The Meadows Racetrack and Casino Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "Interesting place"

Former Employee - Security Officer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino (More than a year)

Pros

Good team environment and feel

Cons

Mandatory overtime with very short notice

2. "Dealer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA

I have been working at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tips are decent. Employees are friendly.

Cons

Be prepared to work every single holiday & every weekend, schedule sucks unless your a favorite . How can management be in charge of people when they never managed people be for? Benefits are so, so. Customers are tough buggers.

Advice to Management

Quit hanging out with hourly people telling them who's being fired before the person being fired even knows. It's just not right.

3. "Food Service"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, good benefits, decent pay

Cons

Lack of communication and direction

Advice to Management

No Advice to give

"beware"

Former Employee - Attendant in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Attendant in Washington, PA

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the guests, but mgt dosent like when you talk to them. WRONG JEALOUS PEOPLE!

Cons

The management has been there way to long..they only got promoted from food courts when meadows casino took over!
    Never will they get a job anywhere else. Clicks!.... They are ignornent to their workers. SMOKE BREAKS NEVER COUNT FOR THEM...AND THEY SMOKE ALL DAY..and play favorites with the employees.
    HOPEFULLY PINNACLE WILL REALIZE THIS AND GET THEM OUT. The turnover is constant! Hasn't anyone ever looked into this?
    What a shame.

Advice to Management

Retire! Quit cheating. You don't clock in...BUT you show your faces..and bang..no where to be found all day long..in one door and out the other for years milking money. Everyone knows but nothings done cuz of the """"click"""" I understand the new CEO Isn't doing anything about it either.
    clean house before you go under ... don't allow supervisors to dress ..get them uniforms and NAME TAGS.
     All they do is hide behind closed doors...hello!

5. "Dealer"

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Washington, PA

Pros

Clean work environment,meals,uniforms included.
    Training,license 401k

Cons

Schedule not very flexible for full time.

"Learn from the negatives"

Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Representative in Washington, PA

Pros

I worked in the Human Resources department at the Meadows and I can see my sentiments are shared here on Glassdoor! I loved my actual work, but the work environment was the worst one I've ever been in.

I guess if I could come up with pros, I'd say I learned a lot from the negatives....i.e. how to interact with difficult employees, how departments shouldn't be run, etc. I don't say any of that to be mean, it genuinely was a good learning experience, just sort of a backwards way to learn.

Cons

The management in my department was terrible, and that's the nicest way I can put it. I can't speak on behalf of the other departments because I don't know how they were run.

Turnover was inevitable and you could set your watch to it; a revolving door of ambitious and driven new hires turning around and quitting within a few months. I see it's still that way...no surprises there, as senior leadership has done nothing to fix the obvious problems, which they are very aware of.

I was never given the tools or support I needed to succeed in the position, but rather was faced with a "I don't know!! Figure it out for yourself!!" type attitude, and I always did "figure it out for myself", but was never recognized for the hard work and dedication I put in. During my short time there, 3 people left and I had to take over most of their work in addition to mine, but was kept at the same level position in which I started, and treated with the same low level of respect.

To say I was busy is a complete understatement, but I loved the fast pace environment and genuinely loved what I did. What I didn't love was the lack of respect and leadership. There were also a few other associates who I had to work closely with every day who had very bad attitudes as well, which just created a culture of negativity and made me dread coming into work...a very toxic environment. It was quite literally unbearable, and I got to the point where I was going to quit whether I had another opportunity lined up or not.

If you weren't part of the mean girl's club you weren't going to fit in. What I mean by that is, if you didn't just want to relentlessly make fun of people for no reason, and come into work every day with the absolute worst possible attitude, you simply would not fit in. That's okay though, because I noticed the trend of professionals who had positive attitudes always moved on to greener pastures at other companies.

The hours were also sporadic and management never had the courtesy to give you a heads up about it, so for example, I'd come in one morning at 7:30am and find out management decided to schedule me until midnight to do a project. Forget your work-life balance! Do you have a family? That's too bad, they don't care. Also, make the most of that 30 minute lunch break because that's all you're getting that day!

The department was also the most disorganized place I've EVER worked. For legal reasons, we'd need to pull a file quickly and present it to our auditors, and 9 times out of 10 someone didn't put the file back where it belonged, which always resulted in an over-the-top rage fueled meltdown from management even if it wasn't your fault.

