The Joint Commission Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Mark R. Chassin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The organization is focused on creating a positive work-life balance for their employees (in 5 reviews)

• Enjoy the work life balance, great benefits, managers care about you and your career (in 7 reviews)

Cons

"God help you if you're not a "chosen one"...because no one else will."

I have been working at The Joint Commission full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Easily identifiable name, prestigious organization
    -Good benefits
    -Decent salary and perks

Cons

-Blatant favoritism between leadership and staff
    -Bullying and intimidation is a way of life, despite their written "Safety Culture" list
    -No chance for upward mobility if you're not a favorite, and expect to be sabotaged if you try to advance

Advice to Management

I have no advice for upper management because they're the fundamental problem with this organization. My advice to the president is to take a long hard look at your leadership and ask if these are the types of people that will bring in staff that's excited to carry on the mission of the org.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time

Pros

Back stabbing working environment. It don't matter what you know there, It is who you know.

Cons

Lean Six Sigma is a joke there! IT leadership can't be trusted.

Advice to Management

Stop using the word "World Class" which you will never be.

"13 year employee at Oak Brook Terrace Headquarters."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits were great. The company mission made me proud to work there and I felt good about the work that I was doing in the early years that I was there.

Cons

Management plays favorites. Management in the HR department made biased decisions based on personal opinions, often disregarding company policy, which were often changed to fit the needs of the moment. New job descriptions were created to fit favored candidates or to prevent qualified candidates from being promoted. Felt more like a high school cafeteria than a professional atmosphere. There was a lack of communication between levels of management.

Advice to Management

None. Management is not interested in any advice. They have their own way of doing things and that will never change.

"Good benefits, worst culture experienced so far"

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time

Pros

Good benefits, steady paycheck, and a place to have on your resume. Great name recognition within the healthcare industry. Now I'm just stretching the pros section to reach the suggested minimum.

Cons

Low morale workforce, toxic culture, heavy favoritism by management, zero trust. High turnover (over a quarter in my department left in the same year). Exit interview consisted of a director reminding me just how many healthcare professionals she talks to in the field as a way to express intimidation.

Advice to Management

Consultants utilized to bring about culture change were hardly effective.

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Health benefits, good location with parking garage

Cons

Extremely poor management, co-workers who work hard and are committed to the job are not appreciated! Management lets certain employees micro manage the department which fosters a very poor environment. Constant turnover; human resources does not try to make change for the better after many employees have spoken up at exit interviews.

Advice to Management

Open up your eyes to what changes need to be made and make them!

"Don't Even Think About it!"

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time

Pros

Name recognition and there are some good people who work there, who are professional, bright and they try.

Cons

Very high turnover....one day people are there, the next day they are gone. Communication from management is minimal at best. They decentralized everyone, but are very poor about communicating important information. They don't practice what they preach, and there are cliques....They don't follow their own policies and play favorites.

"reckless HR department"

I worked at The Joint Commission full-time

Pros

great mission, nice people and a chance to contribute to society

Cons

Human Resources does not support the staff

Advice to Management

"encourage" new management in HR

"Strange Corporate Culture"

Pros

Onsite cafeteria, parking garage. Good benefits.

Cons

Very strange culture here. I've worked many places over the years and have never experienced such unfriendly co-workers and a less collaborative environment. Some people are quite nice but as a whole, I would say morale is low and people are frustrated and unhappy. I didn't stay long enough to really understand it, but there seems to be cliques and I felt like people were always talking behind my back and jockeying for position. . .I left because I didn't want to re-live high-school. They are dinosaurs in technology and their IT dept. is a nightmare. Everything is done with paper instead of on-line.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. I think people feel like bad stuff is always happening and they are waiting for a bomb to drop. Your HR Department needs major revamping!

"Poor Leadership in the IT Dept"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at The Joint Commission (Less than a year)

Pros

Newly renovated Offices, training classes

Cons

Negative culture and poor management in IT

"One star ONLY because of benefits"

Current Employee - Researcher in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Researcher in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at The Joint Commission full-time

Pros

Being able to work from home and overall benefits are okay, but not enough to keep anyone happy.

Cons

Management and leadership is terrible. Work place abuse and bullying. Top down decision making. They hire very smart people and keep them in a box. If you are of color, there are even less opportunities. People are intentionally given opportunities that put them in places for advancements. These opportunists are not given fairly. There is a lot of disrespect and cutting people off. If you cannot distance yourself from your work, this will affect all other areas of your life including your health and wellbeing.
    HR is useless! No one will protect you. They talk about a safety culture and it appears that way on the outside. But that is not true. Bullies in management and leadership are protected (as if they need it!)
    Projects are a joke! If you are a leader in your field, do not work at The Joint Commission. You will be extremely disappointed. If you are not progressive and just want to go to work and not make a difference or be heard, then this is the place for you.
    Completely disappointed and I am very forgiving but the behavior I have witnessed and have been a victim of is completely unexceptable.

Advice to Management

Although I know I am wasting my breath, be fair and be of equal opportunity. Stop being bullies. This is not 7th grade. People come to work to contribute to society. You are inhibiting most people. Stop giving false hope and tell people how it really is. Allow staff to contribute to decision making. Stop giving the appearance that that is what is happening.