The J. M. Smucker Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Mark T. Smucker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The company preaches work-life balance" (in 8 reviews)

• "Aside from that the office itself is located in Orrvile, which is in the middle of nowhere" (in 7 reviews)

"Great place to work with top talent."

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented company with great perks, advancement opportunities, and top talent!

Cons

No clear career path but opportunities to advance if you make it known what you want. Lots of change in the recent years has employees wearing many hats as positions change and/or departments are short staffed. Headquarters in small town Ohio.

Mar 5, 2019 – Company Representative

Your comments are appreciated! Thank you for sharing your perspective.

"Changes"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance

Cons

Poor leadership direction . Company changing values

3. "Fair Company"

Current Employee - Packaging in Meadville, PA
    Current Employee - Packaging in Meadville, PA

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great hours if u like 12 hour shifts. Get a lot of days off because of the 12 hour schedule.

Cons

Horrible insurance benefits are terrible.

Advice to Management

Fix the insurance

"R&D doesn't know what they want"

Current Employee - R&D Technician in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - R&D Technician in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They hire some great people. I loved my co-workers and the facilities are nice too

Cons

R&D Pet management has zero clue what they are doing. They keep changing the organization, goals, positions, position requirements. They randomly changed my job and career path randomly without asking and expected me to just continue to work. I would highly recommend avoiding Pet R&D

Advice to Management

Listen to the people actually doing the work. They know what they are doing. Promote from within.

"Good pay,... That's it."

Former Employee - Processor in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Processor in Buffalo, NY

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their pay rate is extremely good, and a few of the workers there are cool.

Cons

Plan on working sixteen hours Friday night. Every Friday night, and maybe a few twelves during the week. You lose your personal life, you will be there more than with your family. Gets old real quick.
    All you'll do is work and go home to sleep. Then go right back to work, six days a week.

"Good comapany to work for"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They encourage continuous education with many onsite offerings

Cons

Very political, compensation is decent but the medical benefits are not

"Fake Culture"

Former Employee - Information Services Employee in Orrville, OH
    Former Employee - Information Services Employee in Orrville, OH

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The salary and flexibility were great. This job allowed me to really be lazy. They tend to hire bright people, so most people are fun/interesting to work with.

Cons

-Very shallow values. Management seems to promote based on if you have the Smucker look. It's basically high school all over again, with the prep kids getting the preferential treatment.
    -HR is extremely out of touch. There is no program or path to advancing to "the next step." They preach that they are about growth, but it's a facade. HR also has no idea what the jobs are that they staff, but this is typical for many companies.
    -The recent acquisitions are toxic. They acquire companies and then give the incoming new employees better treatment than their legacy employees. I often see additions where they are not necessary and end up disrupting the department.
    -Very shallow priorities. They decorate with the newest furniture, have weird perks such as an on-site masseuse. However the company is performing poorly and jobs are being cut before the "perks".
    -Management is above truly talking to "regular" employees. They try to promote being approachable, but they are anything but that.
    -The old culture is gone. They try to preserve it with a weird cult-like following, complete with brochures, an archives department dedicated to "showcasing the past", and a certificate for completing the brain-washing that is known as the "Why we are, who we are" class. The homage they pay to the older generation is not followed by actions, but just a weird North Korean style worshiping.

Advice to Management

Listen to the common theme many are saying - return to your old ways of truly caring for employees. I came on just as the BHP integration was complete and saw the last of the old ways - very sad to see what the company once was and where it is today.

Feb 4, 2019 – Company Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We remain extremely proud of The J.M. Smucker Company - both our rich history and who we’ve become today. As our Company grows, we’ve been... More

"A Political Nightmare"

Current Employee - Manager in Orrville, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Orrville, OH

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amenities are great! Daycare, Onsite Gym, Cafe

Cons

Flexible time is only given to the chosen employees.
    If you voice your opinion, your blacklisted and forced to quit because of the manipulative nature of management.
    "Smucker" Culture is a joke. If you aren't a chosen or you won't sleep your way to the top you have no career at Smucker's.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, be fair and equitable and stop encouraging men to harass women because they know they can get away with it

Mar 12, 2019 – Company Representative

This type of feedback is concerning to us, thank you for sharing it. We take comments like this very seriously and strongly encourage you to contact a member of our Employee Relations team directly... More

9. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time

Pros

They respect employee opinions. Family atmosphere

Cons

there are no cons to mention

"Smucker Career Employee"

I have been working at The J. M. Smucker Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful company, excellent benefits, love the culture

Cons

Only the Orrville, OH location gets the beautiful buildings and perks shown in the photos. The plant locations are not as glamorous. We have to constantly save money and pinch pennies while the corporate employees are living the high life.

Advice to Management

Care more about the bread and butter of your company - the plant locations!

Jan 17, 2019 – Corporate Communications Representative

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We'll make sure your feedback is passed along to members of our internal team.