The Idea People Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Jay Joyce

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Professional + Talent = Greatness"

Current Employee - Designer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Designer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Autonomy + Equal Respect: There is tons of respect for every individual within this company. People do not view you as your title or where you fall on the totem pole. Everyone has a voice and an opportunity to "self-govern" --the opportunity is what you make it.

Culture: The culture at TIP is excellent. I've never had the pleasure of being in such a positive, inviting, helpful environment before-- so this especially stands out to me in my experience. Not to mention people atTIP are honest and fair.

The Clients + The Team: We have great clients and a great team to support them. It makes doing the work fun, because we are constantly surrounded by super smart individuals innovating on a daily basis.

Cons

I don't like the commute, but who does in Charlotte?

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at The Idea People full-time

Pros

Location was decent. Lunches were provided pretty often.

Cons

Don't let their interview promises fool you. This place is pretty bad.

Feb 28, 2018 – Founder

Unfortunately, this employee was only with us for a short time. After discovering there were inaccuracies on his employment application brought to our attention by county and state governmental... More

"Good"

I worked at The Idea People full-time

Pros

Salary, Lunch Outting's, People, Clients

Cons

Hours, Traffic, Deadline Pressure, Location

Advice to Management

Nothing

"Like Working Here"

Current Employee - Content Development in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Content Development in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TIP is a leader of web development here in Charlotte. The people here are amazing and our team really clicks. That's why we turn out great products that we're and our clients are proud of. Everybody's treated equal and our opinions count,

Cons

If anything the Charlotte traffic is bad, but that's a negative wherever you work. I like coming to work everyday. We have a fun environment and everyone gets along well with everyone else.

Advice to Management

We have a solid team and great management. They're fair to everyone and always available to help.

"Excellent Company"

Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - User Experience/UI Designer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My pay is industry standard (national average) for graphic designers.
    Excellent insurance (for just me, not family).
    Forward thinking with technology and programming.
    3D printer is available to use.
    Good sales team gives us interesting and high-profile clients to work on.
    Challenging environment brings out the best in my designs.
    Sharing projects, rather than competing for projects.
    Access to Linda.com for training.
    Agreeable deadlines and encouragement to learn HTML and CSS.
    Monthly meetings with all employees to work out differences and flesh out new company ideas are motivational and let us feel involved in the direction of the company and the processes we use.
    Inclusive of LGBT people.
    I have not had to work any overtime at all since being hired.
    Management takes responsibility for mistakes and corrects them quickly.
    Casual office space with non-flourescent lighting.
    Location is near South End on the edge of the city. Plenty of parking spaces near the building.
    Creating a standing work area that we can switch to if needed throughout the day.

Cons

Need to be in the office 8:30 - 5:30.
    No female employees to date.
    Insurance doesn't include family members.
    No 401K.

Some of the negative reviews that others have made (incompetent management, bad pay, excessive overtime), I have not seen any evidence of in my first year of being here.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing us and including us in decision making about making TIP the best place to work. Looking forward to the standing desks!

Keep up the good work on the marketing front. I'm already seeing 100% better clients even in this last year!

Perhaps take a chance on hiring a woman. I don't see any reason why it would change our culture at all.

"I Like It!"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at The Idea People full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at a number of agencies in Charlotte. None treat their employees better than The Idea People. Everyone is treated fairly and the environment is nourishing and fun. Money is good and benefits are great as well.

Cons

Maybe some more remote work time, but the company has recently allowed work from home days.

Advice to Management

Keep the open communication going. I, for one, like the transparency and equality for all management strategy.

"A Designers' Outlook"

Current Employee - Creative Designer in Harrisburg, NC
    Current Employee - Creative Designer in Harrisburg, NC

I have been working at The Idea People (More than a year)

Pros

TIP is a one of a kind agency. We've got great clientele and we're always pushing for edge breaking creativity and latest dev technologies. Team-outtings, free lunches and sometimes even half-day Fridays. They spoil you at best. I've came from the corporate world and it's been a blessing to have a team that I know I can trust and that stays organized. It's not a "stay quiet and do your work environment". We're outgoing and laugh majority of the day. No one breathes down your neck and the dead lines are ideally flexible. They pay your worth and more. The owners generally care for their employees and try to help them in any situation. They take your advice and put your ideas back into the agency.

Cons

Traffic. Commuting is unpredictable 80% of the time due to people forgetting how to drive.

Advice to Management

You guys have been melding the agency into a dream spot to work, with all of the employees' advice and knowledge in mind. Keep it up.

"Awesome Media Agency"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great workstations, office setting, quality co-workers and interesting projects. The company owners invest heavily back into the business. Excellent core team of content production, designers and developers.

Cons

No flex time or remote work options. It can be difficult for people that have worked in different developer environments to adjust to a media agency workflow.

Advice to Management

More cool stuff like our "idea days" and developer / designer knowledge sharing meetings.

"A trap I fell for so that you don't have to!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at The Idea People full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice office
    - Provided with Mac hardware
    - Free lunch frequently
    - 100% paid health insurance (for yourself, no family plans)

Cons

- No female employees are ever hired because they don't "fit" into the culture
    - Owners do not trust employees to work from home
    - You must come to work early. If you come in 5 minutes late you will get chewed out. Even if you worked 8+ hours over the weekend
    - Cant publicly do freelance, the owners frown upon it and get upset
    - Pay is no where near market average. Everyone is paid at entry-level or less
    - Project management is non-existent
    - Deadlines are created by people whom do not have the technical knowledge to do so
    - Quite frequently the owners will "forget" a deadline for a project that no one knows about and force everyone to work overtime to complete the project
    - High turnover for obvious reasons
    - When you leave the company the Owners take it very personal and not professionally. They will do everything they can to get the rest of the team to dislike the people who quit. They will harass you and tell you that you are destroying the company by leaving
    - You will have someone looking over your shoulder all day to see if things are getting done

Advice to Management

Allow people to work from home. Stop taking things so personally, it's a business. Hire some females. Allow flexible work hours. Hire some project managers.

Mar 1, 2018 – Founder

Please note that all 3-4 of these review "attacks" are from people who were contracted to work for TIP though recruitment agencies during a large-scale project with a short time-line. None were... More

"Bizarre"

Pros

They have (had?) a nice office space

Cons

Take a look at the team roster on their website, then look again in a week. It has either changed, or they neglected to update it. If your aim is to get hired by two men that spout inappropriate jokes and treat their clients in backwards and immoral ways on a daily basis, your search is over. If you're looking for a group which has no means of project management, hilarious deadlines put in place for seemingly no reason, and a company which treats their clients like children seeking a handout, The Idea People is waiting for you with open arms. Stay far away.

Aug 14, 2015 – Founder