The Mill Reviews | Glassdoor

The Mill Reviews

Updated Dec 1, 2019

2.9
The Mill  CEO Robin Shenfield (no image)
Robin Shenfield
Pros
  • "Great people and building is good(in 11 reviews)

• "The Mill family is really nice and welcoming(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours, not great management(in 22 reviews)

• "Quick turn around for projects, long hours, low pay(in 7 reviews)

1. "I loved my time there."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Mill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best group of people I’ve ever worked with in all my years in post. From the runners, to the production staff, the artists, engineers and tech operators to upper management, I’ve met and worked alongside amazingly talented and good people during my time there. Benefits are great and they just really took good care of all of us.

Cons

Technicolor acquisition casted a pall over the entire place. In that you never know when you can be laid off, when the axe swings down once or twice per year. It’s the people who are above The Mill’s upper management (Read: Technicolor suits) that one must be wary of when working there.

The Mill 2019-05-03
  2. "Clique-y high school mean girls mentality"

Former Employee - Producer in New York, NY

I worked at The Mill full-time for more than a year

Pros

surrounded by great artists and a beautiful work environment

Cons

toxic work environment. not a place to feel supported.

The Mill 2019-12-02
  3. "Scam"

Former Employee - Runner

I worked at The Mill full-time for less than a year

Pros

Networking opportunity (maybe)-- position requires you to grovel while taking out the trash

Cons

Abusive, toxic work environment. The runner position replaces facilities with young interns working <40 hrs on a promise of an entry-level position.

The Mill 2019-11-21

"Stay away - not worth the name on your resume"

Former Employee - Digital Artist in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Mill full-time for less than a year

Pros

The name still carries weight in the industry so it might open doors when you leave. I guess tons of snacks and food is a pro if you care about that sort of thing.

Cons

Almost everything here is a con. The turnover is incredibly high and the reasons are blatantly obvious. It starts with horrendous pay for staff members. Freelancers are fairly well compensated but staff are grossly underpaid. The Mill - and most Technicolor entities - are known in the industry to low-ball in the worst ways. If you are looking to support a family, this is definitely not the place. If you are looking... to support yourself and put some extra on the side, this is also not the place. Furthermore, people are not getting raises. Wages have been extremely stagnant. During my time there I personally knew of a multitude of people who hadn't gotten a raise in 4 years. The Mill likes to spend a ton of money on fancy parties, snacks, food (that often lands in the trash) and other unnecessary garbage, yet somehow doesn't have the money to pay its employees an adequate rate. Second, the favoritism and bro culture. Actually, the culture as a whole. The artists that "grew up" with the Mill (meaning they started their careers there and haven't worked anywhere besides the Mill) are favored by management for prestigious projects and promotions. The people that have actual tangible experience - meaning those that have worked in feature film for example - are undervalued despite their superior expertise. I have personally experiences bro culture and borderline sexual harassment behind closed suite doors. If you are a woman, once again, not the place. If the favoritism and the passes that supervisors routinely get weren't so blatantly obvious, I probably would have gone to HR to report those offenses. The pipeline is horrendous. If you've ever worked in episodic or feature, you know what a pipeline should look like. The Mill does not have that. There's a lot of manual labor involved in getting things to work, things that should have long been automated. Additionally, overall the workflow is a complete mess. Often you will work on a shot that has long been omitted, with producers failing to tell your so. Or you will work on something that someone else is also working on, again no one informing you. There isn't a clear distribution of tasks and that type of mismanagement wastes a lot of time and energy. Last but not least, the projects in the Chicago office are of the lowest quality in all of the Mill offices. If you are expecting to get high quality experience here, this is the wrong office. You might get those projects in LA or NY but not in Chicago. For 2D artists it will be a lot of paint and roto and the little CG work this office does is very junior level. Hence, no real career development.

Advice to Management

Change everything. Get rid of the supervisors that pretend to know everything but don't have a clue and change the entire culture. Stop with this obvious favoritism and for God's sake pay your artists more!

