The Nature Conservancy Reviews | Glassdoor

The Nature Conservancy President and CEO Mark R. Tercek
Mark R. Tercek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "It is a non-profit, so the salaries cannot always compete with the for profit guys" (in 14 reviews)

• "location is a issue but i work from home most of the time" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great interview and Onboarding Process"

Current Employee - Loyal Donor Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Loyal Donor Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work
    Solid Pay
    Cares about employees

Cons

Open Office
    A lot of meetings

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on diversity

The Nature Conservancy Response

Jun 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your input and are delighted to hear you're enjoying your experience here. We will continue to focus on our commitment to diversity and... More

2. "Excellent onboarding at The Nature Conservancy"

Current Employee - Major Gifts Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Major Gifts Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The orientation process at The Nature Conservancy is very thorough. It's clear the organization leadership prioritizes employees' learning and development, both during orientation and ongoing. I've felt very supported by my immediate team and employees working at other regional offices and the DC headquarters. There's a great sense of culture and passion for the work at The Nature Conservancy!

Cons

Coming from a very small, grassroots nonprofit, The Nature Conservancy feels more corporate due to the size and structure. That said, the policies and systems that feel corporate are very reasonable and clearly help make our work more efficient and effective. No complaints here!

3. "Grateful to be here"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment: TNC strives to be a flat organization (management and staff sitting on equal field) and everyone treats you with respect and value. Work-life balance is advocated for as well. No busy work or assignments just to fill your time. It's a very nice place to be. I wake up each morning excited to work at TNC.

The organization is very well respected politically and in the field. Government often calls on TNC for its advice, expertise, and direction on environmental matters. Part of this trust is due to TNC's non-confrontational approach, which can be a point of criticism, but has strongly positioned the organization for shaping policy.

Cons

Non-confrontational approach worries me given the alarming acceleration of environmental problems. The approach lends itself to being reactionary -- responding to issues rather than getting ahead of them. For example, there is no effort to build or contribute to status-quo challenging movements that may scare donors and political allies. However this might be changing. The organization is testing activation of members and hopefully, approaches that will challenge the structural issues contributing to climate change et al.

Advice to Management

Love the management - I'm really happy here. One advice would be to think about a unified vision that captures what the world would look like if we accomplished our global goals.

4. "I love this place"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Montpelier, VT
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Montpelier, VT

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-feeling good about your job!
    -freedom to make your role what you want it to be.
    -competitive salary
    -really nice people to work with
    -encouraging staff and superiors
    -no egos
    -I can bring my dog to work
    - my job had lots of fun tasks for me to do.

Cons

-there are no windows in my office

The Nature Conservancy Response

Jun 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Coordinator, Recruiting Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We are happy to hear you are truly enjoying your experience here and working with great people. We also hope you are taking the time to explore... More

5. "Doing Good for the World and For Yourself!"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employee-focused environment, smart and talented people to work with. Admirable and estimable leaders whom I'm proud to work for. Genuinely caring environment. Hard work and competency is rewarded. Waking up every day knowing you're doing your part to save the planet - it's really hard to put a price on that.

Cons

Because it's a non-profit the pay could be better. But this company tends to attract people who are motivated by values and doing good, vs. all things monetary.

Advice to Management

Keep administering and implementing the results of the People Survey. Keep opportunities for training and Chapter/Departmental retreats going. Keep taking time out of important meetings to acknowledge individual contributions. Keep doing whatever you need to do to keep the cash flowing so we can continue to do great things for the planet and stay employed. Have a strategy to reach out to younger donors to replace the older ones.

6. "A Good Place to Do Good"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong learning culture
    Highly knowledgable and motivated colleagues
    Deep commitment to getting things done. Results oriented.
    People are driven and also don't take themselves too seriously
    Competitive salary and benefits packages

Cons

Like any really large nonprofit, there is quite a bit of bureaucracy and protocol. It's all there for a reason, but if you come from smaller nonprofit work, it will feel like a lot.

7. "Flexible Organization with Strong Mission"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good compensation, flexible working conditions (in office, in the field, from home on occasion), awesome opportunities for growth, strong worldwide/national/local mission.

Cons

There are two things that I don't necessarily think are cons, but could be perceived as such: 1) Everyone wears multiple hats, and if there's a new hat, someone's trying it on to see if it will fit. So even though you have a certain title, expect to work on multiple facets of many kinds of projects in order to get them done. 2) Because of #1, every day is different. This is hard for the planner in me to wrap my brain around sometimes, but you need to have the flexibility to drop everything to work on a priority if it comes up.

8. "Best of both worlds: business and non-profit"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A strong sense of mission and accomplishing real change in the world
    Working at a scale that matters: 70+ countries and all 50 states
    An organization run with real business acumen and pragmatic, yet ambitious approaches
    A livable salary and solid benefits, including professional development
    Positive culture of valuing the whole person and supporting each other

Cons

Org structure and bureaucracy can work against our need to operate nimbly and as as a unified force.
    Plays it safe a little too often
    Insufficient reward for consistently exceeding expectations (rare promotions or bonuses) - a common trapping of nonprofits.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to be more bold or take risks in order to follow opportunities or develop and keep talent.
    Showcase yourselves more - the world should hear more about TNC

9. "the new person in town"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great people who are totally committed to the mission, organization is willing to invest in staff, commitment from the top of the organization to diversity and inclusion

Cons

Systems, especially financial ones, need a lot of work.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the mission, continue to work to engage staff, get folks better systems and tools to use to do their work

10. "Overwhelming to start, but Rewarding to stay."

Current Employee - Development Projects Coordinator
    Current Employee - Development Projects Coordinator

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing benefits, and not just for a nonprofit!
    - Great people, great mission
    - Supportive and collaborative team atmosphere
    - Stellar work-life balance
    - Summer hours: get all your hours in before noon on Friday and go enjoy a long weekend! (between Memorial Day and Labor Day - only at some offices)

Cons

- Training is overwhelming, but if you stick it out it's incredibly rewarding
    - A bit bureaucratic at times; takes forever to get anything done
    - Huge, complex organization, so there's a lot to learn right off the bat. Stay patient with yourself, take deep breaths, and you'll be fine. No one expects you to be perfect and know everything right away. If they do, that's a management problem that I haven't seen in my field office.

Advice to Management

See what you can do to streamline the training process. Orientation day is fine, but TNC is such a beast of an organization that managers should be trained in on-boarding their employees over time in a way that's a bit less overwhelming.