KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The N2 Company

Is this your company?

The N2 Company

Add a Review

The N2 Company Employee Reviews about "area directors"

Updated Feb 18, 2020

Found 29 of over 419 reviews

4.5
The N2 Company CEO Duane Hixon
Duane Hixon
Pros
  • "I also love being creative with my publication(in 47 reviews)

• "I started out with N2 as an Account Executive responsible for advertising sales for an Area Director with N2(in 43 reviews)

• Cons
  • "You have to be financially stable enough to support the ramp-up period for your publication(in 38 reviews)

• "Only 10% of those who start actually get to print, especially if you are in a market already saturated with other Area Directors(in 29 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of The N2 Company and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "area directors"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Love N2!

Aug 22, 2019 - Area Director in Wilmington, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the unlimited income potential, the flexibility, ownership, and most importantly the culture and the people!

Cons

I don't even want to list is under the 'cons' section, because it isn't - it is simply setting proper expectations that all of the amazing and wonderful things about the Area Director Role are things to be earned - not given on day one. You need to work hard, hustle, and be disciplined, and you will rock this role.

2. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 3 years

Have Lawyer read the agreement before you sign

Feb 18, 2020 - Area Director in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Your local colleagues are usually great to work with and provide all of the training and support that the company does not give you.

Cons

This is not an employment opportunity. There is no salary, guaranteed income, benefits, or commission. Not sure why they are soliciting on Glassdoor. This is an unpaid position for 6-14 months, and you cover all of your own expenses. N2 converted to a franchise model two years ago to avoid IRS and Dept of Labor scrutiny with their independent contractor agreement. They want you to build a community publication from the ground up. This means selling at least $150K in advertising before you get paid, establish all content, establish all neighborhood relationships, hire and pay your own staff, and pay for the insurance that cover their liability. While it states that you are buying a franchise, you own absolutely nothing. N2 owns everything that you sweated to build. Don't let them use their talking points to say you own the clients. Try leaving the company and take them. Only 10% of those who start actually get to print, especially if you are in a market already saturated with other Area Directors. Businesses are sick of hearing about N2, and those who have tried it leave without a single customer and will never be back. Word spreads and the N2 name is a dirty word in many of the larger markets. The leadership plays the "faith based" company pitch which is just to get potential applicant's guard down. You don't need to believe me. Have any attorney read the Franchise disclosure and they will strongly advise you to run away as fast as you can. If you have the ability to ramp up and run your own community magazine, do it yourself. N2 charges over $10 per magazine shipped including the royalty. You can produce the same thing anywhere for just over $2. If you are distributing to 1000 homes, that is over $100K a year in your pocket extra. Then you build equity for real, can sell your business, borrow against the business, and build something that you run and control instead of building it for a couple of guys who did not spend ten cents on it. If you don't mind working to make them rich, then this is the opportunity for you. Quick books, a local printer, and a freelance graphics person is all you need to replace N2's support. N2 is not a publishing company they are a recruiting company that has a printing press.

10 people found this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Hi, there. You’re correct – N2 isn’t an employment opportunity. It’s a franchise opportunity. We recognize that a sales position with no base salary can be challenging for those who aren’t geared for that kind of role. For some, a commission-based position is a benefit, but we understand that is not the case for everyone. We are very clear and transparent when explaining this to people who interview with our organization, so applicants know immediately whether they are a good fit for our model. While Area Directors are responsible for collecting content and working with clients, N2 works hard to take on as many of the other tasks involved with creating a publication as possible (including editing, designing, printing, shipping, billing, etc.). This allows our Area Directors to focus on their clients and content, not all the behind-the-scenes work. It takes a lot more than QuickBooks, a printer, and a single designer to create monthly publications like the thousands we send out every month! And by partnering with N2, ADs enjoy plenty of perks, like a competitive commission rate, uncapped income potential, a dedicated support department, and the freedom to set their own schedule. We cannot stress enough how much we regret your negative experience. We wish you the best of luck as you continue on your career journey, even if it’s not with us!

3. 5.0

Could not imagine my life without N2 Publishing

Aug 14, 2019 - Area Director in Ventura, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

N2 gave me the ability to create a new life as an entrepreneur! They provided all the training I needed to create my business and I worked hard and now have a quality of life I had never dreamed I would have, one I have always wanted. I make more than I did in the corporate world, I work with people across the country that I respect and that have become close friends in my life. Not only that but I LOVE what I do every day. I am so grateful for finding N2 through Glassdoor, it changed my life and I have never been happier.

