The Mark Travel Corporation Reviews in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

Orlando, FL

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
William E. La Macchia

Pros
  • I've never seen a company so invested in the core values - it makes me proud to say I'm a team member (in 14 reviews)

• It's easy to achieve a healthy work-life balance, with paid time off and a flexible schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory overtime of 6hours weekly (in 14 reviews)

• The Worst Director of a Call Center I ever work for (in 7 reviews)

"Brand new work at home agent"

Current Employee - CCS WAHA Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CCS WAHA Agent in Orlando, FL

Pros

During the 6 weeks of call center training, everyone was so friendly and encouraging. And now that I'm working from home, I still feel connected to the center and that, if I ever need anything, someone is always available!

Cons

The call center was a little far from my house, but only having to do it for 6 weeks was doable, knowing I would be working from home!

May 24, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Welcome to the team! Thank you for providing your feedback. We hope that you continue to enjoy your role as a WAHA. It's so encouraging to hear that you still feel connected to the call center even ... More

"CCS"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors and guaranteed hours

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    Change in schedule times every week
    Sometimes not enough help from cst

Advice to Management

I really think management should cut out the mandatory overtime. It's beyond overwhelming and it makes it nearly impossible to have a regular life outside of work. Overtime should be at leisure not mandatory. Hire people if the call volume is that high. Also getting off in time when closing. When closing if the call que still has calls we have to wait to be released. After working an already 10 of 11 hour shift that can really wear someone down . The inconsistency in shift hours. Closing one week then opening the next is exhausting. Overall this job has very good intentions but the strategy is poor. There are losing good employees because of this .

May 1, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write. It's great to hear praise for our fantastic supervisors in the call center. They are a dedicated team and a great number started as call center ... More

"Attention is needed"

Current Employee - CST/500 in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CST/500 in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the Core Values. Perks are OK. For the most part, the Team Members are great to work with, and there is an under toned comradry and support of each other.

Cons

Enough value and appreciation is not shown to the employees, more so the frontliners. However, on an overall level more should be done. There should be more recognitions and celebratories, such as potlucks, and the acknowledging of the various cultures within the organization, and destinations (like Cinco de Mayo, Caribbean Day, etc).
    The Customer Care Follow Up, and the Chat/Email needs to be revamped and organized. There should be a team just for those purposes, and should only assist with calls of really high call volume with extreme long hold time. Its unfair to keep having an agent back/forth between CCFU box and the phones. You are focused trying to review a reservation, trying to open a N/A hotel, only to receive a chat to get on the phones, which breaks focus and lead to mistakes which then causes QPRs. The back/forth is too frequent, and it puts you in a mindset of being unproductive.
    Aware that the operational hours are 9am-10pm ET, and understandably the queue has to be cleared, however, for true value and safety for employees more so those who have to drive home, a compromise should be made where the phone lines cut off by 9:45pm, giving head way for the queue being be cleared in and employees don't have to be walking out at 11:00pm or even 12:00mn.

Advice to Management

Think management should seriously have a town hall and listen to the team members. Have time frames setup, even for the WAHA group to go into their local office and be part of the discussions. We care about the company, more so what we do but we need to be listened to and be heard and a common ground where both management and team members benefits.

Apr 13, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was particularly interested in your advice. Did you not know that we previously held a town hall type discussion? We had team ... More

"Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

The culture is one of enthusiasm and customer service oriented. Visits from in house were nice to see the interest in their employees.

Cons

None that I can see so far.

Feb 22, 2017 – SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review! I hope you still see no "cons" since you wrote this in December. I am woefully behind on my reviews. You wrote this in the calm ... More

5. "Good company!"

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

Great company and people! Supervisors very supportive! Worked as a customer care specialist in a call center mostly helping travel agents and direct customers book or modify reservations. Loved visits from vendors and their free meals as well as complimentary or discounted stay at certain hotels.

Cons

Mandatory overtime of 6hours weekly! You can't just clock out when you are supposed to be done, until you are done with the call which sometimes can be 30 minutes or more passed your off time.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if you'd have the option of working part time. Overtime should be voluntary rather than mandatory.

