The Johns Hopkins Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
The Johns Hopkins Hospital President Ronald R. Peterson
Ronald R. Peterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Amazing People, Education Driven (in 24 reviews)

• You get a lot of opportunity to learn new skills and grow within the company (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No free parking and low pay rates (in 13 reviews)

• low pay and have to pay for parking (in 4 reviews)

1. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The learning opportunity and the quick advancements you can make with lots of support. Also a great resume builder.

Cons

Low pay rate compared to other hospitals

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their needs!

2. "Does Hopkins actually deserve Magnet recognition?"

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

JHH is a teaching facility and has a lot of resources to offer. Our unit is starting become the guinea pig of more cutting edge research, which is pretty cool. Up until recently we didn’t get to see most of this new technology but that is quickly changing. Even though most of the nursing staff is young (because of the constant, mass turnover) that makes the culture innovative, creative, and willing to help eachother. I know some places have the reputation that “nurses eating their young” but I have always appreciated how the senior nursing staff more has the attitude of “protecting their young.”

Cons

The pay is probably the lowest in the area. From 2017 to 2018 the nursing staff at Johns Hopkins got minimal raises and our medical insurance has changed so that we are now paying more out of pocket. Getting time off is a chore. I would say the medical staff is 50% horrid to nurses and 50% awesome, having more of a team approach to healthcare.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the amazing nursing talent you have. Pay them fairly, but even more importantly- treat them fairly. It seems like Human Resources talks about all these benefits they’re rolling out with, how its going to make everything so much better- when in reality there are so many other medical facilities that offer a better work/life balance with a more competitive salary and benefits package. Your status as one of the best hospitals in the country is already falling because you don’t protect what you already have.

3. "Pharmacy technician"

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time

Pros

I met some good people. I learned a lot. Diverse environment. Hopkins is well respected so it looks great on a resume.

Cons

Mandatory 16 hour shifts. All pharm techs are unionized, the union there is lazy(1199). The pay is low, raises are low. The shift differential is minuscule.

Advice to Management

Making your pharm techs work 16 hour shifts is not safe, it cause many medication errors.

4. "registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

large teaching hospital, high quality of nursing care

Cons

lots of patient volume, high acuity

5. "Thumbs up"

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job has given me a lot of opportunity to grow and develop leadership skills.
    Openings for higher level jobs seem consistent.
    Likes to keep talent within the organization.

Cons

Seems that JHH has been behind the curveball for salary in a lot of positions - paying lower than some competing companies. They are working toward higher transparency, but we have seen a lot of employees leave.
    Does not offer retirement savings match - will set you with 403b.

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefit, diverse culture, an opportunity for growth within the health system if that is what you're looking for in a career.

Cons

Upper management needs to listen to mid-level. At times, the workload gets too overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Listen to those who are out there making things happen and making the health system looks great. A little "thank you for what you do every day" goes a long way. The Hopkins culture of not showing appreciation is not in any way a good thing.

"Top Hospital and a Resume Booster"

Former Employee - Travel Nurse in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Travel Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Johns Hopkins on your resume will get you noticed elsewhere. You’ll see cases there unlike anywhere else except at maybe Mayo Clinic.

Cons

Pay is relatively lower compared to other area hospitals. Your pay cut is relative to the prestige of the hospital, so it’s your trade off for working at a top institution. Hopkins also has their own culture which is hard to explain, except to say that it strives to always be incomparable (ie, renaming common standards at other hospitals to make it look like their own creations).

Advice to Management

Treat RNs like gold, they are the backbone of your facility. Physicians are great but RNs are the gears that bring true breath to Hopkins. Nursing management should never forget their roots. Your empathy for floor nurses is needed in your leadership.

8. "ICU RN"

Former Employee - ICU RN
    Former Employee - ICU RN

Pros

Resume builder for the name, trying to create autonomy for nurses at an institution level, nurse residency program is well done, critical care classes are well done. My fellow nurses on the unit I worked on were easy to get along with. Plenty of committees to get involved in, and discussions about patient safety as a unit. Lots of resources such as UpToDate, CINAHL, Micromedex, and hospital protocols that are easily accessible.

Cons

Short staffed, compensation is lower than other hospitals, overworked. Can't say I've had a great experience with management (On one occasion, my manager tried to bully me into working more. When I announced my resignation on another occasion, there was an interrogation into why and that I had betrayed her trust because I wasn't going to work for her anymore...), and haven't heard great things about other critical care managers through friends who've worked for them.

Also, a newer evaluation model was introduced recently, where you are rated on a point scale, and for example, if you are the top 10% in your evaluation for that year, you might receive maybe a 3-3.5% raise. That would be if you are performing incredibly beyond your job expectations. You could also be performing beyond your job expectations, but because most of your coworkers are wonderfully skilled, you might still be only receiving a 1.7% raise because all the evaluations/raises are weighted against your coworkers. Pretty crappy raise for working really hard.

The health insurance options were not that great; I was on my spouse's employer's insurance plan, because it was cheaper and provided better options, from prenatal care/delivery, to copays to a PCP.

I really wished that they would put patient lifts in every room...

The monthly parking lot is a not cheap, and daily parking is also pretty expensive. If you want to park for free, you have to walk 10 minutes through not the greatest area, but then you are also compounding parking issues in the upper Fells neighborhood.

Advice to Management

There is a lot of room for improvement, and I am hoping the leadership changes at the top will create a more positive experience for future nurses to come.

Learn how to handle difficult feedback without taking it personally (I never made an opportunity to actually do this because it would not have been well received regardless of how professional it would have sounded).

Also, working a 40 hour week for inpatient RNs is unnecessary... Having everyone at 36 would make much more sense.

Pay more $$ to the nursing staff!

9. "Marketing"

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment, no shortage of work coming in, brand awareness

Cons

Conservative, slow moving change internally, difficult to pursue innovation

10. "Administrative Coordinator"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation, looks good on resume

Cons

Support staff, administrative etc, do not receive bonus...That's left for the "health professionals" as if your work isn't imperative to department productivity.

Pays less than other healthcare organizations. Benefits pricey too!

Advice to Management

Show same level of value for all staff. Inclusion is a key value correct?