it was meant to be. This is largely due to weak minded leadership that is so incompetent that it resembles blatant negligence. Examples:

- Seriously flawed internal and external communication and management of major manufacturing quality issues that was borderline unethical
    - Sexist remarks made by senior leadership that went unquestioned
    - Yearly goals shared in Q2 that were dropped shortly after and replaced with nothing, leaving teams in complete confusion with no direction
    - Glassdoor littered with fake reviews per the request of management

I know my experience is not unique. Most people I know left filled with disappointment and completely burned out. This is my honest and most objective review and I wish I knew these things before I joined.

Advice to Management

Don't think you're above doing work. Get to know the numbers before you build out a vision and be accountable to those you lead.

Are you tired of scheming and looking for the next big thing? Pause. Invest in your base business before you lose it. Build upon your strengths and pursue steady and sustainable growth.

And most importantly, your greatest asset is your people. They want to believe in you. Treat them with high regard and earn back their trust. Don't forget you can do nothing without them.

Mar 18, 2019 – The Honest Company

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you the best of luck in the future.

5. "Great people, exciting trajectory"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Exciting time to be a part of the growth
    - Smart, passionate people to collaborate with and learn from
    - Strong team mentality
    - Mission driven people and culture: a company you feel proud to work for
    - Great benefits and perks

Cons

- Continued change as the business and strategy is evolving, which can be challenging at times
    - A lot of business initiatives to deliver on with limited resources in some areas, but leadership is aware and are making efforts to correct this

Advice to Management

- Keep up the transparency on the strategy and business performance

"Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Lead in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at The Honest Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Communication with management was awesome

Cons

The pay wasnt at its best for the work put in

Advice to Management

Look over a wider view of what will help to keep employees happy.

"Turning the ship can be hard. The destination is worthwhile."

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very mission-driven company.
    Beautiful place to spend the workday.
    Nice people.

Cons

Definitely some belt-tightening, which is hard compared to the "old days," but there's transformation taking place so I understand why.

Advice to Management

We get that there's a lot going on and the business dictates your decision-making. Please stay transparent. Promote open communication, and often. HR and senior leaders are trying to promote learning and development- there are talented people here with a desire to grow and develop. Continue to provide these opportunities with more lunch-and-learns, cross-training assignments and internal coaching/mentorship assignments.

Feb 14, 2019 – The Honest Company

Thank you for your review! We are committed to creating an environment that offers a positive and engaging employee employee experience and we hope you will raise this feedback to your leader or HR... More

"Its a scary and sticky situation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Playa Vista, CA

I worked at The Honest Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees have the potential to be involved in many facets of the organization
    Friendly/upbeat working environment
    Modern/comfortable office
    Free healthy snacks
    Many employees are driven, intelligent, and passionate about their roles and the organization
    Several executives are friendly and approachable
    There are many development opportunities

Cons

Communication between creative and certain technical departments was observed to be limited and inefficient

Company updates or milestones were publicly announced before announcing internally to the dedicated employees of the organization

Some critical roles were filled by employees that demonstrated limited knowledge in their area of expertise

Inadequate employee participation regarding product pipeline initiatives and processes

Critical responsibilities have the potential to be passed on to less qualified personnel

Product pipeline initiatives seem to not thoroughly consider critical aspects of product sustainability

Lack of generation/coordination/control of product-related documentation and assets

Productivity is negatively impacted by frequent turnover (newly vacant positions risk either not being filled or completely eliminated)

Minimal emphasis on preventative measures related to product-impact which results in ad hoc/reactionary approach to product-related issues

Sweeping changes to company-wide goals has the potential to make employee-adaptability difficult and stress-inducing

Office amenities and perks are declining

Departments/personnel are not held accountable for not fully carrying out their responsibilities

Learning opportunities for the organization seem to be taken for granted which results in significant repeat errors

It was observed that some departments/department heads offered limited insight in their area of expertise

Some departments demonstrated weak initiative to own responsibilities critical to the product development process

Employee narrative regarding compensation suggests that employee compensation is not competitive with the current job market

Too many management positions and not enough employees to execute required tasks

The quality of work completed within the organization is being negatively impacted, in part, due to the lack of resources.

Many Honest products are lacking in quality and effectiveness and there seems to be no initiative to address this opportunity for improvement

The unpleasant sentiment in seeing a co-founder removed from an enclosed office and placed in the corner of a common dwelling space without any explanation. This calls into question the dynamics taking place among executives/HLT.

Overall, there is no doubt the organization is mission driven. Unfortunately, the organization's drive is overshadowed by the lack of discipline, tools, and certain critical personnel to effectively execute and coordinate company wide initiatives. Furthermore, it was observed that experienced/knowledgeable employees were burdened with demanding/unrealistic work loads

Advice to Management

There seems to be a push to make Honest conform to a rigid conventional corporate mold which has been discouraging talented employees for the last couple years. Instead, the organization should revive the core values and culture that propelled Honest to the unicorn status it had in 2015. Furthermore, the machine-like Chief People officer does not seem to demonstrate the qualities required to bring Honest back to the authentic culture it once had.

Feb 14, 2019 – The Honest Company

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are taking your feedback and addressing it internally, and we wish you the best of luck in the future.

"Morale & business results declining every month"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Beautiful office -although much smaller than it was three years ago
    -Many wonderful people below VP level
    - fun volunteer days

Cons

Please read thru all the reviews here on Glassdoor. Suggest sorting by date and taking the time to read thru. The positive reviews are either written by HR or Mgt strong-armed enoloyees to “write something positive

Thus company was once great and a terrific place to work. Many of us came in very early and worked long past 5 pm because we believed in the mission, saw a bright future for Honest and enjoyed our peers & Mgt team. Those days are long gone. Our CEO sits in his office and rarely interacts with employees outside of his Clorox pais. He had surrounded himself with “yes” men and women who say what the Board wants to hear: not the truth of our dying day tonday business. Retailers are losing faith in us and worst of all, moms aha e started to figure out the REAL Honest Co which isn’t honest AT ALL

Advice to Management

Think it’s too late to save this place but I still wish for a miracle to happen and a real ceo & leadership team that can get us back tom the wonderful mission based company we once were

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at The Honest Company full-time

Pros

Cool office, discounts on products, stocked kitchen, and there are lot of really nice, talented, genuine people who work there.

Cons

A lot of people are leaving, which management has completely ignored. Everyone is completely overworked and under appreciated. Because of budget cuts and a push to report high numbers to the board, those who leave aren't replaced, and the ones who are left are now expected to perform the same but with twice the work.
    And instead of acknowledging and appreciating those who are picking up the slack, it gets completely ignored because everyone is being overworked.

"Unlimited vacation" sounds cool, but translated means you now bring your work with you on vacation because vacation no longer exists. Also, a clever way for management to avoid pricey payouts of the many people who have been leaving.

And although they tout themselves as a "mission-based" company, it is just a clever disguise for the corporation it really is. Management is all-too-desperate to protect their bottom line that it comes at the expense of the ones who helped build the company to begin with. Also truly the first company I've ever seen who gave their employees absolutely no Christmas gift whatsoever- not even a dumb giftcard or a box of chocolate.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the herds of people who have left, and take action before more follow. Appreciate your employees, and stop working them to the point where they burn out. Remember your mission.

Feb 14, 2019 – The Honest Company

Thank you for your feedback. We encourage you to surface this feedback internally as well. We're committed to keeping the communication lines open and value all employee input as it's important to... More