"cst"

Former Employee - Ccs in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Ccs in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work a lot of overtime and have no choice. You get a one night stay on your birthday at a hotel if it not a black out season.

Cons

No room for growth at Orlando. You have to be on the phone only off at break, long work hours. Mandatory overtime added to your schedule from January to September during peak season. The staff is untrained and travel agents are rude and allowed to speak down to the reps. No ongoing training, Old computer system, which is slow and time consuming, needs modern technology.

Advice to Management

Need to work with the employees who are helping you to be a billion dollar company. Listen and work with them instead of against them. Provide incentives and even say thank you.

Jan 29, 2016 – VP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at TMTC. I do not know the circumstances of your departure from the company, but it is unfortunate that your ... More

"Call Center Review"

Former Employee - Call Center Sales in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Sales in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling, fun atmosphere. Training is good; they work with you. There are career opportunities and the chance for a long term career with the company. I left only to seek a different career field.

Cons

Need reliable transportation as most people that are fired have attendance issues. This issue is the most important aspect of working at the call center.

Advice to Management

I liked the management overall at Mark Travel. There are times when peak season becomes stressful, so my advice is to keep doing what you do to make the job easier.

"Nice People"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, friendly family type atmosphere

Cons

Downsizing, little opportunity for advancement in Orlando location

Jun 24, 2015 – VP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. It is always nice to hear our team be appreciated. We do pride ourselves in providing a family-friendly atmosphere. I am, however, confused ... More

"Reservations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Vendors bring free lunches.
    2) Only way to get fired is to have attendance issues or be non-compliant.
    3) Once you are in the company the application process for other positions could be easy depending on what you are transferring to.

Cons

1) Big brother is watching - they watch everything you do from monitoring every call, to supervisors doing rounds around the desks, and regimenting your breaks.
    2) Mistakes get far more attention than your achievements do.
    3) Constant technical issues with the system causes angry calls and further frustrates attempts to resolve issues.
    4) The message of wellness is really in the interest of keeping employees well enough to come to work. Mandatory overtime sometimes up to 8-10 hours over a 40 minimum hour a week schedule during peak season - requires health. Not having much of a personal life does not fit a model of wellness.
    5) If you get promoted they will not tell you how much you will make until you accept the position.
    6) Not allowed to take breaks or lunches with co-workers purposely. If it happens by accident great - if not, you can get reprimanded (your schedule belongs to the company).
    7) Supervisors know little about your job - they don't know the policies and get frustrated when you ask them for help. They prefer for you to call Customer Support and they sometimes don't know.
    8) Policies and product descriptions are not clear sometimes and instead of fixing it - people cast blame back on those who question for clarity.

Advice to Management

Hire more people and treat them better so you can keep them.
    Have people who like working weekends have set weekend shifts and have those who don't like it not work them. Give people consistent schedules so they can be happier - consistent schedules leads to being able to have a life outside of work. (Unless that is the point of not giving one - you want slaves not employees.)
    Too much pressure is placed on the agents - this is why we see so many strokes, people fainting from high blood pressure, and bursting out in tears in the middle of the center.

Dec 9, 2014 – Human Resources

Hello, Thank you for expressing your concerns to us. We see that you are a current employee and encourage you to bring your concerns to your HR Manager. We do have a process for internal ... More

"Great company to learn about the travel industry."

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vacation packages. Training is done very well and new employees are given feedback to achieve call center standards,

Cons

Travel Benefits are not offered as frequently as in the past. TMTC President Bill La Macchia has been a great innovator in vacation travel packages, however most people book their vacation packages through the internet instead of wholsalers.

Advice to Management

Offering more Fam trips would be a great way for employees to experience the destinations and hotels offered. Reservation agents should recieve higher compensation, better benefits. I expect that the Mark Travel reposnse will be the "corporate" response that the salary and benefits package are comparable to other companies in the Orlando area.

Aug 11, 2014 – Human Resources

Hello, Thanks for your review. We are pleased that you think the Customer Care training is done well and will continue to make sure that is the case. We do still offer a plethora of great travel ... More