The Mill 2019-11-11

"Bad management, even worse favoritism"

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at The Mill full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are young you can learn a lot about the industry as it seems most people there are also new or have come up from non-production positions. There is a lot of rotating staff and employees so one can move into other positions or departments when there are openings.

Cons

There are a lot of young people - management, producers, etc... - that are clearly new to the job and as a result there is a level of professionalism missing. The studio struggles to separate work and life and takes advantage of employees willing to work by not paying them enough and giving them plenty of hours. There is little to no ownership of projects or separation of departments so peoples job descriptions and... tasks are intermixed - resulting in confusion and 'double' work at times. Scheduling of projects is also poorly handled and week to week could be dramatically different - sometimes 5-6 projects start on same day and other times there is 1-2. I realize that's dependent on outside forces but work suffers when you take on too much work without regards to how its going to be done, i.e. communicating with necessary teams. COMMUNICATION IS TERRIBLE STUDIO WIDE.

Advice to Management

Hire knowledgeable people without regards to personal relationships - stop promoting friends to fill positions without the necessary skills. Managers should be personable and willing to communicate with team members. BE PRESENT and communicate with team when you aren't going to be available for a week or more. This is the only place I've worked where my managers wouldn't communicate their vacation/out of office so... never knew what to expect day-to-day or week-to-week.

The Mill 2019-09-12

"Good company but terrible at growth"

Current Employee - Runner in New York, NY

I have been working at The Mill full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great people -Fun culture -Creative work -Cool location and office

Cons

-Terrible pay -Bad at growth -Lay offs

Advice to Management

Value your lower-paid employees and not just the top tier

The Mill 2019-06-14

"Amazing Talent, Poor Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Mill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Greatest group of people I've worked with. The majority of the talent is amazing at what they do – truly some of the best!

Cons

Executive Management (EPs, some heads of departments), don't objectively run their teams. There is a clique-like aspect, they lean heavily into favoritism and emotions, and little is based on performance and/or execution of work. It is very political and strictly hierarchical – there is little opportunity for upward advancement unless you have a personal (and unprofessional) relationship with higher ups. Requires... you to play the game *really* hard. Additionally, no bonuses (though verbally new hires are told there are) and no cost of living salary adjustments.

The Mill 2019-05-08

"The “cool factor” isn’t worth the headache unless you’re inexperienced"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at The Mill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with - Most people there are incredibly talented. Lots of the work that comes out of this company has won awards in the past (keyword PAST).

Cons

Horrible management - I cant stress this enough. 90% of the managers are inept at the actual people management part of the job, therefore turnover is high (for the past several months we’d receive farewell emails from multiple people per week), and morale is low. They ply you with alcohol at every turn, so you can forget about the nepotism, eurocentrism, hostile work envoronment (yup), and unrealistic expectations.... Technicolor’s acquisition has stifled The Mill’s creativity, warped their vision, and stomped out employees’ hunger for innovation. And the last round of layoffs in April 2019? Bloodbath. There are much healthier places to work, which will pay you what you’re worth.

Advice to Management

Train your managers to foster the development of these extremely talented, hungry minds. And for god’s sake, put together an org chart!

The Mill 2019-05-10

"Good Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Resource Manager

I worked at The Mill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in this department allowed me to see how so many projects work in the company. It's a great position to learn how to problem solve, negotiate with others, and get better at quick solutions.

Cons

This department is often the first to blame in any issue on a project; and it's usually not our fault. There's a lot of stress in production and I often see it taken out on the scheduling department. New management also has the structure going toward a bad way; it may fiscally make more sense but I imagine the growing pains will hurt the legacy it has built over the years. It would also be better to spend less on... the frills; they spend so much on food and alcohol, but pay minimum wage to some of the harder working staff.

Advice to Management

Fight harder for the minimum wage employees, their work is underappreciated and losing them would cause a lot of issues... and you're not far from that happening.

The Mill 2019-04-10
  10. "Good projects, long hours"

Current Employee - 3D Artist in New York, NY

I have been working at The Mill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the best jobs in the city come through here.

Cons

Hours can be long, depending on the job.

Advice to Management

More even schedules would be nice

The Mill 2019-03-07