KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Joint Commission Reviews

Updated Dec 7, 2021

Found 91 of over 101 reviews

3.3
The Joint Commission President Mark R. Chassin (no image)
Mark R. Chassin
Pros
  • "Great benefits, many holidays, and decent pay(in 11 reviews)

• "Good work life balance, great benefits, growth for the first 2 years(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Can be professionally isolating because Joint Commission employees don't have natural peer groups(in 5 reviews)

• "The compensation is fair but could be a little more given the road warrior life style Field Surveyors live(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The Joint Commission and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

I loved working here

Dec 5, 2021 - Senior Secretary
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, many holidays, and decent pay. They support professional development.

Cons

A few toxic managers were allowed to stay. For a few years I was subjected to that, until I moved within the company at a pay cut.

2. 4.0

good company

Dec 7, 2021 - Surveyor in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

some concern shown for traveling staff, decent benefits.

Cons

more talk the talk than walk the walk regarding concerns regarding traveling to covid spots, they encourage us to use our personal phone for business and do not reimburse us. Too much emphasis on top down vs 2 way communication. little input by surveyor staff about problems with standards . work part time requires a lot more time than is reimbursed ( emails, online training, meetings)

3. 3.0

Okay... Definitely Pros and Cons

Aug 17, 2021 - Project Director in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can make a positive difference in the healthcare industry Good benefits including vacation, personal days, and sick days Remote work opportunity after a few months on the job Enclosed parking and onsite cafeteria (although not cheap) Colleagues are knowledgeable and very professional to work with

Cons

Very little room for career growth The nurses writing the standards get very little recognition Extremely top down and hierarchal. Can slow down the system considerably Too many linear steps in the process, not streamlined enough Only top leaders get offices, the rest of us are in cubicles with nothing separating you from noise and distractions Nurse leaders can likely make more money elsewhere

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0

PTSD Is a Way of Life Here

Aug 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The paychecks came on time. Useful for name recognition but little else. Ample parking, I suppose.

Cons

Where do I even begin? First off, if you expect to advance...don't. Not even if you have years of evaluations saying that you "Far Exceed" expectations. Understand that the second you inquire about upward mobility, the switch will flip and there will be an active, consistent, and deliberate effort to ruin your career and your mental status. Retaliation for management comes as naturally as breathing and the only way out is to quit. I actually came across the nearly 2 inch thick packet of evidence I provided to HR on my way out and realized that I had more than enough fodder for quite the lawsuit. I knew it was bad and things hadn't changed when the employee who replaced me after I quit tracked me down online, invited me to lunch, and broke down sobbing because of the abuse she'd encountered on a daily basis. Can you imagine??? The people in leadership are sociopaths. They don't care about patients or their safety. They are only concerned with their "power" over others.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Overall Good Company

Aug 10, 2021 - Senior Account Executive in Oakbrook Ter, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall a good company to work for. The benefits are really good in terms of PTO, 401K and there's even a company pension program. PTO increases with years of service. Health insurance is a bit expensive, but I believe it's comparable to other companies overall.

Cons

No room for growth. People in leadership/management positions tend to stay for a very long time in their roles so there's very little room for growth. Pay is below average compared to other companies.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 3.0

Gain Experience and Move On

Sep 24, 2021 - ACO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Prominent presence in healthcare; Generous Vacation Time and Paid Holidays; Work from home

Cons

Opportunity for advancement inconsistent; Culture can be stifling at times; Decision making title driven, rather than knowledge based; Barriers to open line of communication with human resources and departmental/division leadership other than immediate supervisor

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0

what a joke

Jul 22, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

you get a paycheck and some benefits

Cons

Hard to believe there are this many 5 star reviews on glassdoor for this company. It makes me think someone in the organization is trying to compensate for all of the truthful 1 star reviews and are stacking the deck. There is so much wrong with this organization I don't even know where to start. I feel like I still have PTSD from my time spent there. The most prolific issue is the horrible, horrible leadership and a highly toxic culture that rewards people who put up with bad practices and punishes anyone who speaks the truth or tries to do the right thing. If you want to keep your head down, just do what someone tells you to without ever questioning the validity or value of what you are asked to do, and have the highlight of your day be pushing the off button on your computer, then The Joint Commission is for you!

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Interesting blend of corporate and non-profit

Jul 15, 2021 - Senior Manager in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Mission driven organization with passionate leaders. Lots of resources for development. Employee-centric culture.

Cons

Limited opportunities for growth without clinical experience.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great Place

Jun 23, 2021 - Accounts Payable in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Place to work, great bosses

Cons

I don't have any to share

10. 5.0

Great Culture

Jun 22, 2021 - Field Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Open and caring communication from top down

Cons

Poor Compensation fir time required

Viewing 1 - 10 of 91 Reviews