KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The Mark Travel Corporation

Is this your company?

The Mark Travel Corporation

Add a Review

The Mark Travel Corporation Employee Reviews about "team members"

Updated Nov 16, 2017

Found 13 of over 161 reviews

3.7
The Mark Travel Corporation Chairman, President, CEO, and COO William E. La Macchia (no image)
William E. La Macchia
Pros
  • "The Core Values are true to who the organization is(in 18 reviews)

• "Awesome team members and managers(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Mandatory overtime which is NOT optional(in 19 reviews)

• "Peak season is a majority of the year and requires long hours(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team members"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Intern

Amazing Company, Great People

Nov 16, 2017 - Travel Agency Engagement in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

TMTC treats their interns (and all employees) VERY well. Not only do they pay a livable wage to college students living in a costly city, but they offer tons of organized workshops and seminars about financial wellness, interviewing, and personal growth, so that an intern not only learns through the experience brought on by their position, but also to learn how to "adult" after college. In my first quarter at TMTC, I have learned multiple computer programs relevant to my field, written email copy, collaborated with team members on major projects, and established strong working friendships within the office. Everyone I have met--both within my team and in other departments--has been incredibly welcoming, helpful, and genuinely wants to help me grow. I don't get "busy work" here like other internships may offer--I'm pushed out of my comfort zone daily, and have learned so much in such a short time. Possibly the best part of this whole thing is that the trajectory for interns is awesome here. My boss started as an intern, and less than five years later, she's managing a department. I started as a junior with 1.5 years of school left, and they've told me I can stay through graduation, and are even talking about keeping me after that. Getting hired after graduation is very common for interns here--which is so comforting as you approach your final years of school. I seriously couldn't be more satisfied and would highly recommend other students to intern here.

Cons

The only thing that may have deterred me from this job was the initial hiring process. I waited about 8 weeks between the initial phone interview and the job offer. This was pretty stressful, as I really wanted the job and needed to find one before the next school year began, so I felt pressure as I began running out of time. That being said, HR kept me in the loop through that entire 8 weeks--they answered any questions I had via email, and kept me updated throughout the interview rounds, background checks, and that they were preparing to make an offer. Although this process took time, it's important to remember that HR here is constantly active, always hosting activities and hiring quite frequently, so it's easy to understand why they took awhile.

Manager Corporate Communications

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to write this thoughtful review. I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying your internship & are learning a lot. We thrive to create learning opportunities at every turn for interns on at LME. Our hiring process does tend to be longer only to ensure we have the right person in the right seat, so thank you for being understanding of that. We always want to make sure we find the right fit not only for LME, but for the person as well. Sounds like we found that in you – the right person (you) for the right seat (Travel Agency Engagement intern.) Thanks again for your review! – Sara, VP – Travel Agency Strategy

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

May 26, 2017 - Anonymous in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The chain of management in my team is awesome, all the way to the top. There's so much communication, dedication, support, and appreciation. No one is ever too busy (yes, everyone's busy) to take time to answer questions, have a teachable moment, address an issue, or share gratitude. As one who thrives in a positive environment, The Mark Travel Corporation (TMTC) is my place. My opinion, my voice, my work, and my wellness is valued. We have so many wonderful programs around team member wellness that I look forward to and actively participate in. Management supports me in my innovations and my desire for growth. If you walk into TMTC with a positive attitude, ready for engagement, and can embrace change, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Our core values aren't just words. They're the directions we live by. Be well, work well, live well.

Cons

The company expects a lot from team members? I love staying engaged and progressive at work so I guess that's an upside for me, but I could see where it might be too much for others. If you want to work for the best, you must perform at your best.

13 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee

YOU should be here!!

