The Mosaic Company Reviews | Glassdoor

The Mosaic Company Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good work life balance and overall compensation package (in 5 reviews)

• Great company with great benefits and savings plans (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You can be put on shift work without agreeing to that (in 3 reviews)

• Fertilizer markets are cyclical, and are currently very unfavorable (in 3 reviews)

"Not a company I would work for again"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

I had some very serious medical problems while working for Mosaic. I had to spend several weeks in the hospital. I also spent another month and a half recovering at home. After returning to work everything was great for a few months, then I got fired for having to attend to many medical appointments. Not a company I would work for again.

"Don't believe the hype!"

Former Employee - Laborer in Plant City, FL
    Former Employee - Laborer in Plant City, FL

Pros

The salary was good lots of potential to make some serious money

Cons

That facility fosters a lot of negative behaviors and management is fully aware but plans on doing nothing about it. People are basically left to fend for themselves, the way these guys talk to each other in the break room during lunch was downright jaw dropping!

Advice to Management

Funny thing about this company, I noticed it does two things well, conceal the back breaking part (laborers pos.) in the interview/ job posting, and keeping employees around that want nothing to do with the company.
    The reality is this company pays well but the way the resources are distributed would make anyone question the stability of the company.
    CF industries in Plant City was acquired by Mosaic. While I was there, what I found there was a lot of employees that were good at playing hide-and-go seek. They would start a job and take multiple breaks and sometimes winding up either in the tool room or in the lead man’s office, just shooting the breeze. In fact there were jobs that never even got completed or the job at hand did not get the detail attention because employees continuously looking for a way out. Many jobs were getting half hearted attempts.
    Very surprised at the culture at the plant city facility!!! Very barbaric, even kind of threatening and nobody seemed to care, it seem like it was all part of the landscape. I worked in the B-Phos Acid Plant with the HYDRO-BLAST team, and my first impression was that the facility seemed run down and so was the culture. That facility fosters a lot of negative behaviors and management is fully aware but plans on doing nothing about it. People are basically left to fend for themselves.
    The "back breaking labor" and the added risk associated with dealing with a plant that's continuously dripping liquid on you as you walk by doesn't even seem worth it. I can go on and on about some of the disappointing atrocities that I saw. The bathrooms made you think, I'll hold it, or rather go outside. The break room was way too small for the amount of employees. Back to the culture, the way these guys talk to each other in the break room during lunch was downright jaw dropping!
    The advice I got multiple times from others that seem like “the golden rule” keep to yourself and don’t say anything to anyone, in your first year. Does that seem like anyway to live to anyone? Seems like jailhouse rules to me.
    Overall, not a very inviting place to work. My opinion about this place is they get two thumbs down. I’ve somehow missed Mosaic’s reputed culture that I’ve heard so much about…….

3. "Fantastic Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time

Pros

I enjoyed every day I worked at the Mosaic Company in Minnesota. The company believes in a solid work/life balance. The executives promote company-wide programs to assist in the community and also to create a closer relationship with fellow employees in different departments by allowing various events throughout the year.

Cons

For me, it was a long drive with no option to work remotely during the bad Minnesota winters.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees' ideas and recommendations for future growth and change opportunities.

"Exciting to start, frustrating to progress"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lithia, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Lithia, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great crew to supervise, amazing safety program

Cons

1 hour drive to work, alternating days and nights 12 hr shifts in the same week. Direct management was not educated and only used old school methods.

Advice to Management

Get to know your people they are your greatest assets. Get out into the mine and observe multiple shifts more than once a week.

"It could have been better.........."

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carlsbad, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carlsbad, NM

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The chance to live in New Mexico and be close to home. Every once in awhile a person finds a direct manager they truly respect, I found that at this site.

There is knowledge sharing that goes on between all sites, both formal and informal. One gets to meet and exchange ideas with professionals from Florida and Canada.

