The MENTOR Network Reviews | Glassdoor

The MENTOR Network Reviews

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Developing relationships that make a difference (in 19 reviews)

• Clients are great, some staff are great (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • All your compassion is for the consumer but you have none for the employees, no raises, managers that have no power over their staff (in 37 reviews)

• Upper management will tell you things will change for the better but they won't (in 31 reviews)

"QMHA"

Former Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - QMHA in Portland, OR

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had plenty of opportunity to refine my skills doing just about anything, and I did most anything... and went above and beyond my pay grade.

Cons

There was a constant need to go above and beyond, because there was so much lacking. If you didn't do 200 percent, nothing was getting done.

Advice to Management

Very glad the ABI/PSRB element was removed from Mentor Oregon in Portland, the management was atrocious and supported the propogation of slacker mentality with under payed, under appreciated performance from those who actually cared.

2. "Getting paid to work with your friends"

Current Employee - Program Director in Bridgeport, WV
    Current Employee - Program Director in Bridgeport, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Rewarding work. Flexible schedule. Understanding management who aim to please. Opportunities for advancement. Work environment that fosters opportunities to be creative, independent, and add to your personal growth. You aren't just body in a work station. Your work REALLY MATTERS!

Cons

It's hard to maintain the balance of working with people you see as friends/loved ones while following all of the guidelines/practices needed to supply services to them. Example: you want to be able to tell everyone you know how great it was to help someone achieve their goals but you have to censor how you say it to maintain their privacy. But the sense of accomplishment makes it all worth it!

Jun 15, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. Our goal is to create a personally and professionally rewarding experience for each of our employees, and we’re happy to hear that you’ve had... More

"Program Coordinator point of view"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the overtime you want.

Cons

Revolving door, management doesn't support staff, poor pay.

Advice to Management

Should be more involved in the day to day operations. Pay should be more for the amount of work that is done.

Jul 17, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We appreciate your feedback, and regret that your experience has not been positive. Staffing is a challenge across the human services industry, given the high emotional demands of human services... More

"Corporate Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time

Pros

The Company's mission, helping individuals with disabilities and brain injuries is noble. The people drawn to working here are dedicated and are generally about the mission, no one is doing it for the money, except the C-level 6th floor who are making millions off of the whole operation but that's another story. The office location near South Station is great and the Fort Point neighborhood is growing every day. The work is manageable (9-5) and there is no pressure to work nights or weekends. If you've got a good manager, you are pretty much set. Once your manager is on your side you are pretty safe from getting laid off, people work here forever without much heavy lifting.

Cons

Your experience here really depends on your manager and your group. Senior management doesn't get along and don't have the same goals. The head of my department basically confirmed this. Unless you go out of your way, you don't interact often with other departments or people on other floors. This could be a good thing given some of those departments. Benefits are bad -- expensive and not a lot for the money. Nothing close to what you should expect from a big established company. Raises only come with promotions and promotions only happen when someone leaves. Lots of little groups who all function well but the corporate office doesn't function as a group. No investment in new technology. Pushing people to North Andover which is a weird and depressing place to work.

Advice to Management

Act like you care
    If it's about the mission, stop making it all about the money

Jun 7, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your detailed feedback. We regret that you do not have a positive perception of our executive team or employees. As a mission-driven organization, our... More

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Somerset, NJ

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DON'T DO IT! !!!! You are not appreciated, treated like dirt, worst agency. Don't you read the reviews? RUN AS FAST as possible. It's a swinging door, nobody stays. Nepotism, racism, abusive behavior by Management and employees, get out while you can. No raises should have been your first sign you will never be valued.

Cons

Everything! Read my pro version review. You will ruin your career and mental health.

Jun 20, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We are deeply troubled by your review, and we take your concerns very seriously. To explore this situation and determine the appropriate actions to take, we need more information. Although you are no... More

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Akron, OH

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the individuals served was the best part of my job.

Cons

I was rushed through the two-week training so they could hurry up and get me started. I was a part of opening a brand new home and was the only staff they bothered to hire before starting 24 hour care. I worked 80-90 hours a week to fill the schedule, and my supervisor helped as much as he could but they gave him two other new houses during the course of a few months. They found another Program Coordinator who was available to help me staff the house, however she would call off for 50% of her shifts and was reluctant to follow the schedule of outings or the menu. When I quit, I gave a 4-week notice, only to find that they waited until the 4th week to look for a replacement. A few months after I left, I drove by the house to find none other but my previous supervisors car alone in the driveway-- I can only assume he continues to work in the understaffed home on a regular basis, receiving no overtime compensation.

Advice to Management

Staff houses before opening
    Train employees
    Listen to supervisors
    Do not accept lousy employees just because they'll work
    Don't overwork your employees

Jun 16, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

We’re disappointed to hear that you were overwhelmed with the workload of a newly opened home. Please rest assured that whenever we open a new home, our intention is to be fully staffed. As with... More

"Don't pay enough for the issues you have to deal with."

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Parkersburg, WV
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Parkersburg, WV

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gain experience and so much more from helping others. A lot of breaks and down times. Work as much overtime as you'd like, but at minimum wage you have to in order to pay bills. You get reimbursed for dining in to eat with individuals, and when you have to drive individuals around in your vehicle so you can get out and about with certain clients.

Cons

Very stressful, Minimum wage no matter how long you work there(been there for 8 years and still no raise), you can work as much overtime as you'd like, and usually will be stuck working hours that you don't want to due to the high turn over rate and the lack of staff(even if you're in a house with 2 people in wheel chairs, you'll still be made to work by yourself), Supervisors don't get paid near enough to care as much as they should either. You also put all kinds of wear and tear on your vehicle but the company won't pay to help fix your personal vehicle you use to drive the individuals around. You could get promoted, but most people choose not to because the responsibilities far outweigh the pay rate(being on call 24/7 and having more than 5 houses to run and keep staffed at one time, but if you don't have the staff then you are stuck working those hours.
    All in all I don't recommend this place to anyone.

Advice to Management

Give raises to those who do all the real work in the houses and have better promotional strategies which would in turn encourage more people to consider a care taking position, and moving up the chain of command. Every other care taking company pays more than REM pays it's Employees and we deal with just as many issues and behaviors as any other company.

8. "Program Director"

Current Employee - Program Direco in Apple Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Program Direco in Apple Valley, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule, improve the lives of individuals who have disabilities

Cons

24/7 job, stress is high

May 15, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We’re happy to hear that your experience with The MENTOR Network has been largely positive. Working as a Program Director can be challenging – you’re... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The MENTOR Network (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working teams and some folk are compassionate

Cons

Dont care about children served or employees. All about profit and census

Advice to Management

Dont operate in the white tower? Improve culture diversity. Very racist

Jun 15, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We take concerns of racism very seriously, as that is not the type of environment we condone or encourage. We require all employees who join... More

"Not professional at all"

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The clients here at mentor are awesome they have improved thanks to some of the staff that works here .

Cons

The supervisors don't care about you they over staff then they try to get rid of you poor communication they mess up a lot on your hrs and then they will find a excuse not to pay you they lie a lot !!

Advice to Management

Please have these supervisor be more professional with staff and better communication..

Jun 15, 2017 – Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we regret that you have had this experience. We value and appreciate all feedback provided by our employees, and are always looking for ways to improve the... More