The Menninger Clinic Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
C. Edward Coffey, M.D.

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Menninger Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Numerous learning & training opportunities at all levels of the organization

Positions for a range of educational backgrounds from Bachelor's, Master's to PhD level staff

Expanding opportunities with a mental health club house, inpatient units, outpatient work, community integration program and new programs coming online in the next few years

Competitive salaries and fairly generous benefits

Promotion opportunities, especially with increased education and certification (I started as a PRN Mental Health Technician working primarily on the weekends, transitioned into a contract clinical position, then into a staff clinical position, and now continue to do some clinical work and am also a mid-level manager at the clinic -- these shifts took place over the course of 7 years)

Opportunities to earn extra income through the Menninger Outpatient/Extension Clinic for credentialed/licensed staff

Cons

The work is challenging and it's incumbent on staff to practice self-care to manage the stress that goes along with that

Advice to Management

Continue communicating about the direction and vision of the Clinic to staff

2. "Rewarding Job"

Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Mental Health Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Menninger Clinic full-time

Pros

Overall great place to work, friendly co-workers. Good health benefits and PTO. Great work/life balance. Good entry-level position to get experience in mental health field. Rewarding work.

Cons

Pay could be higher, better raises for nursing staff. Management should learn to utilize the internal talent of its current employees. Not much opportunity for career advancement for.

"Do not work at Pathfinder. Run away.."

Former Employee - Resident Adviser in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Resident Adviser in Houston, TX

Pros

Menninger Clinic is a prestigious place to work at. They have wonderful training and amazing minds working on client progress. The campus is beautiful and well done. The cafeteria food is great as well. I wish I had worked in the hospital since it seems so much more professional and put together. I have complete respect for The Menninger Clinic, however the program I worked at (Pathfinder) does not live up to the reputation I was drawn in with.

You get free food sometimes working at Pathfinder and do get to have some fun adventures when there's outings. There's a lot of funds to do activities with clients and depending on the amount of clients, you can have a good amount of interaction with them and work on fostering good interpersonal skills with them. You also have the chance to explore your own hobbies and passions if there's a way you can use them to connect with a client.
    For example, if you're really into comics and there's a client who really loves comics and you two click on it, management would be okay with you two going out to a comic convention on a weekend and would pay for your ticket as long as it's therapeutic in nature.

If you're looking for easy money, a job that doesn't require a lot of thinking, where you spend most of your time driving and texting clients, and doesn't have a lot of paperwork to fill, then this would be good for you. I also enjoyed working with the team of RA's; i made some strong bonds with good employees after all those 14hr shifts. It always killed me to see them just as sad as I was working there and not being able to live up to their full potential.

Overall the building is nice, the apartments are sometimes nice, depending on the clients living in their and how clean they are, and you don't have to drive your own vehicle. The supplied vehicles aren't too bad, except for a large white van.

RA position only works 3 days a week, 14 hr shifts.

Cons

I was lied to in my initial interview about the potential for job growth and my schedule and the actual nature of my job. I was promised many things and ultimately ended up being a driver and baby sitter for clients. And also ran errands, sometimes for clients and sometimes for my boss.
    EXTREMELY poor management.
    Extremely low morale amongst workers. Management doesn't seem to understand that they are the sole cause of the misery amongst their workers and instead blame the workers as opposed to trying to find the root of the problems (which is themselves). Managers micro-manage and don't seem to understand the nature of the very job role they created; they constantly change rules and procedures because they literally don't know what they actually are. Managers give unsolicited extremely negative career advice and make the workers feel horrible about themselves.

If you enjoy having boundaries with clients, throw those out the window because boundaries barely exist here.

Managers tell employees to not refer to factual instances of sexual harassment as sexual harassment, and then chastise employees for deciding to not engage with clients after said harassment. Management rather insists on employees getting closer to clients after sexual harassment (again, boundaries don't exist here)

Managers take everything personally, and don't seem to notice when employees actually go above and beyond their job description.

