The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Mark T. Smucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work-life balance and they treat their employees very well (in 38 reviews)

• Great people, great facilities in Orrville and other offsite locations (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Aside from that the office itself is located in Orrvile, which is in the middle of nowhere (in 7 reviews)

• In my department there were no openings to be hired back full time (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good Company to work for"

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Good values and family like atmosphere

Cons

A little close minded in their thinking

Advice to Management

Bring more of the outside world in from a work force standpoint

2. "Best place to work"

Former Employee - Intern in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful environment. Basic belief and corporate culture are really apply.

Cons

Located in an small town

3. "Great Company"

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is awesome

Cons

Pay is lower than average

Advice to Management

Pay employees fairly

4. "Great Company to gain first experience"

Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Technologist in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, great benefits, great company campus.

Cons

Location, not much room for development for young professionals, change is slow.

5. "Electrical & Instrumentation Technician"

Former Employee - Electrical and Instrumentation Technician in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Electrical and Instrumentation Technician in Memphis, TN

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easily one of the best companies to work for. If not the best. Benefits are way above average. They support continuing education and will reimburse up to 100% (after 12 months employment). This was huge for me. Then you can get into R&D, electrical engineering, higher management, etc. all within the company. I had just went through a massive layoff in the oil and gas industry. Working as an Electrical/Electronics Technician. Found Smuckers and felt like I was right back home. The equipment was state of the art. The facility was state of the art. Management and employees were greatly trained.

Made a mistake and let a COO of another company in another industry talk me into leaving and coming there. Rare opportunity he said.

Lesson learned: if you go to smuckers... stay at smuckers for a minimum of five years. If you have previous experience in an industrial industry and you like good management, maintained equipment, peer to peer support, and quality safety and production - then Smuckers is for you. If you have no experience or poor experience and you want to see how a company should be ran - then Smuckers is for you.

Took almost a month to get through the hiring process and waiting game but that's good. They're thorough as they should be. That's why it's a great company.

Lastly, Smuckers is highly recognized in the food production industry. They hold the highest of the highest standard. If you're reading this I hope you get the opportunity to work there.

Cons

That I probably won't ever get to work there again because I left after a month. I did give a face to face two weeks and then turned in an electronic copy. They asked if I was sure and if I wanted to wait a little longer. Silly me. Can't blaim them from a management standpoint.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Every company has positive and negative reviews. You guys are doing it right.

6. "Company Comes First"

Former Employee - Finance in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Finance in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers, great facilities, benefits, training and job rotations. Good place to start a career and enhance your resume.

Cons

Very political and tough to differentiate yourself. Being talented is often less rewarded than looking the part and being able to speak to things at a high level. Completely different culture since they made CEO and COO changes. Typically do not have employee's best interests in mind for career path or personal growth. Salary is not competitive.

Advice to Management

Promote employees based on merit, put more emphasis on 360 feedback (especially those who report directly to the individual.) Rebuild the trust that has been lost between leadership and employees. Follow through on commitments and be transparent on career paths. Lastly, be fair and do the right thing.

"Horrible since we were acquired by JM smucker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomsburg, PA

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is good compared to other businesses in the area

Cons

Since being acquired by JM smuckers they have proven time and again they can't run a pet food factory. Job security is a joke as well as balance between work and family.

Advice to Management

When looking at ways to improve efficiency look in a mirror. Safety is repeatedly looked as employees fault but forced 12 hour days 7 days a week for months isn't seen as a issue. Downtime is also blamed on employees and the reason that 7 day runs are necessary. Not looked at is we run a weekend 4 hours into a Monday we run out of 3 major ingredients. Employees are expected to have pride in their work but yet do that not knowing if the next day they will be moved to another shift or have a job at all. Smuckers main ideals are family that is true if your last name is smucker. A simple thank you does not cut it when family time is cut, your dead tired, insurance costs go up and benefits are taken away. It doesn't matter how much pizza you buy a person. Seriously that's your gratitude.

8. "Has it's pros and cons"

Current Employee - Operations Technician in Ripon, WI
    Current Employee - Operations Technician in Ripon, WI

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable hours, Reasonable Coworkers, Great pay. The company wants to modernize, and it's a great idea to get behind.

Cons

Lack of communication and leadership. Lots of employees who will not embrace change.

Advice to Management

Get everyone on board.

"Quality Manager"

Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oreville, OH
    Former Employee - Quality Manager in Oreville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Campus, Free Coffee, new gym

Cons

no growth opportunity, not a forward thinking company, Managers that thought turning a blind eye would solve all problems.
    Office located in middle of no where

"Growing Pains"

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Quality products, #1 brands

Cons

Salaries below rest of market
    No career path planning
    Always playing catch up
    HQ in Orrville, OH

Advice to Management

Can't cut our way to success. Focus on what we can do to drive business forward instead of looking for ways to continue to cut.