The Mark Travel Corporation Reviews in Orlando, FL | Glassdoor

Orlando, FL

2.2
William E. La Macchia

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • If you want to move forward live your work life with the core values (in 17 reviews)

• It's easy to achieve a healthy work-life balance, with paid time off and a flexible schedule (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • mandatory overtime at peak season (in 17 reviews)

• The Worst Director of a Call Center I ever work for (in 9 reviews)

1. "Agent"

Former Employee - Bilingual Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Bilingual Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Customer service, sales, PC, Windows and phone etiquete

Cons

They had to downsize quickly.

Advice to Management

great place

"ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE"

Current Employee - Cst in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cst in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FAMs and employee travel discounts
    Vendors
    Great adjustable chairs
    Overtime is almost always available

Cons

This place is an absolute joke. Supervisors & Managers gossip. Nothing is ran/handled correctly or professionally. Half of the people working here have no idea what they're doing and the other half just doesn't care. Morale is nonexistent. There are only a handful of people that do their job correct (this includes supervisors). The turn around rate is HIGH (for all agents, supervisors, even HR). I don't know why they have policies and procedures because nobody follows them and they're always making exceptions. Rez Agent is a horrendous booking engine. It's extremely slow and none of the fuctions work. They always do system updates but the system gets worse. CCS never check sharepoint and call for silly reasons (they call to hold on the line, they call when they know the answer, they call to check basic math). They treat CST like pure garbage. They don't live by their own core values. They always find a way to blame employees for the companies mistakes. Save yourself the stress.

Advice to Management

Find someone else to run the company because you are currently doing a horrible job. You know what needs to be fixed you just choose to ignore. Get a system update that actually makes the system better and easier to use. Care about your employees (just because you say you care doesn't make it true). If you treat your employees better that will transfer over to the clients and travel agents. LISTEN & ACT instead of listening and ignoring. Pay employees more.. give a pay increase every time you learn a new brand. Hire quality people, people that can read and comprehend, people that can add and subtract without help, people that actually listen and care if they make a mistake on someone's vacation/ wedding/ family reunion. Hold the correct people accountable. Hold yourself accountable!

Nov 21, 2017 – Manager Corporate Communications

When I read your feedback my first thought is I hope you have taken action. It sounds that after 5 years with us you are very unhappy with pretty much everything across the board – leadership, your... More

"Pay is too low"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

Helpful coworkers
    Casual dress code
    Fast paced work environment

Cons

Slow computer systems
    Mandatory overtime
    Lack of commissions on sales

Advice to Management

As a privately held company TMTC has the ability to pay above the market rate for call center jobs. Wages are too low for the amount of work demanded .

"Avoid working here if you can"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist III in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist III in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working here was the close relationship formed with fellow employees. There is a great network of individuals working here, and I truly believe this is the reason why this company is able to retain the bit if talent that it can.

Cons

The company seems to struggle from the top down. Call volume was ridiculously high (often 1 to 1.5 hour hold times to speak to a representative), which places a lot of stress on the front line agents. This is compounded by the fact that overtime is mandatory during most of the year -- which means nearly everyone dreads coming to work and is constantly feeling overworked and under-appreciated.
    The company will respond to this critique by stating that overtime is discussed before hiring and that this overtime is necessary because company standards are too high to hire most candidates, but this is not completely true. The fact is that the pay offered is low relative to the amount of work asked of the employees. It is a lot of work. It is also low relative to other call centers on the area. This, coupled with the high-stress work environment is why the company has a problem attracting and retaining talent, and why it is forced to work employees to near-death in order to keep hold times around one hour long. You should strongly consider this before applying,
    When I say that the core problems extend from the top down, it is partly because of how the workforce is managed. You might start as a front line call center agent, but your best opportunity from here is to take two promotions and become a 500 Club representative, earning a whopping $14.23 per hour. After this, the most you can hope for is an annual raise of 2-3% a year -- hardly enough to cope with rising costs of living in most regions. While the company brags of opportunities for advancement, the fact is that most senior salaried positions are filled from outside the company. This means that mid-level management is less experienced and knowledgeable than the staff that they oversee. This is a recipe for disaster. I have personally witnessed supervisors with decades of experience being denied advancement, only for the company to hire an outsider to fill a management position. Loyalty is not rewarded here if the company can demand more work from you without increased pay.
    Another issue is with respect. There is a culture in this company where salaried employees and non-customer support positions have little to no respect for agents in the call center. I worked several positions in the company, but always dreaded having to contact other departments because of this. Have to call accounting? Nine times out of ten you will speak to an unpleasant woman who can't be bothered to help. The same often applies if you need reach out to PB or CAP (other internal departments).
    The last con is that almost everyone hates working here. I'm serious. You will find that the culture here is to constantly nitpick and criticize everything that you do. So much so, that you sometimes feel that the company might terminate you soon. I felt this, and I was a high-performing employee and often received compliments for my work. Despite being great, I never seemed to be good enough to avoid being subjected to the nitpicking and criticism. Like I said, a lot of people stick around because they have developed relationships with coworkers. A lot of the supervisors stick around because they have invested years with the company and cannot leave if a new employment opportunity offers less pay -- It is often difficult for someone in their 50s to leave a job and start fresh. And in this sense some people here feel trapped. I have known both front line agents and supervisors outside of work and this is nearly universal. Everyone is overworked, under-paid, and incredibly stressed Don't be fooled by the shills claiming that this is a great place to work. The truth is, almost everyone would leave if they could.
    I have left Mark Travel and could not be happier. Everyone I know who has done the same shares this sentiment. The woman who responds to this review will seem perplexed by it. Like this is a complete surprise. But the fact is that her father started the company -- meaning that here experience here is atypical. I would love working at my father's company too.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Also, hire enough staff to fill the positions. If this seems impossible, increase the base pay. If you pay well, people will work here.

