The Little Gym Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Ruk Adams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you love working with kids this is the place for you (in 18 reviews)

• Working with children, building relationships, variety of work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I was hired as a Full-Time employee and got Part-Time hours (in 9 reviews)

• No benefits at all, not even for the full timers (in 6 reviews)

1. "Rewarding Career"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at The Little Gym full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding work, changing children's lives. Building relationships with parents and kids. Somewhat flexible scheduling, depending on the position. Competitive pay. Always challenging.

Cons

Long days and hours at peak times. Can be stressful at times, between teaching and doing the other parts of the director role.

Advice to Management

Take good care of the team members. Their job is far more than just teaching classes.

2. "Fun job but no HR means owners make their own rules"

Former Employee - Instructor in Tustin, CA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Tustin, CA

I worked at The Little Gym part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids are cute! Classes are pretty easy to teach and step by step instructions are provided for easy understanding.

Cons

No lunch breaks (even on shifts that require them), no overtime pay. Small business means few employees, which means demanding schedules and no sick days allowed

3. "political and secretive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at The Little Gym full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission of the company, most coworkers are really excited and nice people to work with, franchise owners and staff are great people. Generous time off and good health benefits.

Cons

Job was different than what was explained when I interviewed. People are expected to put in alot of extra time on there own time and do work of many people because they are understaffed. Always seems to be a secret or conflict. Alot of people getting promotions because of relationships not because of performance. Upper management brags about being a family but culture can actually be really cut throat and has lots of hidden agendas. People often get in trouble for haveing an opinion. New things that are shared have a "spin" to them like something is being hidden or not right.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Find ways to help people grow and for everyone not just the favorites. Many people at corporate are really talented but held back for personal reasons. Not fair and causes a lot of good people to leave. Pay people what their worth.

4. "A great place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at The Little Gym full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are given a lot of room to find your best manager, leader and inspirational teacher.

Cons

There is a lack of management from the owners. One of the owners is less professional than I would have preferred.

Advice to Management

You would retain your top talent better if you focused on ways to make this a career path. Perhaps offer retirement plans, growth plans, etc. Additionally, be more mindful of your communication style with female employees. There were many uncomfortable lines crossed.

5. "Great place to work"

I worked at The Little Gym part-time

Pros

Nice place to work for a while.

Cons

Time is something that you have to manage.

6. "Gym Director"

Former Employee - Gym Director
    Former Employee - Gym Director

I worked at The Little Gym full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great business with a wonderful goal of teaching kids in a non-competitive fun way! Great exercise while you work! Lots of experience gained in administration, customer service, and management.

Cons

Very long non-traditional hours. Physically tiring and difficult. Not necessarily a "career" - no retirement plan, maternity leave, little time off.

7. "Fun for a part-time job, but not long term"

I worked at The Little Gym part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its very fun and great to bond with the students and parents.

Cons

Employees are in charge of EVERYTHING. Cleaning duties, clerical work, instructing classes, dealing with customer complaints, and training new hires. We practically ran the business instead of the manager (who was hardly there) and we made minimum wage. There is no moving up or potential for full time employment.

Advice to Management

Have a strong manager instead of having the minimum wage employees running the business.

8. "Alright for a part time job during college"

Current Employee - Instructor in Westborough, MA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Westborough, MA

I have been working at The Little Gym part-time

Pros

- You get to work with kids, which is great! Especially if you're going to work with kids in the future. I hope to work with preschool aged kids when I graduate, so this was perfect as I mostly worked with 3-4 year olds

- You get to learn new skills, especially if you don't have a gymnastics or dance background. It's fun to try the skills the kids are learning each week.

- The hours are flexible. The gym's open til 7:30 some nights so you can fit in a shift after school, and open on weekends.

- Comfortable work clothes. A shirt is given to you and you can wear shorts or yoga pants

Cons

- Trying to get time off SUCKS. You're at the mercy of your co-workers, and finding coverage for weekends is really hard. The boss doesn't care why you need time off, it's hard to get him to help you. But he's also helped his favorite employee, which makes it not fun. Even if you're sick and you try to call out, he will pressure you to come in and work anyway, which is bad for you being sick, and all the kids you're then exposing to your germs.

- No benefits at all, not even for the full timers.

- The training's poor, you have to read through a textbook online and watch some videos, and then participate in a bunch of classes until you get the hang of it. The boss doesn't skill check you to make sure you know the skills you're supposed to teach, and it's hard to ask for help.

- Boss isn't really approachable. He thinks he is, but most of the girls and I disagree. He gets mad if you make a mistake (and I never try to make mistakes, but they happen), and he's really intimidating. He's not receptive at all to feedback; he can give constructive criticism but can't take it. If he decides he doesn't like you, or you're not his favorite staff person, then he won't value your opinion. He'll also try to blame corporate than admit any fault to anything.
    His wife owns the gym with him and she is more approachable but hardly ever there.

- Classes get very repetitive. If you're teaching the 3 year old gymnastics class three times a week, then you're teaching the same lesson three times a week. There's a solid routine in the classes (warm up, group activity, stations, game), which is good for kids, but gets very boring doing it several times a week, every week (although the activities change each week, but generally the same).

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff. Stop assuming you know best, because there's a lot of issues, and a lot of us aren't comfortable speaking up about them. You could have staff much happier if you showed a little more respect. A birthday cake is great, but I'd rather feel valued at work.

9. "A great starting job, a great job that can grow if you love working with kids too!"

I have been working at The Little Gym part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- They try to be as flexible as they can to your schedule
    - Hours that are not really early or really late
    - Fellow staff is very nice and fun
    - Family like atmosphere with staff and families
    - not minimum wage
    - Paid training and you also get paid for time used to prepare for classes

Cons

- Some people come in thinking the job is easy when really, it isn't THAT easy. A solid job takes solid work ethic and patience
    - When asking off you have to ask 3-4 weeks ahead of time, and even then it isn't 100% guaranteed

10. "Former employee"

I worked at The Little Gym full-time

Pros

Truthfully beside the fact that I met some very nice people there including some of employees I can't think of any pros...Sadly!

Cons

They overwork their & underpay their employees...Do not recommend this place even for the parents to bring their kids. Hygiene is not 100% and the food they offer to kids during camps is full of GMO's & dirty ingredients.