The Media Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Barry Lowenthal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"This has been such an amazing place to begin my career in media!"

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn so much! Unlike other agencies, at TMK I have learned about programmatic, display, social, search and even finance. Everyone is so welcoming and eager to help you learn, who you are as a person is much more important than anything, we only want nice people!!! Overall, i only have good things to say about this agency

Cons

When i first started the direction of my roles/responsibilities wasn't clearly defined, kind of had to learn as i went along.

Advice to Management

Giving associates clearer direction of their roles at TMK

Jun 15, 2017 – President

This is really good feedback. We've heard it before and we're developing 1-sheets on lots of topics associates to need to know to make onboarding easier. The business seems to be getting more and... More

"Welcoming, Fun, Hard-Working Environment!"

Current Employee - Associate Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

From day one at TMK I've felt so welcomed. Everyone is so nice and friendly, and they really make an effort to include you (which is especially nice when lunchtime rolls around and you don't want to eat alone). I always have fun at work, but I also learn so much. My team has been incredible at teaching me the ins and outs of the position, both regarding what I do and what the company does as a whole. I've been given the opportunity to interact with the client, pull reports, create decks, and so much more in the time that I've been here. No matter what sort of question I have, there is always someone there to answer. Everyone is very transparent and honest with their feedback, which makes developing your skills very easy! I can't wait to continue learning from my peers and growing as a person!

Cons

The office is a little bit chilly, but other than that I really can't think of anything bad to say!

Advice to Management

Continue to implement learning opportunities like KBSU, they're great!

May 27, 2017 – President

Glad your first year has been so positive. I don't know if you heard but we've gotten a bunch of new associates together to help improve how we onboard new people. I hope you're part of that group... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I've never met people who are as innovative or passionate about their work. Just really nice, smart people.
    - If there's a test you want to do, you do it. Innovation is huge here.
    - There are frequent training opportunities, as well as reimbursement for relevant courses (i.e. Intro to SEO, Social Media Immersion). You're always learning.
    - Work on the Search Team and want to learn about Programmatic? Done. Upper Management prioritizes helping you grow through getting experience in other channels.

Cons

Not really a con, more of a growth opportunity, but there are quarterly, self, six month, and annual reviews. TMK values full transparency in how you're doing and where you stand in the agency, which can be slightly daunting. Feedback is important, it can just be slightly intimidating at first.

Advice to Management

Thanks for listening to your people.

"Strategist"

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such a great place to begin a career in media. I met so many amazingly smart people and learned a TON! Relaxed, work hard, play hard environment that fits my personality!

Cons

Hours can be long at times, pay isn't super high

Advice to Management

Keep up the helpful transparency!

Mar 31, 2017 – President

Hello! I'm really glad you think The Media Kitchen is a great place to work. Warms my heart. But I am concerned that you think the hours can be long. As you've probably discovered this is a cyclical... More

"Falling Apart Quickly"

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-TMK Edu/Learning Opportunities
    -Vacation policy
    -DJ Fridays

Cons

-Cliquey/Fake
    -Competitive/Cutthroat
    -Destructive workplace politics
    -Anonymous review system

Advice to Management

Barry cares about his employees on a personal level but seems to have lost interest in his agency at the team level which has many negative consequences. Overall the agency has great potential but a few bad practices and a few bad people at the leadership/management level have created a bad work environment for us at the lower level. The anonymous review system rewards deception over production.

May 5, 2017 – President

Thanks for your review. If you feel like TMK is falling apart I suggest you leave and find a another job. During your exit interview, please be as specific as possible so we can address your... More

"Associate Strategist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The occasional work parties (DJ Friday, Karaoke, Holiday party)

Cons

One of the first things Barry said to me when I met him was "I cannot promise that everyday you will be happy." That should have been an instant red flag. See below, and you'll understand why.

Work Life balance:
    -Lunch break? No one else does, so don't expect to take a lunch break or it will appear as if you're not working hard enough and your team will despise you.
    -Long hours: Expect to work past 7:30pm every day. If you don't, you will have a poor performance review for not putting in enough effort.

Lack of Transparency:
    -Honesty is what helps a team succeed. However at TMK, you will never know what your supervisors and peers really think of you until it comes down to your written performance review. Check ins don't matter as they are informal and there is no written record of it, regardless of the positive feedback you receive.

Lack of Training:
    -There is no formal training process implemented at TMK. You are expected to simply learn on the fly and already know everything about media even at the entry level.

Culture:
    -The environment is extremely cliquey. Expect to feel like you're in high school again. Best of luck if you're not able to get into a clique.

Advice to Management

Work on improving the cons listed above, and most importantly learn to put people first. Take the time to invest in your employees and treat them like real people, not machines.

Apr 29, 2017 – President

Wow, that's a horrible review. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience at TMK. I wish you would have told me you were so unhappy.

