The Houston Chronicle Reviews | Glassdoor

The Houston Chronicle Reviews

Updated 19 Nov 2019

2.5
The Houston Chronicle CEO John C. Mckeon (no image)
John C. Mckeon
Pros
  • "People may view The Houston Chronicle as just a newspaper, but its evolved well beyond(in 10 reviews)

• "I enjoyed my time at the Chronicle, there were lots of good people there(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "All of the issues start with upper management(in 13 reviews)

• "Negative work environment, workers stressed about lay-offs, newspaper is not high quality(in 12 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Regional Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Houston Chronicle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management team, motivating, lucrative, if you work hard it pays off

Cons

multiple comp plan changes throughout my time with the company

The Houston Chronicle2019-06-17
  2. "SDR - High Turnover"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at The Houston Chronicle full-time

Pros

They are developing the program and just hire a new trainer. There is an opportunity to grow into an Account Executive development is based on moving into that role. The goals are reasonable and reachable. The commission is paid every month and is fair pay for being entry level.

Cons

This role is geared towards becoming an Account Executive. AEs have been a revolving door. Some get fired most leave because the commission is constantly changing, plan is unclear, and management can be brutal.

The Houston Chronicle2019-11-19
  3. "Fast Paced"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time

Pros

Fun industry to be a part of.

Cons

Comp plans constantly changed, never knew how much you were getting paid and bad training.

The Houston Chronicle2019-10-09
  4. "Low employee support"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for less than a year

Pros

I took this position because I was not going to have to sit at a desk all day.

Cons

In regard's to not having to sit at a desk all day, I did have to drive my car all over the Lake Houston area and was only given a $200 stipend per month. There were days that I would drive over 100 miles. There were multiple times that the company cheated me out of my commission. They did not pay me out for my last commission check after I put in my notice. Also, I had to write to the HR department for them to... "dig into" finding my last check. I was consistently reached out to from management after hours, so if you want an 8-5 position, this is not it. The company culture is all about pushing the sales team to their limits while the higher up's tell you how poor you are doing.

The Houston Chronicle2019-09-08
  5. "It’s a good company, not a great one"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really good local managers.

Cons

They like to change your goals and commission structure to pay you less but expect you to hunt for my business claiming it’s a “volume play”.

The Houston Chronicle2019-06-14
  6. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are great. Good benefits

Cons

Could not find anything negative about the organization.

The Houston Chronicle2019-05-11
  7. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cypress, TX

I have been working at The Houston Chronicle full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool office. Nothing else. Garbage.

Cons

All of it. It’s a joke. Expect you to live to work. When I first was interviewing I saw the reviews and it was just as bad as it was now and I was thinking it was just some disgruntled employees who just want to complain... I should’ve listened!! I had another job opportunity and they pressured me into choosing them over the other one I was interviewing for. Should’ve been a red flag. Don’t do it. If all you want in... life is to live at the office even though you’re in sales.... sign here!!! Oh, and super clicky.... grow up already.

Advice to Management

Don’t take 3 vacations in a matter of 2 months when you have new employees trying to learn and need you.

The Houston Chronicle2019-06-15

"None"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The training opportunities are many

Cons

Senior leadership heavy without respect for employees

Advice to Management

Change top heavy nature and realize importance of employee

The Houston Chronicle2019-03-30
  9. "Employee review"

Former Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay but when u add up the hrs you work it's not that decent

Cons

Terrible hours poor management upper and middle

Advice to Management

Value your employees don't act like they disgust you when they need issues solved

The Houston Chronicle2019-01-29

"Their Inconsistency Leads to Your Failure"

Former Employee - Advertising Account Executive in Houston, TX

I worked at The Houston Chronicle full-time for less than a year

Pros

The 401K plan is great. The interview process is quick and easy. It's a good job if you're desperate.

Cons

All of the issues start with upper management. Everyone who works in the main office has a different - sometimes hidden - agenda, and everyone is giving you different instructions based on what's best for them. It's confusing. One week you'll be told to push one product, and the next week you'll be told not to. After training, there is very little support or guidance on how to do your job. The training may seem... in-depth at first glance, but new-hires often leave and later realize they've been educated on irrelevant information. There are no clear processes; everyone is always telling you to do something a different way. If you have questions, there's a pretty good chance that the people above you don't know the answer. It's very obvious that the people who make decisions for the sales teams have never been on the sales teams themselves; they are constantly making elaborate plans without thinking of the details for execution. When you get hired on, your offer letter may include a very high commission rate with some type of sign on bonus. This is useless because the commission plans change for the worse quarterly, and you'll have to pay the sign-on bonus back if you leave the company within a year of your start date. To get commission, you must first reach a threshold, which is fine. However, they'll often raise your threshold after you meet it, or they won't give you a threshold and you'll have no idea of what you're capable of earning. Commission is supposedly uncapped, paid monthly with quarterly true-ups, but if they change the commission plan before you get your true-up then you're screwed. They also have weird rules for things you can and cannot get commission on, so you're forced to decide if you want to sell what's best for the client or what's best for the company's pockets. They're also really bad at client relations. The sales, scheduling, and billing departments are so fragmented that miscommunication happens way too often, and this is usually at the expense of the sales-person. Even if the mishap isn't your fault, you'll still get blamed for it. They have a long list of angry former clients. There is no set path for development, so I'm not really sure there's room for growth. They tell you what positions you could move up to, but they don't explain how to get there. Some positions require certifications, and they do not provide assistance with those. They play favorites. High performers are worshiped, which is understandable, but they're also allowed to break rules of engagement. High performers are allowed to poach other people's clients, and I've seen them make it look like they were the ones to find the account originally. The company is split into geographic regions, but that does not mean the reps will stay in their regions. The regional offices are often ignored and lack the resources to be as successful as the main office.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of things wrong, but most of them could be fixed if you were more consistent, transparent, and supportive.

The Houston Chronicle2019-01-30