The Nature Conservancy Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2020

4.3
The Nature Conservancy CEO Jennifer Morris
Jennifer Morris
Pros
  • "They encourage work life balance and career development(in 48 reviews)

• "one of the most effective conservation organizations worldwide, science - based(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "People supporting day-to-day operations can feel very far removed from the conservation work on the ground(in 15 reviews)

• "efforts to foster work-life balance)(in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Portland, OR

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is truly a joy to come to work every day, and most days I leave feeling inspired and refreshed. Compensation and benefits are competitive, work-life balance and professional development are invested in and valued, there is an organization-wide commitment to increasing DEI work, the people are great, and the work is critical.

Cons

There is still work to be done to make TNC a more diverse work environment, but management is aware and actively working towards a more diverse and inclusive workforce.

November 4, 2019Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! Its great to hear that you truly enjoy coming to work everyday feeling inspired! We are also pleased to hear that you feel we are reaching above and beyond when it comes to diversity, as this is one of our core values. Thank you for your positive input and congratulations on your successful career!

2. "Meaningful work, great co-workers"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TNC has a great mission and a strong reputation in the NGO community. This was a great place to begin my career and learn from /work with smart people around the world.

Cons

There was constant change, including high-level strategy overhauls that were distracting.

3. "Toxic, unethical workplace"

1.0

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Programs, flexibility, some colleagues are great

Cons

demeaning, discrimination, bullying, harassment, unethical

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing in Arlington, VA

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than a year

Pros

TNC is making a difference in climate change.

Cons

Atmosphere is very hard to break into.

June 16, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback . We are happy to hear you believe your work is making a difference! During these unprecedented times our workplaces look different but we are find new ways to stay connected and keep our community engaged.

5. "Great science, good fundraising, terrible senior management"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Expert

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Saving the planet is a great mission.

Cons

Donor base trends conservative and the organization tiptoes around it, executive level leadership is clueless (there's now a new CEO so hopefully that has changed) and the fundraising structure encourages siloing.

June 26, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and your support for our mission. TNC is committed to carrying out our work with accountability and transparency. We seek to make use of every dollar donated with careful attention to efficiency. Creating a culture that inspires managerial excellence is very important to us as an organization. We are providing more tools, support and training to achieve this. If you have any further feedback to share, please contact us at recruiting@tnc. org.

6. "Great team, great attitude toward innovation"

Former Employee - Membership in Arlington, VA

I worked at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-TNC is great about testing and innovating when it comes to marketing practices, so long as you can make the business case. If you can highlight revenue potential, you can normally get a project approved. -The team is supportive and collaborative. In-fighting is not a thing here. -The benefits are superb -- you won't find a better 401k employer match -- and professional development is truly a priority. -If you push to have a voice at TNC, you'll find they make room (but you need to push). -There's a strong emphasis put on using team time wisely. While TNC is meeting-heavy, there is a process followed for ensuring agendas are shared in advance and meeting time is used to accomplish tasks.

Cons

-TNC is bureaucratic, and decisions are often slow and made by committee (but on the plus side, decisions DO get made). -As others have noted, poor performance is rarely addressed unless there's a personality conflict. -There is some tension between state marketing and WO marketing efforts, largely in terms of who is authorized to conduct what fundraising efforts. -Because the hard numbers are what's favored by leadership, creativity is sometimes undervalued if return isn't immediate.

May 22, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed a supportive team and the benefits TNC has to offer. TNC has a strong organization cultural as we are know for our important mission and unique set of values. Our passionate employees are the heart of our work and we have an proactive approach to performance. We strive to link organizational goals with employee contributions towards those goals, with a concentration on professional development. We would like to hear more about your experience and ways we can improve. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org.

7. COVID-19

"TNC"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You'll come for the mission, stay for the people. Very friendly and social environment. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Like many nonprofits COVID-19 is presenting us with challenges.

May 12, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear you have been enjoying your experience here over the years! As we navigate through these difficult times, its amazing to see employees coming together to help others in need and find new ways to stay connected. We are truly grateful for our supportive and dedicated people!

"Amazing place to work for"

Current Employee - GIS Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Projects are interesting, challenging, and always presenting new opportunities to learn and develop new skill sets. Colleagues are passionate, supportive, and always willing to help and foster connections. There is a lot of opportunity to collaborate with external partners in multiple countries and geographies. They encourage work life balance and career development.

Cons

Some employees experience significant burnout and the turnover is higher than other NGO's

May 18, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to know you are enjoying your career at TNC and feel supported and passionate about the work you do! We are dedicated to creating an environment where staff feel valued and supported for their time both in and out of the office and field. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org org with any additional feedback and ways we can better support work life balance.

"Review at WO"

2.0

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great pay, decent benefits, friendly people, does good work. TNC would have 4 stars from me if not for the HUGE con below.

Cons

They refuse, absolutely refuse, to do anything about bad managers. My manager is unprofessional, retaliatory, passive aggressive, I could go on. But "she's not doing anything illegal" so here she will stay, forever. No matter how many people under her leave. It's impossible to really complain because the teams are small. It is obvious who is saying what, and the retaliation is so petty it's easier to just "suck it up" and job search than bother to complain.

May 18, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry to hear about the difficulty you have experienced. TNC shows commitment to our values by supporting each other when concerns and issues arise. Please know that retaliation is prohibited and actions will be taken if we substantiate claims. We also understand that it can be hard to share concerns in the workplace. We are creating a culture to inspire good managers by providing more tools, support and training. Our goal is to create an environment were you feel safe, respected and heard. Please contact us at recruiting@tnc.org or your HR Business Partner so we can address your concern.

"Wonderful organization with a great mission"

4.0
    Current Employee - Fundraiser

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The organization itself has some great policies and benefits to support a flexible work style and ensure employees have a good work/life balance, which helps balance out the inevitable struggles of working for a non-profit. It is an inspiring place to work, working alongside incredibly intelligent, thoughtful people trying to make the world a better place.

Cons

However, those flexible, work/life balance policies and benefits vary significantly by the team you are on, with some teams having a much more traditional management style while others operate more as a start-up.

May 12, 2020Talent Acquisition Coordinator

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! It's great to hear that you are enjoying your career with TNC and are inspired to work here! As a decentralized organization with multiple business units across the globe, we recognize that the way people experience working at TNC will vary by business unit, geography, and work responsibilities. Our goal is to support the work/life balance and flexibility needs of employees in all of our locations as consistently as possible. Your feedback is appreciated!

Found 360 reviews