The Learning Lab "working environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Learning Lab Employee Reviews about "working environment"

Updated Apr 6, 2019

3.3
The Learning Lab CEO Hamilton Lau (no image)
Hamilton Lau
Cons

Reviews about "working environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Great teaching experience"

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

The company provides various workshops to train newcomers, curriculum teams are willing to openly consider teachers' opinions, nice working environment overall.

Cons

Last minute covers can be rather stressful.

The Learning Lab2015-07-29

"Intern"

I worked at The Learning Lab

Pros

Good pay compared to other student intern jobs in Singapore. Nice working environment, everything is well designed and clean Most students are courteous and fun to be around. Managers are welcoming and approachable. Young workforce.

Cons

Front desk work and managing relationship with parents can be stressful. Expect to get screamed at alot. As it is in the service industry, expect to work on either Saturday or Sunday.

Advice to Management

Get more feedback on the ground and listen to the people on the ground more.

The Learning Lab2013-04-04
  3. "Worked at smaller branch"

I worked at The Learning Lab part-time

Pros

- friendly and helpful colleagues - free snacks in pantry - peaceful work environment

Cons

- not much career progression - uses slow outdated systems however wants work to be done quick

The Learning Lab2019-04-06

"Good working experience"

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Friendly colleagues; everyone gets along pretty well (in many cases: colleagues –turned –friends, because you go through both good and rough times together at work) -Conducive work environment -Good starting pay -Job stability, especially for those who are looking to settle down

Cons

-Limited career progression -Lack of clarity on company SOPs sometimes as the company is still growing and maturing (it’s improving though - good effort by management to ensure consistent and open communication)

Advice to Management

Don't stop investing in your employees.

The Learning Lab2019-03-12

"Positive Experience"

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Friendly and collaborative culture Colleagues are out to help one another to win and achieve milestones in class and out of class Pleasant working environment Fresh out of school and the seniors and mentors here have been nothing short of helpful

Cons

Hotdesking for teachers Steep learning curve - expected to take the same number of classes as a senior Ts

The Learning Lab2019-03-01

"Great Working Environment and Colleagues"

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Culture and colleagues were great. Spent one of the best times working with everyone who didn't mind working hard and collaboratively carried out multiple projects. It was much more like family than a working environment.

Cons

Nothing much to complain about while I was there.

The Learning Lab2019-02-21

"Enjoyable and rewarding"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

I would recommend working here as a teacher if you enjoy working with children or teenagers. It is extremely rewarding to see your students blossom and come to love the subject you are teaching, especially when some of them first start dreading the subject due to previous experiences. Parents can be very appreciative, especially when they notice that their children enjoy coming to class and know that they are in... good hands. It is a female dominated environment though I have seen more male teachers recently. The workplace is filled with friendly and supportive colleagues whom I can turn to anytime I need help. When I first started teaching, I found the learning curve steep and had difficulty managing time, due to the amount of marking I had to do and the amount of detail I had to go into for each piece. My mentor and senior colleagues gave me many tips and shared their resources with me especially when I was time pressed. For that, I am extremely thankful. The camaraderie makes the work environment a rather pleasant one. The curriculum unit is an amazing bunch and the work that they produce is, in my opinion, unparalleled. They work late into the night researching and coming up with material that is both academically important and intriguing for the students. I do not think my teaching would have as much impact without the outstanding curriculum that is used for the students. Nothing quite beats a child's eyes lighting up when they learn about another culture or become interested in a book they would have never touched if not for the introduction through the curriculum. This year, I have seen the introduction of more training sessions which my colleagues and I appreciate and hope to see more of this in 2019.

Cons

Those thinking that this job would be a walk in the park would be disappointed. The company sets rather high expectations for teachers to meet and the first year is especially challenging. After that, with experience, it gets better and more rewarding. As with most reviews, working both days on the weekend can be draining. Saturday nights are spent preparing for Sunday classes. On Sunday nights, one would often... be far too tired to socialise or make other plans. This is challenging for colleagues who are younger and want to spend more time with friends. It is just as difficult for colleagues who are parents as family time during the weekend would be minimised.

The Learning Lab2018-12-04

"Intellectually stimulating and lots of camaraderie but inflexible schedule"

Current Employee - Teaching Specialist in Bukit Timah, Central

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

-good if you enjoy working with young people -you get as much out of the job as you put in -you can be as social or as solitary as you like -female-dominated working environment -great hours and going to work at 11AM or later often make up for lack of flexibility -colleagues are passionate about helping students -(for secondary school tutors) you get a chance to be creative and have the freedom to engage... students and get them interested in political and social issues -you can feel like you are making a difference in students' lives -heads of department and fellow teachers are very understanding of teachers' concerns

Cons

-May be difficult to adapt to 9-5 desk job after this job -leave can be difficult to obtain -If you teach secondary school students, may be asked to assist in kindergarten classes which they do not tell you in the job description -last minute covers -have to give up part of your weekend -

Advice to Management

-more flexibility when it comes to working hours -focus a bit more on staff welfare and happiness over clients

The Learning Lab2018-10-11
  9. "Good experience"

I have been working at The Learning Lab full-time

Pros

Attractive remuneration, nice working environment

Cons

inflexible schedule as having to work on weekends

The Learning Lab2018-10-22

"To fresh grads: here are the pros and cons"

Former Employee - Specialist Teaching Associate

I worked at The Learning Lab full-time for more than a year

Pros

- nice working environment with friendly and usually friendly colleagues (depending on what subject you teach) - flexible working hours and schedule - enjoyable work (if you like teaching/interacting with children) - great pay

Cons

- affects social life as you work many late nights / weekends - management does not value employees, who are replaceable despite the fact that it takes about a year to settle in and become strong in teaching content. However management is becoming increasingly demanding with each new batch of teachers. For example they’ve added a new one year bond (you cannot quit within this time) and a new requirement to work both... weekends instead of one, for new teachers entering in 2017, for the SAME pay as their contemporaries who joined in 2016 and before. There’s little use trying to bargain with management as they’d rather hire new and more willing teachers to replace you. High turnover rate. - stress from last minute covers / demanding parents / high marking load especially for graduating classes / upper levels.

Advice to Management

Do consider the well-being of the children who are paying such exorbitant prices.

The Learning Lab2017-10-04