The Marketing Arm Reviews

Updated Aug 10, 2020

3.4
The Marketing Arm President Andrew Robinson (no image)
Andrew Robinson
Pros
  • "The seven years I spent at TMA were life-changing and career-defining(in 31 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance is actually pretty great(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • "Turnover is very low so TMA tends to be a top-heavy organization(in 17 reviews)

• "Low pay with little room for negotiation and getting promoted can be difficult(in 10 reviews)

1. "Amazing Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment and community.

Cons

Health insurance gets a little expensive for employees that have families but I think their holding company controls those type of things.

2. "Fun Work, Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun work, great people, female employee heavy, great culture and perspective on social issues

Cons

Toxic work mentality - you are expected to be available any hour of the day; you are guilted into taking on more and more work past normal workload levels in the name of "opportunity", but it never gets lighter once you take something on; terrible pay

Continue reading

3. "Awesome company that fosters growth"

Former Employee - Apprentice

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

Great people, uplifting environment, good teams who care about their employees, weekly company meetings, quarterly company retreats (and not normal, formal ones - fun ones), cutting edge industry

Cons

If anything, lower pay, but nothing else

4. "Mixed bag"

2.0
    Former Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good culture, sometimes great work.

Cons

Raises and promotion's aren't common occurrences.

Continue reading
  5. "Great agency, some old school quirks"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Creativity is valued. Communication is even more valuable. Everyone cares about what they do, and the sucess of their clients. Work/Life balance is actually pretty great.

Cons

You know those companies where it feels like everyone is the VP of something... That's kind of how it is. They often pay people less than what's industry standard and they get away with it by touting how big their Agency is and give you a "nice" title. Also... This is an Omnicom agency and it's obvious. It was a start up at some point, but it doesn't feel like that at all. Timesheets... IT is lame. It's all bearable but sometimes it just gets overbearing.

6. "Awesome Job"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

A lot of fun and cool clients

Cons

Low pay and average benefits

February 28, 2020Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for your post. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at TMA and the work we do for our clients. We have made commitments to our staff to improve in the areas of career growth, compensation evaluation and better benefits this year. We wish you success in your next endeavor. - Brad Penman, C.O.O.

7. "Fun Place to work"

Former Employee - Junior Art Director

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed working here. Made a lot of great friends and companions.

Cons

Sometimes it can feel like you are at a frat house.

February 7, 2020Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for your post. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at TMA and developed some great relationships. We are working hard to help everyone feel included and to create a culture based on our values including team first. – Brad Penman, C.O.O.

8. "No better agency out there!"

Former Employee - Account Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The seven years I spent at TMA were life-changing and career-defining. You cannot beat the culture, people, leadership, mentorship, and quality of work and clients. If you want to learn, challenge yourself, grow your career and meet some of the smartest, most creative people in the business, look no further than TMA.

Cons

Turnover is very low so TMA tends to be a top-heavy organization. Upward mobility can be challenging at the Director and Executive level, and promotions at this agency are not for the faint of heart.

February 7, 2020Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for your post and the kind words about your time at TMA! Although low turnover is positive for an organization and its people, it can also be challenging for upward mobility. Through the size and diversity of capabilities of our agency, we feel there is ample opportunity for growth. We have also instituted a new initiative that will define the goals and career path for each employee. – Brad Penman, C.O.O.

9. "Strong values, great company"

Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Places importance on employees Lots of internal resources Vast opportunities for career growth Multiple disciplines to work with/learn from

Cons

Benefits and salary not really competitive and pretty low if you're not management

January 7, 2020Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for your post and being a valuable member of the team! Our people are our top priority and we strive on building an environment that supports them daily and throughout their career at TMA. We are always looking to ensure we are paying our people fairly and I encourage you to have a discussion with your manager, HR, or me to discuss your compensation and long-term career plan. – Brad Penman, C.O.O.

"The Thing About Elephants"

2.0
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life Balance. Free Snacks. Coffee Machine.

Cons

Low salary. Lack of Established Process. Chaotic.

January 7, 2020Chief Operations Officer

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I’m happy to hear you had a positive experience with work-life balance at TMA. It is a challenging issue for our industry and we will continue to make this a priority. I am assuming the elephant you refer to is compensation. Our goal is to help our people improve and grow and compensate our people fairly and in-line or better than the marketplace. We will never be perfect but we will continue to add salary research and evaluation reporting tools as well as career mapping and performance evaluation programs to help our people grow and improve in this area. – Brad Penman, C.O.O.

Found 184 reviews