Aug 29, 2016 -  in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company many years now, and have seen firsthand many instances of how much the owners care about the team members and the company itself. I've never seen a company so invested in the core values - it makes me proud to say I'm a team member. From the benefits, to the vacation plan (which, compared to other Milwaukee companies, is very generous), to the wellness program - team members mean a lot to the company. I can also tell you that I'm not the only one who feels this way. For each person who has negative things to say about the company, there are 10 more who feel the opposite. We have such longevity and knowledge throughout the teams and you can see the passion for the products we sell and for the customer. We try to treat each other like family here - we may not always agree on things, but we all care about each other.

Cons

Teams require a lot from their team members and they hold their team members accountable. Although we have fun, we still expect a high quality of work from everyone. We have our own operating system which can take some adaptability (but is useful once you get using it). Keep in mind none of these are really negatives, but you have to be willing to get your hands dirty and do the work.

2 people found this review helpful

SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Wow thank you! I hope everyone both prospective, current and past team members take the opportunity to read this. You are right, it is a family around here - quite literally - but it's not just the La Macchias who treat the company as if it's their own, that's true for every one of our dedicated team members. The pride in the company and one's work differentiates us not only from others in travel industry but from other companies in the regions where we operate. It's because of our team and a shared vision that we have been consistently voted one of the top companies in Wisconsin. I'm grateful for your review, I hope that you will continue to share your feedback - the good or the bad - with us. All the best, Jennifer La Macchia

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

500 Customer Support Team

Nov 11, 2016 - Customer Support Team 500 Club in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined the company a little less than a year and half ago with no travel background at all. I'm so grateful to have a wonderful team of trainers, supervisors, managers, and co workers that have always offered me guidance and support in each of my roles. In the short time that I've been with company I've really established a strong sense of pride in our end to end vision and what our customers mean to us. The company is very wellness oriented and offers a number of great resources to its employees year round. We have our own Wellness Ambassador that everyone knows by name. We have wellness action day once a year which is the company's way to allow us to focus on our wellness and show their appreciation for the work we do. We have an annual Benefits Enrollment meeting in which our HR department takes the time to sit down with every employee to educate them. I think one of the company's biggest strengths is Management. The group of supervisors and managers in Milwaukee our all so hard working and dedicated, they never shy away from helping no matter what the issue may be. They set the bar for customer service which has allowed me to learn and grow as team member within LME.

Cons

Peak season is a majority of the year and requires long hours. However, that was made clear during the interview process. There is flexibility with your extra hours so you have the option to manage your schedule during peak season.

1 person found this review helpful

SVP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hi and thank you for your feedback. I apologize that I've been so far behind on my replies. I am happy to hear that you feel so supported here at LME. I am grateful that you've shared this as I truly believe that is what we are about as a company. I said down in another reply, being so busy is a good problem to have but it can make things very difficult for our team members. We can always improve how we operate and it's important for our team's voices to be heard. We are looking into ways how we can operate more efficiently, with more flexibility for our team members without sacrificing the industry-leading customer service we provide to our customers and travel agents. What we need more of to do this is to hear from our team directly. Suggestions, concerns, ideas - we need them. Sometimes our team members think that nothing will come of it, but we can point to many areas we've improved because our team members made an effort to voice their concerns and ideas. We can only improve when we know what the issues are. Keep talking to us and we hope that you continue to feel the same way you did at the time you wrote this! All my best, Jennifer La Macchia

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Work hard and move up!

Jul 17, 2017 - Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Family Owned - Open positions = advancement opportunities - Yearly raises for hard working team members. If you don't work hard then difficult to expect a merit increase. -Travel opportunities - Strong technology = stability in the marketplace - Acquired new company = growing - 401K match - Leadership gives you the tools you need. It is up to you to use them effectively - Expectations of position are very fair. I don't feel micromanaged but I am held accountable for quarterly goals/projects. - Vacation time is off the charts. But more importantly, Mark Travel encourages you to use it! Vacation is accrued based on time with the company. -Salary is competitive with the market -Wellness is an important and motivated core value. I am always encouraged to participate in different activities to promote my well being. The Biggest pro is that I love what I do. I have the opportunity to talk about travel all day long with our travel agent partners and co-workers.

