The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) Reviews | Glassdoor

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2019

Found 78 reviews

3.3
The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) CEO David Mosena (no image)
David Mosena
Pros
  • "It is well funded and gets interesting exhibits(in 9 reviews)

• "Great work environment, great coworkers(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Management does everything they can to prevent you from being full time and getting benefits(in 6 reviews)

• "I fear that MSI will continue to hemorrhage employees if some of their toxic policies remain unchecked(in 5 reviews)

1. "Supportive of Employees"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked here in multiple capacities over the past few years, the Museum as a whole has been very supportive of all the employees.

Cons

It's really hard to think of a con, but perhaps that the departments are siloed...but I have seen progress over the years.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-05-09
  2. "Toxic & Secretive"

Former Employee - Facilitator in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers & interesting content. And that's it.

Cons

They like to put the air of secrecy on everything they do, the workers are underpaid and overworked. They play the game of favorites constantly. Once you have gotten under the watching eye of someone who has it out for you, you should always have a foot out the door already cause they are going to kick you out as soon as they find something. They like to breed a toxic work enviorment, but then try and say that it's employee engagement that's the problem and the fact that they are overworking everyone. They have blackout days that basically mean you can't call off. Though that plays back into favorites. They punish you for trying to seek improvement and even go as far as will congratulate you on your work and then promptly write you up for it in the same breath. Infantilization of the workers to the point of you can do nothing.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-09-12
  3. "Unorganized & boring"

Former Employee - Exhibit Design in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time for less than a year

Pros

-flexible w time -nice people

Cons

-not a lot of money -unorganized system -not a lot of designers

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-07-26
  4. "Great Place! Management has a little work"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time for more than a year

Pros

MSI is always doing something. The people here are lovely.

Cons

Management could focus a little more on the employees future.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-04-23
  5. "A great place to hone your collaboration skills."

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MSI is full of supportive team players.

Cons

It has a tough time keeping talent.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-03-07
  6. "A Fun and Interesting Work Environment"

Current Employee - Facilitator I

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique work environment. Great benefits. Flexible schedule - has been wonderful working with my school schedule. Free parking garage for employees.

Cons

It's hard to move up in the company.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-02-11

May 29, 2019Talent Partner

Thanks for your review and for summing up a few of the things our employees love about working here! It’s true that with over 35% of our total staff on the front lines, there are fewer promotional opportunities than there are people who are interested in growing their career here. We are committed to the professional development of our staff, and encourage you to schedule a meeting with the Talent team to further discuss your career goals and how we can support you in achieving them.

Continue reading

"It is a wonderful place to work, until reality sets in."

Former Employee - Guest Experiences - Facilitator I in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working in an informal education setting is exactly as fun and fulfilling as you think it would be – especially in such an interesting setting. You get to work hand-on with guests of all backgrounds, and present some truly amazing science content. It is really great knowing that your work can be inspiring and captivating. I lived to see the sheer excitement that I brought about, and in knowing that I am potentially reaching those that many not otherwise have access to proper science content. It was enough to help me look past some of the issues.

Cons

. . .That being said, this is a minimum wage customer service job (even if you miraculously land a full-time contract), and for the high-end quality output that management expects, this is not proper compensation. Among other hallmarks like their blatant favoritism, gossipy social cliques, and general condescending attitude, GE Leadership will also do whatever it takes to belittle your achievements, and will do well to remember every mistake you make so that they can continually hold it over your head. The structure here is simple enough; in the eyes of management, facilitators are expendable resources that are brought on, promptly trained, burned at both ends, and are quickly disposed of. If they keep you at MSI long enough, they have to provide cumulative sick time and other benefits, so they try their hardest to prevent you from reaching certain benchmarks. It’s no coincidence that prospects are rather grim for anyone hoping to climb the ladder here. For these reasons, and several others, the turnaround rate at MSI, particularly in the GE department, is astonishingly high. I fear that MSI will continue to hemorrhage employees if some of their toxic policies remain unchecked. I worked with some wonderful, genuine people in my time there, and I hope they can one day find places that will appreciate them more. Bottom line: If you’re looking to work at a cultural institution here in Chicago, there are plenty of other places in the area that are more deserving of your time and talents.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-02-09