Cons

The only con is you have to be self-motivated! No one can do the work for you, but you will have all the support and coaching you need to be as successful as our top Area Directors in the country!

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 1.0
      Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Don't sign any contracts without an attorney reviewing it.

Aug 1, 2019 - Area Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is training but mainly to get you to sell long term contracts

Cons

Do not sign the employment agreement unless you show it to an attorney first. Their employment contracts give you zero rights and may eliminate your ability to work at another job. N2 will say this is to protect everyone's interest, it just protects N2. Your attorney will tell you the same thing. You will be judged on your ability to sell very expensive; long term contracts to small businesses, You spend time trying to persuade a business to take a 3 year long agreement, they get no customers, the business wants out and N2 will aggressively go after them for payment. N2 will respond to this saying that the customer signed the agreement. what they don't say is that it was sold with false promises and expectations. That's how Area Directors (ADs) are trained to sell. Print is dying, it doesn't matter if it's hyper-local targeting or not. Gated communities are moving towards having their lifestyle magazine online where only residents can access it. You will not make as much money as they claim. N2 takes about 70% of your profits after printing, mailing, percentage of the ad value, etc. You will be required to be on conference calls and spend your own money to attend conferences out of market. You do not own your business-N2 wants you to believe it's your business, but it isn't. It's in your employment contract. Finally be cautious of the 5 star reviews - they routinely ask employees to review. I recall a contest to see which AD could get their customers to write the most reviews as well. I suggest you do a lot of homework on this company. Search N2 lawsuits along with other reviews. Good luck

2 people found this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Hi, there. While we appreciate your thoughts, there are a few points we’d like to address. The award-winning training we provide for our Area Directors does not include selling false promises. We stress the importance of clear expectations and open communication with our partners from day one. Anyone who does not follow those values is not a fit for this opportunity. We’ll also have to disagree with the idea that print is dying. We have nearly 1,000 publications in print, and impact is growing year after year. Our digital presence is also expanding in some exciting ways. It’s true we ask Area Directors and clients to leave reviews about their experiences with us, but it is never required and we never ask for 5 stars. Sites like these were created for genuine experiences, like yours, to be shared. After all, feedback helps us grow, so we’re all for it!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Dirtbags with a failing business model - Run!

Mar 22, 2019 - Area Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

For the most part, an autonomous work environment.

Cons

The vast majority of advertisers do not get return on investment for the exorbitant amount they pay for these ads and they constantly complain to area directors about it and request to cancel their contracts. Print advertising is dying faster than the speed of light. I felt so guilty taking money from these advertisers knowing that they would never make it back that I chose to leave the company. The leadership team is so unethical and slimy that they deleted their Yelp listing, which had a one-star average after hundreds of reviews. Try searching Yelp for N2 Publishing in Wilmington, NC. The leadership team will lie to your face - and tell you that if you aren't selling ads, it is your fault. But it is not your fault. You have a very limited product to work with that has no online presence and competes against google and yelp for advertising dollars. When I went through training at n2, I was told that it was my job to help businesses and find solutions for them. That is not the case - my real job was to sell ads no matter what, because if you don't, leadership treats you like a bag of garbage and tells you that you are a failure. It MUST be you - not their awful business model. I have worked many places in my career, but this is hands down the most corrupt. I would not recommend it to anyone, ever. I am truly embarrassed that I was ever associated with this company. I give them MAYBE another five years before they totally disappear. N2 will tell you that you can make 10K a month working for them if you commit to it. The truth is, 2/3 of the company make less than 5K a month, committed or not. Can you support your family on that? And by the way, I made a decent living with n2 and still walked away.

10 people found this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Hi there. We see your opinion of us is unlikely to change, but we’d like to take a moment to address some of the claims in your review for anyone else who might be reading. While print is certainly seen as a “dying” industry, the hyper-local, personal nature of our print publications has placed us onto the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing companies for eight years in a row. We’re continually evolving the way we do things, while staying true to our values and core beliefs, so we know our growth is set to continue. This growth is propelled by the continuous positive feedback we receive from Area Directors, advertisers, and readers alike. One of the values we treasure in our team members and our leaders is transparency about our company and how we treat people. While it seems this opportunity was not for you, we appreciate you letting us hear your thoughts. In that spirit, we cannot stress enough how much we regret your negative experience working with us. We wish you the best of luck as you continue on your career journey, even though it's not with us.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company with Amazing Leadership

Jan 14, 2019 - Area Director in Waco, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Best atmosphere and company culture. Continually ranked as one of the best companies to work for. Consistent training and assistance from management. Franchise owners are some of the best to work with and learn from. Neighborhood publications are very well received and loved by residents of the communities they serve.