Cons

- Turn around time on new hires is longer than expected. Mark Travel does thorough background checks then can take time to find the ideal candidate. -Health insurance certainly isn't the worst or most expensive but could improve in a couple areas.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Love my job.

Feb 4, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working for The Mark Travel Corporation. During my hiring process, there was a heavy emphasis put on the "culture" of the organization. Everyone talked about the "culture" as being what sets the company apart from all others. It was not until I was hired, and was immersed in this culture, that I really could see the difference. From management to front line team members, it is obvious that everyone has a vested interested in everyone else. The people here really do care about everyone around them, and really want to see each other be successful. I feel valued every single day, and I see the value that I do add. I love knowing that I make a difference, and that I am appreciated. I am treated with respect, and the ideas that I have, are really listened to and considered. I know that I have room to learn and grow, and I know that if I work hard, it will pay off and be recognized.

Cons

I really do love my job- and there are not many things that I would change. However, some decisions need to be made by taking into consideration all perspectives and ideas, and not just having one person at the "top" making the final decision.

Human Resources

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are so pleased to hear that you love your job and appreciate the culture at TMTC. It is great to hear that your leader embodies the core values - be sure to let him or her know you think that! We're always open to hearing team member feedback so feel free to share anytime if you have any additional thoughts. Thanks again!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A company with real core values

Jan 15, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

My favorite core value is "Get your hands dirty". At all levels of the organization team members pitch in to take care of the customer and ensure their vacation expectations are met and exceeded. Business goals are set through a structured planning process and expectations for team member performance are clear. "Be well, work well, live well" is another core value that the entire organization is committed to. The company has invested heavily in the well being of team members and it shows. If you're looking for a company with a clear vision, aggressive plans for growth and a proven operating system, then TMTC is for you.

Cons

Travel is a low margin business and expenses have to be carefully managed. Teams run leaner here than at other companies I have worked at. As a result, each role has a lot of responsibility and workload. The business is very fast-paced which can burn you out if you don't set your priorities and manage to them.

1 person found this review helpful

Human Resources

Wow, thanks for the great feedback! We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts about working at TMTC and are thrilled that you so strongly identify with our core values. While we understand the fast-paced nature of the business is often challenging, we are glad to see that you communicate openly with leadership. Keep getting your hands dirty and sharing your feedback with us.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Group Sales Representative

Sep 4, 2017 - Group Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome team members and managers. Organization of the department is decent. Great travel benefits/opportunities. Managers usually always have their employees backs. Only on the incoming line for a couple of hours a day, allowing you to get quotes out and work done by the end of the day.

Cons

Old office, pay is very low for how much work and stress involved in planning the group vacations with travel agents. Software is older, because they have their own technology company, sometimes it takes forever to get quoting done and out to agents in a timely manner.

