The Inn at St. John's Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Guest Service Agent"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent

I worked at The Inn at St. John's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic Team. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Management was readily available to assist when needed.

Cons

Had no cons, I fully enjoyed working for this company. I only left because I moved out of state

2. "Event Manager"

I worked at The Inn at St. John's full-time

Pros

It has a small management company so they have the flexibility to work with you in creating positions and learning experiences.

Cons

Lack of training upon hire. There is a disconnect with the executive team and the lower level managers and service staff. HR lacks professionalism.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentives/awards/recognition for hard working managers and service staff.

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI
    Current Employee - Banquet Captain in Plymouth, MI

I have been working at The Inn at St. John's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is made simple, and you make a great bond with coworkers.

Cons

I wouldnt say there are very man cons to working there.

Advice to Management

The management is great, so nothing there!

4. "Place sucks"

Current Employee - HOUSEMAN
    Current Employee - HOUSEMAN

I have been working at The Inn at St. John's full-time

Pros

They pretty much will let you take anytime off you need. You also get to golf for a discount. Also when an event is over the leftover food can be eaten

Cons

Where do I start??
    No one is held accountable here, you could show up 3hrs late and no one bats an eye. People call off up to 3 times a week and still have a job. The F&B director every couple of weeks tries implementing rules that end up destroying morale and have no benefit what so ever.

Advice to Management

Start holding people accountable and actually make an effort to show your employees they're actually appreciated. Also maybe see if implementing something is a terrible idea

5. "Server"

Current Employee - Server in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Server in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Inn at St. John's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is supportive and everyone works as a team. You also are almost given your time requests off without any questions.

Cons

Everything is constantly changing at 5ive. New floors, furniture, menus, what we have to wear. I have been here for a few years now and I have noticed that very few stay for very long.

Advice to Management

I think that the best advice for management is reward those who work the hardest at the workplace-the ones you can depend on because those are the ones that will stick around.

6. "Cart Staff"

Pros

Fun job laid back atmosphere

Cons

Low pay. sporadic shifts. Often not doing much.

7. "Great Place To Work"

Pros

Great bosses, very relaxed enviorment

Cons

very fast-paced, not much room for advancement

8. "There's better banquet centers, better hotels, and better golf courses to work at. I can't wait to leave this place!"

I have been working at The Inn at St. John's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a nice looking place with a lot of nice employees. Not much else good going on.

Cons

No employee appreciation - everyone is underpaid and raises are rare and very little if you are lucky enough to even get one. Safety is a joke, you are treated like you don't matter, offices are in the basement where it is dark and depressing with no windows, management treats you like dirt even though they could never run the place without us "little people", being mediocre seems to be encouraged as they don't seem to want to spend money on raises to keep the great employees or open to ideas that might cost them money. They also don't let you stay at the hotel or drink on the property so golfing or attending weddings may not be as fun for you if you're an employee there. You also don't actually work for St. John's but for a hotel management company, so they really don't have the best interest of the property or its workers at heart.

Advice to Management

You have some really great employees but after talking with many of them (in various departments) the consensus seems to be that your company is lousy. I've seen a lot of good people leave over the years out of frustration or because similar jobs elsewhere pay better and other companies treat their employees better. I suggest you pay people more, encourage them to grow within the company (and give them opportunities and the education to do so) and treat them better if you want your business to succeed.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Beautiful setting. Nothing else.

Cons

Any advice to anyone looking to be employed here, please save yourself, and decline any offer. These are the absolute worst people to work for. The GM Paul does not even talk to his staff and is completely out of touch with what is going on within his property. The Executive Team is composed of a bunch of arrogant people who look down on everyone below them. The pay is awful and the rules are policies are all again the law. Save yourself time and headaches.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Great resume builder, but don't expect much money."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Plymouth, MI

I worked at The Inn at St. John's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with, a lot of passionate people, definitely a resume builder, and the employee perks were nice (discounted golf, meals, etc.)

Cons

Creativity from the "lower ranks" seems to be discouraged, people can and will be written up for anything, hours are very odd and often scarce, employee reviews and raises are non-existent, some managers treat employees like dirt.

Advice to Management

Encourage employee creativity, give performance appraisals regularly (at least yearly), and take note of how your first-line managers treat your employees.