The Mars Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Ken Barnett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hours: For the large majority of employees, work-life balance is great (in 8 reviews)

• Great people and corporate culture (in 11 reviews)

Cons

"Same thing all the time"

Former Employee - Shopper Planning Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shopper Planning Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really collaborative, hard working people. Some very definite smarts but not across all the people. Very nice people overall. They try and make sure you are happy there and give you work you are interested in

Cons

Repeating the same thing all the time to clients
    Not much new thinking or creative initiatives
    Small agency so when they lose business it's bad for a number of people

Advice to Management

Don't be so top heavy
    Invest in junior people they are the future of your company

2. "Director of Operations/Project Management"

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people, great opportunity for learning from the best in Shopper Marketing, good resources available, excellent benefits

Cons

Disconnect between cultures in corporate and satellite offices,

Advice to Management

Bring offices together more often, don’t let upper management lead with intimidation and develop a more collaborative environment

"Client and staffing turnover problems."

Former Employee - Vice President Creative in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Vice President Creative in Detroit, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a place where young people can get some entry level experience. Occasionally a client will let you do interesting work. Occasional group fun outside of the office. Always a few interesting co-workers.

Cons

A revolving door of an agency. Constant staffing turnover. Poor senior leadership of staff, deceptive salary/rewards practices especially towards entry to mid-level employees. Lower than industry average pay. Long hours. Little recognition of talent. Dishonest relationship with vendors, late in paying at best. High turnover of clients, and even higher turnover of talented young staffers. Few opportunities to do high level brand work...same old ideas used over and over again. Lots of backstabbing, corporate culture pretends to be fun, but is more manipulative than other agencies in the Detroit market. Company often tries to imply self-credit to agency of record work that had little to do with it's own efforts. Very top heavy in pay versus effort/talent.

Advice to Management

Pay your suppliers on time! Give staffers honest (annual) reviews. Reward the best talent and reduce turnover problems in the process.

"Director Client Sercices"

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Met some fun people that are passionate

Cons

Toxic work environment, passive aggressive office culture.

Advice to Management

Minneapolis office could use a shake up!

5. "Great place to work"

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, ability to make impact

Cons

long hours, sometimes can feel unstructured

6. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and work environment, make your stay at this agency a great experience.

Cons

Lack of opportunities to grow and to improve your creative skills.

Advice to Management

Involve your creative teams in all your projects and take a closer look to those who work harder and put everything for your company.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and corporate culture

Cons

salary is lower than other companies

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to employee input

8. "great place to grow a career"

Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

I have been with Mars for years and it is truly a family environment. people actually care about you and it shows. Couldnt recommend more.

Cons

there are no major cons

Advice to Management

keep it up!

"Sales executive status"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management is very good.

Cons

There is no room to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees achievements and show appreciation.

The Mars Agency Response

Sep 29, 2016 – Director, People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback. While we're confused about the position you held at The Mars Agency, (we don't employ Sales Representatives in any of our offices), we do appreciate that you felt... More

"Better Than Advertised"

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Preamble rant: It's rare that a content current employee posts an unsolicited positive review of an employer on here. But even as a relatively new employee to The Mars Agency, the way that failed employees are using this reviews page annoys me. This is why I feel compelled to give my review.

Mars is a very decent place to work.

Hours: For the large majority of employees, work-life balance is great. If you look at the parking lot a half hour after close of business on any given day, you’ll find it’s already close to empty. Everyone gets to go home to have dinners with their families and that's great. There are obviously plenty of times when work beyond normal business hours has to happen, and anyone in this business should understand that.

Wages: My salary is competitive, even if judged by big market standards. I see some reviewers complaining about their salaries, and wonder why they signed up for a job with a salary that doesn’t meet their needs. This is a business and I would never expect to be paid more than I’m worth. And if I reach a point at TMA where my salary no longer matches my worth as an employee, then I will go somewhere that will pay it. That’s how you deal with your career as an adult—whining about it isn’t going to improve your lot in life.

The work: I feel that TMA is in the midst of a creative rebirth of sorts. Teams are putting out excellent work and new hires are being made to up the quality of the work even more. I personally believe that the number one way to improve an agency is to improve the creative product, and then everything else will follow. I feel that a lot of the right people are in place to successfully push TMAs creative to a level that compete with any top agency. Given some of our areas of expertise and experience in shopper and promotions, there will of course always be some low-level barely-creative work that needs to be done…that’s just the cost of admission.

I've worked at several agencies, and The Mars Agency stacks right up there with all of them in all major areas.

Cons

While most employees are talented and highly effective in their jobs, their are a handful that are just plain ineffective. Just a couple of weak client leaders can negate the great work of dozens of good employees.

Not directly Mars-related, but Southfield is not a very exciting town. And in the dreary Michigan winters, it can get downright depressing. You can't really walk anywhere for lunch, and most decent places to eat are a 10-20 minute drive away. I feel like this hurts morale. There is now a little sandwich and soup type shop in the building, so that helps a bit with that pain point.

Advice to Management

Trim some of the fat. Consider getting rid of the people that you constantly hear complaints about because they are just awful. Give their jobs to somebody hungry and capable of doing a better job.

AEs often seem frantic and overworked; we probably need some more.

The Mars Agency Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Director, People & Culture

Thank you for taking the time to write this review; we appreciate your support! We do strive to be the best we can, and it is this kind of dialog that helps us become a better place to work. Please... More