The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Jennifer Herring

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Summer Job"

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good summer job. At different times I had different responsibilities. Sometimes I would be at the cash register trying to sell memberships, sometimes I would be at the IMAX theater with a flashlight so if people had to leave the theater during the show I would shine the flashlight on the stairs for them so they could see their way out, and sometimes I worked in the gift shop.

Cons

There weren't a lot of cons to working here. The only con I can think of was that it got boring at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing because I enjoyed my summer job at the Maritime Aquarium and can't think of anything that I would change.

2. "Fun job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, CT

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very professional environment, educated employees, fast paced environment

Cons

Moral had been lost. Family vibe was gone. Not much room for advancement. Pay was not at industry standards

Advice to Management

Invest in the backbone of your institution, and you will keep your valuable employees

3. "Reservations"

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk full-time

Pros

When you can leave your job and walk around at lunch time to watch sea life is soothing and refreshing

Cons

Computer for making reservations is hard to learn, plus everything is unorganized

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees

4. "Ugh... A Nightmare!"

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk full-time

Pros

Ummmm... hmmmm. Ummmm. Well... hmmmmm.... Oh! The health insurance is good and they pay a lot.

Cons

The salary is so low, morale is even lower (due to having to wear 17 hats and never having enough money to pay bills.) People walk around complaining constantly, about the way people don't work together (true) the back-stabbing (true), the low pay (true), each other (usually true) and there's rarely a helpful hand to be found but rather someone rooting for failure of the people around them.

Oh, and that pro about the insurance? Be glad since you'll need it since the stress will have you running to the doctor because you're sick from the stress and frustration all the time.

Advice to Management

Prioritize and listen to some of these complaints. LOOK at the unhappy and miserable staff. Think about how much it costs to live in this state and adjust salaries to reflect the cost of living and high expectations and workload put on employees.

5. "It was an ok summer job."

Former Employee - Visitors Services Representative in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Visitors Services Representative in Norwalk, CT

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some cool people, some decent rewards

Cons

Smells like a school lunch room

Advice to Management

Don't be so suspicious of your employees

6. "Great for students, not great for post grads"

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service

I worked at The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk part-time

Pros

The employees are very friendly for the most part and come from a diverse range of backgrounds. There are some good opportunities for people with a marine biology background or those looking to gain experience/training studying and working with sea creatures (not in a customer service role). The aquarium is located in a nice area of South Norwalk on the water and there are some good places to grab lunch in the vicinity. Very close proximity to the train station for those that do not have a car. Large parking garage as well for those that do drive to work. Regular hours. Good work life balance. Great student job.

Cons

I worked as a cashier in both ticket sales and the IMAX theater, and occasionally operated a 3D ride "simulator", as well as leading visiting school groups off of their school buses and into the IMAX theater from the front entrance. I found the wages to be on the lower end, and there is absolutely no room for mobility. The supervisors in my department were very hot and cold, nice and supportive at the beginning and then very condescending, rude and short after you've been there a month. Training and communication between departments is not good. High turnover, people were quitting all the time after short periods of time.

Advice to Management

Better communication and training of employees. Moral appeared to be very low and I did not get the feeling that anyone in my department felt fairly treated or appreciated.