The Nature Conservancy "non profit" Reviews | Glassdoor

The Nature Conservancy Employee Reviews about "non profit"

Updated Oct 11, 2019

4.6
The Nature Conservancy Interim CEO Sally Jewell (no image)
Sally Jewell
Pros
  • "Awesome work/life balance (35 hour work week)(in 43 reviews)

• "Large conservation organization working on a lot of initiatives provides ample opportunity to learn and grow(in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • "People supporting day-to-day operations can feel very far removed from the conservation work on the ground(in 15 reviews)

• "Still a non-profit, so you have to be patient with the pace of change(in 14 reviews)

Reviews about "non profit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, hard working, good cause and mission, flexible

Cons

Non profit salaries, office locations

The Nature Conservancy2019-10-11

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Staff dedicated to a great cause, flexible working hours, zero micro-management, good salary (for a non-profit), TONS of optional training available. People are happy here! I just love it.

Cons

The only con I can think of would be that they do no offer a lot of vacation time off when you first start and it is not negotiable (2 weeks).

Advice to Management

Increase the vacation time to 3 weeks to start and 4 weeks after 2 years - increase up to 6 weeks off as an employee's time at TNC grows.

The Nature Conservancy2019-08-22
  3. "Work with the best"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Bozeman, MT

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy part-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked in the national and international non-profit world for 25 years and can say without a doubt that The Nature Conservancy has some of the very brightest minds in the world passionately addressing the key issue of our times - how to regain our connection with the Natural World.

Cons

As the world's largest environmental organization it is sometimes difficult to be nimble

The Nature Conservancy2019-04-03
  4. "Doing Good for the World and For Yourself!"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Specialist

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great employee-focused environment, smart and talented people to work with. Admirable and estimable leaders whom I'm proud to work for. Genuinely caring environment. Hard work and competency is rewarded. Waking up every day knowing you're doing your part to save the planet - it's really hard to put a price on that.

Cons

Because it's a non-profit the pay could be better. But this company tends to attract people who are motivated by values and doing good, vs. all things monetary.

Advice to Management

Keep administering and implementing the results of the People Survey. Keep opportunities for training and Chapter/Departmental retreats going. Keep taking time out of important meetings to acknowledge individual contributions. Keep doing whatever you need to do to keep the cash flowing so we can continue to do great things for the planet and stay employed. Have a strategy to reach out to younger donors to replace... the older ones.

The Nature Conservancy2018-05-21
  5. "Mission-driven, very large matrixed organization"

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time

Pros

Great benefits package; competitive salaries - particularly for non-profit sector;

Cons

some high levels of bureaucracy but great colleagues

The Nature Conservancy2018-03-22

"Stands out among environmental non-profits"

Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at The Nature Conservancy part-time for more than a year

Pros

The willingness to take an economic approach to environmentalism brings more people into the fold. It's nice to be part of a non-profit which already has the means to affect big change.

Cons

Still a non-profit, so you have to be patient with the pace of change.

The Nature Conservancy2018-01-27
  7. "Wonderful Organization"

Former Contractor - Restoration Technician in Markham, IL

I worked at The Nature Conservancy

Pros

Doing very important work. The employees are generally passionate about what they do, which is very important.

Cons

It is a non-profit, so the salaries cannot always compete with the for profit guys.

The Nature Conservancy2017-09-08

"Great mission, office culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work towards a meaningful mission with talented, intelligent, interesting, and hard-working co-workers and volunteers. Room for advancement and strong professional development opportunities, lots of on the job learning resources. Good pay and benefits for an environmental non-profit. Great work environment.

Cons

Pay not competitive with for-profit work, working for a mission you believe in can make it challenging to find your work life balance depending on the individual.

The Nature Conservancy2016-12-05

"Conservation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at The Nature Conservancy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

mission-driven and global impact large non-profit with fairly deep pockets staff are driven by the mission and people are great to work with

Cons

decentralized lots of pressure on staff to do more inability to really prioritize

The Nature Conservancy2016-08-30
  10. "Fast-paced and rewarding work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at The Nature Conservancy

Pros

The people that work here are kind and all share a common goal. The atmosphere was welcoming, fast-paced, and encouraged collaboration between groups. The office was beautiful and was generally a happy place.

Cons

As a non-profit, its large size means that sometimes tradition or bureaucratic inertia outweighs newer approaches to conservation.

The Nature Conservancy2016-04-26