The Idea People Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2020

3.9
The Idea People President Jay Joyce
Jay Joyce
  1. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Idea People full-time for less than a year

Pros

No micromanagement, great management, culture, and all the latest tech you could ask for!

Cons

Could maybe use some refined processes, otherwise great!

"Building Somthing Special"

Former Employee - Developer in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Idea People full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cool office; good pay; good perks and benefits; great people and friends. Strong focus on creative and technical. Lots of time off and everyone is treated well.

Cons

Lots of new, large accounts. Need more skilled people. No flex or remote time. But we do only work 40 hours a week.

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Creative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture— I've genuinely enjoyed working with everyone at TIP for the past 5 years that I've had the privilege to work here. The office is pretty open minded, we get to socialize throughout the day, have weekly lunch outings and get a lot more days off per year than what the actual employee handbook might state. It's always positive vibes in the office. Management— They invest into you and the company. They believe in your work, to the point I've explored avenues of creativity that I'd never had gone down if I wasn't working here. Which has pushed me in my career to where I want to be (and still going). They pay your worth and more, the pay raises are frequent and your hard work doesn't go unseen, rewards are a huge factor. Perks— Weekly lunches. Time off around the holidays and extra time off. Full health insurance. Newest technology when you ask for it. Ability to move around the office as much as you'd like. The pay is great. They encourage you to step up, speak out and be heard.

Cons

In the creative department of TIP, I can't really say much for cons, it runs smoothly. We could have better systems in place for the creative side of things (we're working on that now), but I feel like thats something thats forever growing, expanding and being reimplemented. I know sometimes deadlines get tight, but thats just the nature of the beast for the field that we all work in.

February 15, 2019Vice-President

Thank you for writing an honest review that highlights our internal culture. We do work extra hard to make The Idea People a great place to work in every aspect. We value each and every person who contributes so much every day.

"Thoughts of my workplace"

Current Employee - Designer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and close friendships that are created. The encouragement from management to push yourself. You are trusted in your decisions and are given a chance to prove yourself. We have fun while we work, unlimited supply of coffee, and go out for company lunches weekly (sometimes twice a week). From what I have heard, the salary is the best offered of all digital agencies in Charlotte. The extra time off around holidays throughout the year (time off between Christmas and New Years). We are invested into; with getting top of the line equipment and tech to help us create amazing work for our clients. And we are encouraged to learn more and dive deeper into our role. The office is right outside of uptown. Less than a mile walk/bike ride to the light rail, and walking distance to great lunch spots. The updated office layout allows us to sit at our desk, or go to another area to stand and work, of even go sit in the "sun room" as we call it and work while watching the Charlotte skyline. We are offered 100% Fully Paid Health Insurance.

Cons

I'm sure this is a con for most digital agencies, but the project management and communication across all departments could be better which sometimes leads into a lack of understanding the project when we get started. I am not a big fan of our hours, which is 8:30am - 5:30pm. With living right over the border in SC, and taking the light rail, I don't typically get home till 6:45pm or 7:00pm depending on traffic.

February 15, 2019Vice-President

We appreciate your comments. Thanks for the review.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time for more than a year

Pros

Chance to work with interesting brands and awesome people (clients and co-workers alike). Unlike other agencies where I've worked, TIP employees really work together and support each other; there is no sense of aggressive competition between co-workers. Also, it is easy to achieve a positive work/life balance, which is difficult elsewhere in the digital space. Salary, benefits, and perks are competitive and fair.

Cons

No significant cons come to mind. As with any growing agency, there are some organizational and structural items to be sorted out; however this does not have a negative impact on the overall experience of working at TIP.

"Unprofessional"

1.0

I worked at The Idea People part-time

Pros

The latest Apple software, weekly company provided lunches, decent office space, company supplied snacks and drinks.

Cons

I haven't been at The Idea People for a couple of years but I ran into a friend who recently worked for them. That friend shared their experience at The Idea People and it reminded me how bad it was while I was there. I never got around to leaving a review after I left so I decided to take the opportunity now and leave one and hopefully save some people from making the same mistake I made by working there. Inflexible/Controlling work environment. Work hours were officially 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM. Owners consider you late if you aren't at work by 8:27 AM and you're considered leaving early if you leave at 5:27 PM. Forget working from home. Don't even think about taking an hour lunch. Basically, once you get to work for the day, they don't want you to leave the building unless it's approved by them. The owners even check the security cameras to keep tabs on employees when they aren't there. Unprofessional owners. They take everything personally. Instead of keeping professional relationships with employees, they get personally offended over every little thing and will use their personal feelings against you. Inappropriate Jokes. Both owners are guilty of making incredibly inappropriate jokes in the workplace. More than once I felt extremely uncomfortable by their "sense of humor." Jokes are either sexually inappropriate or politically charged. The owners will also argue with each other in front of employees and openly talk negatively about each other. No HR. There's no HR department so if you feel uncomfortable at work or feel like you've been treated unfairly, there's no one to go to. You either have to suck it up, quit or be fired. Deadlines: Tight deadlines and the owners are on top of you every second until work is completed. It's extremely stressful and they don't allow you to leave until the deadline is met. Owners shouldn't agree to such tight deadlines if there isn't the bandwidth. Below Average Pay: The owners claim everyone is paid appropriately but the salaries are below average for the industry.

