The Mars Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ken Barnett

Pros
  • Hours: For the large majority of employees, work-life balance is great (in 8 reviews)

• Great people and corporate culture (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, poor work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• The upper management is too top heavy (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

Pros

The Mars Agency is a great place to work. My coworkers, the senior leadership team and everyone else you come in contact with are great to work with. Truly a collaborative environment to be a part of.

Cons

I don't have any cons to say about Mars. It has been a very pleasant place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. It's been a pleasure working with each and every one of you.

"Same thing all the time"

Former Employee - Shopper Planning Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Shopper Planning Director in New York, NY

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really collaborative, hard working people. Some very definite smarts but not across all the people. Very nice people overall. They try and make sure you are happy there and give you work you are interested in

Cons

Repeating the same thing all the time to clients
    Not much new thinking or creative initiatives
    Small agency so when they lose business it's bad for a number of people

Advice to Management

Don't be so top heavy
    Invest in junior people they are the future of your company

3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Art Director in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture and work environment, make your stay at this agency a great experience.

Cons

Lack of opportunities to grow and to improve your creative skills.

Advice to Management

Involve your creative teams in all your projects and take a closer look to those who work harder and put everything for your company.

"Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and corporate culture

Cons

salary is lower than other companies

Advice to Management

Keep paying attention to employee input

6. "great place to grow a career"

Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Creative in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

I have been with Mars for years and it is truly a family environment. people actually care about you and it shows. Couldnt recommend more.

Cons

there are no major cons

Advice to Management

keep it up!

"Sales executive status"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The management is very good.

Cons

There is no room to grow your career.

Advice to Management

Recognize employees achievements and show appreciation.

The Mars Agency Response

Sep 29, 2016 – Director, People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback. While we're confused about the position you held at The Mars Agency, (we don't employ Sales Representatives in any of our offices), we do appreciate that you felt ... More

"Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Account Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

Some great people and clients

Cons

Systemic challenges. Clients don't trust us. We have too many people in meetings and no real purpose or leadership. Lots of chasing and reacting.

Advice to Management

OGSMs will go a long way. Put yourself in the client's shoes. Then put yourself in your front-line account manager's shoes. Get in touch with the MARS of 2016 and the way it is perceived. Oh, and pay your vendors.

The Mars Agency Response

Sep 28, 2016 – Director, People & Culture

Thank you for your candid feedback. As a company that has been in business for over 40 years, our people are the driving force behind what we do. You can't be successful for as long as we have ... More

9. "Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Solid, smart, talented people
    - Fortune 500 clients-- not automotive
    - Relatively stable- not a lot of layoffs like other Detroit agencies
    - Summer Fridays, Happy Hours, First Friday Breakfasts, baseball outings, etc.
    - Privately-held, family-run company. It's not for everyone, but that's okay. I've had a few friends with health issues/personal struggles who have been treated (quietly) with extraordinary generosity by leadership. Believe it or not, they care more than you think.

Cons

We need to choose a direction, stick with it, and communicate it in a precise, timely way to the agency.

Advice to Management

Decide who we are and move on. Don't let trends, jargon and shiny objects take us in random directions. And let's not keep changing what was working before.

"Trying to change... for the better?"

I have been working at The Mars Agency full-time

Pros

There are some fun, talented people who bring a lot to the table. A lot of our work is really great!! The outdated slurpee machine is gone. Work/life balance is on point.

Cons

There are a lot of grumpy, untalented people who don't have much experience. The office is in a constant state of construction with new furniture and offices but still clinging to the old carpet and refuse to update office chairs. Actually refuse to acknowledge that we need new chairs and continually ask for them. New cameras installed everywhere and management is on a new bender about being on time. They also want to know why we aren't silly, fun and wanting to work 'til 8... One of the selling points of Mars was supposed to be normal hours, which in my mind countered the fact that the agency doesn't pay well. No raises in 2016.

Advice to Management

If you continue to push for a more corporate, clock-watching, camera-filled environment, people with talent are going to leave. It's as simple as that. I'd recommend reading The Creative Group 2016 Salary guide where you'll find current trends in hiring, salaries and benefits your employees want. And also new chairs. Did I mention new chairs? Hire some young people if you want to save money, get a keg, and you'll get the fun and people wanting to stay. Cultivate from there. The Mars Agency is pretty topheavy right now. Also, recognize people for doing a good job. Currently there is no positive reinforcement. In the future, if someone is abusing our policy when it comes to hours, please pull that person aside and let them know it's an issue. Sending an accusing-toned mass email to everyone feels juvenile when 98% of us ARE all in.

"Employees receive little to no respect from Ken Barnett. The females in management behave like insecure teens."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Southfield, MI

I worked at The Mars Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with clients can be interesting and pleasant, and the adult co-workers, who actually participate at their jobs, are intelligent and great to work with. If you do your job, as well as your team members jobs, you can advance. It's a nice starting point for someone fresh out of college, and with no family responsibilities.

Cons

Yes Ken Barnett is a screamer, very disrespectful to his employees, has anger issues which probably stems from trying to prove to the world that even if his Mother hadn't given him the company, he would still be some what successful. If you deal with him on a regular basis you will find him insisting he knows more than he does, and he never accepts responsibility for his errors. Also, in his weird way, Ken Barnett encourages the bad behavior of the childish Mean Girls he surrounds himself with. This company has a high turnover, in part due to the nature of the beast, but largely due to worthwhile employees not tolerating the long term slackers, and heir constant buck passing. You will also notice that most of the older employees are men. And a little hint, Mr. Barnett is a typical bully that can't handle when someone stands up to him.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with genuine respect. Acknowledge that your wrong when your wrong, and keep the Junior High school playground behavior where it belongs, at your children's Junior High school. I also agree that Ken Barnett would benefit from anger management counseling.