The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Very cool venue"

Former Employee - Venue Assistant in Eugene, OR

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Shedd serves as a hub for creatives in the theater and musical industry.

Cons

Very awesome place is hard to leave!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

2. "Assistant Stage Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Stage Manager in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Stage Manager in Eugene, OR

I have been working at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts (More than a year)

Pros

You receive real-world experience and get to work with a fantastic creative team and actors.

Cons

The producer makes it impossible to perform your job. He doesn't care about safety, reality or the opinions of others. It is an incredibly tight schedule (usually 4 weeks) and he will add changes up till opening night.

Advice to Management

The producer needs to either be fired or he needs a reality check.

3. "Not worth the time or effort"

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts part-time

Pros

VA's tend to have each others backs and there are a few supervisors who are actually helpful and considerate towards the venue assistants.

Cons

Despite the aforementioned supervisors, the workplace is extremely strict. I found myself following their rules to a T but then being reprimanded because I wasn't doing things as perfectly as management wanted. When talking to employees about this they are demeaning and basically slap you on the wrist so to speak instead of having a respectful conversation about it. The building is huge and could be really nice but there are holes in the walls and ceiling everywhere and dead cockroaches. Overall just an annoying place to be when you genuinely want to make money and work for an interesting business but all the work you do is met with negativity.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to the VA's who are basically the backbone to the entire business.

"It's not worth it to work here"

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts full-time

Pros

The staff help each other out a lot, and it's nice to be around music.

Cons

The management is so frustrating to work with. They are incredibly disorganized, to the point that no matter how well you do at your job, it feels like you will never be able to improve anything. They can be shockingly disrespectful to their employees- outright yelling at them in front of people, and more. You will notice that they have a very high staff turnover, and I wish I had questioned this before I took a job there.

The pay was pretty low on top of that. This should be expected at a non-profit, but when your job makes you feel useless and degraded, there's just no incentive to stay.

"Do not work here if you value yourself as a human being"

Pros

There are no pros. I am just typing here because I can't submit this without filling out this section.

Cons

Management overworks staff, micromanages, yells at staff, and has no clue what they are doing. Management has also proven to be extremely sexist and rules with an iron fist. Do yourself a favor and do not even consider working here. Check the job openings on their website and you will see that they are frequently hiring for the same positions and there is a reason for this. No one in their right mind wants to stay. I would give zero stars if I could, but it won't let me.

"Hard work low pay"

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts part-time

Pros

Live music, beautiful building, nice people.

Cons

Low pay and strange scheduling. No wifi. Leadership seems disorganized and unhelpful. Good ideas but no concept of how to actually make things happen.

"Stay away- Not a good place to work"

Pros

Most of the staff are very friendly and supportive of each other. You get to sometimes hear interesting music and meet interesting people.

Cons

It is necessary for staff to be so supportive of each other in order to survive the extremely unorganized and dictatorship style of upper management. As many of the other reviews have rightly pointed out, management will frequently step in any time and micromanage. Management can be borderline abusive as I've seen employees yelled at to the point of tears. It is not surprising that there is such a high turnaround.

Advice to Management

Relinquish some control and get someone with a background in business to help manage and run it.

8. "All-around bad place to work"

Pros

They have some great musicians coming through, so you can set see some really good concerts for free. Also, there was a good supportive atmosphere among the employees (not including the management).

Cons

The place is unbelievably disorganized. Policies and procedures seem to change every day, but no problems actually gets fixed- they somehow get worse. The management has a really hard time delegating, so they micromanage every task and don't let you make the smallest judgement calls yourself. They can also be extremely disrespectful to employees and faculty, sometimes on a very personal level.

9. "Eclectic job with little respect"

Former Employee - Venue Assistant in Eugene, OR

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Varied work, good experience (if you have little work experience to start) in security, events support, food service, bar tending, front desk, and other things. GREAT JOB FOR A HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT if you don't mind working hard and getting sweaty sometimes. OK job for a college student. Terrible idea for a college graduate/someone who expects a little respect. Although I did see a few people (females) get promoted up from being a Venue Assistant

Cons

Don't provide scheduled breaks but if you ask they usually give it to you. Little respect for VA's, managers are nice people but live in fear of the owners (Jim and Ginevra) who seem OK but are a little high strung/pretentious. This trickles down to the VA's who get a lot of negative energy as a result. There seems to be no change in operation, even when beneficial change can be made. In the summer, you will be made to distribute posters in 90+ degree heat in pants and a sloppy polo shirt. In this case, "distribute" translates to "check on" IE you aren't actually doing anything most of the time besides walking around uselessly carrying a bag of posters. This is a good example of poor management - time could be spent more efficiently instead of paying me to walk around for no reason.

Really stale (literally and figuratively) atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Embrace change if possible

"If you enjoy feeling demeaned, feel free to work here"

Former Employee - Venue Assistant
    Former Employee - Venue Assistant

I worked at The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts part-time

Pros

Hearing the music through the doors...sometimes. There were two staff members that kept my sanity alive. I got an olcc license out of it.

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE. I second everything that has already been said on here. For a non-profit, they treat their employees like scum and the building is infested with God knows what that would always make my allergies flare up. The Executive Director is well known for yelling at staff and saying racist comments, homophobic comments, and you name it. You also get told how to do things by staff over and over again as if you don't know how to do simple tasks like putting stickers on envelopes (to be fair though, plenty of the staff telling you what to do are afraid of the Director too so they are too meticulous). The director also takes on responsibilities that shouldn't be his and he doesn't do well (programs often have simple grammatical/spelling errors). They also like moving you around to different tasks so you are never good at one particular task. My own explanation for this is a. the director is paranoid that his staff are out to get him and b. he enjoys yelling at them when they screw up. The list of madness goes on...

Advice to Management

Quit and replace yourselves with people that have compassion and respect for others