Also the reason I make that promise to every employee is because... More

7. "Media Strategist"

Pros

Cool location and office in Soho. Pay is above average for media

Cons

Small group, can be cliquey and hard to get promoted if external

Dec 5, 2016 – President

I'm glad you like the office and I'm assuming the new space has made it an easier place to work. I'm sorry you're having a hard time making friends (I assume that's what you mean by cliquey). But I... More

8. "A Review Four Years In The Making"

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came from one of the largest global media agencies with two years under my belt. I yearned for that "boutique" feel, without really knowing what it meant. I sought immediate client interaction. Siloed roles and responsibilities bored me. I was tired of big agency process. It dulled the work. I needed a challenge. Call me ambitious or maybe naive, but I had no idea how to even express it. I had no outlet. No platform. No megaphone. That is, until I came here.

The second you start you realize everyone around you is a cut above the rest. People are as sharp as they are ambitious. It's hard not to notice. The next thing you realize is that this place has everything. A president who gives a damn. A company name that's already well regarded within the industry. Friendly co-workers who know how to buy cross channel & traffic & speak in analytics. A wealth of resources surrounding you because you’re in the same office as other established agencies. There's talent teeming everywhere. Endless things to do and keep busy with.

Here's the truth about this place. Ready?

This place is what you make it. Nothing is given. Everything is still earned. On the surface, it's a place where you clock in and clock out. But beneath the surface, it's a breeding ground for knowledge, innovation and a place to realize true ambition. It's a place to leave your mark and built your brand.

Fast-forward four years and I’m still here. In those years, I've been published in Digiday, been quoted and appeared in podcasts, represented the company at conferences, built deep client relationships, led an internal team to work on special projects, worked with several start-ups and developed a specialty in Content marketing. And I’m not done. But that’s the point. That's the beauty of being here.

Cons

After hours dinner expense policy
    Needs to invest more heavily in office tech/better computers/laptops for everyone

Aug 11, 2016 – President

Thanks for your review! You made my day. We always tell people when they start we can't promise that every day will be a happy one. But we do promise them that they'll be more marketable tomorrow... More

9. "Welcoming, open and collaborative"

I worked at The Media Kitchen full-time

Pros

- The people are great - yes, the culture can be cliquey like other people mention, but I never cared about that, only about getting the best job done. My experience was that people are smart, open and collaborative on projects. I liked everyone I worked with and people always made time for me to explain, hear me out, or give feedback on an idea.
    - I worked on a larger account and the team was staffed well, both at TMK and also across the wider KBS org - very smart people who truly cared about the work
    - Quarterly meetings with management were a great way to hear what was going on in the company and voice your opinion on anything you felt was important
    - Management would tap people for help on new biz (exciting!) that play into people's strengths. Nice thing about a smaller agency like TMK is that you have a name and a face
    - There was collaboration among teams, especially if you were doing something for the first time and needed a resource or help - to me, this is exciting gaining additional exposure and working on pet projects with others beyond your scope
    - Senior leadership sets the stage for manners and respect for yourself and others which are often forgotten in our industry. In my first week, everyone on my team signed and we sent a physical, handwritten thank you note to a vendor who took us out after hours. I am still so impressed by this, because this is how it should be.
    - Standard industry benefits and the HR team was fabulous to coordinate with

Cons

- As a leader of a team, I had very little authority or influence on my team members' performance feedback, reviews or compensation - because of this, my team didn't look to me for advice or to solve problems, but rather my boss. A bit frustrating because this is part of managing a team and people would circumvent me
    - Quarterly review system was a bit extreme - but TMK was working to incorporate feedback into something a bit more tangible and applicable
    - Not much growth potential beyond when you achieve mid-management

Advice to Management

- Empower your team leaders
    - Keep up teaching proper manners in the workplace - it's a shame, but common courtesy and respect aren't found many places, but it is a pillar at TMK.

Aug 7, 2016 – President

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I'm glad you appreciate our commitment to workplace etiquette. 'Thank you' are two of the most important, meaningful and motivating words in the English language... More

10. "Small Company, Great Culture"

I have been working at The Media Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really supportive of each other and the President is unusually involved in the day-to-day. It's clear management cares about its people and continuously tries to improve. Unlimited vacation policy is great, and weekly summer parties in the office called DJ Fridays.

Cons

Limited resources: not everyone gets a laptop, which makes it very difficult to conduct client calls and meetings. Low cap on late night meals/expenses. Hunger-games-style review process conducted on a quarterly basis. Very antiquated media tools - MediaOcean is a nightmare!

Advice to Management

Fight hard to upgrade the technology - both hardware and software - to stay competitive with other agencies. Challenge group directors to test and learn, rather than just recycle old media plans.

Jul 18, 2016 – President

This is really great feedback (thank you!). I'm really curious about your comments around technology. If you came from another agency, can you let us know what technology you enjoyed using so we can... More