May 29, 2019Talent Partner

We appreciate the time you took to provide your candid feedback, and are sorry to hear you did not find your time working here enjoyable. In regards to your comments about department leadership, we’d like to reiterate that we take any claims of favoritism very seriously and encourage employees to come to HR with any such concerns. We are also concerned to hear that you felt that management sees Facilitators as “expendable”—we value all of our employees, and especially appreciate the work Facilitators do everyday to provide amazing experiences to our guests. Many Facilitators are hired as temporary employees, and play an essential role in meeting crucial seasonal and operational fluctuations in our staffing needs. Regarding your comments about budgetary constraints, we understand that it can be frustrating to feel the organization is limited in the monetary resources available for certain projects or initiatives, but as a nonprofit organization with high operating costs, it is essential that we manage the funding we receive from donors and the revenue we collect from guests responsibly. This is also what allows us to provide world-class programming for free (or reduced cost) to hundreds of thousands of school children and Illinois residents every year. We really appreciate your comment about two-way communication between managers and staff. Based on the results of our recent employee engagement survey, this is one of four key areas of focus for the Museum in 2019, as it is very important to us that all staff feel like an open dialogue is possible with their leaders and there is a culture of trust which allows ideas and information to be shared freely. We have already instituted a few programs to address this so far this year, and will continue our commitment to finding new ways to improve in that area throughout the year, and in coming years.

Continue reading
  8. "Lovely place to work, but growth is limited."

Pros

Great work/life balance, benefits, and time off. It is a very unique exciting place to work.

Cons

Navigating the internal departments can be a pain. Museum wide communication is very problematic at times. Pay could be better.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2019-01-28

March 5, 2019Talent Partner

Thank you for your review! We’re very proud of being a great place to work for all the reasons you listed here! In order to continue to grow as an even better workplace, one area we have been focused on in recent years is cross-departmental communication and collaboration. We have already seen a good deal of growth in this area, including increasing the use of cross-departmental work groups, and are excited to continue to facilitate ways for staff to connect with each other across functions. If you have any additional ideas on how we can we can best foster museum-wide communication, we encourage you to share them with your supervisor or your HR Business Partner.

9. "GAR (ticket sales)"

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative

I have been working at The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago) part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's fairly an easy job and the manager is very flexible with your schedule, great if you are a student.

Cons

Some of the workers are mean and not much room for wage increase. A lot of favoritism as well.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2018-12-04

February 28, 2019Talent Partner

Thanks for your feedback! We know how important flexibility is to many of our part-time staff, and are glad to be able to work with people’s schedules. We are concerned to hear that some of your coworkers have not made you feel entirely welcome and included while at work. While no workplace is completely free of interpersonal conflict, we make every effort to provide the tools and resources staff may need to overcome these issues. Equity is also very important to us, and we take allegations of favoritism very seriously. Please don’t hesitate to contact your HR Business Partner if you feel you are being treated unfairly.

Continue reading
  10. "Great work environment, low pay wages"

Former Employee - Facilitator

Pros

Met the best people ever working there. Staff is amazing. Always something new to learn. Fun environment.

Cons

Long days on your feet. Low pay for lots of work. Expensive benefits.

The Museum of Science and Industry (Chicago)2018-10-02

November 12, 2018Talent Partner

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We’re so proud of our employees and overall culture, and love to hear when staff feel that as well. In addition to a great environment, we also strive to offer competitive and fair compensation, benefits, and perks to our employees. We are continually assessing our practices to ensure we are paying employees fairly and appropriately, and our most recent evaluation resulted in us being able to increase the hourly rate for most Facilitators. We regularly benchmark our benefit plans from national surveys, based on size and location of other organizations, and our assessment done this year shows MSI’s health plans are either similar to or better than our peer organizations, while our retirement program is stronger than these organizations in company match, vesting, and waiting period to enroll. We continue to evaluate these factors, and are committed to providing the best compensation and benefits package that we can to our employees.

Found 78 reviews