The MENTOR Network Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
The MENTOR Network President and Chief Executive Officer Bruce Nardella
Bruce Nardella

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We try to make a difference but because of the constant "misplacements" sometimes that is very difficult (in 20 reviews)

• Clients are great, some staff are great (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • All your compassion is for the consumer but you have none for the employees, no raises, managers that have no power over their staff (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management will tell you things will change for the better but they won't (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Why I love working here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My coworkers are the best. They are devoted to what they do and are a pleasure to work with. You may join the company for its mission as I initially did, but you stay because of the people. I have a ton of flexibility which supports my work/life balance better than any other job I've had. Creativity and collaboration are encouraged. I've worked in Corporate for 5 years now and have learned and grown so much more than I could have ever imagined. I'm sure I'll still be here in 5 years (by choice!) reflecting on my 10 years with the company.

Cons

Due to the multi-dimensionality of the organization, it can be tricky to find a "one size fits all" solution for certain issues, as there are always exceptions to the rule.

The MENTOR Network Response

Aug 17, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Our goal is to create a personally and professionally rewarding experience for each of our employees, and we’re happy to hear that you’ve had a... More

2. "great"

Former Employee - BHT in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - BHT in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great place to get your foot in the door for the behavioral health field

Cons

the pay, sometimes management can suck

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

"A great start"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. It is extremely difficult to get fired. You have to be a horrible individual to get fired from this place.
    2. The company leaders are moving towards correcting past issues and implementing best practices.
    3. Very laid back company.
    4. Perfect for a first job after graduating.

Cons

1. Hi turnover! 90% of the company employees have been here less than 2 years. So everyone is still in the learning phase. This causes a lot of mistakes, doubt, low moral, and low accountability. Mostly because of lack of training.
    2. Low pay, no raises.

Advice to Management

Listen to the few vets you have left. They have valuable information. Also, happy employees don't leave your company. Cater to the employees instead of the shareholders and you wont have to keep starting over.

4. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Facilitator in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Facilitator in Long Beach, CA

I worked at The MENTOR Network part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Meaningful work and great mission
    -Great flexibility
    -Great people

Cons

-Low pay
    -Could use a more strategic plan

"It's all right...."

Current Employee - DSP in Bridgeport, WV
    Current Employee - DSP in Bridgeport, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The individuals are amazing. They become like family. Twelve hour shifts are nice. You're reimbursed for expenses. We can go out in the community and enjoy ourselves. You work at a site so your boss isn't constantly in your face. You get so many hours of PTO per check and you can actually use it. They offer bereavement pay. They have holiday pay. They're pretty good at working with your schedule overall.

Cons

The pay sucks so it seems like there is a high turnover rate. The management is overworked because we are short staffed so they get really annoying. They sometimes forget that our individuals who are their own guardian have the right to make their own decisions without being scolded or having privileges revoked. Benefits are offered but you really don't make enough money to afford them so what's the point? Some PCs tend to talk down to employees and says that they are going to cut everyone's hours back to part time so they can avoid providing benefits, even if you don't use benefits because like I said it's too expensive.

Advice to Management

Be more respectful to our individuals and to employees. PDs and PCs should go through retraining the same as DSPs. We should be given raises based on performance.

"Life Skills Trainer"

Current Employee - Life Skills Tranior in Benton, AR
    Current Employee - Life Skills Tranior in Benton, AR

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The kids. I see the progress we make everyday with our clients. How much of a difference in our clients from when they first arrived till they leave. The love and trust that our clients have for us.

Cons

Physically,mentally and emotionally draining. Sometimes we have to go hands on quite a lot. It can be very

7. "Definitely worth being with this company"

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

Staff and even the company itself are very caring. A lot of it has to do with really being there for those in need. You see it throughout the company.

Cons

Don't really have any cons. I just started.

8. "Clinicians beware!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of people that are working there genuinely care about what happens with the residents who live in the group homes and many work very hard for little pay

Cons

When I was there they NEVER gave raises. I asked to have an exit interview with upper management and never got a response to my e-mail request. My direct supervisor, immediately prior to my leaving, was hypercritical and negative and I told her that I could not bear the daily criticism - I tried my best, but it never let up. The staff turnover was so high that intervention follow through with clients suffered. Clients were obviously saddened by the frequency of staff exits.

Advice to Management

The management needs to be more empathic and responsive to direct care staff and clinical staff. Your turnover is unusually high and that should tell you that something is not right! This turn over is bound to cost you in terms of morale and funds.

"NJ Mentor - past employee"

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

It is a good job to get your feet wet and gain experience in the field, especially coming out of college.
    Create your own schedule
    There is opportunity to advance or move around within the agency but you have to advocate for yourself to get to where you want to go.

Cons

Money overrides client needs and that mentality is spread throughout the agency.
    A disciplinary process doesn't exist. There is no separation from those who do and those who don't, which creates low morale. Accountability is an issue.
    You could be given more tasks then your job description outlines, it is not a discussion but rather your supervisor telling you more work will be given and without any incentive or extra pay.
    Depending upon your position, you are expected to work 24/7 and without pay. Boundaries are poor. You may be expected to use your personal cell phone and during off hours.
    Saying NO is something you may need to do to maintain a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Be aware of the "we can't discharge a client due to maintaining a certain census"
    Focus solely on client needs and find/implement the supports to maintain them at current level.
    Utilize a employee handbook and enforce a disciplinary process.

"Youth Support Specialist - well, that's what my title is this month. It changes."

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time

Pros

I truly enjoy my job along with most of the people I work with. We try to make a difference but because of the constant "misplacements" sometimes that is very difficult.

Cons

Our group home could be great but upper management treats staff dreadfully . Some people haven't had a raise EVER! My co worker just had her 10 year anniversary and not only has she never gotten a raise, they did nothing for her.
     Nothing! After 10 years of dedication.
    The other issue is how most of our clients are "misplaced". Some are sex offenders and some have severe anger issues. We are not therapists but we are expected to deal with all types of situations. When an incident occurs, and a client is taken away by the police, upper management either sends a letter or goes to testify as to what wonderful progress this client has made or how bright his future could be. No regard to the staff that was threatened or to the damage done to the home. The client almost always returns to the home and will have issues with the person that called the police or the staff where the altercation started. We are put in very precarious situations and management blames the staff. This company is not there for staff at all. The worst part is that most of them have never worked in one of the group homes so they have no idea of the difficulties.

handles a "client" after they have done something in the home, to the home or to the staff. Some of them can be quite dangerous. When the client is due to go to court upper management

Advice to Management

Step up! Care more about staff instead of the almighty dollar. Everything would be so much better if staff was appreciated. Offer less expensive healthcare and open up the moth ridden wallets and give annual or any kind of raises. I see that Mentor never addresses this on this website in any of their answers. Typical.