The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews

Updated Jun 27, 2020

3.4
The J. M. Smucker Company President and Chief Executive Officer Mark T. Smucker (no image)
Mark T. Smucker
Pros
  • "Company values teamwork and work-life balance(in 56 reviews)

• "My coworkers are great - Smucker really does attract some great people(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "They relocated roles from the SF office to Ohio, which unfortunately led to my departure(in 14 reviews)

• "Work life balance is often a struggle(in 13 reviews)

1. "Great co-workers and environment"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Build great working relationships. Dog friendly environment. Great office space.

Cons

job security staying in CA

2. COVID-19

"Good"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Thanks for support during Covid

Cons

Not in touch with consumer trends. PR is a joke.

3. "Great company!"

Former Employee - Manager, Consumer Promotions in San Francisco, CA

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company culture and exciting opportunities

Cons

They relocated roles from the SF office to Ohio, which unfortunately led to my departure.

4. "Great culture with great benefits"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Technician

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture of hiring from within and allowing employees to move up. Benefits such as bonuses, PPE allowances, and PTO are great.

Cons

Miscommunication is lacking at times between departments but nothing that other companies don't deal with as well.

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Developer in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cares about employees, helps out the community, good work life balance

Cons

Out of date technology, slow moving, not great compensation for staying

6. COVID-19

"JM SMucker Ripon WI"

Current Employee - Production Worker in Ripon, WI

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are not bad.

Cons

This place is not a place to work if you have a life outside work, they write you up if you try to take personal or vacation time. They are so worried about COVID 19 but management can not forcast correctly and we run out of supplies during the week and make us work on saturdays to make up for their mistake, but they are not required to come in and be there on weekends and they require face mask and took water bubblers away and provide dixie cups of water from a dirty dispenser. They make promises over and over about hours and they change them on short notice. Management swears at production workers and treat them like lesser people. They equipment is no mantained and can be dangerous at times.

The J. M. Smucker Company Response

June 9, 2020Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The experience you describe differs from most of the feedback we receive from current and former employees and is not consistent with our Company values and beliefs. We will make sure your comments are reviewed by members of our internal team both at the facility and corporately.

"Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else"

Former Employee - General Labor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is ok, people were good to work with.

Cons

Get ready for no work life balance. You don't find out your work schedule for next week until generally the Thursday before and even that can change to Friday at management discretion. Very difficult to make plans this way. Union is weak, more interested in pleasing management. Worst part is the forced OT on weekends to "clean" the bakery. These jobs are cleaning ovens, dryers, etc. Sometimes you're unfortunate to get scheduled for a double clean...so yeah 16 hours of this garbage. Your one day off is just to recuperate before starting it all over again. Stay away and find something better.

Continue reading

"Make sure your in management, or run away."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Competitive pay. - Great coworkers (mostly)

Cons

Family oriented company, if you're he Smuckers family. Big Heart was a great place to work, until they got bought out by Smuckers. -Since then, they replaced a great benefits package with an ok one. -They have changed their OT policies. Causing the loss of hundreds of dollars a week to some employees. The policy changes also punish those who use any kind of vacation unless it's used in 5 day increments. -Policies are changed every few months, often removing or making it harder to use benefits such as vacation without causing financial backlash to yourself. -Company will threaten write ups for overtime that is required to complete a run, clean up etc. And then force you to take overtime within the next 48 hours. -Smuckers will threaten to write you up for 'close calls' caused by long reported OSHA violations. -Smuckers cannot keep staffed, employees are constantly leaving. The list goes on. The pet food industry has increadibly high profit margins, but Smuckers continues to squeez what they can from there employees while paying out large bonuses to those that help.

9. "Great job"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

It was a great job

Cons

There's no bad about it

Continue reading

"Company stuck back in 1897"

Former Employee - R&D Engineer

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

-Best employment opportunity if living farmlands is your thing -Pretty slow moving so you can focus on what you’re doing -Best cultural features include rolling frozen turkeys for thanksgiving and summer farmer’s market

Cons

-Pay/benefits is mediocre at best -Huge diversity and inclusion issue. There’s a lot of bias based on sex and race. Reporting bias issues to HR is a bit of a joke. One person was sympathetic saying “that’s not right, and we can do better” but they’ll refer you to a someone else who reminds you of any obligation you have to the organization and that they have to “make hard decisions” when it comes to making diversity and inclusion change. -Leadership leaves too much up to the discretion of the departments/managers. Some departments and managers thrive in this others fail under the pressure.

Found 404 reviews