The MENTOR Network Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella
Bruce Nardella

Pros
  • Developing relationships that make a difference (in 17 reviews)

• flexible schedule, friendly staff, opportunity to move into management (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • All your compassion is for the consumer but you have none for the employees, no raises, managers that have no power over their staff (in 36 reviews)

• Upper management are very clicky (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love what they do"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Supervisor in North Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Supervisor in North Andover, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They may be for profit but what they do is care for people and that is the most important thing any of us can do

Cons

It is a large company and complex network of people and often not all on the same page. They need to be better at speaking the same language

Advice to Management

Find a way to work together to be a better place for everyone rather than this us against them mentality. It can be a very difficult place to work unless they can agree that they all want the same result

The MENTOR Network Response

Jan 23, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that during your time here you witnessed our dedication to the people we serve. As a national organization, The MENTOR Network attracts a diverse group of ... More

2. "Awesome organization"

Former Employee - Direct Patient Services in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Direct Patient Services in Madison, WI

I worked at The MENTOR Network part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Caring people throughout the organization and well structured.

Cons

Pay was on the 1st and the 15th , not every other week

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Activity Assistant for Elderly Hatian"

Current Employee - Assistant Activity in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Activity in Boston, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love to with people from my community

Cons

No complains at this point

Advice to Management

Would do my best to be helpful

5. "Getting paid to work with your friends"

Current Employee - Program Director in Bridgeport, WV
    Current Employee - Program Director in Bridgeport, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rewarding work. Flexible schedule. Understanding management who aim to please. Opportunities for advancement. Work environment that fosters opportunities to be creative, independent, and add to your personal growth. You aren't just body in a work station. Your work REALLY MATTERS!

Cons

It's hard to maintain the balance of working with people you see as friends/loved ones while following all of the guidelines/practices needed to supply services to them. Example: you want to be able to tell everyone you know how great it was to help someone achieve their goals but you have to censor how you say it to maintain their privacy. But the sense of accomplishment makes it all worth it!

6. "Program Coordinator point of view"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the overtime you want.

Cons

Revolving door, management doesn't support staff, poor pay.

Advice to Management

Should be more involved in the day to day operations. Pay should be more for the amount of work that is done.

"Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

The Company's mission, helping individuals with disabilities and brain injuries is noble. The people drawn to working here are dedicated and are generally about the mission, no one is doing it for the money, except the C-level 6th floor who are making millions off of the whole operation but that's another story. The office location near South Station is great and the Fort Point neighborhood is growing every day. The work is manageable (9-5) and there is no pressure to work nights or weekends. If you've got a good manager, you are pretty much set. Once your manager is on your side you are pretty safe from getting laid off, people work here forever without much heavy lifting.

Cons

Your experience here really depends on your manager and your group. Senior management doesn't get along and don't have the same goals. The head of my department basically confirmed this. Unless you go out of your way, you don't interact often with other departments or people on other floors. This could be a good thing given some of those departments. Benefits are bad -- expensive and not a lot for the money. Nothing close to what you should expect from a big established company. Raises only come with promotions and promotions only happen when someone leaves. Lots of little groups who all function well but the corporate office doesn't function as a group. No investment in new technology. Pushing people to North Andover which is a weird and depressing place to work.

Advice to Management

Act like you care
    If it's about the mission, stop making it all about the money

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DON'T DO IT! !!!! You are not appreciated, treated like dirt, worst agency. Don't you read the reviews? RUN AS FAST as possible. It's a swinging door, nobody stays. Nepotism, racism, abusive behavior by Management and employees, get out while you can. No raises should have been your first sign you will never be valued.

Cons

Everything! Read my pro version review. You will ruin your career and mental health.

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the individuals served was the best part of my job.

Cons

I was rushed through the two-week training so they could hurry up and get me started. I was a part of opening a brand new home and was the only staff they bothered to hire before starting 24 hour care. I worked 80-90 hours a week to fill the schedule, and my supervisor helped as much as he could but they gave him two other new houses during the course of a few months. They found another Program Coordinator who was available to help me staff the house, however she would call off for 50% of her shifts and was reluctant to follow the schedule of outings or the menu. When I quit, I gave a 4-week notice, only to find that they waited until the 4th week to look for a replacement. A few months after I left, I drove by the house to find none other but my previous supervisors car alone in the driveway-- I can only assume he continues to work in the understaffed home on a regular basis, receiving no overtime compensation.

Advice to Management

Staff houses before opening
    Train employees
    Listen to supervisors
    Do not accept lousy employees just because they'll work
    Don't overwork your employees

10. "Program Director"

Current Employee - Program Direco in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Program Direco in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, improve the lives of individuals who have disabilities

Cons

24/7 job, stress is high

The MENTOR Network Response

May 15, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We’re happy to hear that your experience with The MENTOR Network has been largely positive. Working as a Program Director can be challenging – you’re ... More

"Don't pay enough for the issues you have to deal with."

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Parkersburg, WV
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gain experience and so much more from helping others. A lot of breaks and down times. Work as much overtime as you'd like, but at minimum wage you have to in order to pay bills. You get reimbursed for dining in to eat with individuals, and when you have to drive individuals around in your vehicle so you can get out and about with certain clients.

Cons

Very stressful, Minimum wage no matter how long you work there(been there for 8 years and still no raise), you can work as much overtime as you'd like, and usually will be stuck working hours that you don't want to due to the high turn over rate and the lack of staff(even if you're in a house with 2 people in wheel chairs, you'll still be made to work by yourself), Supervisors don't get paid near enough to care as much as they should either. You also put all kinds of wear and tear on your vehicle but the company won't pay to help fix your personal vehicle you use to drive the individuals around. You could get promoted, but most people choose not to because the responsibilities far outweigh the pay rate(being on call 24/7 and having more than 5 houses to run and keep staffed at one time, but if you don't have the staff then you are stuck working those hours.
    All in all I don't recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

Give raises to those who do all the real work in the houses and have better promotional strategies which would in turn encourage more people to consider a care taking position, and moving up the chain of command. Every other care taking company pays more than REM pays it's Employees and we deal with just as many issues and behaviors as any other company.