Cons

The Carlsbad site is essentially alcohol fueled. There are many individuals who get together during the weekdays or use any company travel event as an excuse to get hammered. Unfortunately this type of behavior is condoned, encouraged and participated in by upper management. In one particular instance the senior manager pointed to a junior engineer during a company function and announced that everyone was to put there drinks on his tab. The next day the junior engineer had to submit an expense report for $5000 which was promptly signed and he was sent on his way. If one has any type of sensibility and refuses to participate in these types of behaviors they are ostracized and not part of the "promotional group". When people talk about the issue, it is shrugged off with the usual comment that it was because the Canadians were present and they like to drink.

The site has severe safety issues. Part of it is being an 80 year old mine, part of it is lack of attention. Every year MSHA is shutting down the mine due to safety concerns. During year one working there, a shaft leading down to the main workings was shut down due huge chunks of rock spalling off. During year two one of the tunnels collapsed between shifts which was sheer luck otherwise people would have been killed. That shut down the underground workings for two months. Last year a huge storage shed collapsed because 50 years of dust was allowed to accumulate on the steal I-beams, harde and solidify and overstressing the structure. There were people working inside the shed in bulldozers when this happened. This is a scary place to work.

It is a tough social environment at the Carlsbad site. The people from town are very cliquish. As one old timer put it "they will never be friends with you, you will never be one of them, the best that can happen is they will accept you as part of the landscape". In other parts of New Mexico the people are warm and welcoming, Carlsbad is cold and clannish. Many are relocated Okie's or Texans which might have something to do with it.

There is a strong resentment by the general workforce against those who have any type of education. Since management is back-filling mid level management slots with 20 something engineers who have very little idea what they are doing, this resentment only grows. Carlsbad itself is roughly 50% Hispanic and 50% white. Yet there is no one past the supervisor level who is Hispanic. Since no one in the old guard has any education past high school this should not be the case (they were all on a level playing field). There is a pretty clear indication of Disparate Treatment going on or at the minimum, Adverse Impact discrimination.

Advice to Management

You are managing mine sites in Canada, Florida and New Mexico from headquarters in Minnesota where there is only an office building. You are out of touch. For example, issuing blanket initiatives such as banning all cutting instruments from the site (scissors, utility knives, etc.) because someone onsite cut themselves is a knee-jerk, ridiculous response. Try coming down from the ivory tower and live the life of a miner for a day, a week or a month.

6. "Mosaic Fertilizer, LLC Review"

Former Employee - Safety Administrator in Mulberry, FL
    Former Employee - Safety Administrator in Mulberry, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being in safety, training was an integral part of the job culture.

Cons

Above all the company exceeds in safety policies, training and the evaluation of employees connectivity.

7. "process engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Precess Engineer in Minn City, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Precess Engineer in Minn City, MN

I have been working at The Mosaic Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the biggest fertilizer production company in America. High paying company in the area. Lots of opportunity for professional growth. The company will help employees expand their talent.

Cons

The people on shift work have a hared time balancing their personal and professional lives. The 8 hour shift is exhausting and grueling. Promotion opportunities are seldom.

Advice to Management

pay more attention in china market

"Stepping Stone Job"

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Tampa, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay you enough that you don't really care.

Cons

Everyone has one single job and it gets boring.

Advice to Management

Stand behind your employees

"IT in Riverview (AOC) needs reshaping (Managers and Directors)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverview, FL

I have been working at The Mosaic Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Like the previous poster stated, there are some talented minds here especially in Enterprise and Security.

Cons

Some of the directors have no clue what is going on in their industry, too many Chiefs not enough Indians. This place reminds me of a incompetent Cuba with its arrogance, dictatorship and division.

Advice to Management

Bring the directors to AOC more often instead of leading from a great distance. Recognize the hard-workers and not the slackers.

"Good job but management is on a power trip and they fire people left and right."

Former Employee - Inventory Procurement Specialist in Lithia, FL
    Former Employee - Inventory Procurement Specialist in Lithia, FL

I worked at The Mosaic Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers and good hours.

Cons

The managers of procurement (Julia, Candace, Robert) are on huge power trips. I worked for Mosaic for 7 months and I saw at least 10 people get fired for no reason. They try to intimidate you to make themselves feel important. Mosaic is a great company to work for but working in the procurement department you have to deal with the managers who will find a way to fire you. They don't care about you as a person.

Advice to Management

No room for advancement.