The Learning House Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Zipper

Pros
  • Being at 4th street does not hurt either (in 5 reviews)

• Being located on Fourth Street Live is a great plus (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You're likely going to be stuck in a call center of some form for years before you move up or out (in 4 reviews)

• Parent company (Weld North) is oblivious to how operations are being ran (in 4 reviews)

1. "Success Coach"

Former Employee - Success Coach in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Success Coach in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities to grow professionally and personally.
     - The executive team is committed to listening to employees and encourages employees to grow personally. They don't see employee success as a zero-sum game. A win for the employee is a win for the company.
     - Supportive atmosphere and encouraging teammates.
     - Supportive HR department committed to listening to employees.
     - A mission that employees can believe in, "We help people improve their lies through education."

Cons

- Team goals shift without follow up or follow through from leadership.
     - Strategy to hit goals is sometimes not communicated clearly to each team.

Advice to Management

- Follow up on department goals.
     - Communicate a clear, consistent strategy throughout the department to each team.

"They're Trying - Sometimes"

Current Employee - Not Enrollment in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Not Enrollment in Remote, OR

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's a lot of bad reviews on this site. Most of them portray us in a pretty bad light. To be honest, it's the experience you're going to get in a mid-sized cubicle farm. It's fine. Get over it.

If you find yourself in the right position, you can work on some really interesting stuff on the front end of education. PTO is fine (could be more) and benefits just got a big upgrade in terms of insurance.

I know this isn't everybody's experience, but I do feel like my specific leaders listen to me, and work to empower me. As for other teams in the company, our partnership team (for as overwhelmed as they always are) seems to be open to ideas so long as you're willing to do the heavy lifting and it doesn't completely upset the apple cart.

I would also point out that, having seen the back of the house in most areas of our company, there are people within each department that truly believe in what we want to do or truly care.

Cons

The experience I shared above? You have to move up the ranks to get there and there isn't a lot of room for growth. You're likely going to be stuck in a call center of some form for years before you move up or out. To be fair, nobody likes a top-heavy company but I do feel like progress is slow and that many of our managers take on too much, which they could easily delegate.

You should also be aware that, as with every company, there are fiefdoms and rivalries. My manager yesterday basically had me withhold information from another team so we could sit back and watch them fail. That annoys me, I'd rather solve the problem and move on but this person has spent a lot of time and effort building their sphere of influence and it's pretty clear that they view the other team as a threat.

You could pay us more too - for the value we generate. If you can't do that, I'd love to see what our leadership team makes so you can justify it. I make more than most and I still make on the bottom end of the salary range for my position.

Advice to Management

I'd either cull some of our more combative leaders in middle management or strip out some of their roles in order to diminish their influence. Additionally, I'd promote creating cross departmental teams to solve real problems from the bottom (none of this saccharine fire-watchers nonsense).

Let your bottom drive, put your leaders in a position to remove impediments and suddenly everybody will feel as though they have play and purpose like you claim to want.

Jun 5, 2017 – Vice President, HR

Thanks for your feedback. We are working to better define paths for growth, and we would appreciate your suggestions on how to make that process better. It’s disappointing to hear your experiences ... More

3. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Transcripts in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Transcripts in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Terrific culture. The company gives its employees various opportunities for individual growth, including tuition assistance. Flexible and accommodating regarding scheduling. Managers were nice to work with, approachable, and fair. Fellow employees were quick to encourage and support one another.

Cons

The insurance wasn't accepted at some of the physicians that my family went to.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 22, 2017 – VP of Enrollment

We appreciate the feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It is encouraging to hear your experience aligned with our mission. We have received feedback on the insurance ... More

"Not ideal for passionate people"

Former Employee - Student Success Coach in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Student Success Coach in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good stepping stone job if you're trying to break into an actual higher ed administration position

Cons

Pitched as a way to help people go to school and better their lives, but in reality it's just mindless call-center behavior with arbitrary goals that supersede student needs.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your staff's morale - it's a structural issue, not solved easily by fun events. It's dishonest to advertise a job as being based on relationship building when in reality the position will involve calling and emailing around 200 students every week.

5. "Enrollment Counselor"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

never boring, engaging, supportive management, ability to work from home, supportive coworkers, ability to move up and grow.

Cons

Lots of changes happen at once at times

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Open and transparent communication are so important. Thank you for being transparent and dealing with negativity with dignity and pride. We appreciate everything you do. If you are looking for a job at The Learning House, it's a wonderful and supportive place to work.

