The Mather Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 29, 2018

4.1
Stewart Mather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Wealth Management Intern"

I worked at The Mather Group as an intern

Pros

I interned in the summer of 2016 and overall had a great experience. I learned a lot about the business through daily case studies, an investment competition, and final project building a hypothetical financial plan.

Cons

Most of the time is spent cold calling.

2. "Great Company with Great People!"

I have been working at The Mather Group full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are competitive and you work with really smart people trying to always do what is best for their clients. They leverage technology very well and the CEO has a great vision on where he wants to take the company. People are very approachable and always willing to help one another.

Cons

It is a fast-paced and challenging environment so it may be hard for some employees to keep up.

"There is more to life than money"

I worked at The Mather Group full-time

Pros

Well marketed; fee only fiduciary, integrated tax services, and diversified index approach to investing serves most clients well. Decent pay.

Cons

Atmosphere often toxic and lacking professionalism from the top down. Members of (most) senior management lack personnel management skills. Marginal benefits beyond salary.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most valuable attribute...especially in a service focused industry. If you value team members, treat them well, and with respect. Belittling and berating experienced professionals is foolish.

4. "Employee Oriented Company"

Current Employee - Assistant in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at The Mather Group part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small fun Projects
    Personal feeling
    Small Business

Cons

Dont get to see the people you work with :)

5. "The Mather Group Intern"

I worked at The Mather Group as an intern

Pros

Working at The Mather Group provided a very well rounded internship experience where you are exposed to all aspects of the financial planning process, gain valuable sales experience, and are trained in all of the intricacies of a client/advisor relationship. Upper management in the firm is very accessible and approachable, and those individuals also provide valuable insight into the industry and day-to-day operations at the firm through daily case studies that are presented to the interns. During this time, the interns are able to ask questions and delve deeper into the information that is provided to get a full grasp of the many aspects of a wealth management firm such as The Mather Group. Upon completing the series of information sessions, interns were then tasked with building out a comprehensive financial plan for a hypothetical client, similar to what they would be doing as a full-time wealth advisor at the firm. This, in my opinion, was the most valuable aspect of the internship program as it gave first hand experience in the financial planning process, and extensive feedback was given to each intern on how they can improve their financial plans to better suit the client’s wants and needs. Beyond the technical work, this internship program also provides the opportunity to practice and hone relationship management skills while calling corporate executives around the country as prospective clients of the firm. Each day provided a new challenge and a new learning experience at The Mather Group, which made the overall experience very positive.

Cons

Some work can get repetitive, but overall teaches you a lot about the industry

6. "Intern"

I worked at The Mather Group as an intern

Pros

6 week training with upper-level management. Good internship if you're looking for a job to make money in an Internship.

Cons

Long hours of cold calling

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your interns. Internship details were extremely decorated.

7. "Overall Great Experience"

I worked at The Mather Group as an intern

Pros

As an intern, I gained great sales experience on the phone. Received insight on taxes, social security, investments, and into the insurance world. The interns had the opportunity to pick the employees brains for career/life advice daily. Best of all, I was given the chance to interview full-time, and although I bombed it, it was a great learning experience. Not to mention Stewart Mather and his team are a lot of fun to work with. Overall great experience!

Cons

The pay wasn't too great, but hey, it's an internship after all