The Marketing Arm Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ray Clark

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great culture and reasonable work-life balance pending your manager" (in 14 reviews)

• "There is a great culture that is adopted from executive level to entry level" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Like all agencies we are all very busy all the time, oh and there is no 401k matching" (in 6 reviews)

• "Work life balance could be seen as challenging" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Atypical agency in a sea of ordinariness"

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good place for workers who dig in, look for opportunities and push the envelope. When I was there, I met a bunch of folks who'd started as interns, junior art directors or low-level account people and, over time, rose to senior positions.Of course, that's not unusual for an agency, but the people I worked alongside had a deep passion for the agency and had figured out a path for themselves. As someone who worked for four other agencies and three brands, I totally understand. I've been there.

Cons

I also met people who worked hard, delivered for their clients, and did good work, but were disappointed that they weren't advancing faster. TMA is a pay-for-value agency, meaning that even if you're working hard, doing your job and checking the boxes, you might not be handsomely rewarded for it. It's not unlike a lot of businesses: Those who figure out a way to do something really big or really interesting, are rewarded, even if it takes awhile. They tend to rise to the top. I saw a lot of people leave the agency, go to another agency, and end up leaving that job (sometimes returning to TMA) because they were unhappy there, too. In a few cases, I was friends with people who left and, after a few jobs, figured out that it was less about TMA and more about the agency business. I also heard legitimate complaints from people who worked for a weak manager or a particularly challenging client. Those people are easy to spot on Glassdoor.

2. "Art Director"

Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Art Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a good environment to learn. TMA has a ton of resources to pull from, so the work ends up being better quality than other agencies I've worked for.

The leadership has realistic expectations. So, they'll push back on clients when the timing that they're asking for isn't doable. I work nights and weekends when I have to, but it's not a regular thing. Creatives are often pulled from another team to help during a busy times.

CE1 is a promotions group. So, any designers working in that department will be working on campaigns directly tied to sales, not traditional advertisements. But, unlike a lot of promotions agencies, TMA gets to do some out of the box work that gets noticed.

There's a focus on ideas, so the fastest way to be promoted is by contributing in brainstorms and thinking, not just taking orders. Everyone from Jr ADs to Sr CDs are involved in brainstorms.

Cons

If you coast and don't contribute, then your job isn't secure.

A lot of our work is very design heavy. So, if you don't like sitting on your own designing all day, this job might not be for you.

Campaigns are shared. Someone might come up with an idea. Another person might present it. Another person might start the creative. And another person might finish it. It's hard to add work to your book. But the final product ends up being better and less expensive for the clients.

Advice to Management

3x3s should help me be a better designer. Doing so will eventually help TMA win more work.

I would rather have 401k matching than a bonus (although the bonus is nice).

3. "Creative Director"

Former Employee - Creative Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Creative Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some good people and some I hope to never work with again, especially in creative management

Cons

Brainstorms by fire- pressured to always come with BIG ideas which usually yielded nothing, hours, Management isn't honest,

Advice to Management

none

4. "Great Place to Begin Career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The upper management I believe genuinely cares about their employees.
    I had a ton of opportunities for growth and development.
    I think TMA is a great spot for the beginning of your career, they have a culture like no other but will also teach you a strong work ethic.
    The benefits are really great, my health insurance was great, vacation time was enough, and being a part of Omnicom is awesome.
    Certain teams are fantastic (FritioLay, GameStop, Influencer, Exxon, just to name a few) they have great individual cultures and leadership is great.

Cons

It's a little behind in the times compared to previous agencies I've worked at, no WFH policy, no processes across agencies (each team operates independently), and promotions are hard to get.
    There are some bad eggs, this is the case in any company but there are some people in director/vp level positions that aren't great at their jobs or even nice people. (Though I will point out the C-suite are great)
    The salary/raises do not match up to other agencies. If you expect a cost of living increase you will be disappointed. Even if you do your job well and do well in performance reviews

5. "Good agency"

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

Lots of great coworkers and exciting projects.

Cons

Depending on account team, there can be favoritism and a lack of merit based promotions.

"Decline over time"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall nice people. Flexibility on time and ability to work from home. The cultural events are fun. When I first arrived I thought this was my last stop for the remainder of my professional career.

Cons

The longer I am around the more I see how politics plays in to who is able to stay. I know politics exists everywhere, but tell me how an inept VP who doesn't know how to rename a Word file is allowed to be employed for three years while other hard-working junior people are removed due to 'client changes' and then that workload is put on even more junior people with less experience?

Advice to Management

Turnover is common. Restructuring is common. But you should ask around to the people who execute the actual client work for opinions on structure, org charts, and necessary resources rather than the same 10 leaders who are removed from reality.

7. "Great agency with great people doing great things"

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I’m involved in the 3 employee led initiatives – diversity & inclusion, volunteering and supporting women. Really cool that the agency leaders prioritize and support these. Due to the scale and diversity of capabilities, allows people career paths and different career opportunities all over the world.

Cons

Agency is not for everyone. It is a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment and you tend to work long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people by prioritizing culture, career advancement and development of managers

8. "Account Manager"

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

Up beat atmosphere and culture and talented executive team

Cons

Work life balance could be seen as challenging

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to promote work life balance

"Boys Club"

I have been working at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

Some of the people are so phenomenal - hard working, supportive, inspiring creatives.

Cons

For the most part, it's a total boys club. Many of the leaders here are very slimy, money driven men.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees to a higher moral and ethical standard

10. "Creative/Account/PM"

I worked at The Marketing Arm full-time

Pros

People are nice. Company events occur often.

Cons

No vision. Bloated creative departments in some offices with barebone departments in others. Scopes are written in a silo without interdepartment reviews. Layoffs have been happening often in the last 5 months, but don't seem to be based on anything related to clients. The LA office seems to be protected and they barely have 1 client. The Dallas office is in a bubble that is different than the other 3 offices.

Advice to Management

There is often talk about a 3-year plan. Other than laying people off, what is it? How are you competing against other agencies?