So, all I can say is if you are an HR professional, tread carefully if you are considering the Meadows for your place of work. These reviews on here aren't made up.

I learned a LOT on how to work around people with negative attitudes and it taught me a lot about how important it is to find an employer that deserves to have you work for them, and how to stand up for yourself, but I don't think I could've stayed a day more there than I did. The problem will continue and it won't get better. I've had several other former HR folks reach out to me almost as a support group to trade stories on how terrible it was. All I can say if you decide to accept a job there after reading this is, try to find the silver lining, tough it out, and find something better for yourself as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

Read these reviews, recognize the trends, and actually do something about it!

7. "Dealer, worked 4+ yrs"

Current Employee - Dealer in Washington, PA
    Current Employee - Dealer in Washington, PA

I have been working at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment to work in, good pay for low education. Great place for break in dealers to get there feet wet.

Cons

None that I can think of, off hand. Such a great experience to work for this company.

8. "Small company with BIG plans! Constantly seeking opportunities to improve both product and team."

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Washington, PA

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Owners are very customer and employee focused.
    Deliver on promises at any cost.

Cons

Very 'green' talent pool for the industry.
    High (60%) Gross Gaming State Tax Rate, making revenue goals and expansion projects a challenge.

"RUN! Save yourself!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the GM.

Cons

There are a lot of people there with big-shot attitudes, just because they work for a casino. There are some departments that are VERY respectful and wonderful (Racing Security is a great department), and other departments that need all the help they can get (Human Resources, as I've seen someone mention here before).

Here is the issue: the departments of employees that work on the floor have a rotating staff to cover night shift, swing shift, day shift, etc. So, the table games dealers, etc, don't always have to work long hours, because there is always a rotating staff to cover the next shift. BUT, if you work in the administrative end of things, the behind-the-scenes offices, there ISN'T a rotating staff. What does that mean? That means if there is an event, an employee picnic, etc, YOU are expected to work 12-14 hour days. Forget your personal life... Also, it doesn't really matter what department you are in. If it wasn't your department to put the event together, you still will be expected to be there to help.

The department I worked in, which I won't mention, was boarder line abusive. I honestly don't know how half of what went on in there was even legal. I think that they are a lawsuit waiting to happen.... for example, my director played favorites (which is by definition a form of harassment). If you aren't on her favorite list, then you aren't going to get anywhere. If you weren't a favorite, she was abusive, rude, and completely unprofessional, no matter how hard you worked. In order to be on her "favorite" list you have to adopt a really crumby attitude and stop acting like a professional. Needless to say, after time I realized that this was not going to be a place that I would fit in, and I was actually HAPPY to say I didn't fit in with them. They were definitely the strangest and most unprofessional group I have ever worked with. The amount of work that was expected of me for how much I was getting paid was laughable. In time, it wore on me and I left. I am so happy that I did, because now I'm in a job that not only has wonderful, respectful people, but also pays better, respects your personal time, and seems to be a company that is a million times more successful all around.

In the department I was in, you could work yourself to death and never get a raise or a promotion. I can't tell you how many times I heard the "favorite" of the department got promoted, or raises. I worked the equivalent of several employee's jobs, and I was a very hard worker, but it was never noticed.

My department was very juvenile. The one girl, who was the director's "favorite", would always have really nasty things to say about other people who works for the casino...and these are NICE people she would talk about. There just wasn't any logic in that department....they were very backwards in everything. They were a harassment lawsuit WAITING to happen. Personally, I don't want to work in a place that has those standards.

I hope that people will read this and consider another place to work... or, I hope at least people will read this and be careful of what department they are getting hired into.

Advice to Management

I think it would be good to go through some re-structuring of management. Really look into the departments that are having issues, or high turnover...THERE IS A REASON! I would re-evaluate anyone who is a manager/director, and see if they are fit to be a manager/director. The new company I am at would NEVER in a million years employ the person who was my director to even be a secretary. She doesn't have the right attitude to even be in a place of work. That's got to say something!!

I do like the GM, so I hope that they can pull it together. But, if I was in charge, there would have been particular departments that would have been re-structured right away to fix the problems. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would for the company's sake.

10. "Security Officer"

Pros

A good place to work with good benefits

Cons

Same repetitive stuff over and over again