The National Society of Collegiate Scholars Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stephen E. Loflin

Pros
  • The work environment is very flexible and employees are given a lot of responsibility which contributes to their professional growth & development (in 5 reviews)

• great place I really enjoyed the environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Many companies claim "fast-placed"-NSCS is truly allowed to do so (in 18 reviews)

• I began working here under the impression that I would be making a difference among college students (in 2 reviews)

1. "Moving in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organization has pared back to a core group of staff to refocus the organization on its core benefits. The current staff are a dedicated and professional bunch. They are a joy to work with. The organization has worked diligently on fixing a bad culture that resulted from the reigns being handed to the wrong person. No work environment is perfect but the organization is once again a cohesive group moving in a positive direction. The organization is poised to not just get back to its previous strengths but move past them through growth.

Cons

The organization has some baggage from the past including the negative views seen in many reviews over the past two years. Although the organization has "righted the ship," it still has some effects. But again, the organization has worked to move beyond it.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and implement strategic plans to keep growing and improving.

2. "Great."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars is an amazing opportunity and employer with nice benefits and a amazing long-term outlook.

Cons

The National Society of Collegiate Scholars does not have any salient downsides. The National Society of Collegiate Scholars provides benefits too many students, but lacks some transparency.

3. "Refreshed work culture"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Big focus on work culture this year, great team, and good level of recognition.

Cons

Lots of information and details, challenge to keep up with everything, but flexible.

Advice to Management

Improve the branding of the space, the furniture, and offer more office perks/supplies.

5. "Tresurer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (Less than a year)

Pros

Monetary Management skills, and volunteering experience.

Cons

You have to schedule time for weekly meetings.

6. "Great for beginning interns"

Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

Enjoyable work environment
    Nice staff
    You meet lots of other interns
    Pay is good (I think it's 10.5/ hourly)
    Work load is not strenuous
     Learn the basics of working in an office

Cons

Not rigorous (you won't be pushed to your limit to see how hard you work)
    Sometimes your boss won't give you assignments and you will be sitting there all day with nothing work related to do (which is not always bad)

"Run while you can...FAST"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome flexibility and location if you like the city. Very casual and lax environment.

Cons

Terrible infrastructure. Doesn't even have a steady Human Resources department so should you have concerns about any ethics and/or policies you view being violated, DO NOT GO TO THE CEO or voice anything. You WILL BE TARGETED. The company wide satisfaction survey received a negative satisfaction rate. I didn't even know you could score negatively. Just RUN. There is no structure, morale or an executive in place competent enough to do their job without making emotional decisions. An extremely unprofessional environment. It's no surprise the company is in debt and has a declining membership.

Advice to Management

To the CEO - Do not tell your employees you have an "open door policy" and allow for them to be targeted for voicing their concerns shortly thereafter. FIRE the AVP - lies on a consistent basis, ill informed but wants to her job and those of her subordinates and has yet to learn what it means to follow through, To VP's managing people - if the mission is Members Matter Most, put MEMBERS first. Do not steal their funds they rightfully are entitled to and lie to them, making up an excuse as to why they have not received them. Please get your finance department together, PLEASE! Plain and simple, hire individuals with a history of successfully managing people for executive level positions otherwise your memberships are going to CONTINUE to decline and financially remain in debt.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Member Recruitment Coordinator in Hyattsville, MD
    Former Employee - Member Recruitment Coordinator in Hyattsville, MD

I worked at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars (Less than a year)

Pros

great place I really enjoyed the environment

Cons

not much room to grow people tend to leave rapidly and consistently

Advice to Management

more incentives to make employees stay and feel appreciated

"STAY AWAY!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD

Pros

What NSCS does is a lot of fun... the organization, technically, really does a lot for college students. And the job can be fun and exciting - on the surface.

Cons

Upper management, directors, presidents and VPs, etc. are all CORRUPT. When I was there I know for a fact, saw with my very own eyes, that multiple some amazing people were forced to leave or wrongfully fired. And these were people who had been there for years! The more decisions these specific members of upper management makes, the worse the place gets. They are selfish, only do things that benefit themselves and to be honest, I'm not really sure if they actually do any real work. I resigned because my director was forced to leave and as soon as she was gone, I was next in line for the you-know-what-list. I was a passionate, hard working, involved part of the team and was turned on in NO TIME. In the last 6 months I was there 7 people left and/or were wrongly fired. That's out of a team of only 26-30 people! It has continued to be that bad and the turnover there is HORRIBLE. I just don't understand how something so amazing can turn around so quickly and just continue to get worse... and no one does anything! The organization won awards for being one of the best places to work in DC and one of the best nonprofits to work for... all the employees LAUGHED at those awards. Anyway, I would definitely think twice before even CONSIDERING to work for this organization.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP! If the CEO is as passionate about his organization (that HE founded) as he supposedly is, WHY IS HE LETTING THIS HAPPEN?! All I can think is that he must truly not care and it's all fake. And he sure has a lot of people fooled....

"Upper management decisions do not align with values of the organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at The National Society of Collegiate Scholars full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lower level employees are inspiring, hard-working, and smart. You can take a lot of vacation days. Flexible working hours. If you play to the politics, you can progress quickly.

Cons

Upper level management makes decisions that do not align with the needs of the students. While lower level employees believe and buy into the mission, upper level management only cares about the bottom line. People get fired all the time without prior reviews. A lot of office politics, especially promotions, have to do with things they shouldn't (gender, race). You will work a LOT of hours. One person HR department, which does not help with the pettiness.

Advice to Management

Revisit the purpose of the organization. Listen to team members who work directly with students, as the members should be the primary factor when making any decision. The CEO means well, but he seems to not be directly involved or impacted by decision making, which is too bad, because he seems to genuinely believe and buy into organizational values.

"A great place to launch and craft your career."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

NSCS provides opportunities throughout the spectrum of your career. It's a wonderful place to get get your feet wet as an intern, submerge yourself in an entry-level position, or dive deeper as you grow to Management or Director-level positions. NSCS exists to highlight the efforts of hard-working students, so as a team member, you're able to go to work each day and play a unique part in elevating NSCS success stories from around the nation.

NSCS supports its staff with an unbeatable benefits package: unlimited sick days, flexible vacation, free medical/dental/vision insurance, opportunities to travel, and a steady path for growth and professional development, among other benefits. The team has a lot of energy to help students, so if there's ever a better way you can fulfill that goal or ways to make the organization more efficient, your ideas are welcome and your initiative is noticed.

Cons

The organization thrives on big ideas, which occasionally means producing big results in a small amount of time. This ambition is certainly not a negative thing, but should be managed carefully. Simply understand your personal work ethic, ideal work environment and pace, and speak up when you need assistance. Your team is there to help!