The Learning Experience Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
The Learning Experience CEO Richard Weissman
Richard Weissman

Pros
Cons
  • There is a high turnover rate in this career industry for the most part (in 5 reviews)

• She is money hungry, does not care about any of the kids, parents, or her employees (in 5 reviews)

1. "Lead Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at The Learning Experience full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the kids and parents. The staff works as a team when issues come up and we have fun. I've been here for about 8 months and I love it so far. it's a tough business and management seems to be as flexible on scheduling as they can be.

Cons

Sometimes parents are hard to please, but I have been able to find my way. Management and other staff seem to be very helpful when I ask questions.
    Some other staff members don't seem to care so much, I wonder why they just don't quit if they are unhappy. They rather just complain and make other people unhappy.

Advice to Management

Try to spend more time getting to know staff. Management has an open door policy but some people need to be approached.

"Lead Teacher"

I worked at The Learning Experience full-time

Pros

There are great tools such as smart board.

Cons

The pay really depends on the facility.
    Everything is so corporate.
    Their curriculum is ridiculously below age appropriate.

Advice to Management

Keep the drama to a minimum.

3. "Director"

I have been working at The Learning Experience full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extensive curriculum.
    Beautiful schools.

Cons

No room for growth.
    Franchised centers allow owners to make up their own rules, they do not follow corporate.
    Salary is very low and almost never changes.
    Owners take advantage of the directors put them on a small salary, not even enough to live, and then force them to work 9 - 10 hours every day.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing franchisee owners to run business' with no background in childcare. This allows for a messy environment.

5. "STAY AWAY!"

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Newtown, CT
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Newtown, CT

I worked at The Learning Experience full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Kids, co-workers, parents and facilities.

Cons

Don't work here and don't send your children here. The director will let other children abuse your children. It's a revolving door of teachers, constant turnover. The children are constantly moved around, very inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Should be fired. Lets children abuse others.

"Kids only"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

Pros

The children are the best part of the job

Cons

Corp management is overrated and most are not college educated.

7. "Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Edison, NJ

I worked at The Learning Experience full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Adorable kids
    Nice families for the most part
    Fellow teachers were great (minus one horrible woman)

Cons

Horrible management that lied and just covered for each other
    Money hungry owners
    Horrible pay
    Limited supplies
    Enormous staff turnover
    Ratios broken often

Advice to Management

Start paying your employees a decent wage if you want quality educated people to stay! The turnover at the Edison location in NJ is awful. The parents are even starting to question teachers about the absence of other teachers. Don't allow one specific teacher to bully others and avoid her own classroom because she's power hungry. She is driving your staff away! (Her room's turnover is the highest). Don't make promises you have no intent on keeping! I was promised a raise and never received one or a single review.

Ratios in your classrooms are broken often or children are shuffled out of their own class into another due to the lack of staff on site. When accidents occur in a room over ratio staff members are asked to lie on the forms! Parents would not be happy if they knew truth. Classrooms are packed way over fire code capacity. On occasion some infants don't even have their own crib but all parents are promised one. Many state laws are broken! Fire drills occur maybe one every 3 months. I was there way over 6 months and didn't see one lock down drill. Staff are often told it is ok to take an entire class outside alone with no other adult outside (which is against state law).

Management often does not come help when called in the event of broken ratios, lunch break relief, accidents, and more.

Teachers often end up spending their own money on supplies because when asked for they rarely get what is needed.

If you're looking to apply here I strongly suggest choosing another early learning center like Goddard or Lightbridge. The pay is way better and there is far less drama.

8. "Assistant teacher"

Pros

Clean, safe environment. Cute kids.

Cons

Assistant teachers have to switch around to different age groups as needed. They should have teachers stick to one classroom.

"Dont be fooled by new center!"

I worked at The Learning Experience full-time

Pros

Great curriculum; teach kids 2nd language...Mandarin/Spanish; hours;

Cons

staff turn over; unqualified staff; lack of material/supplies; all focused on money!

Advice to Management

Pay staff more so you get quality staff, not first time teachers. stop sending employees home early and compromise quality by combining.

"Just a bad place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at The Learning Experience (More than a year)

Pros

Some co-workers. The children and parents who trusted us to care for them.

Cons

Management and owners.
    $$ is the bottom line at the expense of all else. They sent home full-time workers before their shift was over regularly to save money. They didn't care about staffing ratios and had us work over ratio on a daily basis. I worked there over a year. I was lied to about pay, raises and hours (as were most of us).
    The director would not pay time and a half for hours worked over 40 in a week- as is the law. Also, she changed my timecard more than once- reducing hours I was paid. I was also never paid my final check for cleaning (they had a company come in once a month to save money. Instead, they underpaid staff to do the daily building cleaning.)

Advice to Management

Have some child care business experience, or at least have experience owning a business before opening a franchise. Consult with labor lawyers before making up rules on how you are going to pay staff- just to make sure you aren't breaking the law.

11. "Pass"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Englewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Englewood, NJ

Pros

The learning, equipment, supplies, room decor and atmosphere, some workers, cleaning system

Cons

Low pay. 10-12 an hour to teach children? Nearly 20 a shirt if you wish to order more work supplies? A catering company that doesn't give enough food to the children? A meal of meatballs and peas? Macaroni and cheese with no other sides and the cheese comes from a nacho cheese jar? Ripped mats, drama, a loud and rude director who talks down to parents, and teachers who talk shrill to children. I was in and out within 2-3 months. Certain instructors such as a baby room lady Nataly, sweet and nice. Very concern for kids and baby. Preschool teacher randy? Big smile. Absolute energy and Happyness for children . Also to Coleen to children . Very smart and thorough.

Advice to Management

Help your employees, don't add to them extra stress, stop interrupting class time by calling the rooms every minute to ask question after question. Stop allowing late drop offs.