The Mars Agency Reviews

Updated Feb 26, 2020

2.7
The Mars Agency Global CEO Ken Barnett (no image)
Ken Barnett
Pros
  • "Great People with strong background in shopper(in 13 reviews)

• "Hours: For the large majority of employees, work-life balance is great(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • " no 401k match (in 7 reviews)

• "No 401K match, this is a major sore point for many but still nothing is done about it(in 6 reviews)

1. "Focused on Growth"

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Small enough to feel like family but big enough to do great work for great clients and keep learning. They care about their employees and are working hard to make Mars an enjoyable place to work (& stay). Shopper Marketing discipline on CPG is interesting and fulfilling - especially in a town dominated by cars

Cons

CEO North America is cool but Global CEO sometimes has a temper. Working on it. Generally good bonuses (when company does well) but no 401K match

The Mars Agency2019-01-08

"Company Lacks Structure"

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

You have the opportunity to work with some well known CPG companies.

Cons

- There is absolutely no structure at Mars. - Tons of miscommunications between satellite offices and teams. - Company is constantly overpromising projects to clients and then freaks out when we don't have the bandwidth or capabilities to finish the projects on time. - Positions are never backfilled when employees leave/get fired resulting in other employees being burdened with extra work at the same pay. - Too many junior level employees that do not have enough experience to be in their positions. This is the Mars way of hiring cheap, but it often results in poor client leadership. - No room for growth and little to no bonuses or raises - No 401K match - Salary is below industry standard - Health plans are expensive and have ridiculous deductibles

The Mars Agency2020-02-27

"Average"

Former Employee - Account

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People with strong background in shopper.

Cons

A lot of internal process changes make things tough.

The Mars Agency2019-09-12

"Small agency with big ego"

Former Employee - Account Lead in Detroit, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A handful of people are great to work with and smart, but a lot of the work gets loaded onto them due to a mediocre mass

Cons

They take departures extremely personally, and often seem to go after people who leave by using intimidation tactics and legal threats or even actual lawsuits against people who they supposedly valued when they were there and who sacrificed a lot for the agency. After I left, a current employee said to me, “once you’ve decided to leave, they’re done wIth you”. It’s interesting to me that People & Culture feels compelled to respond to negative reviews on here. Maybe it’s because exec leadership obsesses over the reviews and freaks out when anything negative is shared. Sad.

The Mars Agency2019-08-28

"Great culture, not so great creative"

Former Employee - Art Director in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Culture, great people and atmosphere. - Perks, lots of extras. Team building outings, free food etc.

Cons

- Creative, goes through many account people. Feedback is more of a laundry list of dos than a discussion about what’s best for the project. Don’t expect great portfolio pieces going through.

The Mars Agency2019-02-17

"Believe ALL The Negative Reviews"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Exposure to great accounts 2. Mars hires talented, skilled people.

Cons

1. No room for growth 2. Leadership is structured in a very inefficient way. 3. Lower-level employees, such as I, were over-worked and never given recognition for going above and beyond. 4. Pay is lower than in other agencies. 5. There's no 401K match. 6. There's a culture of fear. 7. Promotions are given based on a popularity scale. Nothing measurable. Are we back in High School? 8. The sad thing is, all this has constantly been communicated to HR and nothing has been done. They all resort to publishing fake positive reviews to offset the good ones.

The Mars Agency2019-01-11

The Mars Agency Response

January 23, 2019Director, People & Culture

We're sorry to hear that you felt that your experience wasn't great, but we feel compelled to respond to your claims. There is plenty of room for growth at The Mars Agency. In fact, within the last year, we've promoted 32 of our staff members (approximately 10% of our team), most of them at a junior to mid-level. Promotions are carefully considered based on the formal performance evaluation process, and consideration is given on a quarterly basis to the team members who demonstrate they meet the criteria for the next level, based on input from their manager and the leadership team. We also have a merit bonus program that pays out annually for those who go above and beyond, in addition to our Props & Praise program, for coworkers to show gratitude for their teammates. As for the positive reviews on Glassdoor, The Mars Agency's People & Culture team has no control over what is published, as that goes against Glassdoor's policies. Those are unsolicited reviews posted by our employees.

7. "Great culture. Limited room for growth"

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Great work culture. Collaborative environment

Cons

Can burn out employees with long hours and really high demands. Little room for advancement opportunities

The Mars Agency2018-11-06
  8. "Found a Great Work Family at TMA!"

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

I've called The MARS Agency home for over 10 years! It has been a great experience! I feel that I'm truly cared for here from the leadership to my peers. It is a relatively big company, but it still feels like a close-knit work family. We work hard and we play hard. They provide a number of fun activities at work and opportunities to be involved in our local communities. MARS also makes a point to ensure that people are continually recognized for their efforts. If you are seeking a long term work home, check TMA out!

Cons

Would like to see a matching 401k at some point

The Mars Agency2018-11-05
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Mars is a family friendly company where you can grow in your career and still have a good life work balance. Beautiful building; great people; relevant culturally and socially.

Cons

Would love to see a 401k match

The Mars Agency2018-10-30
  10. "Cool agency, very fun people"

I worked at The Mars Agency

Pros

Lots of clients, office space is cool

Cons

I didn't have many negative experiences

The Mars Agency2018-09-12