Cons

Ramp up can be challenging for potential new Area Directors who need income sooner. However, can also be rewarding once completed. Smaller town Area Directors can be somewhat isolated from other Area Directors in larger cities where there are more communities.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Over a Decade of Great Times at N2 Publishing!

Nov 26, 2018 - Area Director in Saint Louis, MO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers that are like a second family, work-life balance, autonomy, abilities to learn, grow and personally develop, and opportunities for leadership development are just some of the reasons I loved my time with N2 Publishing (almost 13 years now). I couldn't say enough good things about this company and its culture. I may not stay with the company for life, but I honestly can't imagine what it would take to get me to leave them.

Cons

I can't really think of any downsides of working with N2....the only downsides with the Area Director role would be the same downsides you'd find working for yourself in any position. If you can't handle working for yourself, where you are responsible for your own livelihood and future, then don't buy this franchise. But if you CAN legitimately handle running your own business, then you'd be remiss not to look into this company.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Perfect opportunity for life changing transition...

Sep 29, 2018 - Area Director in Johnson City, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility of schedule. Potential for six figure income and beyond. Great support from the company. Excellent training. A company with superb integrity. The company culture is unprecedented. Ability to own you own company with minimum financial investment. After serving in full-time church ministry for over 30 years, my wife and I were looking for an opportunity to move to her hometown. This is when we found N2 Publishing. A friend in Alabama had started a publication and introduced to the concept. We found a publication in Johnson City. The current Area Director had moved and was looking for someone to manage the publication and eventually become the Area Director. In June of 2015, we made the transition to Johnson City to become the publication manager of Life at the Ridges and became the Area Directors in January of 2017. Simply put, this has been a "life changing" experience and perfect fit.

Cons

Need to tweak the Area Director position to include a husband and wife team. Takes a several month commitment to start earning an income when starting a publication.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0

Area Director

Oct 9, 2018 - Area Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Low cost to start up

Cons

N2 is great for people who are self sufficient and self starters. There is almost zero aid to help in learning unless you are lucky enough to live by the vast majority of Area Directors in your market, otherwise you are on your own. If you choose to “sell” your publication to leave for any reason they have the right, and will, to just take it and hand it to someone else to run without requiring you to be paid for YOUR business. It does not matter how many years you invested into growing it. As far as the overall product the magazine is great however maintaining ROI for clients is a serious issue that results in a lot of problems with retention. I believe the vision set out is great, but the implementation on the field level is terrible.

6 people found this review helpful

Director of Human Resources

Hi there. While this post is anonymous, I see from your review you are currently working with N2. I would strongly encourage you to reach out to your leader and talk through some of these concerns with him or her. We’re here to help! We actually feel that one of our strengths is training and support, and we’d love to know whether you’ve taken advantage of every N2 resource, like our weekly sales calls, National Conferences, the Field Support team, and more. And, if you’re looking to sell your publication, your leader can talk you through that process as well. Thanks!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Area Director

Aug 20, 2018 - Area Director in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company is a Best-Practice business model with the resident newsletter magazine idustry. N2 is privately-held and the Founders are actively involved in the organization. N2 provides proprietary back-end software systems, and ongoing training, and leadership development programs. N2 is a Christian-based company with personal, family, financial, and spiritual growth & enrichment opportunities built into the culture. After having spent 18 years in the Newspaper industry, N2 is a breath of fresh air. The company provides significant opportunities for (residual) income, retirement income, Leadership development, business ownership, and structured Franchise business opportunities. The culture, opportunity, support, and relationships are certainly worth exploring.

Cons

The initial ramp-up period reqires Area Director-candidates to potentially go 3-4 mos. without a guaranteed paycheck. *This requires Focus, endurance, work-ethic, and a Winning attitude to overcome this potential issue. Hundreds of successful AD's have navigated this process / period. A well-designed, already-successful Support Team is in-place to provide hands-on support to achieve success. *No Group Healthcare coverage available.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 Reviews