May 11, 2017 – VP of Enrollment

Thank you for the review and the encouragement. We do work in a fast paced and changing industry. Thank you for working through changes with us. If you have any additional ideas on ways to support ... More

6. "Great team"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have great flexibility in work at home options in emergencies. Paid time off is also really great and encourged to be taken.

Cons

The work load is very high and a lot is expected of the employees. Taking a day off is stressful when you come back to tons of work.

Advice to Management

Better training for new employees

May 5, 2017 – Vice President, HR

Thank you for the review and advice. Based on feedback about training, we have completely updated our new hire training to ensure standardization and quality, and we spend more time on getting new ... More

"Enrollment Counselor"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at The Learning House full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE, well maybe free food at the million pot lucks they have. Currently seeking new employment and can't wait to get out of here!

Cons

Watch your weight. Everyone is morbidly obese because all they want to do is feed you junk food. The one good manager quit to work at a better company and he used to provide free pizza but since he left no more free pizza! The Manager that is still here told a few employees that they "suck" and do not deserve to be appreciated! She empties her desk drawer occasionally and gives away her "diet bars" as a small token of appreciation. She has an awful fake attitude and appreciates no one!! Then they give u this terrible health Insurance that covers nothing and make you take all these health tests. If you fail the tests your health Insurance costs go up $50 a pay!!!! They want to save money so now they're moving to a location far away that caters to the horrible management!! I can't even believe this place!! Employees are dropping like flies!! Getting fired or finding new jobs! Someone said it before, this location is getting shut down and this is the beginning of it! Now they are making their employees drive miles out of the way so they can save a few bucks. This company must really be hurting for money! So sad! Enough said! No wonder they are downsizing, they have numerous previous employees suing them for wrongful termination. The entire management team of the company doesn't care about any of the employees! They only care about the guy running this place and his million dollar house and plane costs so he can fly from his house in New York to Kentucky 3-5 times a week! That's where the money for the company is going! To his airfare costs! What kind of owner doesn't even reside in the state of the company he runs??? Too good for the southern states much? SMH! What a shame!!

Advice to Management

Get a degree! Get some coaching skills! Give some respect! Oh wait, since the location has moved the managers have been demoted and their management positions have been given to the managers at the corporate office in Kentucky. Gee, I wonder why? Poor management skills? Yes I would assume so. That is why the enrollment managers have been demoted and their positions are now being run remotely from the corporate office. Seems like that's a huge problem! Let's demote the onsite managers and give all the management duties to a remote location thousands of miles away! Looks like they wised up and got rid of the awful management team in Harrisburg. That so called "mean girl" is still there though. She is the main manager's puppet. Now her role is to analyze everyone's work even more. Meaning she is ready to help fire more people! All she does all day is monitor calls and accounts so she can report back to her Geppetto and they can plot lies and fire more good, hard working employees. Don't bother with this company! Go work for a real company that really cares about their employees and students! Another thing that I find funny. After all the recent bad reviews of this company they have their employees creating "good reviews" to try to offset the bad reviews. Don't believe anything you see of their lies! There is nothing good that comes out of this company!

May 30, 2017 – VP of Enrollment

I can tell that you are upset and angry, and it’s unfortunate that you have made some incorrect assumptions without knowing all of the facts. We always strive to treat people respectfully and be ... More

"Counselor"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code and coworkers

Cons

Management, micromanaging, pay, benefits, and teachers pets

Advice to Management

You have mangers that do nothing except look for ways to write up employees. It's not about their work. It's about "mean girls" trying to be bullies. The one mean girl is gone! That's good news for the remaining staff at TLC. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work there!

Jun 1, 2017 – VP of Enrollment

I am sorry you had a poor experience with us. We want to make sure we’re always improving, and I’d like to hear from you to learn more. Please reach out if you feel comfortable.

9. "Desktop Support"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Analyst in Louisville, KY

I worked at The Learning House full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid Time Off is an option

Cons

No upward mobility in the company

"Stay Away!"

Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Enrollment Counselor in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at The Learning House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code in Harrisburg office.

Cons

The Harrisburg office is run by a group of "mean girls." There is a lot of "big fish, small pond" mentality. The Concordia-St. Paul management team has built an atmosphere of distrust and fear, rather than following the company designed "colors" to encourage team growth. If you accept a job here, be prepared to watch your back.

Advice to Management

Fire the Harrisburg management team. Fire the CSP enrollment team managers.

May 5, 2017 – Vice President, HR

That sounds like a tough time and I am sorry you had a negative experience. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your experiences. We do not tolerate our leaders or employees ... More