The Icee Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel Fachner

1. "ok place to start but no long term"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Icee Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire right out of tech school. You learn how to fix lots of commercial kitchen equipment. Company tech support. Equipment training.

Cons

You will get trained on equipment and never touch it or won't get a call on it in 2 years then are expected to remember everything you learned. Drive camera. You can't use Bluetooth while driving, drinking and smoking while driving is not allowed. Lack of communication. Lack of willingness to fix equipment from some service techs. Low yearly raise.

Advice to Management

Train your new techs more so that they know what they are doing before you throw them out into the field. Most are out of school and have zero field service experience and are put into a service van within a couple weeks. Pay your good techs.

"Horrified by the business practices throughout the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at The Icee Company (More than a year)

Pros

Free icee sometimes. The employees with heart, who struggle to stay. Flexibility. Plenty of good laughs. No incentives, sorry.

Cons

Nepotism from ceo down. Good old boy club in the field, no seniority respect, most of all promote proven dangerous people(forced anger mgmt classes twice) into very high positions. I'm glad things changed for me to resign, after learning an abuser became my new boss. No soul to this company. Hostile and far from passion driven.

Advice to Management

Seniority should be preferred to promotions. Abuse employment records should not be held lightly. Employee abuse the second time should have meant termination, why promoted to such level. When you hear about fraud, act on it. Fraud should never be ignored, but investigated. Bonus system should be for all employees. I witnessed lots of hate because this company does not possess an incentive system. Faceless because it is boiling from the corporate inside to the forgotten field. Hire more staff to cover the guys. Fully understand your new technology before going company wide.

"Good Starter Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at The Icee Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours and job stability.

Cons

No room for advancement if you are not related to someone in management it will be years before you are ever considered for an advancement.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that you appreciate their hard work. Give better raises and be willing to promote employees who are not your immediate family members.

"revolving door of customer serviced"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ontario, CA

Pros

It is a good place to start and work is not the hard.

If you get to know people the place can be fun.

There are often potlucks.

Cons

People who are not qualified, or at least do not work, can be promoted if they are related. This makes the rest of us feel like the only way to the top is to marry into the family.

They rather constantly hire incompetent new temps then focus on keeping diligently employees. If you make any mistake you are out.

Each department doesn't like to help each other because everyone is too worried about taking on "someone else's" problem.

People have been fired in the middle of the day and forced to do the walk of shame in front of an entire department.

"To Much Drive time,no incentive,seniority Means nothing!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Belmar, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Belmar, NJ

I worked at The Icee Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company vehicle-With a camera pointed at you every second,Medical insurance-premium is very high. Full time work- mandatory on call hours. If you love driving all day long this is the job for you!

Cons

I am a technician not a truck driver. If you work here be prepared to spend more time driving then actually repairing the machines.I was sent to a call almost 2 hours away only to find out there was another tech that was only 20 min.away.This happened over and over. Its like the manager has no clue! I have driven more than 100 miles in a day.It is very frustrating to spend the entire day driving and not knowing where you will be going the next day.Seniority means nothing !There is no bonus, or incentive programs. The yearly raise is the same 2.5 percent for everyone.Then the premium for the medical insurance goes up too. It's like you didn't get a raise at all. The president of the Icee company Got a bonus of 501,726.00.I got a 200.00 Christmas bonus. It would take me 11 years working here to make what the president of the company got in one year as a bonus! The place I work at now gives monthly bonuses. The tech. pay at Icee is very low,and there is a cap.

Advice to Management

The excessive driving is simple to fix-Give every tech. a zone or area to cover. They stay in their area and repair and maintain the machines.If they need help or have excessive calls send a tech from a slow area to help them out.I think you will find your employees would be happy with that.It would also save the company a ton of money on Gas,vehicle wear and tear,maintenience,and gas.Perhaps the turn over rate would not be so high. The techs,and the little guys are the workers that keep Icee going. I think the Christmas bonus could be a bit more generous. Monthly bonuses would be a great incentive,Why should upper management get huge bonuses,when without the little guys there would be no Icee company. These are the reasons I left,I could see it was not going to change. I am happy were I am now ,and they treat all of the workers with dignity and respect

"Great Benefits"

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Fresno, CA

I have been working at The Icee Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No supervisor breathing down your neck, get to travel, company vehicle, gas card, uniforms, superior medical benefits

Cons

Camera in vehicles, sometime away from home for 1 or 2 weeks for special projects, training lacks

Advice to Management

Provides technicians with more training

"Call Center MANAGER"

Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Hesperia, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Hesperia, CA

I worked at The Icee Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding Company for Customer Service Excellence. First rate care and concern driven towards their Customers in making satisfaction the number one goal.

Cons

Keeping Customer Service Dept. fully staffed year round was a challenge due to the hours and days scheduled to work. Call Center opened 365 Days a year with early operating hours. Continual challenge in getting the right team members to fit in such a busy department.

"Changed"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in River Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in River Grove, IL

I worked at The Icee Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was fun and very professional.

Cons

Sold out to Coca-Cola, never been the same.

Advice to Management

Bring back the Icee Bear for the children.

"Service technician"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Macon, GA

I worked at The Icee Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, ot every week. Fairly independent, leave home straight to work. Good if your just getting into the field. You'll get some xp in refrigeration if your just getting into it. Training and support are a phone call away.

Cons

Ridiculous amount of windshield time, you'll be sick of driving real quick. What's worse is the in cab camera filming you all the time, but just forget about it and it isn't so bad.
    Your limited to the equipment you'll be working on. Like I said, good for a newbie but nothing compared to doing commercial hvac and refrigeration. Salaries cap out at a certain #, want anymore you'll need to go into commercial hvac and refrigeration like I did- just be prepared to work a lot harder cause it makes icee seem easy peasy. I miss the easy peasy security of icee but needed to chase the money and go after what I set out to do long ago. No regrets.
    Healthcare is pricey.

Advice to Management

None, I had great mgrs. Loved them all and left on a good note.

11. "Service Tech"

Former Employee - Service Technician in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Miami, FL

Pros

benefits / 401K / company uniforms / great training, when you finally get it...

Cons

corporate BS / Red Tape...hire secretaries for the local office (c'mon man)

Advice to Management

create an appreciation/incentive program on job performance...2.5% increase per yr...really ?