October 12, 2018Vice-President

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry that you feel the way you do and had an unpleasant time with us. By your comments, it is clear you were not the right fit for our company. Setting the record straight: • As entrepreneurs, we do work a lot. I don't know a successful business owner who doesn't. However, we do not require our team members to do so. • Every employee maintains a healthy work-life balance, always. We work 8:30 am - 5:30 pm Monday-Friday. There are plenty of breaks and no hard rules. There is rarely any work after 5:30 and never on the weekend. It's a relaxed environment. • We are a company comprised of achievers, self-starters, smart and career focused individuals...not clock watchers, those who work the bare minimum, or those who are here just for a paycheck and had rather keep a team divided rather than bring them together. • While others were prospering, contributing, advancing their careers, and helping us move forward, we are sure you felt out-of-place. • If you had brought this to our attention, we would have worked with you to find a new position at another company and given you the time to do so as you wrapped up things at TIP. It's obvious you are disgruntled, quite a fabricator. As you know, your comments do not represent TIP. • By the way, females make up 30% of our workforce. • As far as inappropriate and unprofessionalism, there is no way we could have maintained healthy companies for this long if that was the case. Your allegations are without merit. • Our company goes out of its way to provide a friendly and positive work culture...not only in above market salaries, but in our environment, ethics, deadlines, team involvement in the decision-making process, and in professionalism.

"Not a good place to work"

1.0

I worked at The Idea People full-time

Pros

Location was decent. Lunches were provided pretty often.

Cons

Don't let their interview promises fool you. This place is pretty bad.

February 28, 2018Vice-President

We are disappointed that you had a bad experience here. We do wish you the best in your design career. The best advice is to be truthful on your job application. If there are any "hidden" areas of your past, they usually surface. No one should ever misprespresent themselves.

"Good"

I worked at The Idea People full-time

Pros

Salary, Lunch Outting's, People, Clients

Cons

Hours, Traffic, Deadline Pressure, Location

October 13, 2018Founder

Thanks for your positive review. We appreciate it.

"Like Working Here"

Current Employee - Content Development in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TIP is a leader of web development here in Charlotte. The people here are amazing and our team really clicks. That's why we turn out great products that we're and our clients are proud of. Everybody's treated equal and our opinions count,

Cons

If anything the Charlotte traffic is bad, but that's a negative wherever you work. I like coming to work everyday. We have a fun environment and everyone gets along well with everyone else.

October 13, 2018Founder

Our goal is to provide a positive work environment and we appreciate your comments. Thank you.

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time for less than a year

Pros

My pay is industry standard (national average) for graphic designers. Excellent insurance (for just me, not family). Forward thinking with technology and programming. 3D printer is available to use. Good sales team gives us interesting and high-profile clients to work on. Challenging environment brings out the best in my designs. Sharing projects, rather than competing for projects. Access to Linda.com for training. Agreeable deadlines and encouragement to learn HTML and CSS. Monthly meetings with all employees to work out differences and flesh out new company ideas are motivational and let us feel involved in the direction of the company and the processes we use. Inclusive of LGBT people. I have not had to work any overtime at all since being hired. Management takes responsibility for mistakes and corrects them quickly. Casual office space with non-flourescent lighting. Location is near South End on the edge of the city. Plenty of parking spaces near the building. Creating a standing work area that we can switch to if needed throughout the day.

Cons

Need to be in the office 8:30 - 5:30. No female employees to date. Insurance doesn't include family members. No 401K. Some of the negative reviews that others have made (incompetent management, bad pay, excessive overtime), I have not seen any evidence of in my first year of being here.

October 13, 2018Founder

Thank you for clarifying some less than positive reviews. And we do have a great diversity in our workforce with female employees. We are always goal setting for improvement in all areas! We appreciate your feedback.

Found 17 reviews