The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Mosena

Pros
  • The museum itself is a great environment and the coworkers on your level are phenomenal (in 4 reviews)

• Free Parking in their garage is a plus (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does everything they can to prevent you from being full time and getting benefits (in 5 reviews)

• There was very little cross-department collaboration due to what I perceived as department heads unable to get along (in 2 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Group Center Facilitator I in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Group Center Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun-loving people
    Great company perks

Cons

Lack of stability in hours for hourly employees

2. "Guest experience team."

Former Employee - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fun place to work. You feel like you're making a difference in educating people re: sciences. Opportunities for extra cash available (night events, etc).

Cons

Pay could be better. Management does everything they can to prevent you from being full time and getting benefits. Almost everyone is hired "temporary" so they can let you go whenever and deny you unemployment. Experience doesn't matter when it comes to pay. Every couple of years during "routine budget cuts" there are massive layoffs of the most crucial staff (tho positions in the offices are nice and cushy but you have to know someone to move up). Management treats you like you're replaceable 99% of the time.

Advice to Management

Employees are human beings.

"Loved my coworkers but management leaves alot to be desired"

Former Employee - Administration Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administration Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People
    Benefits (free parking and entry)
    Fun
    Prestigious
    Interesting

Cons

Bad managers
    Low pay
    No advancement
    Micro management style
    Cliques

Advice to Management

You have dedicated staff who love this museum. Why in earth would you allow a poor management style from a couple of VPs let the dedicated employees feel forced to leave a job they loved? They didn't stay because you paid them well they did it because they believed in the MSI mission but top management office turns a blind eye to awful VPs while dedicated staff flee. Take a look at your directors to see which departments are losing staff regularly!

4. "Fun for a while"

Current Employee - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great coworkers. Well compensated for the work, but it is not a living wage.

Cons

Playing improv games every morning.

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with intelligent, passionate people. The Museum is world renowned and is a dynamic environment. It is well funded and gets interesting exhibits.

Cons

Department heads can be territorial and petty. The President encourages competition amongst them and many times they wind up fighting for his approval and it stunts the growth of their departments and the Museum.

Advice to Management

Spend your energy competing with other Museums not each other. Find a way to work together so that everyone benefits. Many Rock Stars can exist under the same roof

"Great place to work, temporarily"

Former Employee - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (More than 3 years)

Pros

The museum itself is a great environment and the coworkers on your level are phenomenal. There wasn't much better than seeing people get excited about science

Cons

Little to no way to move up, often treated like children by management and not allowed to express what we really felt, eventually this got exhausting and depressing and it was time to leave.

Advice to Management

Realize the talent that you have on your teams and create ways to give your employees more freedom and responsibilities without stifling them. Go back to actually doing science and not running an amusement park.

"Foodservice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing museum. Friendly staff. Lots of history.

Cons

As a 3rd party employee, not viewed as part of the MSI team

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive of those that help you be as successful as you are

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Guest Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Guest Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great work environment, great coworkers. Super flexible. You can bring family and friends in to explore the museum if you talk to your manager ahead of time. Managers are nice and it can lead to a permanent position if you're reliable and hard working.

Cons

The position is only temporary unless they extend you or you become permanent. Other than that, the only other complaint is a lack of synchronization among the leadership team at the top.

9. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is the largest Science museum on the Western Hemisphere so there are thousands of people you get to interact with daily. It is interactive oppose to stop read and go like other museums so the excitement and activity from the guest is contagious.

Cons

There aren't many cons for this job. If you work in the Group Center with the field trips then be prepared to work outside in all types of weather.

Advice to Management

None. Management does a great job on keeping up with the needs and morale of the team. Management addresses their employers first when its time to change or fix something withing its department.

"Recommended with hesitation"

Current Employee - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fun and unique work environment, talented coworkers

Cons

Constant understaffing, lack of advancement opportunity and managerial support

Advice to Management

Trust your team and be consistent in enforcing policy. Compensation could be better.