Jun 30, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Hi, this is Jennifer La Macchia, aka "the woman who responds to this review." Have we met before? I feel like I would remember if someone came to me or a member of the HR team with this feedback... More

"Brand new work at home agent"

Current Employee - CCS WAHA Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CCS WAHA Agent in Orlando, FL

Pros

During the 6 weeks of call center training, everyone was so friendly and encouraging. And now that I'm working from home, I still feel connected to the center and that, if I ever need anything, someone is always available!

Cons

The call center was a little far from my house, but only having to do it for 6 weeks was doable, knowing I would be working from home!

May 24, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Welcome to the team! Thank you for providing your feedback. We hope that you continue to enjoy your role as a WAHA. It's so encouraging to hear that you still feel connected to the call center even... More

"CCS"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors and guaranteed hours

Cons

Mandatory overtime
    Change in schedule times every week
    Sometimes not enough help from cst

Advice to Management

I really think management should cut out the mandatory overtime. It's beyond overwhelming and it makes it nearly impossible to have a regular life outside of work. Overtime should be at leisure not mandatory. Hire people if the call volume is that high. Also getting off in time when closing. When closing if the call que still has calls we have to wait to be released. After working an already 10 of 11 hour shift that can really wear someone down . The inconsistency in shift hours. Closing one week then opening the next is exhausting. Overall this job has very good intentions but the strategy is poor. There are losing good employees because of this .

May 1, 2017 – SVP and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write. It's great to hear praise for our fantastic supervisors in the call center. They are a dedicated team and a great number started as call center... More

"Customer Care Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

The culture is one of enthusiasm and customer service oriented. Visits from in house were nice to see the interest in their employees.

Cons

None that I can see so far.

Feb 22, 2017 – SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review! I hope you still see no "cons" since you wrote this in December. I am woefully behind on my reviews. You wrote this in the calm... More

"Good company!"

Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time

Pros

Great company and people! Supervisors very supportive! Worked as a customer care specialist in a call center mostly helping travel agents and direct customers book or modify reservations. Loved visits from vendors and their free meals as well as complimentary or discounted stay at certain hotels.

Cons

Mandatory overtime of 6hours weekly! You can't just clock out when you are supposed to be done, until you are done with the call which sometimes can be 30 minutes or more passed your off time.

Advice to Management

Would be nice if you'd have the option of working part time. Overtime should be voluntary rather than mandatory.

"cst"

Former Employee - Ccs in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Ccs in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work a lot of overtime and have no choice. You get a one night stay on your birthday at a hotel if it not a black out season.

Cons

No room for growth at Orlando. You have to be on the phone only off at break, long work hours. Mandatory overtime added to your schedule from January to September during peak season. The staff is untrained and travel agents are rude and allowed to speak down to the reps. No ongoing training, Old computer system, which is slow and time consuming, needs modern technology.

Advice to Management

Need to work with the employees who are helping you to be a billion dollar company. Listen and work with them instead of against them. Provide incentives and even say thank you.

Jan 29, 2016 – VP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience working at TMTC. I do not know the circumstances of your departure from the company, but it is unfortunate that your... More

"Call Center Review"

Former Employee - Call Center Sales in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Call Center Sales in Orlando, FL

I worked at The Mark Travel Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling, fun atmosphere. Training is good; they work with you. There are career opportunities and the chance for a long term career with the company. I left only to seek a different career field.

Cons

Need reliable transportation as most people that are fired have attendance issues. This issue is the most important aspect of working at the call center.

Advice to Management

I liked the management overall at Mark Travel. There are times when peak season becomes stressful, so my advice is to keep doing what you do to make the job easier.