The London Evening Standard Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

The London Evening Standard Reviews

Updated Aug 16, 2019

2.2
The London Evening Standard CEO Sarah Sands (no image)
Sarah Sands
  1. "GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The London Evening Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

-it's a job -some people are ok

Cons

- low pay -bad communication between managers and when I say bad, I mean no communication -no room for growth or respect for the workers -the only things these people care about are appearances and status, I have never met more fake people in my life - you can't trust your coworkers -when I took the job I was told the vertical was going to be substantial and interesting but it is just an SEO site that a bot... could write DONT WORK HERE

Advice to Management

If you're going to open a NY office maybe invest in webcams/zoom so you can actually communicate with them

The London Evening Standard2019-08-17
  2. "Poorly run business"

Former Employee - Senior Editor in London, England

I worked at The London Evening Standard part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice staff and a good atmosphere

Cons

Directionless management who consistently fail to respond to changing media landscape

The London Evening Standard2019-08-02
  3. "Suck it up for minimum a year and move on unless it's your cup of tea"

Former Employee - Journalist in London, England

I worked at The London Evening Standard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Canteen in the building for hot food which you pay from your own pocket, which is nice. But other than that sorry no massive free perks, just odd instant coffee and also when they decide to top up the milk which is nice.

Cons

Oh gosh, really don't know where to start from...old mentality, lack of innovation, very slow, they pretend to be big shots but really they're laughable within the industry. It's quite the stressful environment to be in, and some desks seem to be better, just by the amount of free stuff they seem to receive daily... piles and piles of free products and items, so I'm guessing they do pretty well but the problem with... that is they don't seem to share any wealth. You pay for everything from your own money you don't seem to get the expenses back. They don't seem to care about your mental health.. as long as you do the job then that's fine with them, don't even mention about a raise, you might beth a huge NO and a laugh in your face... After a while, you become a zombie. If you want to start in the industry and get a decent wage to survive in London, but after a while, you'll just get exhausted, they'll promise a lot but not much will happen, so don't get your high hopes. Manage your expectations. Some decent people around the office but be wary of the fake personalities.

The London Evening Standard2019-06-24
  4. "Don't work there unless you are desperate"

I worked at The London Evening Standard full-time

Pros

There are some wonderful people there, but they are mostly the people who get bullied and pushed around. Some desks are much more pleasant than the one I worked on.

Cons

The biggest problem I had working there was the bullying culture. That started in 2015. There is a particular editor who thought it was acceptable to ask staff to work holidays, on their days off, and would routinely - and I mean at least once a week - commission you at 5pm or 6pm to write a piece for the next day, even though you had been in since 8am, meaning you would end up working late into the night. What... was ludicrous is that she was a very lazy person herself, who did her work to a very low standard (her editing was appalling - she'd routinely add errors), who was a very poor writer and who never stayed late. She was just a terrible bully - and drove a number of people to leave too. This behaviour was widely known about - lots of people made complaints - but essentially indulged. This is an unprofessional workplace generally. Staff aren't given the support they need, and there's no career development really. Pay is also very unfair and arbitrary. I found out I was earning a lot less than a male colleague who was doing essentially the same job. The paper is not really a paper any more - you're just churning out copy, rather than breaking stories. Certain staff are favoured to a ludicrous degree, despite constantly making the paper late/ taking their personal life to work in the most extreme way/ behaving inappropriately towards staff of the opposite sex etc

Advice to Management

Review the behaviour of management Address bullying Stop cutting staff

The London Evening Standard2019-01-03
  5. "Correspondent"

I have been working at The London Evening Standard full-time

Pros

fun eventful interesting fast humour

Cons

none pressure lack of time lack of control

The London Evening Standard2018-04-03

"You'll need a second job..."

Former Employee - Picture Editor in Kensington, England

I worked at The London Evening Standard full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generally a very good group of people working there. Nice office environment, lots of light, spacious and food/drink options inside the building.

Cons

Inflexible working hours, poor money even for newspaper industry, poor maternity, few benefits.

The London Evening Standard2018-02-05
  7. "Commericial dept hugely mis-managed"

Former Employee - Media Sales Manager in London, England

I worked at The London Evening Standard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management team aside, some very talented people working in commercial, real passion for the brand and what it can offer.

Cons

Hugely mis-managed, very old fashion ‘media’, at times very sexist (not support of working mothers or flexible working). At risk of losing some real talent if those left aren’t better looked after.

Advice to Management

Too many lines of management

The London Evening Standard2018-02-07

"Poor pay, poor working conditions"

I have been working at The London Evening Standard

Pros

A well know brand newspaper that is desperate to grow, have expanded in to TV to try and increase advertising revenue, covers all media types.

Cons

Very poor leadership with no attention to personal development or skills development. The commercial department is no better and is run by a 'boys club' if your in your okay if not you will never grow in the company. Very problematic IT division using very out of date equipment not up to industry standards.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and invest in them

The London Evening Standard2014-08-12
  9. "Job getting bigger, staff getting smaller"

Current Employee - Writer in London, England

I have been working at The London Evening Standard full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The newspaper is a strong brand, has a good reputation and has more than 2million readers, meaning that stories are well read.

Cons

As with many newspaper groups, we have had cuts, after cuts, after cuts. As a result departments have been cut to the bone even though the work has increased as we now have to furnish copy for the website on top of the paper. This has led to longer hours and dissatisfied staff. Some departments have been merged with those from the Independent, which has added to reporters' workloads as the two papers run on... different deadlines.

Advice to Management

Be realistic with your demands. We are reaching breaking point in terms of the cuts.

The London Evening Standard2014-05-23