The Humane Society of the United States Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Wayne Pacelle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work HSUS does is unparalelled and they truly move the needle to help animals (in 10 reviews)

• I was able to bring my dog to work, and see other dogs every single day, which is as awesome as you think it is (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I believe the low pay leads to a lot of turnover in certain areas (in 14 reviews)

• There is zero work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

"Listen to HR"

Pros

Great work for animals. My experience was not bad both it was for others I know.

Cons

Unfair to staff is an understatement.

Advice to Management

Listen to the new HR VP

"A culture of harassment and weak leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Core mission to help animals, plus bring your dog to work.

Cons

Quite possibly the most toxic environment for women I have ever seen. Incredibly weak and inept middle management.

Advice to Management

Advice to Board - Fire your CEO and GC and commence a top to bottom review by an outside law firm. You are sitting on a ticking timebomb of sexual harassment lawsuits.

3. "overall best job"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Brooksville, FL
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Brooksville, FL

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States (More than a year)

Pros

Good flexible hours as well as fun job

Cons

pay is lack luster, but it is done for a good cause

"Great for animals, not so much for people"

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great cause, meaningful work, good benefits

Cons

There are a lot, sadly.

Management - Bad managers are a huge problem. I left because of a terrible experience working for an unqualified manager who spent 40 hours a week micromanaging and harassing me. The sad thing is that this same manager pushed out another employee right before me. We both cited this manager's unacceptable behavior and treatment as a reason for leaving; nothing was done. I know multiple employees who have left due to bad managers. And these were good, smart, valuable employees. HSUS promotes people to management without qualification, even if they have a reputation for being difficult, and then it seems they are unwilling to demote them when they prove to be ineffective and even hostile managers. Their HR department is HUGE but massively ineffective. Their staff is all leaving because of bad managers. They are losing talent and ultimately this makes them less effective at helping animals because they're pushing out passionate, driven people with mismanagement. Which is easy to fix: If someone is a bad manager and you get multiple complaints, or people always leave after working under a certain person, do not let the manage employees. This is not hard!

Culture - A few other reviews have mentioned the culture of "chosen ones." It's true. If you're young, white, thin, extroverted and attractive -- this is the place for you! You'll go far. If you're older, fat, a person of color, shy or quiet and not a social butterfly -- you'll be ignored and then you'll be pushed out. Or you'll work for decades with no acknowledgement and then quietly retire. There is also a racist undercurrent to the HSUS; there are programs that deal with poverty and pets in Black and Hispanic communities, but they are created by and run by white folks and POC are simply tokens they hire to do outreach. (And the white folks train the POC on how to speak to people in their own community.) I sat through so many meetings with nice white ladies talking to other nice white ladies about the right way to talk to Black people. It was infuriating. The place is also, by and large, totally run by women. But who is at the top? White dudes in nice suits. They pointed over and over again to the number of female VPs and managers but the place has so many VPs and managers those titles are essentially meaningless, and at the end of the day, they all report back to the white men in suits.

Pay - Well below the industry standard. I worked there for years, and was "promoted" to a position that had a $0.20 raise per year. TWENTY CENTS. Per year. This was my raise. I was also coached (by management) never to talk about money at yearly reviews or even at interviews for new positions. People don't talk about what they make, but even those in management positions struggle and have to take on side gigs to survive. It's taboo, and HR supports that culture because they know they are underpaying their program staff.

Instability - There are so many staff shake-ups and department shifts here that it never really felt stable. I swear there were about 3 big "shifts" in the time I worked there, so it was about 1 shake-up per year. It was always with the intent of making things better and more effective but then things would just move back to the status quo and everyone would settle in just in time for another shake-up. It's a waste of time, and I got tired of seeing these big shifts that were really just for show because leaders did not want to examine the root causes of these issues, because it would mean taking a long hard look in the mirror. So they just changed the names of departments and split them up into sections instead.

Leaving broke my heart, because this was my dream job, but it was necessary for my mental health.

Advice to Management

Deal with your bad managers. When pretty much everyone leaves because of a bad manager, I don't know how you can continue to ignore the issue and fail to respond to complaints from employees.

5. "Animal Care Technician"

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

Great benefits and rewarding job.

Cons

Upper management tend to care more about the media than the actual employees.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees more often.

"Extremely Dangerous Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great strides in passing bills
    Protecting animals and the inhumane treatment of animals
    Rescuing animals especially during disasters
    Removing animals from puppy mills
    Externally doing great things from an organization standpoint
    Flex hours (to an extent)
    Low pay especially in the non profit industry considering what the CEO makes and how much donation the organization receives

Cons

Severely niched environment personally and professionally
    Management does not know how to delegate, MANAGE and childish. There is no a teamwork, team building atmosphere, more a dumb down run dept especially in marketing.
    NOT innovative; resistant to change; sioled environment, almost feel high schoolish in terms of behavior and management feels threatened if one feels encourages to voice an opinion or suggestion for a change or to try something new,
    Turnover rate is high for a reason.
    Changes in HR should effect these negatives into a positives but change will be slow and probably will take years.

Advice to Management

Not everyone who makes great contribution can manage! Startups do well and the eBays of the world do well because of the team. Not the manager! You are stifling your employees.
    Figure it out! We are tired and burnt out!
    Get rid of your Senior managers and directors. Marketing needs a complete overhaul refresh

"Amazing staff, great programs, horrible leadership"

I have been working at The Humane Society of the United States full-time

Pros

The work HSUS does is unparalelled and they truly move the needle to help animals. The staff are dedicated, passionate people who are there for all the right reasons and support each other fully. Good animal saving policies.

Cons

Upper management, including COO, and CEO among others are not good leaders, and do not listen to staff. Its very old school with a lack of good infrastructure. There is an old boys club here that allows sexual harrassment to go unchecked, and one VP was even promoted to get him out of the dept where 8 women came forward about sexual pressure. Unacceptable.
    Salaries are also much too low.
    Very little opportunity to move up or ever be a senior executive.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to what your staff is asking for. Update your practices and get into the 21st century at the very least, and support your staff with recognition, and opportunities to move around.

"Not bad"

Pros

passionate people. Dogs in office, can leave at the end of the day feeling good about what you do,

Cons

HR department is pretty hard to work with

"only to get through this page"

I worked at The Humane Society of the United States part-time

Pros

cool place to work.
    love animals

Cons

no complaints, no cons, location great

Advice to Management

n/a

"Policy Intern"

Pros

Passionate individuals and an amazing office culture (can bring your dog to work).

Cons

All hires go through the HR Department, and they have no record of past interns/interviews. If you do not meet every minute qualification, you will be rejected.