The Morning Call Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert York
1 Rating

1. "Advertising Account Executive"

Current Employee - Advertising Account Executive in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Advertising Account Executive in Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Morning Call full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've really formed some great friendships at The Morning Call. If you do the job you're paid to do and what's expected of you as an adult, it's a long term career. Don't fluff things, be honest when you need help, there are managers and co workers that will support you.

The company truly believes in training its sales staff on an ongoing basis. The morning Call truly offers so many advertising products, it's necessary to have specialists for these products. We are a true media group with products that can reach just about every niche audience.

Commissions are uncapped.
    Decent amount of time off.
    Great community involvement.
    Ticket perks.
    401k
    Medical benefits

Cons

Systems are so cumbersome.

There are always pros & cons to every job, overall a decent place to work. It could be better, I hope my input sheds some light on my concerns.

Advice to Management

We hire too many employees right out of college for apprentice positions and they're moved to a territory position too soon.

Too many last minute mandatory meetings.

Some managers need to get out on the road with their newly hired reps, if you're constantly with another manager most of the day, dismiss your sales reps, skip 1on1's, make them hang around the office for hours wondering if they still have a Meeting, because their managers are behind closed doors the whole time.

As a manager, if you don't respect your employees time in their eyes your sending a message that they don't matter. It's understandable that sometimes important things come up, but this has now become an every week event.

As a manager, I believe at least 20 hours of your work week should be developing your reps on the road, not spending most of your day with management.

"Once was great...not so much anymore"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Morning Call full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

it's a job? is that considered a "pro"?

Cons

Too many points to list. Management is horrible, only in it for themselves, workforce cut so drastically, and all the ones who are left receive an increased workload with no bonus or compensation. Receive goals only to have them changed a few business days before the end of the quarter or they totally revise the commission plan at the last minute to where you cannot make your goal. I hear all the time about the "good ole days". So far away from that time, its not even funny. However, benefits are decent.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees that work hard and care about their jobs, and you wont keep losing the great ones to competitors.

3. "Morning Call"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with over time. The newbies had a problem knowing what team work and work ethic was.

Cons

Management had no clue what was going on. Only cared about themselves. No pay raises due to bankruptcy for 8 years. Hard to live without compensation for hard work.

Advice to Management

Wouldn't matter even if I did offer it.

The Morning Call Response

Oct 12, 2016 – Talent Engagement Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Our management team recognizes that our employees are critical to our continuing success. As we execute on our strategy & achieve greater financial results, we’ll ... More

"Don't waste your time. Keep looking."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stroudsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stroudsburg, PA

I worked at The Morning Call (More than a year)

Pros

There were a few people that were wonderful to work with and made the job more bearable. Overtime was allowed as long as there was work to be done.

Cons

The longer I was with The Morning Call, the more I began to wonder why I was hired to be a part of a "creative" team in the first place. The last thing this place wanted was creativity, and management went so far as to take creative abilities away from the advertising department on premium products. They considered (without bothering to ask about processes) things like styling text to be taking too much time and basically want their magazines to resemble their somewhat lifeless newspaper.

Management would rarely listen to people under them so strategic thinking wasn't a strong suit of the company. There was absolutely no room to move up in the position I was in. Managers would constantly walk past our department on their cell phones checking to make sure we weren’t doing anything other than our job. We were told we laugh too much. Low pay. Account reps would take the roll of Art Director and not show clients proofs until they were designed the way the rep wanted them with no consideration of the client.

One of the biggest jokes while I was there was the fact that they are a communications business and that's the last thing the departments had between each other.

Tronc.

Advice to Management

Some people there have good ideas. Listen to them.

You hired your employees. Trust them to do their jobs.

"Good first job, terrible beyond that."

Former Employee - Digital Account Executive in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Executive in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance, a lot of free time, good pay when you do hit goal, independent work structure, nice people

Cons

It was evident this place had no idea of their business strategy. It was always throwing stuff at the wall to see what would stick and the strategies and initiatives would change from week to week with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

They like to pretend they're a digital forward company but in reality they're just a revolving door of old school sales mentality that has no place in a competitive and strategic digital world with absolutely no vision from upper management.

