The Mosaic Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Mosaic Company Reviews

1.0
Joc O’Rourke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance and overall compensation package (in 6 reviews)

• Mosaic has good benefits, a good message and worldwide opportunities (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be put on shift work without agreeing to that (in 3 reviews)

• Company experienced a crisis during 2016 from company related environmental issues (in 3 reviews)

"disappointed"

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Plymouth, MN

I worked at The Mosaic Company (More than 3 years)

Pros

None to mention. Poor management

Cons

Need to hire and train more people of color and ethnic background.

Advice to Management

stop being color blind

"Selfish Managers"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Mosaic Company full-time

Pros

Competitive pay
    Friendly people in the field

Cons

Managers will hold you back if you do your job too well

Advice to Management

Develop a culture that rewards people for performing above expectations

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The Mosaic Company full-time

Pros

fortune 500 company with a great message

Cons

no growth
    no balance
    no ability to change
    no learning opportunities
    Bad managers
    no one cares

"DO NOT JOIN"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company (Less than a year)

Pros

big company and they talk a good game

Cons

no growth
    no opportunities
    unrealistic expectations
    old boys network
    they need trained monkeys not employees
    do not think or make any suggestions for improvement

Advice to Management

Get rid of your HR /Recruiting Department

"pathetic HR"

Current Employee - NONE
    Current Employee - NONE

Pros

i don't know as i was not employed here

Cons

HR is quite pathetic, they called me without scheduling for an interview, asked some random question about relocation and all; and after few days i got an email suggesting that i was not selected, and you cannot do anything.

Advice to Management

please see that such insane activity are not performed

"Not a company I would work for again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

I had some very serious medical problems while working for Mosaic. I had to spend several weeks in the hospital. I also spent another month and a half recovering at home. After returning to work everything was great for a few months, then I got fired for having to attend to many medical appointments. Not a company I would work for again.

"Mosaic Fall Engineering Co-op"

Pros

I got paid. I got to put it on my resume.

Cons

Terrible. Bad planning - when I arrived for my first day, there was confusion about who my manager was. Ended up calling random people around the plant until someone was willing to accept me as their intern. Worked in the shipping department, with zero applicability to mechanical engineering, which I promised exposure and experience. Did a whole lot of nothing. Sitting around. Manager didn't know what to do with me. Bad planning from the top all the way down.

"Don't believe the hype!"

Former Employee - Laborer in Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Laborer in Plant City, FL

Pros

The salary was good lots of potential to make some serious money

Cons

That facility fosters a lot of negative behaviors and management is fully aware but plans on doing nothing about it. People are basically left to fend for themselves, the way these guys talk to each other in the break room during lunch was downright jaw dropping!

Advice to Management

Funny thing about this company, I noticed it does two things well, conceal the back breaking part (laborers pos.) in the interview/ job posting, and keeping employees around that want nothing to do with the company.
    The reality is this company pays well but the way the resources are distributed would make anyone question the stability of the company.
    CF industries in Plant City was acquired by Mosaic. While I was there, what I found there was a lot of employees that were good at playing hide-and-go seek. They would start a job and take multiple breaks and sometimes winding up either in the tool room or in the lead man’s office, just shooting the breeze. In fact there were jobs that never even got completed or the job at hand did not get the detail attention because employees continuously looking for a way out. Many jobs were getting half hearted attempts.
    Very surprised at the culture at the plant city facility!!! Very barbaric, even kind of threatening and nobody seemed to care, it seem like it was all part of the landscape. I worked in the B-Phos Acid Plant with the HYDRO-BLAST team, and my first impression was that the facility seemed run down and so was the culture. That facility fosters a lot of negative behaviors and management is fully aware but plans on doing nothing about it. People are basically left to fend for themselves.
    The "back breaking labor" and the added risk associated with dealing with a plant that's continuously dripping liquid on you as you walk by doesn't even seem worth it. I can go on and on about some of the disappointing atrocities that I saw. The bathrooms made you think, I'll hold it, or rather go outside. The break room was way too small for the amount of employees. Back to the culture, the way these guys talk to each other in the break room during lunch was downright jaw dropping!
    The advice I got multiple times from others that seem like “the golden rule” keep to yourself and don’t say anything to anyone, in your first year. Does that seem like anyway to live to anyone? Seems like jailhouse rules to me.
    Overall, not a very inviting place to work. My opinion about this place is they get two thumbs down. I’ve somehow missed Mosaic’s reputed culture that I’ve heard so much about…….

"It could have been better.........."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carlsbad, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carlsbad, NM

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The chance to live in New Mexico and be close to home. Every once in awhile a person finds a direct manager they truly respect, I found that at this site.

There is knowledge sharing that goes on between all sites, both formal and informal. One gets to meet and exchange ideas with professionals from Florida and Canada.

Cons

The Carlsbad site is essentially alcohol fueled. There are many individuals who get together during the weekdays or use any company travel event as an excuse to get hammered. Unfortunately this type of behavior is condoned, encouraged and participated in by upper management. In one particular instance the senior manager pointed to a junior engineer during a company function and announced that everyone was to put there drinks on his tab. The next day the junior engineer had to submit an expense report for $5000 which was promptly signed and he was sent on his way. If one has any type of sensibility and refuses to participate in these types of behaviors they are ostracized and not part of the "promotional group". When people talk about the issue, it is shrugged off with the usual comment that it was because the Canadians were present and they like to drink.

The site has severe safety issues. Part of it is being an 80 year old mine, part of it is lack of attention. Every year MSHA is shutting down the mine due to safety concerns. During year one working there, a shaft leading down to the main workings was shut down due huge chunks of rock spalling off. During year two one of the tunnels collapsed between shifts which was sheer luck otherwise people would have been killed. That shut down the underground workings for two months. Last year a huge storage shed collapsed because 50 years of dust was allowed to accumulate on the steal I-beams, harde and solidify and overstressing the structure. There were people working inside the shed in bulldozers when this happened. This is a scary place to work.

It is a tough social environment at the Carlsbad site. The people from town are very cliquish. As one old timer put it "they will never be friends with you, you will never be one of them, the best that can happen is they will accept you as part of the landscape". In other parts of New Mexico the people are warm and welcoming, Carlsbad is cold and clannish. Many are relocated Okie's or Texans which might have something to do with it.

There is a strong resentment by the general workforce against those who have any type of education. Since management is back-filling mid level management slots with 20 something engineers who have very little idea what they are doing, this resentment only grows. Carlsbad itself is roughly 50% Hispanic and 50% white. Yet there is no one past the supervisor level who is Hispanic. Since no one in the old guard has any education past high school this should not be the case (they were all on a level playing field). There is a pretty clear indication of Disparate Treatment going on or at the minimum, Adverse Impact discrimination.

Advice to Management

You are managing mine sites in Canada, Florida and New Mexico from headquarters in Minnesota where there is only an office building. You are out of touch. For example, issuing blanket initiatives such as banning all cutting instruments from the site (scissors, utility knives, etc.) because someone onsite cut themselves is a knee-jerk, ridiculous response. Try coming down from the ivory tower and live the life of a miner for a day, a week or a month.

"IT in Riverview (AOC) needs reshaping (Managers and Directors)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

I have been working at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like the previous poster stated, there are some talented minds here especially in Enterprise and Security.

Cons

Some of the directors have no clue what is going on in their industry, too many Chiefs not enough Indians. This place reminds me of a incompetent Cuba with its arrogance, dictatorship and division.

Advice to Management

Bring the directors to AOC more often instead of leading from a great distance. Recognize the hard-workers and not the slackers.