Manager Corporate Communications

I greatly appreciate you taking time to provide feedback on your experience working in groups at Mark Travel. We use all feedback as a great opportunity to learn from our team member’s experiences to help continue to grow and evolve the department. Thank you for the kind words on the leadership team. As an organization, we are lucky to have a fine team of leaders that aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and do what is necessary to support the team. The comment I enjoyed most was on your experience with the other team members. I consider myself very lucky to be able to work with such an outstanding and hardworking team each and every day. As a department we have grown a lot over the past few years and it is the energy and passion of the team that has been the biggest driver of that growth. In terms of the items you have listed as cons, again I appreciate you being honest with your feedback because this is how we are going to continue to grow. The technology piece is something we have and continue to invest heavily in and have made some tremendous strides over the past couple of years. We have many team members within groups that have commented on how much better the technology has gotten which in turn has allowed them to be much more efficient with their daily tasks. While a lot of progress has been made, there is still more to come and what gives me great confidence is the organization’s commitment to groups and their willingness to continue to invest in the team and technology we are using. In addition, we have received a lot of feedback recently from travel agents that are using our new group booking platform and they have been commenting about the ease of use and ability to be much more productive in booking groups. Travel agents have stated we are far and away ahead of our competition when it comes to group technology. With all that being said, this is something we will continue to invest in and I am really excited about what the future holds for our technology both for our team and for the marketplace. Your comments about pay is something we look at closely as an organization and are often evaluating and adjusting pay scales to ensure we are compensating team members appropriately for the tasks they are performing. Discussion of pay can be a difficult one, but I can say that I wouldn’t have just celebrated my 15th anniversary with the company if I felt the organization wasn’t fair with my compensation or more importantly my team’s compensation. My greatest priority as a leader in groups is centered around the team and their wellness. Ensuring the team is being compensated fairly is certainly an important aspect of that. One other point to make in regards to pay is centered around something I am very passionate about and that is the opportunity for continued advancement within the organization. There certainly is great opportunity to grow within the group team to achieve a higher level role and subsequently higher pay. In addition to this, with Mark Travel being such a large organization, there is also great opportunity to continue to grow your career in other departments as well. Over the years, we have had numerous team members be promoted from within groups and also have had team members take roles outside of the group team to further advance their career. Our leadership team is always very supportive in discussing with the team on the different opportunities both within and outside of the team in regards to future professional growth. As I started out, the only way we are going to continue to grow is to listen to those that are most important, our great team of people. I do hope your new endeavors are going well and appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. All the best, Mike E – Director of Groups

9. 4.0
      Current Employee

Large Company with a Small Company Feel

Jan 7, 2015 -  in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are well beyond standard for companies our size and our premiums have not increased in seven years. Generous vacation time off plan, and the company lives by it's core values. Team members here are challenged regularly and are held accountable for their decisions - therefore, are also given latitude for independent judgment. I regularly see team members promoted - we love to hire from within.

Cons

Although we have fun, the company still expects a lot from it's team members and we ask the tough questions. You have to be willing to accept that.

Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Mark Travel. We are very excited about not increasing our benefits premiums for the seventh year in a row, and we attribute that in part to our award-winning corporate wellness program. We enjoy seeing the hard work of our team members pay off by way of career opportunities within the organization, and are glad to see it is recognized. Keep having fun!

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Nice company

Jun 12, 2015 -  in Milwaukee, WI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, dedicated co-workers, fun company-wide activities, and the opportunity to make people's dreams come true! Bill Sr. is a wonderful man and an inspirational leader.

Cons

Depending on what department you are in, flexibility can be lacking. A bit of favoritism is shown in terms of which team members are allowed to come back to work part time after the birth of a child and which are asked to come back full time or not at all.

2 people found this review helpful

VP-Human Resources and Corporate Counsel

Hello and thank you for your very thoughtful feedback. It is always nice to hear appreciation for the dedicated team members. We couldn't agree more. I am very happy to hear about making our customer's dreams come true. That is the heart of the Live End-to-End core value of LME. I am sorry to hear your perspective regarding part-time arrangements. I can assure you that favoritism in no way plays a role in assessing part time roles. However, to provide some insight, given the workload and demands of the business, we do not have many roles that are suited for part time schedules. Of course, if a team member requires a flexible or part-time schedule due to a qualified medical or related issue, we engage in the interactive process. As well, whenever a team member requests a flexible work schedules for any reason, we take such request seriously and will go through a thorough assessment with the team member and his or her leader to determine whether (a) the role can be performed adequately on a part-time basis, (b) whether the business can support such a limited/alternative schedule and (c) whether this would create any hardship or burden on the other members of the team. We do this in order to, as you very wisely addressed in your advice, to retain the expertise of the dedicated staff as well as to avoid replacing valuable team members. But you have to understand that not every role can be adequately performed on a part-time basis. I cannot emphasize strongly enough that favoritism plays absolutely no role in this. The decision to allow a part-time schedule is not arbitrarily made by one person but rather it is made by a team of individuals after careful consideration. I do not know why you are no longer employed by the company, but I would be happy to discuss any concerns you may have regarding this or any issue. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback and do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time. Jennifer La Macchia

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews