The Humane Society of the United States Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
The Humane Society of the United States Acting President and CEO Kitty Block
Kitty Block

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are some incredibly dedicated people who work here that will work tirelessly for all animals" (in 5 reviews)

• "You help animals, more than what meets the public eye-- more than 150 THOUSAND a year; it's impressive and awe-inspiring" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance, Low pay, Old building" (in 15 reviews)

• "no work/life balance, don't value employees" (in 8 reviews)

1. "Most Rewarding Job & Wonderful Co-Workers"

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The place to work if you want to create positive change for animals
    Hard work is rewarded and the organization is great about promoting from within
    Dedicated to work/life balance and always looking for new ways to improve employee well being
    Both men and women in leadership roles
    Kind, hardworking co-workers across the globe

Cons

Headquarters in Gaithersburg, which isn't the most accessible to DC metroplex, but it is more affordable to live

"Lots of potential but needs an overhaul"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Ability to work remotely, being a part of an organization that has the most impact for animals, many dedicated coworkers who share the same passion and drive for the cause.

Cons

Poorly organized structure, understaffed, does not value employees or encourage growth.

"Toxic place to work with incompetent managers who treat their subordinates very poorly!"

Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Director in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission to improve lives of animals

Cons

Toxic work environment where long-term staff are made to feel redundant. Management from the top level to mid-level managers need drastic overhaul. The organization has had rampant corruption, harassment and mismanagement of donor dollar problems for many many years.

Advice to Management

Listen to and respect ALL your staff, not just managers or your friends in high places!

"Change for the better"

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having an impact on animal welfare, Working with amazing people, Great manager, Good benefits, Acting CEO seems to honestly want to change the "boys club" culture.

Cons

Work/life balance, Low pay, Old building

Advice to Management

Take what your employees are telling you with this culture reassessment and really change things for the better.

"Good mission, toxic environment and terrible management"

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Mission to save animals is great.

Cons

Bloated organization. Wasteful with donor dollars. Rampant harassment. No oversight of bad managers. No accountability.

Advice to Management

Work harder to engage and inspire employees. Be more transparent.

"Doesn't Care About Staffers"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Marketing Specialist in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I have met some great friends here.
    - Pets in the workplace is really nice. Dog park out back.
    - Time off and flex schedule are amazing. You may never find another company with such a flexible work schedule.

Cons

HSUS does not care about staff. They do not value staff and find it easier to replace someone than promote or give raises. HR is horrible to work with, inflexible, and insensitive. I have seen multiple staffers cry from frustration after meeting with HR. They are openly rude and do not care about giving fair or competitive salaries. They will also lie to your face and tell something completely different to the next person.

Leadership knows how to play both sides and are two-faced. They know what to say to make the board/execs happy while calming the lower level staff. Boys club exists despite the staff being largely female. They don't listen to suggestions from staff.

Staff often have fights with each other. People have complained that omnis are insensitive to vegans and vegans mean to omnis (although I never experienced this). Many of the people in my department were catty and fighting over promotions and rumors. The recent sexual harassment scandals have really divided staff. It can feel like being back at high school at times.

No growth opportunity. Getting more responsibilities is easy and happens often. You are rarely compensated for them. It is like pulling teeth to get a fair raise or promotion. Even if you have good annual reviews and support of supervisors.

The main office is inaccessible via metro. There is also a bug and mouse problem.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Treat them better, pay them better, and learn to keep them.

7. "Good esperience"

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Fun job. Pretty well organized. Diverse and exciting environment.

Cons

Pay wasn't the best, but it's a non-profit. Chaotic at times. Conflict of interest got in the way at times.

"Improvemlent"

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Largest animal welfare organization, people are very dedicated

Cons

no work/life balance, don't value employees

"The best place I've ever worked"

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the most kind, hardworking, talented, thoughtful people I've ever met work here. Almost everyone here lives and breathes animal welfare, applying the principles of a humane society to their personal lives as well as their work lives, from eating thoughtfully to adopting animals to sharing the mission on social media to volunteering at local shelters on the weekends! Everyone works hard, but we benefit from a flex schedule, generous vacation time and dogs in the workplace. The organization practices what it preaches, applying the principles of humane gardening and humane pest management to the property, recycling, offering vegan food and coffee that benefits animal nonprofits, etc. In recent months, there has been a significant push to increase transparency, provide management training and improve employee morale. A wellness program allows staff to obtain good healthcare at a lesser cost.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement and pay increases are minimal. Job titles don't match duties and HR makes it very difficult to update job descriptions or obtain raises despite recent lip service regarding reassessments of job titles and salaries. Openly incompetent managers are shuffled around rather than being terminated, overshadowing the good work of everyone else. Maternity and paternity leave are not in line with otherwise progressive employee benefits. Most senior staff is fantastic, but C-suite and the board are obtuse, opaque, and incapable of appropriately handling a crisis.

Advice to Management

Clean house and raise salaries. Making us live like church mice isn't going to stop our opposition from claiming we're overpaid. When it comes to crisis management, listen to your senior staff.

"Boys Club Atmosphere Drove So Many Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working here and relocated across the country for the opportunity. They do amazing work for the animals and it was wonderful to be part of something so positive.

Cons

Unless you were in a certain clique there was little chance for promotion or for your issues/projects to be taken seriously.
    The women who promoted most/fastest and given the largest raises were those who admittedly had slept with the CEO or other senior staff (or both), which lowered morale for the rest of us who achieved success only through hard work.
    Managers frequently took credit fir their subordinates’ work and little credit was given.

Advice to Management

Take inappropriate sexual relationships seriously. The first thing I was warned about as an intern was to not be alone in the same room as the CEO - I shoukd have known there would be a major problem then.