The Johns Hopkins University Reviews
77% would recommend to a friend
(3398 total reviews)
Ronald J. Daniels
80% approve of CEO
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits are good and the hold it over you like it makes up for poor pay" (in 254 reviews)
- "Great people and the network is phenomenal." (in 166 reviews)
- "Great colleagues in nearly every area of biomedical and medical research" (in 76 reviews)
- "Great opportunities for formal and informal learning and education." (in 65 reviews)
- "Exciting research and flexible hours" (in 60 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of The Johns Hopkins University and is not affected by filters.
Found 3,398 of over 4K reviews
Updated Dec 6, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Dec 6, 2023IT AnalystFormer Employee, more than 5 yearsBaltimore, MD
- Great benefits: gym on campus, Hopkins healthcare - Freedom to pursue projects
- Not much oversight or personal growth planning
- 4.0Nov 24, 2023Sr. Medical Office CoordinatorFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsBaltimore, MD
Benefit package offered is awesome!
Very limited and expensive parking that is paid by employee, large campus and it’s unfortunate but there is so many “cliques” and you either “fit in to learn “ or you learn very quickly that “everyone can quickly be replaced”.
- 5.0Dec 6, 2023Research AssociateCurrent Employee, more than 3 yearsBaltimore, MD
Great working environment and supportive management. Good benefits.
Sometimes the hours can be a bit long, but that's to be expected for research
- 5.0Dec 5, 2023BiostatisticianCurrent EmployeeBaltimore, MD
Not too stressful, good work life balance, a good place to learn, tuition reimbursement
Pay in academia is often lower than what you get in industry
- 5.0Nov 29, 2023Research TechnicianFormer EmployeeBaltimore, MD
Great place to learn a lot and get opportunities you don't get elsewhere.
Severely underpays compared to public institutions.
- 3.0Dec 4, 2023Adjunct LecturerCurrent Employee, more than 5 years
Good pay (although increases are few and far between)
Not eligible for many benefits if you’re only teaching 1 or two classes.
- 4.0Nov 2, 2023Research AssociateCurrent EmployeeBaltimore, MD
Constantly around great scholars who are eager to bring others into their work. You also get access to institutional knowledge and support that assists in publishing papers and doing impactful work.
Academia is prone to underpaying employees. It feels worth it when contributing to a team that you enjoy being with and when you have a meaningful mentor. Unfortunately, not everyone enjoys the teams they join, some expect long hours from employees, and sometimes the bureaucracy from the university becomes overburdensome.
The Johns Hopkins University Reviews FAQs
The Johns Hopkins University has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 3,677 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at The Johns Hopkins University to a friend and 68% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
77% of The Johns Hopkins University employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated The Johns Hopkins University 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 3.9 for career opportunities.