This would be fine except upper management is making 3x what most people are, yet they have the least amount of knowledge about the products or strategy involved to sell said products.

If you're a young college kid, this is a great job to make $20k/year after taxes while working hard to sell products to a client base who don't really want to talk/meet with you despite upper management's arrogance that they're the only game in town like it's 1995 still.

They will inevitably blame you for not being able to secure meetings with these clients, yet in my time there I don't remember more than a handful of times hearing about a manager actually securing a large deal themselves.

If you do manage to make some traction and end up with a good book of business, they'll pay you well, until you do it too often and your goals will randomly skyrocket to an unobtainable level. This combined with a random and ever-changing compensation plan, it's enough to make your head spin.

In addition, they rely on revenue from a few select sources to prop up the whole entire business. Even if you're a motivated and great salesperson, this place will frustrate you to no end.

While I did learn a few things while there, i wouldn't recommend this job to anyone as a permanent career path. As a stop-gap or first job or resume filler? Sure. Beyond that, do yourself a favor and pass or you'll find yourself as one of the many casualties of a disorganized and declining company.

Oh yeah, and then there's TRONC.

Advice to Management

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. "Not bad, but not great"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Launching new products/solutions to stay current in the market, number one media outlet in the Lehigh Valley, freedom to run your own book of business.

Cons

low pay, inconsistent commission structure, unorganized management, high turn over, employees expected to do more with less.

Advice to Management

Have higher value for your employees, allow reps to sell all products or at least split the deal so that multiple reps aren't calling into the same account trying to sell against each other. Embrace all of your products/solutions instead of hyping it up and then turning all of your focus back to the newspaper ads which aren't evolving.

8. "Working for a dying industry is very depressing..."

Former Employee - Editorial in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Editorial in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time

Pros

It is the news industry, so if you work in the editorial department there are opportunities to be creative and always learn new things and meet new people.

Cons

But the place is nothing like it was in its heyday, and those left running the newsroom are basically those who were always on the bottom of the barrel. Now, they are the only ones left because they can't get a job anywhere else. And they are pretty much incompetent old white guys in their 50s who just talk and watch sports - instead of the news! The benefits also to be good, but now they are just as bad as most other places - or actually worse!.

Advice to Management

Get a reality check and go see the world. You have no idea what s actually going on outside the walls of your cubicle or office let alone beyond the Lehigh Valley.

9. "Great news team"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in Allentown, PA

I have been working at The Morning Call full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great working environment, co-workers are very kind and talented. It's easy to be successful at this company.

Cons

Not a very exciting location compared to surrounding areas, salary freeze for several years. Not sure what the future holds company-wide with recent spinoff into separate broadcast and publishing business.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Company does not care about employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

easy commute, got to meet a lot of people (good & bad). pay not great but not bad.

Cons

management doesn't care about the safety, or well-being of its employees. way to much butt kissing and favoritism. There is no confidentiality between management and it's employees, and if you associate with the right crowd you can get away with murder!

Advice to Management

get your heads out of each-others butts and learn to appropriately manage your departments.

11. "Great Camaraderie but unrealistic goals, undefined territories - make sure you ask a lot of questions before joining"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Allentown, PA

I worked at The Morning Call full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Everyone is a joy to work with
    -You won't be glued to your desk all day
    - Good money (if you make goal)
    - Ad assistants are great to work with

Cons

- Unrealistic goals--sometimes double of previous year
    - Some managers need to get a grasp of their reps territories and not assume that there a 1000 of advertisers
    - Territories are not defined to a particular Rep. This means that you won't have some advertisers that are prominent in your turf. You're stuck calling on small places with limited budgets.
    - Good accounts are given to some "chosen" reps
    - Training is Blah
    - Way too many daily reports
    - Newspaper is losing its reputation with LV residents

Advice to Management

- Listen ,I mean really listen, to your reps
    - Before setting goals, analyze each territory