The Nature Conservancy Reviews | Glassdoor

The Nature Conservancy President and CEO Mark R. Tercek
Mark R. Tercek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It is a non-profit, so the salaries cannot always compete with the for profit guys" (in 14 reviews)

• "While there are plenty of 9-to-5ers, you have no such luxury in Marketing, where work-life balance is difficult" (in 7 reviews)

"Information Manager"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy part-time

Pros

Great ethicss, smart employees

Cons

None...a great place to work

Sep 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are happy to hear your enjoying your experience with TNC. We appreciate your positive input and congratulations on your successful career!

2. "Great place to work"

Pros

Outside every day, variety of jobs to do. No day was the same.

Cons

Staff meetings taking me out of the woods.

Sep 7, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to know you enjoyed your experience and no day was the same. We appreciate your feedback!

3. "Such a cool organization! Perfect for my personal goals and professional career."

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am overjoyed to have joined TNC. They literally have an evidence-based framework with an ambitious goal to help save the world, and I am excited for how my work will contribute to that. They have fair compensation, amazing benefits and perks, and a fantastic framework for approaching conservation and community development that benefits both nature and people. It's a great mix of science and community practice. And professional development is totally integrated into the yearly review process, which I love. Bottom line: my friends and family are absolutely sick of hearing me gush about my perfect new job!

Cons

I can't really think of any at this time, except the fact that I sometimes I want to keep working outside of the normal work hours--which is more about my need to set boundaries.

Advice to Management

Truly implement the Strong Voices, Active Choices community practitioner framework throughout global TNC to become an even better organization.

Sep 7, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are excited to hear you are enjoying the work you do and how it contributes to helping the planet. The Nature Conservancy values our conservation... More

4. "Best conservation organization in the business"

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Inspiring mission; a true get-it-done organization; smart and passionate colleagues; great salary, vacation, benefits; potential for work in other locales including international. I resigned from TNC after 10 years to change careers but if I ever went back to the environmental field, TNC would still be my #1 choice, hands-down.

Cons

Very few. Work life balance is an issue for many given individuals' passion and ambitious organizational goals. However, I believe it is up to the individual to set boundaries for him/herself. Sometimes there is a gap in management skills needed vs. skills possessed.

Sep 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your positive feedback and efforts toward our mission. We are very lucky to have such passionate employees. We are sure to promote a... More

5. "Challenging, Engaging and Meaningful Work"

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Welcoming staff with diverse expertise and experience. Feels good to do meaningful work with a staff of very smart people.

Cons

With every complex organization comes challenging organizational structures. Simplifying things will go a long way.

Advice to Management

Continue bringing in new perspectives - think outside the box.

Jul 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are pleased to know that you are doing meaningful work with such a talented team. Promoting diversity and creative thinking is important to us as... More

6. "A strong organization accomplishing great work"

Current Employee - Associate Director of Philanthropy
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Philanthropy

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My job at TNC is the best one I have ever had. The people and culture are top notch. The scale and scope of the work that is being accomplished across the world is incredible. The on-boarding and training are very thorough. TNC has its operation down to a science.

Cons

Being such a large organization with multiple offices has pros and cons. One of the cons is things taking a little while to get done or communications being misinterpreted. This is my first time working remotely so learning how to operate out of a virtual office is challenging, but TNC gives you everything you need to be successful when working remotely.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the transparency and reinforcing a culture that values a work/life balance and the importance of experiencing our work first hand by getting out in the field.

Jul 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so pleased to know you enjoy the people and the impactful work you do. We will continue to be transparent and promote work/life balance. These... More

7. "global impact world class perks"

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time

Pros

global impact of their work makes you feel like you are making a difference.
    THe perks of the job like professional development and technical training plus access to technology and funding is huge in conservation

Cons

some of the politics required to maintain federal funding levels may be difficult for people who have a very strong moral leaning. there is also cultural differences across the organization and some privilege imbalances especially between predominantly white American counterparts and local partners in other countries.

Advice to Management

place more value on the ideas and suggestions of local employees in small island developing states and focus on sustainable job development to reduce layoffs, which happen regularly.

8. "IT Technician"

Current Employee - IT Technician in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Miami, FL

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance.
    Lots of training opportunities,
    Staff is welcoming and appreciative of every IT work,
    The IT Department is constantly moving forward, the systems are not old or obsolete,
    Gender diversity in Management positions and opportunities for learning from other fields.

Cons

Hiring process was about four months long, other than that no cons*

Advice to Management

Keep on the great work!

Jul 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear you are taking advantage of the training opportunities and, your department is constantly being... More

9. "Best decision I ever made!"

Current Employee - Development Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Development Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people, the mission, the work culture. The people are the best I’ve ever worked with. For a non-profit, they have decent pay and incredible benefits. That may have to do with the fact that I work in San Francisco, but I’m still impressed. Very much a 9-5 work culture, and your off-work time is very much respected. Good work/life balance.

Cons

A few typical non-profit pains, but still surpasses my previous for-profit job by a mile (which says a lot about TNC).

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency, we really appreciate it! Bumping up the entry-level pay would be nice, too.

Jul 30, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to know that you are satisfied with the benefits provided and our value for work life balance. It’s important to us as an organization... More

"TNC"

Current Employee - Director of Conservation in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director of Conservation in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work in a state program and love it. Where else can you really make a difference in the conservation world?

Cons

World Office leadership is disconnected from reality. But as long as you lay low, and stay off their radar, all is cool. And if you work for a regional or higher office - it seems like you could have your job eliminated at a moment's notice

Advice to Management

Understand what your local support base is really expecting from you. Set global priorities without upsetting the local base of support.

Aug 2, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your work and, have been making an impact for all these years. When decisions are made by leadership many... More