Managers hire people who are way over qualified for the position and expect them to perform job activities that are not in their job description and get mad at them for not doing the things not listed there. Job description is vague for that reason.

I've heard clinicians literally refer to clients as dogs.

The secretary there is notorious for yelling, having temper tantrums, causing a scene in front of clients, picking fights with employees and being the very definition of passive aggressive. She also likes to make new employees do her job for her (without any previous training or notice) while she can escape the office for a few hours and usually has the support from management when doing this.

The ethicality of how expensive the program is for clients (about $20,000 a month) (vs how little employees get paid) is also extremely questionable. Is it really ethical to recommend a client stay in a program for 6 months or longer when there's far better treatment options out there that are less expensive?

This place is a business primarily. There is no question about that. Employees, specifically RA's, are treated as less than humans who are expendable. It's such a shame they've let so much talent go. In the short span I was there, over 8 people from a variety of different positions quit. My boss didn't even look me in the eye for months after I was hired, much less check in with me and see how my new job was going. My other boss didn't even bother to really learn my name until maybe 4 months in. Mind you, it's a small building with about ~15 people there working on a business day. There's no excuse for treating employees as less than human.

Overall the work place is extremely unprofessional. I think the only reason this program is still running is because it brings in a lot of money for the hospital.

Also, the privacy rules for this place are extremely questionable.

Advice to Management

Having the two main managers as ONLY clinicians and not in charge of an actual team of people would make a lot of people very happy. Find people who solely work on office management. This place has so much potential and I wish it was better when I was there, maybe I would have stuck around.

"Great 1st post College job"

Current Employee - MHA in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - MHA in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Menninger Clinic (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are flexible with your schedule. Work with you and other responsibilities.

Cons

You really have no room to move up from this position.

"slice of heaven"

Former Employee - Call Center Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Call Center Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at The Menninger Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was wonderful working at Menninger. In fact, the best and friendliness environment I've ever worked in. Call center manager was always there to calmly help/guide me. All of the staff is friendly, I never felt divide. Pay and benefits were also great.

Cons

They moved too far for me to travel to daily.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

6. "Mental Health Associate"

Former Employee - Mental Health Associate in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Associate in Marietta, GA

I worked at The Menninger Clinic part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work, diverse, team players

Cons

Texas very humid and place hot place to live, transit system is not readily available

"Ok place but highly political"

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at The Menninger Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New campus, close to home, and basically can do the work you were hired to do.

Cons

Highly political, a lot of infighting between the executive team. All executive team members look out for their own area of responsibility and are quick to blame other areas for their faults.

Advice to Management

Executive team needs to get on the same page and speak with one voice. You think the employee base cannot see the division but they can and that is why there is so many issues between the employee base.

8. "My experience as a whole in the company is OK and I learned a lot."

Current Employee - Engineering Tech III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech III in Houston, TX

I have been working at The Menninger Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company is a stable employer and you can achieve growth on other areas.

Cons

The only challenges here is the equal opportunity for the employee.

Advice to Management

For the management to look into the right market pay scale of employee.

9. "Great experience, I really enjoy working with our patients"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice environment, team work, and enjoyable atmosphere. I really like my boss and his approach. I like my coworkers. I enjoy working with the patients most of all, because that is what it's all about!

Cons

It's cold sometimes (literally in my office).

Advice to Management

keep up good work, warm up the building I work in. :)

"Dead-end job for Degreed employees unless you are a nurse."

Current Employee - Degreed Mental Health Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Degreed Mental Health Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

Small company. Casual Fridays. Motivates you to do whatever you need to get another job.

Cons

Hard to get a day off. No advancement unless you are a nurse. No career ladder. Not paid for educational accomplishments or for longevity. NO weekend pay but you are required to work 2 weekends a month. HUGE turnover.

Advice to Management

The culture and atmosphere are lacking employee empowerment. Treatment issues of patients are sometimes scraped by new management in lieu of "customer service". Sometimes it feels like the patients are just a census number and revenue.